Start by marking “I Think Therefore I Play” as Want to Read:
I Think Therefore I Play

I Think Therefore I Play

Andrea Pirlo is one of the finest footballers of his generation - a World Cup and Champions League winning playmaker who has redefined his position at the base of midfield, and one of the most deadly free-kick takers the game has known. This is his story, in his words.

It is written with a level of humour and insight which confound his image as a dead-eyed assassin on the f
Published April 13th 2014 by BackPage Press (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Think Therefore I Play, please sign up.
Neil I liked pirlos book but it is very very short, zlatans has much more depth and goes into his background and you understand why he has turned out to be…moreI liked pirlos book but it is very very short, zlatans has much more depth and goes into his background and you understand why he has turned out to be the person/player he is now.(less)

Aimal Khan
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Football autobiographies are dime a dozen these days and rarely interesting especially by players still playing their trade. They rarely have anything interesting to say and most are just a way of capitalising on the popularity of the player at the time.

Andrea Pirlo is one of the few players who is an exception to this trend. He comes across as a genuinely intelligent player, both on and off the pitch, and has rejuvenated a career which looked to be over during his last year at Milan.

So, I was
Stevie Mcdermott
"If I look in the mirror when I get up, or before going to bed at night, I see a man of average ugliness...But I also see a man who's completely happy with the figure staring back at him. Who's completely proud of every single second of his past."

And so, in 150 pages as entertaining as his trademark free-kicks, we're presented a sample of that past. Endlessly quotable and consistent in its ability to raise a smile, the book confirms a lot about what the world thinks of Andrea Pirlo: he oozes an
한 카트
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite player! And what an unusual autobiography, it has a very smart sensibility to it, you can almost feel like you're sitting at the terrasse of an Italian Café and Andrea is confiding in you about his football journey. What a genius this guy is, even in the way he delivers his thoughts on paper.
Vedran Karlić
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a strange one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was like a collection of short stories from his career tossed around without any order - almost like listening to a drunk man telling whatever crosses his mind. There is a talk about his younger days, then to World Cup win, then back to somewhere in a middle - few circles of that.

With all that talk about Italian national team and pride playing for them - think that targeted audience is Italian people, which I'm not. But it had
فاروق الفرشيشي
The book is more focused on his opinions about football problems (doping, referees and video ref, etc) and the most influential people in his career. Pirlo also talked about some important moments, like WC2006 final, his panenka against Joe Hart... He never talked about techniques except the chapter about his Maledetta. It's a pity because I think he has too many things to say about that.
People think about football players as some stupid ignorant guys. This book could change their perception.
Jim Anderson
It's just "okay" in my opinion. Way too short, full of little stories and filled with metaphors. A few humorous stories and personal opinions aside, it just lacks something worthy of such a great player.
David Ball
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remember coming across a 'best-sports-book-of-the-year' review of this a couple of years ago, and whenever I happened to be in a UK book store I would look for it, often finding it, but inevitably putting it back in the shelf. I knew of Pirlo, the charismatic Italian midfielder, but I figured I didn't follow Italian football closely enough to make the book worth my time. I was torn though, as you don't often get thoughtful footballers - as Pirlo is purported to be (most English players come ac ...more
Jack
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a amazing soccer player Andrea Pirlo. This book consists of the achievements and challenges that he faces. For example the decisions he had make when transferring clubs, the teammate's parents that put him down as a child, him doubting himself. These are a few things that formed Pirlo. This book can be hard to read if you do not have a strong background with coaches, players, and soccer clubs. Pirlo shares how he got so well at free kicks and when him and is friends mess aroun ...more
Pat
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a typical autobiography by one of football's most atypical players. It is more like a collection of essays about his thoughts on the sport, the teams Pirlo played for & the many different characters he encountered on the pitch & in boardrooms. The book was ghost-written following interviews with the player &, as my Italian isn't great, the version I read has also gone through the process of translation into English. Nevertheless, the first-person account appears to captur ...more
M
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
If you love football in general; Italian football in particular, you must read this book. I am a huge Juventues fan and I am a huge fan of Pirlo and his style of playing. I usually play in the same position and I know how it feels to create chances to others, which is sometimes more fun than scoring goals. The book doesn't cover a lot of football tactics as one may expect, instead it focuses on Pirlo's experience at Milano, Juventus and the Italian national team. I was surprised by Pirlo's sense ...more
Abhinav Athreya
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book clearly shows why Andrea Pirlo has endeared himself to the whole of Italy irrespective of club loyalties. I also like the fact that he's used this book as a medium to speak out against doping and racism in football. Although the book has great content, it does get dry and disengaging is a few sections and I would have liked to read more about Italy's world cup triumph.

Overall a must-read for any football fan, especially if you have followed Pirlo's progress in the last decade.
Neil
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good read but you have to love football to really enjoy it. Probably have to be European to understand what a phenom he has became.
Michelle
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I then lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there's no way he's French."

That quote made me spill my morning coffee. I think Pirlo's autobiography is the most entertaining I've read from a footballer so far.

