Start by marking “Closing In” as Want to Read:
Closing In

Closing In

For fans of Emily Barr & Rosamund Lupton...

Helen has had to leave everything she’s ever known behind; her home, her family, even her own name.

Now, returning to the UK as Ellen Newman, she moves to a small coastal village, working as a nanny for Donovan, a criminal psychologist. Attractive, caring and protective, this single father and his sweet daughter are a world awa
Published May 15th 2014 by Harper Impulse

Cora Tea Party Princess
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Tense, shocking, mysterious, deceit, stalker.

Giveaway at Tea Party Princess.

I'm not sure what I expected when I started this book, but what I read was very different. This is one of those books you just can't put down, where you have to keep turning the pages to find out what's going to happen next.

This is a story that twists and turns, and I was always second guessing myself at who this stalker was and even if there was one. It's very subtle and plays on your mind. It's a mysterious th
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
‘We all run from something at some point in our lives,’

Let's all gaze at that pretty cover for awhile. Confession: I didn't read the blurb of Closing In when I signed up for the blog tour. I just viewed the cover at goodreads and that's it, that's actually how i choose what to read next, by book cover. I know, I'm weird. Anyway, Closing In surprised me! It's a nail biting experience with an awesome and real set of characters.

I got sucked in from the Prologue immediately. Sue Fortin sure knows ho
Sue Moorcroft
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating book, cleverly plotted and gripping. I love page-turners with romance.
sue
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Oh this was just an excellent read from Sue Fortin. I was well captivated from page to page.

Having to leave her abusive partner behind, she had to run as far as she could, take on another ID and escape. She had to forsake everything and everyone, even her name. The only person she kept in contact with [in a very clever way] was her friend. The only one she could rely on.

Returning to the UK she got a job as a Nanny to a lovely sweet girl. It didn't come without its complications. Trouble was, her
Ana
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

Also posted on This Chick Reads

Make sure you don't miss the fab UK/INT giveaway on the blog, e-copy of 'Closing In', an Amazon GC £5/$10 and handcrafted tote bag.

*Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

'Closing In' is Sue Fortin's second novel, and though I haven't read her debut yet (I do however have it on kindle so expect to rectify this pretty soon) I know this one is much different to her previous one. I've read many reviews of 'Unites States of Love', Sue's debut, as wel
Simona
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

A simple and yet so effective cover, I love it ♥

Meet ellen Newman, a nanny starting her new job for Mr. Donovan, looking after his sweet and adorable little girl called Izzy.
We soon find out that Ellen has had a really tough and difficult past and doesn't want to be reminded of it. The way she looks out for little Izzy is so cute. The two of them together was a pleasure to read about.

Mr. Donovan is a crime psychologist and soon wan
Dawn
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review as part of a blog tour to promote 'Closing In' by Sue Fortin, which I am more than happy to do.

I love a psychological, suspense book as much as I love a romance. This book is a bonus as it has both genres in the one book, although I have to say it does lean heavily towards the former. I went through many emotions reading this book - the worst being panic and fear. I thought reading on a sunny, early evening would dampen the emot
Beadyjan
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let's hope we're never in the position in which Helen finds herself, where you need to run and hide so badly you change your name by deed poll and try to completely change your identity.

Now called Ellen, our escape artist is fleeing a relationship gone bad - very bad and when she lands herself a position as live in nanny to the loveable Izzy and her very agreeable Dad, Donovan, she thinks her troubles are behind her, but they're only just beginning.

What follows is a swirly cat and mouse chase, w
Mark
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Helen Matthews gathers up the courage to walk out on her abusive boyfriend Toby, she leaves everything behind - her home, family, even her name. As Ellen Newman, after a short stint working abroad, she moves to the Sussex seaside town of Felpham, working as the nanny for a criminal psychologist called Donovan. She thinks she’s about to start building a new life, she thinks she’s safe, but then the incidents begin… This is the first romantic thriller I’ve read and, on this basis, it won’t be ...more
Elaine
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycho
A very enjoyable psychological drama about Ellen Newman, a woman forced to leave her old life behind and start afresh with a new identity. After six months she thinks she is safe to return to the UK and start again with a new job as nanny to 8 year old Isabel, daughter of criminal psychologist Donovan. But, when strange things start happening it seems clear that she is being stalked by someone from her past. Then again, Donovan’s job has meant that he has made enemies. Could he be the target?

