Start by marking “The D'Evil Diaries (The D'Evil Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The D'Evil Diaries (The D'Evil Diaries, #1)

The D'Evil Diaries

(The D'Evil Diaries)

A hilarious, crackling, original debut about an unlucky demon, perfect for fans of Derek Landy and Eoin Colfer.

Twelve-year-old Jinx is hopeless at being evil. Which is a bit of a problem when you're Lucifer's youngest son. But when Jinx runs away from Pandemonium, the walled city he's lived in all his life, he bumps into dead girl Tommy - who's been sent to Hell for accide
Published April 2nd 2015 by Orchard Books (Hachette Children's Books)

To ask other readers questions about The D'Evil Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The D'Evil Diaries

Luna
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it – start to finish. Wouldn’t change a thing. Actually not quite true, I wanted the next book immediately upon completing the final page and was somewhat perturbed about the fact that this was not an option.

So what’s to love about The D’Evil Diaries? Well let’s start with the fact that it’s brilliantly written shall we. There is a great balance between the humour (will get to that in a moment), story, characters and have I mentioned the wonderful world of Hell yet? Though to be fair I thi
Allan Boroughs
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Twelve year old Jinx D’Evil suffers many of the problems of your average 12 year old – doing poorly at his studies, living in the shadow of his brothers and failing to live up to the expectations of a powerful and demanding father. The difference with Jinx is that he is a demon, his home is Pandemonium, the capital city of Hell and his father is none other than the Enemy of Righteousness, Prince of Darkness and Lord of the Flies, namely the Devil himself.

The D’Evil Diaries begins with Jinx being
Rachel Hamilton
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The minute I discovered The D’Evil Diaries was about a boy who wishes he could be more evil, I knew I'd like Tatum's book. I am a compulsively nice person (I blame my mum) who'd love to be a criminal mastermind. So I sympathise with Lucifer’s youngest son, Jinx, as he fails miserably in his devillish demon duties and wishes he could be more villainous to please his father.

The D'Evil Diaries is great read. Mainly because Tatum Flynn is funny. Really funny. The book is full of quietly hilarious li
Nikki Sheehan
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Children always want to rebel against their parents. So, if you happen to be Lucifer's youngest son, the only way to go is good.
Jinx is, in fact, so fantastically good that his dad has threatened to pack him off to demon military academy to learn wrong from right. Jinx runs away and fantastic adventures ensue.
But I don't want this to sound like your run-of-the-mill MG. For a start it's set in Hell. Jinx and sidekick human Tommy (who has been sent down below for accidentally killing her evil unc
N.K. Traver
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the immense privilege of reading this before publication, and wow, if you are looking for something original and funny and clever, add this to your read list immediately! Just thinking about certain scenes still makes me chuckle, and its charming cast of characters, headed by Jinx, the demon who just can't be evil, are some I can't wait to adventure with again in the sequel.

As I read this, I kept thinking how NEW everything felt. Flynn brings to life an incredibly imaginative world full of
Kat Ellis
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, hilarious adventure this book is! Poor Jinx has his work cut out for him trying to convince Dear Old Dad that he can be as bad as his siblings, and the shenanigans he gets up to with his pal Tommy along the way are just a joy to read. Tommy makes a fabulous sidekick, as does Loiter (I will forevermore describe my utmost degree of fatigue as being 'sloth-tired') and Bruce the bat. This is the kind of book that is destined to become a children's classic, and I absolutely loved it ...more
Patrick Samphire
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do not approve of this book.

It is far too much fun and far too funny. Books like this shouldn't be allowed.

If you have a child and you don't want them to enjoy themselves, you should not buy this book.
Darren
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review first appeared on The Book Zone (For Boys)

The concept of Satan having a hapless son is not a particularly new one, but never has it been as funny as it is in Tatum Flynn's The D'Evil Diaries. In fact, Adam Sandler would have been much better off handing over the co-writing duties on the truly dire Little Nicky to Tatum Flynn - it would have been a hell of a lot funnier if he had (pun intended)!

