Start by marking “The Innocent (Ryan Lock #5)” as Want to Read:
The Innocent (Ryan Lock #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Innocent

(Ryan Lock #5)

The fifth novel in the Ryan Lock series of thrillers by Sean Black.
When college basketball coach Malik Shaw goes missing after a family tragedy, it looks like just another retired athlete gone off the rails. But Malik's childhood friend, private security specialist Ty Johnson, quickly begins to suspect that there is more to it.
Chasing the truth, Ty, along with his busines
Published April 10th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Innocent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Innocent

Mike French
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the 3rd Ryan Lock novel I have read and all are 5 stars IMHO! Looking forward to read the rest of series. Best to start at first book in series.
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, kindle
Every so often I finish a book and am left wishing that I was better with words, and better at writing how good a book is. Because a book like this deserves a review that does it justice, so I can only try!

I first discovered Sean Black about two years ago when I read the first book in this Ryan Lock series, Lockdown. I read that book in 24 hours and absolutely loved it. Sean writes the sorts of books that once you start them you cannot put them down. In fact Sean is the reason you are reading th
Doug Branscombe
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A story that loosely parallels the Penn State / Jerry Sandusky scandal, set in a small D3 college in MN with a former NBA player as the coach who finds a young boy alone in the shower after he receives a cryptic text late one night. When he starts asking questions, he's steered away from the obvious conclusion but he can't leave it alone. Things get violent and complicated.
Joyce
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Malik Shaw and Tyrone Johnson were childhood friends from the Long Beach ghetto. Both grew into successful lives, Malik, after a brief career as a pro basketball player, as a coach in a small college in Minnesota and Ty as a partner in a firm that offers protection to the wealthy and celebrated.

Malik, one night, discovers a young boy who had been obviously abused in the locker room and, after reporting it to the campus police and Chancellor begins to investigate the situation. This leads to the
Lindsay Nixon
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
(2.5 stars) the plot dragged on and opportunities to explore social justice and equality were missed. (Malik is black living in a smaller college town and set up for murder after he stumbled into a (white) political figure committing crimes) it became painfully obvious the author couldn't write a black character or the racist / conspiracy or truly capture the level of danger and unfairness Malik would face inside the justice system, even one that didn't have additional setup/corruption. Other bo ...more
Linda Lpp
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far this book is creeping me out. Up to 2/3 into the book, and sense from previous Sean Black books there is alot more in store.
As expected....book ended with a catch your breath drama.
Sam
Thanks to NetGalley & All Night Books for the ARC.
I happy to see that there was a 5th Ryan Lock book & it didn't disappoint. Sean Black's writing had me totally gripped from the outset & kept me hooked until the very end.
Rica
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Impressive

Propulsive plot. Believable characters. Better-than-average writing.

Kept my interest throughout, and left me wanting more of these guys.

My only quibble was that the switching between British and U.S. usage nearly gave me whiplash. The novel is set in Minnesota, but the punctuation conventions (single quotation marks around dialogue; no period after the abbreviation "Mr") suggest a U.K. publisher.

Fair enough. But although U.S. spelling and usage (for example, "check" instead of "cheque"
Anne O'NEILL
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent plot, economic and powerful use of language to convey the depths of depravity and destruction by evil and powerful individuals on the vulnerable and innocent. Riveting to the end. Well worth burning the Midnight Oil for.

Excellent reading. Economic and powerful use of language and plot to convey the depths of depravity and destruction by evil and powerful individuals perpetrated against the vulnerable and innocent. Well worth burning the Midnight Oil for. Housework can wait.
Evan
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first encounter with Sean Black and the Ryan Lock series. This book has three principal characters, so the action and POV moves around. It's a very good book, understated in view of the violence and subject matter. But it's hard-boiled in the best way. There's a character and plot point that seems contrived but it doesn't take away from the novel's impact and effectiveness.The strength of the bond between the characters is clear and authentic.
Alan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although a relative newcomer to Sean Black's work and this series of books I have to say that I am really enjoying those that I have read. This particular title (#5 in the series) has for me been, without a shadow of a doubt, the best so far. The subject matter is dealt with well and is sensitively handled. It is some time since the closing chapters of any book have kept me so engrossed and eager to reach the climax. No problems recommending this to others.
Sotolf Flasskjegg
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3,49 stars, I really did enjoy big parts of this book, it's quality pulp action, and it's entertaining and a breezy read. It has some issues with pacing though, the intro is a bit too long, and it gets really over the top towards the end. That being said, I really did enjoy the book, and I was positively surprised over how well some quite heavy themes were tackled. A quality entertaining book that really is worth your time if you want a thriller.
Ruben Zamorano
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story from beginning to end!

