Start by marking “The Lost Year (Secrets of Neverwood, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Year (Secrets of Neverwood, #3)

The Lost Year

(Secrets of Neverwood #3)

Devon McCade is no stranger to adversity. As a photojournalist, he’s seen all manner of human struggle. And as a kid, it’s what brought him to Neverwood, to his foster mother Audrey. It’s what he’s facing now, as he and his foster brothers work to restore the once-stately mansion amidst surprising signs from Audrey herself.

But when another anguished soul arrive
Published June 30th 2014 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Year

Start your review of The Lost Year (Secrets of Neverwood, #3)
Catherine
*** 4.25 Stars ***

I felt as if this one had more raw emotion than the other two, and I'm a total sucker for that.

My only real issue with this book was that I don't think the author ever explained why Robbie ran away from home in the first place. I mean, it was established why Nicholas thought he ran away, but Robbie claimed that wasn't it (of course, he was talking to Devon at the time, so I don't know if he ever told his father that wasn't the reason). I feel like this explanation was a necessary pie
Elizabetta

Neverwood is a grand old house left to three men, Calvin, Danny, and Devon, by their foster mother, Audrey. Her spirit continues to keep watch over their lives and the house, as it did when she took them in as runaway kids.

In this third book of the anthology, we get Devon’s story. He is a photojournalist and has just returned home to Neverwood from a war assignment. Devon is haunted by what he has seen on the job, but he also carries lots of childhood demons inside. A “throwaway kid,” Devon was take
Cindi
Note that this is the 3rd story in the anthology, not the 1st as listed Goodreads. If you want to read the Neverwood stories in order, and get the full experience of them all, start with One Door Closes, then read The Growing Season (listed correctly on here), and then read where Libby Drew brings it all home in The Lost Year.

Full review of all three stories in the Secrets of Neverwood anthology can be found at -

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

In The Lost Year we have Devon's story. Devon is one of three former foster brothers to inherit Neverwood, the large home of their late foster mother, Audrey. The other two are Calvin and Danny. The brothers were never close as children and, as adults, only have Neverwood in common.

Devon is my kind of man. I have to throw that out there early.

“He wears glasses.”

Cal tilted his head, considering, as though Devon were a challenging Soduku puzzle.

“Glasses,” Devon repeated, then pressed his fingers against his eyelids. “Why did he have to wear glasses?”

I am so there with Devon on that one. I adore men who wear glasses. He also drives a motorcycle. I was hooked on him two stories back. *grin*

Of all the foster children Audrey had taken in over the years, Devon was the only one who broke her heart. He was forced at a very early age to keep his emotions at bay and this carried over to the woman who would become the closest thing to a mother he ever had.

A photojournalist, Devon travels all over the world taking photographs. When he comes home after a particularly difficult assignment, he is met by Nicholas. Nicholas' son (Robbie) ran away a year before and Nicholas has put his life on hold in order to search for him. When he sees a blurry photo of his son in a publication, he knows he must find the photographer and ask for help. That photographer, of course, is Devon. At first Devon balks, but it doesn't take long before he and Nicholas are revisiting places Devon had photographed, and seeking information about the teen. Along the way, Devon and Nicholas come together, but what happens when/if Robbie is found? Then there is the fact that Danny and Calvin aren't that thrilled over Devon helping Nicholas (the reasons are listed in the story) and this makes it difficult for Devon to not only do the right thing by Nicholas and Robbie, but to keep harmony with his brothers, who he is slowly getting close to.

It takes a lot for Devon to learn to open up - and to show emotions and actually allow himself to feel. It's beautiful when it finally happens.

Eric Angus, a very influential person in the community, has secrets of his own and he's fighting to have Neverwood taken away from Devon and his brothers. I love the resolution of that particular part of the story.

This is a great addition to an excellent anthology. While this can most definitely be read as a standalone, I highly recommend reading all three of the stories so that you can watch each foster brother as they not only find love, but are brought together as brothers to save the home their mother loved so dearly. Throw in Audrey, who in death is still trying to be there for her boys, and you get an outstanding story. Libby Drew brought everything together brilliantly in The Lost Year.

Highly recommended.

Secrets of Neverwood, the full anthology, was provided by the authors in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
Devon McCade has been able to turn his inability, and unwillingness, to emotionally connect to others into a career as a photojournalist, where he can be safe from emotional attachment, protected as he is by the other side of the photo lens – or so he tells himself. When desperate father Nicholas Hardy sees his runaway son, Robbie, who’s been missing for a year, in one of Devon’s photos, he begs for help in locating him. Devon agrees and the two set out to find the missing boy. Along the way att ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
This book was reviewed by Love Bytes Reviews!
Vanessa North
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable conclusion to the Neverwood series, and without a doubt my favorite of the three stories. :)
Secretly Reading
Good book though I didn't understand what made Nicholas so irresistible to the aloof and emotionally remote Devon.
Monika

This was a great addition to the series. I loved Devon and Nicholas and their hard fought HEA was well deserved. The only reservation I had with this story was the ending. I feel like I've been left hanging even though it didn't have the traditional cliffhanger.