Jinx D'Evil, the main character of this book, is the son of Lucifer, but he is a pretty poo
Clare
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while a children’s book comes along that is so inventive, and witty, and different, that you want to hug it whilst reading. Twelve year old protagonist Jinx D’evil is just like any other school boy apart from the fact that he is a demon with bright red skin and wings, lives in Hell and is the son of the ruler there, Lucifer. His problem is that he is too angelic – he is no good at being devilish, and runs away from his father after disappointing him one too many times. Whilst on the ru ...more
Wade White
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you start with the youngest son of the Devil (you know, the “good” son), add a human girl who mistakenly ends up in hell (hey, anyone could accidentally feed their uncle to a lion, right?), and ask them to outwit, outsmart, and outrun a horde of diabolical demons? Gales of laughter, that’s what you get. Especially when it’s Tatum Flynn telling the story.

There’s a fine line in humorous fiction: too much humour and the reader suffocates; too little and, well, it’s just not fun
Katy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes fantasy, comedy, even adults who are children at heart!
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy of this book via First Reads Goodreads Giveaways -

This book is AWESOME! Funny and entertaining, I loved being talken on a tour of Hell with Jinx and Tommy for my guides, and the illustrations were perfectly places and brought the book to life! Loved the 'Meanwhile' sections which tied different parts of the story together, like Lucifer having hot chocolate and fondue with God in Paris! A great read, perfect for all ages! I didn't think Hell would be an ideal place to escape to
Gee
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been to Hell and back... AND I LIKED IT.
Not content to be wickedly witty and affable on Twitter, Tatum Flynn has poured such qualities into this D'Lightful tale of 12yo Jinx D'Evil, charting his friendship with a Bonehead, Tomasina Covelli (Tommy) and their quest to save the underworld.
I'm not one to spill out spoilers, suffice it to say, read this book, you won't be sorry. For the detail, the quips, the laughs, and the chance to GO TO HELL... I loved it.
Laurie McKay
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book starts with Jinx - Satan's youngest son - hanging from a tree. You can't go wrong with that type of beginning! I liked Jinx. I enjoyed his accidental 'good' disasters and the friendship that develops between him and Tommy - a girl who really shouldn't be in Hell. There's a mix of underworld/hell/Hades mythology that I really enjoyed, too. And who doesn't love a son trying to save his home and father! It's such a quick, fun, funny, interesting read!
Emma
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
An absolutely amazing UK middle grade fantasy, with a modern sense of humour that appeals to the adult reader as much as the younger fan. Very reminiscent of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's "Good Omens".
Suzy
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and funny.
Charlotte
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The D'Evil Diaries is a brilliantly written book by this debut author and a real page turner even for the adult reader. Tatum Flynn builds an imaginative, magical world that happens to be the underworld, giving the reader a frisson from discovering the unknown and the dangerous. The humour that permeates the narrative and the lively description give the story an extra, compelling edge.

Interwoven in the exciting plot and underneath the humorous voice, the author cleverly sneaks in elements of Gre
Destiny Soria
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and was insanely excited about it—and for good reason. THE D’EVIL DIARIES is a rollicking good time to the ends of hell and back, with a snarky, ne’er-do-evil demon named Jinx and an irrepressible human girl named Tommy. The unlikely duo tries to uncover a plot against Jinx’s father—who happens to be Lucifer himself—while also getting to the bottom of another mystery: why Tommy ended up in Hell in the first place. (She sort-of-accidentally killed her uncle ...more
Nilah
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story takes you right into the depths of Hell... literally. Jinx D'evil is a teenage demon who can't seem to demon right... which probably wouldn't be SUCH a problem if he wasn't also the son of Lucifer himself. Jinx's struggle between pleasing his father and just being himself lands him in the middle of a mysterious plot that threatens the future of Hell. He teams up with the demon of Sloth--a sloth!--and a wrongfully dead girl named Tommy to get to the bottom of it. The D'evil Diaries is ...more
Julie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun and imaginative read! I loved the character of Jinx, Lucifer's haplessly awkward teen who comes into his own. I laughed out loud throughout the book and enjoyed it thoroughly! An excellent and unique middle-grade read.
Mirka Breen
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not as mischievous as you might imagine, but oh so funny and poignant. This is the first in a series, and this makes me happy.
Clare Scanlan
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun book, really enjoyed it. Will be passing it on to my daughter now! The idea was great, twist at end was fun, wonderful characters
Patricia Kaniasty
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun adventure. Kind of makes me want to go to.........Hell. LOL. I loved all the characters and can't wait to read more about them in new books. This is a fun read for all ages.
Jennifer Kincheloe
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Delightful. What kid wouldn't love this book?
Chloe Dall'Osto
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. It had a great plot and a lot of humor. The main character was very interesting and hilarious.
AmeRei
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it start to end. Jinx D'evil is a useless devil but that isn't the problem because there is a bigger problem than that.
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
As an evil demon, Jinx makes a great all-round nice guy. Determined to escape mandatory attendance at Sharp Point military demon school, Jinx runs away - but discovers that sometimes the best opportunities to prove one's self come along unexpectedly.