It's not just his candid and fearless way of speaking his mind. He sounds like a very smart person. There is depth to his thoughts. He philosophised a lot of things. It shows in the following quotes when he talked about modernizing the beautiful game, meani
JJE
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As expected a very interesting read about a very interesting footballer. Pirlo is much more than an incredible midfielder he is also a very intelligent human both on and off the field. A fantastic insight into how different his career could have been and how Juve stole his heart.
Shahiron Sahari
Interesting at parts when he talks about contract negotiations, gypsies, racism in Italy and non-football issue. But the title I guess led me to expect too much. And maybe something has been lost in translation. Most of all, it lives up to my informal rule that, in general, the better the player, the poorer the autobiography (ghostwritten or otherwise).
Ad Basset
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A brief & funny Autobiography.
PIRLO only focused on the moments that marked and affected him.
So Hakim
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, football
A whole dose of Pirlo-ism. Like, seriously.

This is a biography, although with one caveat: less about the man but more about his thoughts. Andrea Pirlo has his opinions and knows how to express it (or is that the co-author Alciato?). Musings about football sprinkled with cultural references. Laden with metaphorical zingers that can be outright hilarious.

I read the English translation by Mark Palmer, so some of the following bits might be his editorial decision. As I've said above: this is a book
J.W.
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gattuso-related antics aside, a pretty disappointing read. Very little in the way of him describing the decisions he makes/how he sees the game when he's on the pitch. Very little game-related details at all in fact. Plenty of sneaked meetings with rich club owners/managers.
Dino
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I'm a really big fan of Italian soccer and this book is a must read for any such fan. Pirlo gives such a vivid description of himself that you feel you know him personally and he does the same for some his closest teammates and friends. Great book, I wish it was longer.
Anindita
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved how Pirlo so honestly gives us insights into his journey as a footballer and his experiences with his teammates and the clubs he played with. His love for freekicks, passes and football is evident through his narration.
M. Mastromatteo
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was actually hilarious.

It's a rare sports book that doesn't rely on cliché.

And, of course, Pirlo is an absolute hero.

A Pirlo-Gattuso show would be an incredible reality tv show.
Ananya
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read, full of fun and personal anecdotes. Gave a great insight on Seria A, locker room dynamics, and featured many greats like Del Piero, Guardiola, Gattuso, Nesta, Berlusconi and Conte.
Anirudh
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Delving into the mind of a genius. Too short though. Hoping for an extended autobiography.
Helen
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, football, real
Seriously one of the funniest biographies I have read. And occasionally so heart warming.
Can Önduygu
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
brief and classy. just like his playing style.
Joseph
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Badly written and light on content. The first is the ghost writer's fault and the second may be an editor's or the ghost's or Pirlo's. We need actual football history, details of games, techniques etc., not pathetic attempts to make yourself seem cultured because you like Woody Allen films. There is some of that and it's good, like the part where he tells how he studied Juninho's free kick style until he discovered the secret, and then tells us! We need so much more of this - with all his experi ...more
Joseph
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karan Shevale
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

Andrea Pirlo - I Think Therefore I Play.

Authors : Andrea Pirlo with Alessandro Alciato.
Publisher : BackPage Press.
Genre : Autobiography, Sports. "All I'm after is a few square-metres to be myself. A space where I can continue to profess my creed : Take the ball, give it to a team-mate, team-mate scores.
It's called an assist and it is my way of spreading happiness". This little excert from the book of the greatest deep-lying playmaker really sums up the value of this 20 Chapter masterpiece.

I Thi
Danté
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think therefore I play is an autobiography about the sporting career and the personal life of former professional football player Andrea Pirlo. He made this book in collaboration with fellow Italian Alessandro Alciato. Andrea Pirlo is known as one of the greatest footballers of all time. That is due to his calm appearance on the field and his incredible talent. He was known as a silent leader, a playmaker who ran every team where he was. Italians are known for their passion and enthusiasm, I c ...more
Sagnik Sengupta
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a good thing that Andrea Pirlo is a footballer, because I don't think he would have a decent career as a writer. The book though describes a lot about this iconic footballer, let me be very clear in that prospect but overall the book is pale and one-toned.

But as I said, it tells a lot about him and one would find a million things similar to that of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He is equally outspoken(in the book) and the same win it all tendancy. A overall winner both in and out of the pitch, this b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Winning at All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer
  • The Italian Job
  • The Football Man: People & Passions in Soccer
  • Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola's First Season at Bayern Munich
  • Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up
  • The Artist: Being Iniesta
  • Barça: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World
  • Carlo Ancelotti: The Beautiful Games of an Ordinary Genius
  • Behind the Curtain
  • The Keeper: A Life of Saving Goals and Achieving Them
  • Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona, Real Madrid, and the World's Greatest Sports Rivalry
  • The Special One: The Dark Side of Jose Mourinho
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • Tor!: The Story of German Football
  • Jag är Zlatan: Zlatans egen berättelse
  • La Roja: How Soccer Conquered Spain and How Spanish Soccer Conquered the World
  • Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football
  • My Turn: The Autobiography
Italian professional footballer who plays for American club New York City FC and the Italy national team. Pirlo is a free-kick specialist, who is usually deployed as a deep-lying playmaker in midfield for both his club and national sides, and he is widely regarded as one of the greatest ever exponents of this position, due to his vision, ball control and passing ability
“If God exists, there's no way he's French” 11 likes
“I don’t feel pressure, either. I don’t give a toss about it. I spent the afternoon of Sunday, July 9, 2006, in Berlin sleeping and playing the PlayStation. In the evening, I went out and won the World Cup.” 7 likes