Start by marking “Patriot (A Brooke Kinley Adventure #1)” as Want to Read:
Patriot (A Brooke Kinley Adventure #1)

Patriot (A Brooke Kinley Adventure #1)

What would you do for your country? In Afghanistan, a US Army Patrol is devastated by an enemy with sophisticated weaponry, while in D.C., Pentagon staffer Scott Jenson tips off the ambitious young reporter Brooke Kinley about a billionaire businessman’s involvement in terrorism. But why is the White House determined to protect this businessman, and why does the answer see ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Patriot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriot

Jules
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, bookclub
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It's not fully the genre I would normally go for, but I was strangely attracted to it after my close friend Claire reviewed it. In fact, that was one of the first things my hubby said when I told him what I was reading, so he was surprised to hear how much I was enjoying it each day, and how I needed to read more in order to find out what was going to happen. I've been reading really late the last few nights, as I've struggled to put it down.

It was very well writ
A.S. Bond
Apr 10, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am the author and I'm not about to review Patriot! That's up to you guys. However, I would like to give readers a little glimpse behinds the scenes, as it were, as there is quite a story behind the writing of this story!

When I sat down to write my adventure thriller Patriot and the old advice ‘write what you know’ came to mind, I realized what I knew was wilderness survival, bear encounters and cedarwood canoes. The first in my new series of ‘Brooke Kinley Adventures’, my novel is, in part, ba
Fungi From Yuggoth
This UNSTOPPABLE thriller begins with a BANG (literally) and the tension never eases. Extreme danger; military action; secrecy, covert maneuvering and intrigue in HIGH places. I don't believe I took a breath the entire time. As a thriller/political espionage aficionado, I rank THE PATRIOT in the pantheon of the BEST.
Kathleen
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Patriot, the first book of the Brooke Kinley Adventure series, author A.S. Bond weaves a riveting political thriller that transports the reader all over the world from Afghanistan to Washington D.C. to the Canadian Wilderness as Daily Post staff reporter Brooke Kinley embarks on a journey to uncover a traitor promoting terrorism before another deadly attack occurs.

Author A.S. Bond easily draws the reader into this fast-paced story that has enough intrigue, tension, suspense, danger, secrets,
Kelly
I love thrillers...and I love detailed minutiae about politics and weaponry etc. However, after reading over a third of this book I just didn't care. It never seemed to go anywhere. So too many books, too little time....
Jim Mullin
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, modern day thriller which surpassed many of the best sellers with a believable story in a well written manner. Surprisingly it is a featured "Kindle" free purchase. I highly recommend it.
Diane Coto
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Have you ever thought a job in journalism would be dangerous? It all depends upon how far the journalist is willing to go to secure a story. Brooke Kinley chases the story – no matter where it goes. The novel begins with a technologically advanced surface to air missile that brought down a US Apache helicopter in Afghanistan. The missile was guided by a microchip made in the US. So, who provided this advanced technology to use against our own? In this fast-paced thriller, Scott Jenson, Pentagon ...more
Melek
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, read-to-review
It could have been particularly good, if if weren't be this boring.

All the main characters in the book are strong people that ready to take action when they consider the situation. However, most of the times, I had no idea what they were trying to do. Alright, Brooke was easy, she was trying to get some evidence about the M guy's evil stuff and Scott was doing the same, but after a while, it was more like Scott was some kinda Jack Bauer and Brooke was a little helper, which is a little funny sin
Melissa Swedoski
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
When you pick up Patriot, you assume you already know what's going to happen: international spies, espionage and thrills, with the only difference being that a woman is the star of the series, instead of a man. But you'd be selling the Brooke Kinley series short with that conclusion.

You can taste the dirt, feel the heat, and find yourself clinching the pages (or the e-reader cover) as you follow Brooke's adventures, as she's thrown into the international world of terrorism that most of us are ab
Renee
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How grand it is when the language and the plot overcome production, style, and grammar! Okay, not so much the grammar, the grammar is pretty good as one would expect from a journalist. There's a little bit of rushing and a few odd stylistic moments.

