Start by marking “The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)

The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack #6)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  3,170 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
In the sequel to The Tomb, Repairman Jack returns in a chilling adventure set against the backdrop of a Queens house haunted by the ghost of a nine-year-old girl as Jack becomes embroiled in a terrifying struggle in which the forces of evil threat.
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Edition, 518 pages
Published April 19th 2004 by TOR Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Air

Nick
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Repairman Jack heads into straight horror territory this time around. Haunted houses, ghosts, child killers, bogus psychics and the other still lurking in the background. This one is dark and creepy!
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
And again we're here with Repairman Jack. This is another good addition to the series and while there are things in it that almost cost it a star (the book tends to slow up a bit as it spins out the various threads of the story that will need to be woven together at the end) it also has an interesting little twist buried in it.

The Repairman Jack series begins with The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) which is listed as #2 in the Adversary cycle. Now if you look at the list of the books they don't act
Jason
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
5 Stars

The Haunted Air by F Paul Wilson is the 6th book in The Repairman Jack Series and to me they keep getting better and better. Wilson has done things the smart way in that he has taken the slow approach to the development of our main character and his underlying main story. The Haunted Air is a book that centers on Jack, his family, and the Otherness. The haunted house story along with the creative con artists make this a very fun read. I have found that I cannot seem to get enough of this
David Agranoff
This might be the best of the Repairman Jack series so far. Legacies (#2) was the best plotted, Conspiracies (#3) is probably the most fun, and Hosts (#5) was the most heart-breaking. The Haunted Air is the most perfect blend so far. It has all the elements that make a great Repairman Jack novel and it is a quick fun read.

It is fitting that Wilson does a slight of hand plot wise, he has done that before with Legacies and The Keep. Those novels will dupe you with misdirection. Well F.Paul Wilson
Jadewik
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Haunted Air is installment #6 in the Repairman Jack series, and while it's a bit different than the others, it's still a great read. For anyone who's not aware of Repairman Jack, think about the old television show called "The Equalizer," add in a bit of HP Lovecraft and you're pretty much there. He's a man who lays low, under the radar, and wants to keep it that way. But you definitely want him on your side. In this episode, Jack makes the acquaintance of two brothers who are psychics (or a ...more
Michael Hall
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to put down a Repairman Jack book once you start reading one, and Haunted Air was no exception. The writing is easy to follow filled with action, suspense, and a dry sort of humor. What begins as two separate cases eventually ties together as another piece in the cosmic battle of the indifferent good and malevolent evil that Jack is involved in. It was a thing of beauty to see the sting come together against the big shot medium that was making trouble for Jack's clients, who in turn we ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I've been reading these Repairman Jack novels in no particular order over the past several years. This one is the most fun of all the ones I've read so far. It has a lot more humorous dialogue, and manages to be both whimsical and seriously creepy at the same time. And the little twist at the end was perfect! I'm surprised Wilson didn't go anywhere with the Lom reference, though. He probably just threw that in to amuse alert readers like me. :)

The main plot deals with a haunted house and ring of
Bryan457
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror, ghosts
Repairman Jack gets into some truly strange jobs involving a haunted house, an angry ghost, a turf war between psychics, and a ring of adepts who are into child sacrifice.

There was some amusing dialog between Jack and Gia. His fix on the psychics was neat, and I enjoyed the expose on the tricks of the psychic's trade.

There seemed to be a lot of crossover references to some other books set in this universe/reality. I think it is probably "The Adversary Cycle," though the only one of those I have
Stacy Kingsley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had its ups and downs (yes, I know that's cliche, but it fits). The book involved a haunted house, the murders of children, a fake psychic, and once again, the ever annoying Gia. This was not a bad book in the series of Repairman Jack. Also, this is one where you don't really have to follow the rest of the series to understand what is going on.

There were parts of this book that were fabulous, and exploring the world of real and fake psychics was very interesting. I love a good haunted
Chris Tweitmann
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again, Jack finds himself caught up -- or is he being drawn towards? -- a multitude of supernatural happenings. A haunted house. A restless and vengeful ghost. A turf war between psychics. A circle of believers pursuing immortality through horrific, sacrificial means. And, to boot, Jack's first child is on the way. And you thought your life was full?

Easy to pick up and read. A guilty pleasure to indulge that you don't regret hours later. As always this series offers a unique and fascinating
Arlingtontexican
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better stand alone stories so far in the series.
Robin
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the vultures were circling over the carcass of Borders Bookstores, I swooped down on one of the clearance sales and picked up this book. Then I found out it was the sixth installment in the Repairman Jack series. It has perched ruefully on my bookcase since then, waiting for the day when I finally read the five books before it. Getting there has been a challenge. Some of the earlier volumes in the series are growing hard to find. I used cards in three different library systems to find them, ...more
Jan
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
The Otherness keeps trying, but they don't know Jack.
Cliff
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Was unable to stop reading....many 3 am sessions!
Joshua
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hokum pokum. Ha! Entertaining. Thanks FPW.
Lavender
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fall2017
Jack's life keeps getting deeper into danger. Nothing is coincidental anymore. Recommended to fans of horror.
D.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one better than the previous novel, HOSTS, so that's something. This time, Jack's recovering from the events of the previous novel when he winds up in another situation that demands his attention. As usual, Jack's unique skills -- and the fact that he's now apparently a nexus for coincidences -- lead to his involvement in a haunting, serial murder, immortality, and some psychic charlatans.

