Start by marking “Anywhere But Here (The Starborn Ascension #1)” as Want to Read:
Anywhere But Here (The Starborn Ascension #1)

Anywhere But Here

(The Starborn Ascension #1)

What if you could see the future with a single touch? What if that touch revealed someone’s death, and that person was someone you loved? Would you do everything you could to change it?

In a post-apocalyptic world, where danger roams in many forms, seventeen-year-old Waverly seeks protection in the town of Crestwood after her boyfriend is ruthlessly killed by lawless
Published March 7th 2014

Start your review of Anywhere But Here (The Starborn Ascension #1)
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Overall, this was a good book with an awesome story line but...

I found the beginning a bit confusing with the time jumps and POV changes. I got confused with the characters but after a few chapters, I finally realized who everyone was and where the story was going.

I did like the fact that the death came at the beginning so I didn't have a chance to get emotionally attached to someone before they were killed.

I guessed the twist pretty early on in the book but it didn't take away my enjoyment of
Tiara
Read more reviews @ The Bibliosanctum

A review copy of this book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Zombies. There are zombies in this book.

Despite being a fan of The Walking Dead, you all know how I feel about zombies. Even though I can be a bit of a killjoy about this particular genre, I’m not so obstinate that I won’t give zombie books a chance. Sometimes, I am pleasantly surprised, and sometimes, I’m left
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Was not what I expected. It was actually a good read. Good plot, good charcters, overall, pretty good.
Kayla Krantz
A classic story of a zombie apocalypse and a group desperate for survival. Except this is no normal group. The leader, Waverly, can see the future. As she learns the ins and outs of her gift, the truth of who she is will affect the future of those who depend on her the most. The road to survival is not an easy one and although zombies lurk in every corner, it’s other humans that they need to fear the most.

This story was told from two different POVs, both from Starborn characters which I thought
Janel Mitchell
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A dystopian future where people are infected by a disease that turns them into the walking dead. It is hinted that a university experiment got out of hand but is not confirmed. The city of Oakridge Anywhere USA is the epicenter of the outbreak that spreads like lightning through the city and beyond reducing people to hunters, raiders, the hunted or grayskins. The story is told between two young lady's points of view and between a stretch of three years. Both girls are from Oakridge but have been ...more
Erica
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BookLoversLife
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Flesh eating Greyskins walk the earth and all Waverly and Remi want is safety. But before they get there, they have to not only deal with Greyskins, but also humans, which is worse though??

At first, I struggled to get into this, because the story felt disjointed. It wasn't till I was a ways in that I realised it was being told from 2 different peoples POV! Then it fell into place. The audio never specified who was talking and both characters were similar which is why I had a hard time realising
Sheila
Jason D. Morrow’s Anywhere but Here is a fast, compelling read, especially if you don’t immediately dislike zombies. Well-timed flashbacks give a picture of how one teenager perceives the world falling apart. Characters who come to her aid are quickly made real through the language of remembered feelings, and there’s an immediate pain conveyed through scenes of cruel loss. But this isn’t just a run-away-from-the-zombies tale. These people really do have hope, but struggle to know how much faith ...more
Jenika Ioffreda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
It wasn't bad, but I lost interest halfway through it and stopped reading.
Ebony
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this and in fact it was a good read. My main problem was that I didn't realize whose POV I was reading from.

Yes, I know there were titles at the beginning of each chapter, but that didn't make it easy to discern which character's head I was supposed to be in. (I didn't realize there was more than one until the end of the book)

One of the first books I've read on Kindle, so that might be part of the problem.

I didn't see any typos or glaring grammatical errors and the writing was
Karen
I liked this book,but I had a really hard time connecting to one of the main characters.She seemed hostile towards everyone for no apparent reason and obsessed with obtaining a knife.The other female was more realistic and likable.Yet I won't be continuing with this series because I don't really care enough about the characters and their futures.The narrator was pleasant to listen too.I received an audiobook from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Hope Sloper
To begin, let me start by saying that I am incredibly hard on zombie stories because I love them, and the tales that are weaved around them. Every novel I read that takes place during a zombie apocalypse, I read with the hopes of something new. This was not that novel. However, it wasn’t horrible.

To read more of this review visit http://wordgurgle.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good.

I didn't think I'd ever get into a book about zombies, but this one got me hooked. I liked that it kept me on the edge of my seat, but I did get a little bored with the long explanations of emotions here and there within chapters.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
It was a good read, but it needs a bit of tweaking to make things more clear. The two girls whose POVs you follow think so similarly that, combined with the G names they travel with, its hard to keep track of who is doing what. Full review up later.
Spencer Telligman
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!