Even though I had to give One Door Closes (Secrets of Neverwood, #1) by G.B. Lindsey the first book in this series a lower rating (reasons given in its review) as a whole this is a really great and is well worth the read.
Kirsty Bicknell
When I requested a review copy of The Lost Year on Netgalley I had no idea that it was the third book about Neverwood. However, the reason I ignored my usual book series OCD was that Calvin and Danny’s stories are written by separate authors and each book stands alone. Whilst Libby Drew does a fantastic job at filling in the Neverwood history for her reader, I also felt that I was missing the meaning behind certain interactions between the brothers and I now plan to read the three books together ...more
Shirley
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received The Lost Year in exchange for a fair and honest review.

4 1/2… oh, what the heck... this one deserves a 5 too. ;)

Ironically, two authors in the Secrets of Neverwood collaboration were my introduction to M/M romance. Diana Copland was the first, and Libby Drew’s 40 Souls to Keep was the second. The first few that I chose had a paranormal aspect. Since PNR is my favorite romance genre, it made perfect sense to start there. Since then I’ve definitely broadened my scope and added a lot
Kathy
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

The Secrets of Neverwood anthology concludes with Libby Drew's The Lost Year. Devon McCade is the oldest foster brother and he is definitely the most enigmatic of the three. Although he kept in touch with Audrey over the years through letters, he never returned to Neverwood after he left. While Devon is behind the renovation 100 percent, his career as a photojournalist requires frequently travel. Returning home after his most recent assignment, Nicholas Hardy asks for Devon's he
Heather C
I loved this story…absolutely loved it!

The Lost Year is the third and final story of the Secrets of Neverwood anthology.  The anthology tells the stories of three foster brothers who are brought back together after the death of their foster mother Audrey.  The Lost Year is about Devon, the oldest brother of the three, who finds his HEA with Nicholas, a man who comes to Devon enlisting his help to find his runaway son.

Like I already said, I LOVED THIS STORY!  And stayed up all night reading it.  />The
Shirley Frances
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Devon McCade returns to Neverwood for the first time in a long time. Although he remember the time spent with Audrey fondly, he still has issues with hte reason why he ended up in Neverwood in the first place.

Now that he is working closely with his foster brothers in restoring Neverwood to the place it once was he feels the urge to keep on with Audrey's work of providing others with a safe place to land.

It is through Devon's work as a photojournalist that Nicholas Hardy arrives at Neverwood. F
Christi Snow
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Rating: A-
My Review:
Reading through the series, Devon has seemed the most well-adjusted of the three men. He was the oldest and one of the first boys to come through Audrey's house. But looks can hide a lot. Like all the boys who came through, Devon had issues and Audrey saw them. He couldn't handle that and left, never to come back, which broke her heart. He couldn't handle the emotions she made him feel. He didn't want to love her...or anyone.

As an adult, Devon has spent
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Neverwood is doing what it has always done, welcoming people to come live there with open arms. The three brothers who returned have added new family members into the fold. In hopes fulfilling Audrey’s wishes Calvin, Danny, and Devon are doing everything they can to reopen the doors of Neverwood to once again be the safe haven foster home that they grew up in.
From the beginning of the Secrets of Neverwood I’ve been so curious about Devon. He was one of Audrey’s first boys. I can only image the
Joyfully Jay
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The Lost Year
is one of three books that are part of the Secrets of Neverwood anthology. Each story is available both as a standalone book, as well as as part of the larger anthology. The anthology has a really interesting premise in that all three stories feature one of three foster brothers, men who are brought back together upon the death of their foster mother. They agree to take on Audrey’s last wishes, that of reopening her home to needy children. Each of the stories focu
Brandilyn
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, read-2014
4.5*

The final story in the trilogy is about the oldest brother, Devon. One of Audrey’s first, and more troubled, foster children, he left Neverwood when he turned 18 and never looked back. He has traveled the world as a photojournalist and has seen some true horrors. By the time The Lost Year starts, he has been back at Neverwood and bonding with his brothers for months. Devon is aloof, almost cold. He has used that trait in his work and is happy alone. That is until Nicholas shows u
Tracy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All I'm going to say is I absolutely loved this Trilogy.

This book was just as good as the other Two and gave me lots to think about! It's not your typical m/m read, but a book about realising family comes in many different ways and learning to trust can open many doors including your heart!

Highly recommended!
Sandra
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
buon finale di serie ma non il migliore,forse troppa aspettativa hanno smorzato l'entusiasmo.
la virata decisamente fantasy del finale non l'ho gradita molto:peccato la coppia protagonista non è male come anche la storia.
Ch
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-gay, loved-it, 2016
I want to read Wes story
Mandi Schreiner
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a nice story but I think it lacked a bit in the romance department. I liked Devon a lot though. There is also a ghost and I don't love ghosts (but I knew that going in)

Review coming...
René
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: za-2016, fiction, m-m, romance
A great ending to the Secrets of Neverwood series. I wondered about Devon being too hard to open up, but he and Nicholas, as well as Robbie, got the happy ending the deserved.
Marisa
Jun 25, 2018
Mpc
Sep 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Libby glimpsed her true calling when her first story, an A.A. Milne /Shakespeare crossover, won the grand prize in her elementary school's fiction contest. Her parents explained that writers were quirky, poor, and often talked to themselves in supermarket checkout lines. They implored her to be practical, a request she took to heart for twenty years, earning two degrees, a white-collar job, and an ...more

Secrets of Neverwood (4 books)
  • One Door Closes (Secrets of Neverwood, #1)
  • The Growing Season (Secrets of Neverwood, #2)
  • Secrets of Neverwood