Th
Margaret Madden
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I am delighted to be part of Fiction Addiction's Book Tour for Sue Fortin's second novel, Closing In. Very different to her debut novel, United States of Love, this is a fast paced page turner with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Following the story of Helen, who is running from the past , the author brings us on a journey of new beginnings, new friendships and second chances.
Donovan is a strong character who, despite circumstances, gives Helen the stability she needs and makes her fee
Mandy Baggot
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is like watching a tense episode of a TV crime drama. We know that Helen has run away from her old life but who has followed? Or are the nasty surprises she keeps getting nothing to do with her at all. Criminal psychologist Donovan is a breath of fresh air and looking after his daughter provides Helen with the grounding normality she needs. But someone is closing in.

I really enjoyed this book and it kept me turning the pages. I did figure out the culprit before the end but that
Flo Grugel
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read with twists that I didn't see coming!
Denise
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 I normally stay away from discussing an actual story or plot line, to avoid risk of spoilers. My reviews are based more upon my feelings while I read the book.

This is one of those books I kept wanting to get back to (darn work gets in the way), where I was in a hurry to turn the pages to find out what's going to happen next. It’s another story with lots of twists and turns, and I was continuously changing my mind about who the ‘bad guy’ was.

I couldn’t decide if Ellen was a [unintentional] d
Susan Mackie Powers
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Helen needed to get away from her abusive boyfriend, but breaking up with him wasn't enough; she had to start over somewhere else with a new identity. She moved to a new town, changed her name, and got a job as a live in nanny for a handsome criminal psychologist. Soon, she settled into a routine in the household, and builds a close relationship with the 8 year old girl in her care, and unsettling feelings for the girl's handsome father, who was in the middle of an ugly divorce from the child's ...more
Rose McClelland
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so it seems like Sue Fortin is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. That's 3 books of hers I've read now and I've enjoyed every one.
Fortin's style of writing settles into an interesting genre - it's a mix of romance and psychological thriller. It's a genre I'm really enjoying.
'Closing In' is a novel I thoroughly enjoyed and I raced through it in a matter of days. There are plenty of twists and turns in the books, the main characters are very likable and there's a great deal of suspe
Lindsay
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first Sue Fortin book that I've read and I'm delighted to be the final stop on the blog tour for her latest novel, Closing In.

In the prologue a new identity is revealed so we know that she's planning to run but we don't why, this is all revealed later but certainly grabbed my attention from the first couple of pages.

Helen / Ellen is on the run from someone and it's quite easy to assume from the beginning who that is but it's the chase that makes this novel. By becoming Ellen, Helen h
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I could possibly be Rosamund Lupton’s biggest fan and I became resigned to never reading any new novels from her and never finding anything as good but then I spied Closing In which was described as PERFECT for fans of Lupton and so I jumped at the opportunity to read this book!
Closing In is a fantastically written novel about Ellen Newman, a woman who, after running away to start a new life, takes a job as a nanny for a new family but soon finds her past and what she’s running away fro
Shannon
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, for-review
“The eyes, Donovan.” It was almost a whisper. “The eyes don’t lie.”

Closing In was an interesting read. Loved the mystery aspect and the multiple storylines. It never felt like too much was going on. In fact, the beginning was actually a little slow for me. But once I got a few chapters in it started to really pick up. More characters were introduced and the point of views started changing more.

The relationship between Ellen and Donovan was interesting. I felt like Donovan’s interest in Ellen c
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on:> http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

I was instantly drawn into Closing in from the very first chapter. Sue Fortin cleverly creates a sense of urgency and suspense that compels you to read on and find out what will happen. The fact that Helen changed her name to Ellen made me eager to discover why she had gone to such lengths to not be found.

I have read suspense novels like this before and I must admit that I thought it was going to be predictable, and although there
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Closing In completely gave me the creeps, the thought that someone is watching your every move and is determined to not only scare you, but also the family you are working for is terrifying. Sue Fortin has managed to create a novel full of suspense, romance, a cute child and a lot of twists.

Helen escaped a bad relationship, has left everything she knows behind her, and even changed her name in an attempt to get away from her ex. The only contact she still has with her old life is with her best
Jane Hunt
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Closing In by Sue Fortin

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

'Closing In' is an atmospheric, romantic thriller.

Helen needs to escape but we don't know why. She changes her name by deed poll to Ellen and walks away from her life and Toby her ex boyfriend.

