Start by marking “I Think Therefore I Play” as Want to Read:
I Think Therefore I Play

I Think Therefore I Play

Andrea Pirlo is one of the finest footballers of his generation - a World Cup and Champions League winning playmaker who has redefined his position at the base of midfield, and one of the most deadly free-kick takers the game has known. This is his story, in his words.

It is written with a level of humour and insight which confound his image as a dead-eyed assassin on the f
Published April 13th 2014 by BackPage Press (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Think Therefore I Play, please sign up.
Neil I liked pirlos book but it is very very short, zlatans has much more depth and goes into his background and you understand why he has turned out to be…moreI liked pirlos book but it is very very short, zlatans has much more depth and goes into his background and you understand why he has turned out to be the person/player he is now.(less)

Start your review of I Think Therefore I Play
Aimal Khan
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Football autobiographies are dime a dozen these days and rarely interesting especially by players still playing their trade. They rarely have anything interesting to say and most are just a way of capitalising on the popularity of the player at the time.

Andrea Pirlo is one of the few players who is an exception to this trend. He comes across as a genuinely intelligent player, both on and off the pitch, and has rejuvenated a career which looked to be over during his last year at Milan.

So, I was
Stevie Mcdermott
"If I look in the mirror when I get up, or before going to bed at night, I see a man of average ugliness...But I also see a man who's completely happy with the figure staring back at him. Who's completely proud of every single second of his past."

And so, in 150 pages as entertaining as his trademark free-kicks, we're presented a sample of that past. Endlessly quotable and consistent in its ability to raise a smile, the book confirms a lot about what the world thinks of Andrea Pirlo: he oozes an
한 카트
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite player! And what an unusual autobiography, it has a very smart sensibility to it, you can almost feel like you're sitting at the terrasse of an Italian Café and Andrea is confiding in you about his football journey. What a genius this guy is, even in the way he delivers his thoughts on paper.
Hirdesh
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm so excited about this book as I loved the game of Pirlo from Juventus to AC Milan and international appearances had been concerned.
Since I'd learned the football (at the age of 11) I never turned to any another game, never found anything much enticing than football.

Wonderful memoir !
Further review later..............
Vedran Karlić
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a strange one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was like a collection of short stories from his career tossed around without any order - almost like listening to a drunk man telling whatever crosses his mind. There is a talk about his younger days, then to World Cup win, then back to somewhere in a middle - few circles of that.

With all that talk about Italian national team and pride playing for them - think that targeted audience is Italian people, which I'm not. But it had
Hamid Babayev
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
First of all, he was a great footballer and I think he will be a great choach. But I dont love this Memuar. Not because it was a nasty book. Just I hadn't this feeling that Pirlo was a legend for any of this clubs. He loved Inter, Juventus, Milan, Guardiola, Ancellotti, Conte(for a good reason), Capello, Ferguson and the others. Who payed, Pirlo would go there. That was.. not my style. I am a hugh Chelsea-fan and i would be proud if Pirlo side of Lampard show them all what is meaning the Miracle ...more
فاروق الفرشيشي
The book is more focused on his opinions about football problems (doping, referees and video ref, etc) and the most influential people in his career. Pirlo also talked about some important moments, like WC2006 final, his panenka against Joe Hart... He never talked about techniques except the chapter about his Maledetta. It's a pity because I think he has too many things to say about that.
People think about football players as some stupid ignorant guys. This book could change their perception.
M
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
If you love football in general; Italian football in particular, you must read this book. I am a huge Juventues fan and I am a huge fan of Pirlo and his style of playing. I usually play in the same position and I know how it feels to create chances to others, which is sometimes more fun than scoring goals. The book doesn't cover a lot of football tactics as one may expect, instead it focuses on Pirlo's experience at Milano, Juventus and the Italian national team. I was surprised by Pirlo's sense ...more
نسترنّگار
Not really an autobiography, more like a collection of scattered thoughts with funny quotes in between. Zlatan’s was much more interesting and coherent.
Jim Anderson
It's just "okay" in my opinion. Way too short, full of little stories and filled with metaphors. A few humorous stories and personal opinions aside, it just lacks something worthy of such a great player.
Jack
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a amazing soccer player Andrea Pirlo. This book consists of the achievements and challenges that he faces. For example the decisions he had make when transferring clubs, the teammate's parents that put him down as a child, him doubting himself. These are a few things that formed Pirlo. This book can be hard to read if you do not have a strong background with coaches, players, and soccer clubs. Pirlo shares how he got so well at free kicks and when him and is friends mess aroun ...more
David Ball
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remember coming across a 'best-sports-book-of-the-year' review of this a couple of years ago, and whenever I happened to be in a UK book store I would look for it, often finding it, but inevitably putting it back in the shelf. I knew of Pirlo, the charismatic Italian midfielder, but I figured I didn't follow Italian football closely enough to make the book worth my time. I was torn though, as you don't often get thoughtful footballers - as Pirlo is purported to be (most English players come ac ...more
Pat
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a typical autobiography by one of football's most atypical players. It is more like a collection of essays about his thoughts on the sport, the teams Pirlo played for & the many different characters he encountered on the pitch & in boardrooms. The book was ghost-written following interviews with the player &, as my Italian isn't great, the version I read has also gone through the process of translation into English. Nevertheless, the first-person account appears to capture Pirlo's vo ...more
Abhinav Athreya
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book clearly shows why Andrea Pirlo has endeared himself to the whole of Italy irrespective of club loyalties. I also like the fact that he's used this book as a medium to speak out against doping and racism in football. Although the book has great content, it does get dry and disengaging is a few sections and I would have liked to read more about Italy's world cup triumph.