A small midwestern basketball coach gets a late nigh text message that begins this tale. The story that follows is quite believable and timely. This Sean Black book must be recognized for what it is; a call to action against predators of children.
Gail Mchugh
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book deals with pedophilia. This grossly horrific deed stacks right up there with the worst imaginable. My heart went out to Malik. The old adage 'truth is stranger than fiction' is quite frightening when put up against this book. If truth can be worse than this what kind of a world do we live in. On that terrible not I have to say I love Ty Johnson and Ryan Lock.
anthony corso
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this novel's subject matter unusual. The one plot is of the acts of a pedophilia, college environment, a basketball coach ( no, not a football coach), a college chancellor. You should be able to determine what transpires and why. The author's story is ,also,one of revenge. Therefore, you have 2 plots. I recommend it.
Nancy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked the story, not the high body count

Sad story about the way child sexual abuse claims so many victims, with too many people not looking hard enough at what they see, and others aiding and abetting by doing nothing. I liked the characters of Ryan and Lock and will most likely read more in the series. There were a few proofreading problems, but nothing major.
Blair H. Prigg
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!

A well written story considering the actual events that have occurred in the last few years. The characters were so real. Each character was brought to life so that you were drawn into the story and the pages fly by even faster. I will definitely read more by this author.
Joe Vitucci
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm thinking Minnesota gets a bad rap in this book, with most of the cops seemingly not very innocent, and many others looking the other way so as not to be involved. The author pointed out that so many people will do the letter of the law, but nothing else, as done by the head of the college people in this book. I will read more in the Ryan Lock series and other books by Sean Black.
Clare
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spent ages for my library to get this as I was desperate to read it only to find out I'd brought it months ago on my Kindle and it did not disappoint. Love the characters and what they stand for can't wait to read the next in the series.
Robert Myers
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful

I enjoyed this story. It has plenty of twist but written well so you won't get lost. The author has a way of putting you in the role of the main character so that you feel his outrage and sorrow.
ronnette m. fish
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read

I would give the book between a three and four. The first couple chapters were rather slow but it picked up and held my interest throughout. Really liked the characters especially Ty.
Michael
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Twists and Turns

A very intense book from practically page one. It took some time for Ty and Lock to enter the scene but, when they do, it is non-stop until the last page. Read it in one sitting and I recommend it highly.
J Barkess
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Better than expected

I don't usually read American crime stories as they are generally poor, I must have downloaded this in error.

I found it quite readable although the last 3 or 4 chapters were boring and predictable.

Marcena Kane
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good

I liked this book but it kind of dragged on longer than necessary. It's the first one I read of this series so I might go back and start with book one.
Pauline Reed
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Dale Flower
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a book in 3 days, surely tells you all you need to know about my thoughts on it!
BERNIE LEACH
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!

One of the best books written on how far someone will go to hide pedophilia. The bond between two young boys never broken as they become men having each others back.
John Shearer
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Innocent (3)

This story a good read,and the action keeps going on from start to finish. The story touches some things most people don't know about. All is handled well.
elaine faulkner
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I could not put it down. It is one of the best books I have read in a while. I would recommend this book.
LaVerne Underwood
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Darn good book!

Sssuspense! Action! Human ity! Twists! Turns! Scarey! Got a feel for how our fellow man feels in his skin. Darn good book!
  • The Recruiter
  • Blue Molly (Danny Logan Mystery, #5)
  • Corridor Man
  • Tangled: A Southern Gothic Yarn
  • Remo Went Rogue (Remo Cobb #1)
  • First Do No Harm (Benjamin Davis)
  • The Confetti Killer
  • The Tesla Secret (The Project, #5)
  • Borderline
  • Mark One (Midway #1)
  • Under the Ice (LeGarde Mystery #9)
  • The Dangerous Edge of Things
  • Before He Was Gone (Starstruck, #2)
  • Savage Moon (DI Spicer Book 3)
  • From a Dead Sleep (Sean Coleman Thriller #1)
  • The Way Evil Does (The Eisenbrey Trilogy, #1)
  • Easy Prey (Nathan Hawk Mystery #2)
  • House of Blues (Skip Langdon, #5)
I write the Ryan Lock series of thrillers, which feature ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock and his partner, former Marine, Ty Johnson. The first two books in the series, Lockdown and Deadlock, hit the Official UK Top 50 Bestseller Chart, and the third, Gridlock, has just been released in hardback. They have have also been translated into Dutch, German, and Russian.

I'm a firm believer in hands-on res

Ryan Lock (9 books)
  • Lockdown (Ryan Lock, #1)
  • Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
  • Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3)
  • The Devil's Bounty (Ryan Lock, #4)
  • Fire Point (Ryan Lock, #6)
  • The Edge of Alone (Ryan Lock, #7)
  • Second Chance (Ryan Lock #8)
  • Red Tiger (Ryan Lock #9)