Jinx, Lucifer’s youngest son, sucks at being evil. Tommy is a young girl who shouldn’t even be in Hell to begin with (because children are NEVER sent to Hell. Ever). When Jinx meets Tommy after running away from his father’s plan
Adele Broadbent
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
ER FLY

Author - Tatum Flynn

Age - 10+

At 12, Jinx is the youngest son of the Devil. But no matter how he tries, he can't be as evil as his big brother Dantalion, and good things keep happening when he tries to be bad. His dad (Lucifer) is angry after reading his school report, and sends him off to private tutors Blackbeard in the 18th Century, then Dracula as a last resort - but when Blackbeard ends up having a beach wedding with a mermaid and Dracula gives up blood and is the face of new milk adve
Xylene  Qien
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Allow me to break down my afterthoughts first, then the rating.
even tho you be probably seeing my rating first then my comments but whatever, i'm in this moment.

The story started out really nice and funny. My favourite part was Morgan Freeman as God. and i approve of it hahah.

The whole hell scene is indeed hellish. especially the Frozen Forest, definately sent the chills when they tripped down from a branch.

The many demons. and monsters. every creature is enlarged with a beast. and the demons ar
Ilonita50
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this books via Goodreads first reads. I am happy to discover a new writer and to read this story.

The story tells about a teenage boy D'Evil who's trying hard to receive his father's appreciation and so that his dad is proud of him. All he is doing makes his dad disappointed always and D'Evil is frustrated with his own life being different and with no friends around. Until, until the moment he decides to run away and suddenly where all the adventures take him - he earns to have and bec
Claire
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I was a few chapters in when my brain went... "This book seems like 'Little Nicky: the early years'". Thankfully that passed and I was able to enjoy the story.

While reading I had 2 suspects for the bad guy and it turns out I was right! Yay! I did like the scary carousel horses too!

This is also the start of a series. Really, I should have realized and I don't know why this annoys me but it does. Not sure if I will keep reading or not.

• Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright (Goth Girl, #3)
  • The 13th Horseman
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013
  • The Dark Wild
  • Les liens maudits (Oksa Pollock #4)
  • Mabel Jones and the Forbidden City
  • Stonebird
  • The Night Spinner (Dreamsnatcher #3)
  • The Deadly 7
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Anyone But Ivy Pocket
  • Darkmouth #1: The Legends Begin
  • Little Miss Evil
  • Dr. Critchlore's School for Minions
  • Earth Force Rising (Bounders #1)
Tatum Flynn has a cat called Friday, a soft spot for the word ‘ramshackle’, and a vagabond past which involves piloting lifeboats in Venezuela, playing poker in Las Vegas, shooting rapids in the Grand Canyon and almost falling out of a plane over Scotland.

Likes: being excited. Dislikes: being a grown-up. Hence: writes funny, scary books for kids.

The D'Evil Diaries (2 books)
  • Hell's Belles (The D'Evil Diaries, #2)