But never mind any of that. I admit, I'm a snob and I have indeed stopped reading a book when the style or layout was too sloppy. But with a plot? Especially a really great one. And with compelling prose? I'm all yours.

A. S. Bond turns writing what
Rosie Amber
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Patriot is a fast paced thriller. The scene is set with an attack of an Afghan compound and a US Apache helicopter brought down by an advanced missile.

Spoiler Alert;

Scott Jensen works in intelligence for the Us Department of Defense in Washington a friend contacts him about evidence picked up from the Apache attack, the surface to air missile had a very advanced laser guided by a micro-chip made in the US. The technology is owned by New York billionaire Jean Maynard, friend of the President. Whe
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I’ve had this book sat on my kindle since buying it in June 2015. It’s one of those ones that you get on a whim and then keep putting off reading it. The reason for this is because the nature of the story is not something I usually love but had heard some good things about it and wanted to give it a go. Well, I am so glad I finally did get round to reading it as really enjoyed it.

The opening chapter has the reader right in the thick of the action and from that point on, I was well and truly hook
Marjo
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book Readers Review

Patriot by A.S.Bond is a winner of an Honorable Mention at the San Francisco Book Festival 2014. A well deserved award. Bond's novel is a thriller full of intrigue, conspiracy, and suspense. An ambitious young reporter takes a dangerous and terrifying journey to the remotest parts of the world. Brooke Kinely receives information from a source in the Pentagon of a high ranking businessman's part in terrorism. A sophisticated weapon wipes out a U.S army patrol and Brooke tries
George
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
THIS WILL KEEP YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT
Big business conspires to reverse the American President’s decision to drawdown troops in the Middle East using staged terrorism, timely political assassinations, and more. The goal? To keep America strong (thus the title) and profits up. Deputy Director of the counter-intelligence division within the Department of Defense, Scott Jensen, is thwarted by his own bosses in his attempts to track industrial espionage following the downing of an American Apac
Claire
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brooke is a journalist hot on the heels of the story of a lifetime, but, getting all the gory details and making it out alive is another matter. Brooke will need all her wits about her and some assistance along the way in order to break the news.

This Brooke Kinley Adventure by A. S. Bond is fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat stuff. Barely leaving time between chapters in which to catch your breath before you're flung into the next assault on your emotions.

This novel gripped me from the outset and put
Tomasz Chrusciel
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Daily Post reporter, Brooke, is approached by the Pentagon officer, Scott. As they already know each other, and he trusts her, he asks Brooke to discreetly investigate an important matter in relation to a deadly incident in Afghanistan. American soldiers have been killed, and Scott suspects that his own country – maybe even the President – might not be without guilt.

Brooke’s research leads her to the Canadian north. From now on, things are slowly getting out of her control, but she believes that
P.e. lolo
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is a fast paced story that starts out in Afghanistan, then takes you to D.C, New York, Canada with phone calls across to England. Scott the main character or one of them really without trying to gets some of his friends into life and death situations that were more than any of them thought they would be. Brooke the reporter does find someone to help her but he is also looking for his brother who happened to be in the same area before and now has gone missing. A lot of intrigue and wonderin ...more
Jay Williams
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Patriot is a thriller, filled with suspense, that carries the characters and the actions from the halls of Washington to the wilds of Labrador. It was impossible to put down as the action and suspense continued from page to page. The meetings and interactions of all the spook agencies were very realistic, and the knowledge that someone highly-placed in the chains of command was a traitor made for a most difficult investigation to connect the dots between terrorists, weapons manufacturers, top po ...more
Randy Evans
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fast moving terrorist story which starts in Afghanistan with the enemy using weaponry they shouldn't have to D.C. where some good guys look for government bad guys to a reporter sent to the Canadian wilderness looking for clues to it all who teams up with a scientist who's falls from the sky (with his plane) into a lake. Turns out the scientist is there looking for his little brother who had the bad luck of crossing paths with the terrorist that are plotting to set off a EMP near D. C. There's ...more
Bookangels12
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read and reviewed by Snow White

WOW! This book is full of suspense. Its a thriller I could not put it down it was a page tuner. If you want a book you can not put down this is the one. I read it in one day. I can not wait to read more by this author. I am not going to tell you much about what I read as I want you to read this AMAZING book. You will not regret it.