Ellen's new life is working out. She secures a job in sleepy seaside town as nanny to a sweet little girl who has a kind and desirable dad. Donovan's love for his daughter defines him and makes him even
Sheryl Browne
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Closing In by Sue Fortin I picked up this book knowing I needed something I could get my teeth into, as a distraction from life. Closing in did the trick. I was hooked immediately, wanting to know why Ellen would go to such great lengths to hide her identity. It soon becomes clear that she’s been in an abusive relationship and is determined to make the break final and complete. I have to say that the extent of the abuse is gradually revealed and handled sensitively. Established in her new life as a nanny to an eight y ...more
Shona Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom
This is the first book by Sue Fortin that I have read and I chose this book based on the synopsis alone. There was just something about it that made me want to find out more about Ellen, who was she running from? Why? And from the very first few pages I felt a strange connection to her, like I needed to carry on reading her story. If this is standard for Fortin's writing then I really have to read more of her work.

This was such an easy book to fall into, one that I really struggled to put down.
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Closing In had me from page one. It’s a gripping, fast-paced read, set on the south coast. Sue Fortin's love for West Sussex is apparent, and a delight to read, as are her interactions between a child and an adult.
I am moved by the way Sue captures the wonderful intimacy between a parent and child. The mutual warmth and love between Donovan and his eight-year-old daughter, Isobel, leap off the page. Ellen, a nanny, is a natural with children, and it’s obvious how much she cares for Isobel.
The tw
Sophie Bristow Harris
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary book from HarperCollins UK, HarperImpulse Via Net Galley in exchange for my fair and honest review.

"Closing In" by Sue Fortin immediately caught my eye as I used to be a children's Nanny, I also love books that integrate Nannies and thrillers!

I loved the chilling atmosphere than ran through "Closing In". I, as the reader could sympathise with the main character as she felt ill at ease with her surroundings, never quite relaxing in the fear that she was in peril from he
Jane
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm giving this book 1 star because I managed to read half of it before deciding life is too short. I don't like to give bad ratings - but when other's good reviews lead me to spend my money on a book, I feel the urge to redress the balance.
Very poorly executed... characters undeveloped, dialogue unbelievable.
This is no psychological drama - in fact it read more like chick lit with a dash of stalkerish behaviour thrown in for good measure.
Maybe the writing magically improved in the latter part
Jillian
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense thriller good plot

I really enjoyed this book. The plot was well thought out and not predictable. The only thing that left me pondering was Ellen's references, I wasn't sure how she had solid references from previous employers as she had changed her name. Just a minor detail and it doesn't distract from the story. This is the type of thriller that my mum would enjoy as well.
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Tense, shocking, mysterious, deceit, stalker.

Very enjoyable book couldnt put it down once i started and i kinda guessed the stalker was but then that little twist i didnt see that coming and it wasnt who i expected it to be very good read and i love read more about there story and find out his FIRST NAME!
Laura Turner
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo-read
This was my first experience of reading a Sue Fortin novel ... it won't be my last. What an amazing read. With a great balance between romance and a crime / psychological thriller, I found myself unable to put it down due to the addictive writing style of Fortin. With believable characters and plot line I think this would really work well as a TV drama.

• The Vintage Cinema Club
  • The Passionate Love of a Rake (Marlow Intrigues, #3)
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • Christmas at Thornton Hall
  • Made in Nashville
  • Foreteller
  • The Life You Left
  • First We Take Manhattan
  • Caedmon's Curse (The Golden Key Chronicles #3)
  • The Torn Up Marriage
  • The Kiss Before Midnight
  • The Memory Hit
  • Stable Mates (Tippermere #1)
  • Spirited Away (Psychic Detective, #3)
  • The Beginners Guide to the Birds and the Bees
  • The Adventures of Jillian Spectre (Jillian Spectre #1)
  • What Came First
  • The Faerie Tree
I am a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, having come through their New Writers’ Scheme, and a part of the online writing group The Romaniacs who all met through the NWS. I am also a member of the Crime Writers’ Association.

Lover of cake, Dragonflies and France. Hater of calories, maths and snakes. I was born in Hertfordshire but had a nomadic childhood, moving often with my family, be
“The avarice, the hunger for materialistic possessions and the dependency upon alcohol had gradually become stronger and stronger. And now, it was the sum total of what she was.” 0 likes