Was hard to go to sleep at night, this book was so good! I can't wait to start another one!
Damali
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
FREE 10/2/14
Tony Parsons
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scarecrow & his raiders gang members were trying to intimidate Lucas (18, Waverly’s ex-BF).
Ethan, Gilbert, & Waverly “Remi” (17) managed to get away.
They were headed for Crestwood (town).
Professor Jeremiah Adams (U of Elkhorn) on the TV news was trying to explain to the public about the virus that has gone rampant.
The humans take on the form of greyskins.
The elders: Kenneth, Lillian, Gavin, Paxton, & Robert will hold a meeting.
What happened to Hank?
Later, Charles’ had died &
Annie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Dystopian is one of my favorite genres and this book has everything and then more.
The story is told by two different and seemingly unrelated characters, both just trying to survive and find safety. My one critique, would be to have some kind of indication when the POV changes between Waverly and Remi, because it took me a minute or two to figure which POV I was listening to. This might be more clear in the book.

Overall the story has a great balance of action, plot and
Dustin
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
LillaSusanne
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is book 15 of my second sunmer of free amazon books. (2.15)
Action, romance, special abilities and zombies.
The book was fine. The prose is fine, and the tempo is fast enough and there is enough action to keep it interesting.
I just don’t like the classical zombie-thing. And it wasn’t quite gritty enough for my tastes. I think I might just be too old.
Also, i didn’t connect much with Waverly.
The most interesting thing in the book was the «starborn» thing, and the most annoying was the drama of
Cathy
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a fan of zombie books but this was not a problem in this story. It was about survival in a world where a virus got loose they think in a lab. The virus created greyskins or zombies. If infected they died and then reanimated. They would go after living humans and try to bite and eat them. Living humans had to worry about them as well as competing for the dwindling supplies of food and weapons. The story was interesting and went from Remi to Waverly's points of view from chapter to chapter. ...more
Erth
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Diana
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting

I was surprised by this one. I don’t normally like books about zombies and while the grey skins are not called that they are similar. I found this story very interesting, I like how independent, strong and determined Remi is and I love Waverly as well. Crazy good, sad and scary all at the same time.
Cjeight
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zombies

I’m not a fan of zombies or books about zombies, I have enjoyed read this one though. I like sci-fi and I thought that was what this book was about. I was disappointed when the gray skins came a about, but I was already hooked.
Laurie Hopkins
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good

Well, now I understand the two points of view. The cliffhanger at the end surprises me, more that I hadn't put it together. H
Glad to know that authors can still pull out a surprise.
Julie Powell
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This apocalyptic story is told from two points of view in a first-person narrative. It's well-written, fast-paced with twists, turns and surprises.

A virus leaves the world with flesh-eating zombies, raiders and survivors but something more.

I really enjoyed it and am intrigued enough to read more - a little different from the norm.

Recommended.
Ruel
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I enjoy apocalyptic novels with interesting characters . Jason Andrews grabs your attention fast and keeps it. Ready to get started on the next ones in the series.
Porscha
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Asiaman
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very fine book with a twist on it. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Todd Oliver
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series so it does end on a cliffhanger unfortunately. Great book though! The story was very well written but I was a bit confused about certain people having special abilities. I'm hoping that will be explained further into the series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Kahayatle (Apocalypsis, #1)
  • After the Cure (After the Cure, #1)
  • Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Victim Zero
  • Run from Ruin: A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller (Final Update Book 1)
  • Destination Unknown (Wings of Steele #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • Testing Zero (Remnants of Zone Four, #1)
  • Dead Land Volume One
  • Interim
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Free Falling
  • Forbidden (Arotas Trilogy, #1)
  • Typhoid Mary
  • The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Flight of Freedom (Wings of Steele #2)
Jason D. Morrow is the author of the Prototype D series, The Starborn Ascension, The Starborn Uprising, and The Marenon Chronicles. He enjoys playing guitar, shooting videos, and spending time with his lovely wife, Emily.

Currently writing: The Starborn Redemption

The Starborn Ascension (3 books)
  • Away From The Sun (The Starborn Ascension #2)
  • Into The Shadows (The Starborn Ascension #3)
“In this new world, fear is the most common emotion, and the best way to cope is to have someone you love next to you. We live in fear together day-by-day.” 0 likes
“My body stiffens at the silence after the rumbling truck engines shut off. Doors squeak open and firm footsteps grind against the broken asphalt. I sit next to Lucas, frozen in place behind an abandoned car long ago stripped of tires and dried of gasoline.” 0 likes