The 4th of July is coming up that would be a great time to grab this book and read it!

5 stars all the way a+

Book Angels12 Was given a co
Nicolene
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everything I ask for in a book, it's here. Action, adventure fact based actually knowledge and a touch of romance, it's all here! Brook is the perfect female lead character,strong, independent and perfectly capable of saving herself and any passing men that come crashing down in the middle of a lake.
It's the kind of book that makes you want to read a sequel. I hope there's plans for a follow up?
Crislee Moreno
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love a free book. This like many is one that I chose because it sounded 'ok' and was free on Amazon for a week. I liked it. And it was very clean. I don't recall one single bad word (not that I'm opposed, but sometimes I wish some were cleaner so my girls can read them too) and not one sex scene. And still very good...so those who think you need both...you don't! lol
Lauren Bromley
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
It didn't take me long to get through this book. It was one I didn't want to put down. I look forward to more Brooke Kinley adventures, as this one was thrilling. I was a little disappointed in how short it was, but maybe I just read it so fast I miss it now that it's over. However, it is amazing that so much information and excitement was packed into a relatively short book.
Rachel
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm already a fan of action-adventure and espionage novels, but I didn't know that what I was missing was a fierce female in the drivers' seat. Journalist Brooke Kinley's first adventure takes her to places she never dreamed as she tries desperately to protect America from attack. Immensely fun and gratifying, Patriot is the book I didn't know I needed. Can't wait to read more of Brooke Kinley!
CL
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

3.5*

An enjoyable book to start the series. The book was definitely fast-paced (a good thing!) but I think when you add in a multitude of different characters, I was struggling to remember who was who at sometimes.

Still, I'll definitely be coming back for Book 2 in the series.
Michelle
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book! Very believable and wonderful character development. Strong female role as well as male roles. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to both male and female. Strong and descriptive and captures you almost immediately.
Mary Ann
What I presumed to be a 'war' book from the prologue, actually turned out to be a political and power convoluted tale of who was to be in control. A well told story of an author I hadn't read before.
Tony Lombardo
I'd read another Brooke Kinley Adventure

It was pretty good, I wasn't sure at first but the story moved right along and the character development was good. Storyline was entertaining.
Olivia Thompson
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading, fast paced and enthralling.

What an adventure. Believable characters, a sinister plot that just keeps getting more intense with every page. I recommend this to everyone that enjoys the twists and turns that make this a book that is hard to put down.
Jack Hardy
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a "Mind blowing" thriller

Excellent, believable plot with characters who come alive quickly...you're led through the twists and turns with great expertise, so enjoy!
Pump Up Your Book: Patriot by A.S. Bond 2 6 Jun 09, 2014 11:34AM

• Look Closer
  • Trans-Siberian Express
  • Sherlock Holmes Plays the Game
  • Ice Age
  • The Intern: Chasing Murderers, Hookers, and Senators Across DC Wasn't In The Job Description
  • Chasing the Lost (The Green Berets, #7)
  • Screw Friendship (Frank Friendship, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Golden Years
  • Quest (Dane Maddock #3)
  • Black Hole Butterfly (Detective Rook Black, #1)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • Against All Odds (Brainrush, #7)
  • The Teachings of Confucius
  • Ashes (Ashes #1)
  • I Warned You (Matt Ryan #1)
  • The Patriot Protocol
  • Worst Seat in the House: Henry Rathbone's Front Row View of the Lincoln Assassination
  • The Michelangelo Effect: Keys to Extraordinary Success for Ordinary People
A.S Bond is an internationally acclaimed travel writer and journalist. As the author of seven books, AS’s own adventures have taken her around the world, from the cloud forests of Central America to D.C.’s corridors of power. A.S Bond is a pen name.

Praise for AS Bond’s earlier books (written as Alexandra Pratt):

"I have known a few wonderful-crazy, damn-fool writers who would risk their lives for a