As usual, Wilson's writing is compelling, and there are some great action sequences. This nove
Benjamin Thomas
I always know I'm in for a good read when I pick up a "Repairman Jack" novel. "The Haunted Air" by F. Paul Wilson is the 6th in the series about a guy who lives in present day New York City and specializes in fixing things for people. Just about any job is doable if approached the right way. Jack lives off the grid: no Social Security Number, no bank accounts, no tax returns, numerous aliases and a great sense of handing out his own brand of justice.

One of the things I love about this series is
Jane Stewart
Excellent for watching Jack out con the con artists, but it’s not my preferred genre.

STORY BRIEF:
Repairman Jack is a man who has lived without an identity for most of his life. When police and other authorities are no help, people hire Jack. He stops bad guys from doing harm. He doesn’t like publicity, so it’s word of mouth for people to find him. This is one in a series of books about Repairman Jack. In this story, Junie needs a ride to visit Ifasen, a psychic. Jack and his girlfriend Gia give
Zade
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Wilson's Repairman Jack novels present me with quite a dilemma. I don't at all care for supernatural or horror stories, but I really like Jack. I came into the series backwards, first reading the recently written prequels describing Jack's early days in NYC. These novels I enjoyed a lot. They are almost entirely free of supernatural elements and really emphasize Jack's moral code and his particular abhorrence for anyone who hurts children. As a fan of Andrew Vachss (both his fiction and his real ...more
David
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The reason to read an F. Paul Wilson is that he is a good story teller who has a knack for action sequences, but also for creating off-beat and charming characters. Book after book, it is fun to check in with Jack, Vicky, Gia, Abe and Julio, just to see what they are up to. Wilson will never be confused with William Faulkner -- his books are written at the vocabulary level of a Junior in high school -- but generally the stories are entertaining.

Not so much with "The Haunted Air". The characters
Kelly
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I loved his other book, Crisscross, I bought this book with a paralyzing fear-induced apprehension. How many times have I read a great book and then went for another in the series only to be disappointed? Too many times. After putting the book down, my cup runneth over with glee. With a buffet of vengeful ghost, bloody sacrifices, evil entities and a hefty portion of violence on the side – this is horrifyingly scrumptious.

The sixth novel in the Repairman Jack series, you will have no trou
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm kind of obsessed with this series and am so glad I finally started reading it. These books just make me happy. Not that the content is happy, but Jack is such a great character, I miss him when he's not around...uh I mean when I'm not reading about him. Yep I tend to fantasize a little too much about my fictional heroes, but a great guy is hard to come by especially one that is seemingly poised to save the world!

This book focuses on two brothers, con-men and fake psychics who are experienci
Ethan
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
So I'd rate this book somewhere between two and three stars. The writing is clean and uncomplicated, with a fair bit of dry humor, which I enjoyed. There is a lot of action--plenty of plot to go around--with just a few lulls. I got the feeling that it wasn't closely edited ... there's a number of typos and garbled syntax that a copy editor should have caught, and a bit of rehashed exposition.

Spoilers follow.

My problems with the book stem from the (incredibly) cliched story bits. Why oh why would
Xan
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This dialog is wack, yo.

I very much enjoy the works of F. Paul Wilson, and the escapades of Repairman Jack. These books are fun, and I'm not reading them for the writing skills. Wilson is good, but I don't expect these books to be amazing works to be studied for centuries. Long story short, with good characters and compelling stories, I can usually forgive things like bad writing.

However, Wilson really does himself a disservice in this one in the way he voices the character Charlie. Charlie an
Alain Dewitt
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Just finished this one. This is my first Repairman Jack novel. It wasn't bad. The character, an off-the-grid fixer who specializes in the paranormal is pretty interesting. The plot was pretty good, too. My main problem was with Wilson's dialogue.

Jack's clients in the book are two black dudes from Detroit. One of them, Charlie, is pretty street and so Wilson makes the unfortunate decision to have him speak in urban vernacular. A couple of years ago I read a book about writing by David Morrill (Fi
Richard
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favourite repairman jack novel so far and as you might as guess the books title does mean there's a ghost involved.

As is the norm Jack's has another couple of fix its set up in this novel which inevitably lead him into much more and the stakes are the highest they've ever been for Jack but on a more personal rather than apocalyptic level.

Gia gets a larger role within this novel and you get more of a feeling that when she's not playing mother bear that she can be a lot like Jack in pu
Michael
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Things are changing for Jack as he comes out of his mourning for his sister Kate. He starts out bored at a party and then he is led to a house of a medium where strange things happen immediately after walking over the threshold.

This is a very good continuation of the Repairman Jack series, though it is less of a standalone than previous books. There is a major callback to The Tomb, and now Jack's past fixes are tying more and more into current events so the reader will need to read the past boo
Matt Allen
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I wanted to like this. The first three Repairman Jack books are such enjoyable reads (The Tomb, Legacies, Conspiracies). I moderately enjoyed the previous two (All the Rage, Hosts), but the series was slipping for me. The Haunted Air was the least enjoyable yet. A lot of dialogue was cluttered or stilted. The voices of the two brothers who posed as psychics--Jack's main clients--never seemed to be consistent.

I found Wilson was telling me a lot of what was happening instead of letting me experie
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • Mister Slaughter (Matthew Corbett, #3)
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Bleak History
  • The Ghost of Greenwich Village
  • The Destructor (Lawson the Fixer #3)
  • Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt, #4)
  • Kill Whitey
  • Death Mask
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • Harry Keogh: Necroscope and Other Weird Heroes!
  • The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • Draculas
  • The Second Angel
  • Face
  • Crime Spells
  • The Whispering: A haunted house mystery
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Repairman Jack (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1; Adversary Cycle, #2; The Secret History of the World)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Harbingers (Repairman Jack, #10)
  • Bloodline (Repairman Jack, #11)
“Had his shim picks” 0 likes