Overall a must-read for any football fan, especially if you have followed Pirlo's progress in the last decade.
Luke Fenech
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been an avid fan of Andrea Pirlo for a long time now. His skill, character, and class inspire me thoroughly. This book gives insight about the different chapters of Pirlo's football career; from switching clubs, his personal relationships with colleagues, and his take on football itself.

Ideal for: football enthusiasts
My Rating: 4/5
Neil
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good read but you have to love football to really enjoy it. Probably have to be European to understand what a phenom he has became.
Michelle
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I then lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there's no way he's French."

That quote made me spill my morning coffee. I think Pirlo's autobiography is the most entertaining I've read from a footballer so far.

It's not just his candid and fearless way of speaking his mind. He sounds like a very smart person. There is depth to his thoughts. He philosophised a lot of things. It shows in the following quotes when he talked about modernizing the beautiful game, meani
JJE
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As expected a very interesting read about a very interesting footballer. Pirlo is much more than an incredible midfielder he is also a very intelligent human both on and off the field. A fantastic insight into how different his career could have been and how Juve stole his heart.
Shahiron Sahari
Interesting at parts when he talks about contract negotiations, gypsies, racism in Italy and non-football issue. But the title I guess led me to expect too much. And maybe something has been lost in translation. Most of all, it lives up to my informal rule that, in general, the better the player, the poorer the autobiography (ghostwritten or otherwise).
Ad Basset
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A brief & funny Autobiography.
PIRLO only focused on the moments that marked and affected him.
So Hakim
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, football
A whole dose of Pirlo-ism. Like, seriously.

This is a biography, although with one caveat: less about the man but more about his thoughts. Andrea Pirlo has his opinions and knows how to express it (or is that the co-author Alciato?). Musings about football sprinkled with cultural references. Laden with metaphorical zingers that can be outright hilarious.

I read the English translation by Mark Palmer, so some of the following bits might be his editorial decision. As I've said above: this is a book
Joe
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice interesting read of one of my personal favorite football characters of over the last 20 years. Pirlo was always a fascinating individual and the book does a good job of highlighting his character.

One slight disappointment was the lack of any real detail of his family life growing up or background which helped shape him, but none the less an interesting read which most football fabs will enjoy and appreciate.
J.W.
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gattuso-related antics aside, a pretty disappointing read. Very little in the way of him describing the decisions he makes/how he sees the game when he's on the pitch. Very little game-related details at all in fact. Plenty of sneaked meetings with rich club owners/managers.
Sid
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read

Gives a good insight into the man, Pirlo. The man you see on the pitch - masterful, efficient - is quite different to the funny, simple, likeable man who emerges in these pages.
M. Mastromatteo
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was actually hilarious.

It's a rare sports book that doesn't rely on cliché.

And, of course, Pirlo is an absolute hero.

A Pirlo-Gattuso show would be an incredible reality tv show.
Ananya
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read, full of fun and personal anecdotes. Gave a great insight on Seria A, locker room dynamics, and featured many greats like Del Piero, Guardiola, Gattuso, Nesta, Berlusconi and Conte.
Dino
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I'm a really big fan of Italian soccer and this book is a must read for any such fan. Pirlo gives such a vivid description of himself that you feel you know him personally and he does the same for some his closest teammates and friends. Great book, I wish it was longer.
Anindita
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved how Pirlo so honestly gives us insights into his journey as a footballer and his experiences with his teammates and the clubs he played with. His love for freekicks, passes and football is evident through his narration.
Can Önduygu
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
brief and classy. just like his playing style.
Helen
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real, 2014, football
Seriously one of the funniest biographies I have read. And occasionally so heart warming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Jag är Zlatan: Zlatans egen berättelse
  • The Second Half
  • Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography
  • I Am The Secret Footballer: Lifting the Lid on the Beautiful Game
  • Keane:  The Autobiography
  • Red: My Autobiography
  • Barça: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World
  • Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola's First Season at Bayern Munich
  • Stillness and Speed: My Story
  • Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning: The Biography
  • My Turn: The Autobiography
  • My Story
  • Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics
  • Back From the Brink: The Autobiography
  • I Am Football: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
  • Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona, Real Madrid, and the World's Greatest Sports Rivalry
  • Quiet Leadership: Winning Hearts, Minds and Matches
  • Leading: Learning from Life and My Years at Manchester United
Italian professional footballer who plays for American club New York City FC and the Italy national team. Pirlo is a free-kick specialist, who is usually deployed as a deep-lying playmaker in midfield for both his club and national sides, and he is widely regarded as one of the greatest ever exponents of this position, due to his vision, ball control and passing ability