Start by marking “Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)

Blackhearts (Blackhearts #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,603 Ratings  ·  677 Reviews
Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything.

Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a
Published February 9th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Blackhearts, please sign up.
Nicole Castroman No insta-love. THAT I can promise. I'm a fan of a slow burn myself.
Matthew Travagline Looks like it's labeled as the first in a series (Blackhearts #1)
YA Novels of 2016
1,231 books — 9,550 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,436 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Only the ol' bodice ripper fans
“Trapped between the door and his body, she froze. He knew he was using his size to intimidate her, but nothing else seemed to work where she was concerned.”

It's funny how everything remotely marketable as "YA" is these days given a pretty cover, a solid blurb writer, and voila! Truth is, some years ago, I think Blackhearts would have looked like this on the shelves:

It's all romance, no actual historical fiction beyond the racism, sexism and classism floating around. But, more than that, it's
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Jack Sparrow aside, I'm just not fond of pirates or story about pirates. This book is an imagined prequel to the legend of Blackbeard, and while there's not very much piracy (good), there's not much else in it but a terribly boring YA historical romance with an alpha asshole as the lead.

This book sends a message to readers that sexuality is bad, that women should be innocent and virtuous and just outspoken enough to not push any 1600s boundaries (which is to say, don't push any boundaries at al
C.G. Drews
I had nooo idea if I'd enjoy this because I heard it's more of a historical romance than a pirate story. (And I'm like all here for pirate things.) But you know what?! I ACTUALLY QUITE ADORED IT. It does read like a HF romance, but it's witty and the characters are winning and I loooooved the writing. And plus the ending (!!) promises (!!) more pirates (!!!) in the future (!!)

No I don't have an unhealthy obsession with pirates. WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT.

The story is dual narrated by Teach and Ann
Ben Alderson
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this more then 5 stars, I would.

I really loved this story, It was really character driven which I what I wanted. I was rooting for Anne and Teach from the very first chapter, so I am BUZZING with how the story panned out.
I HATED characters ( in a good way, in a way that the author wrote them to be hated ) and i LOVED characters and the setting.

SERIOUSLY, I NEED BOOK TWO...

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

DNF at 33%.

Two words: half-fantasy.

But this time, it was even worse than the usual disappointment that comes from a "fantasy" sans magic, b/c at 33%, it was also a story marketed as being about pirates, WITHOUT ANY PIRATES.

Oh, you could see where it was going, but it would've been more truthful to call this one a fictionalized account of the events that led to Blackbeard becoming Blackbeard.

Bad form.

Jessica Signature
Nastassja

Actual rating: 1.5

This was one of the most anticipated books of this year for me. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be the most disappointing book of the year. Let's look at the title of the book: Blackhearts - a gorgeous title. Now, look at the cover - a gorgeous cover. You know how I think this book should've been titled instead? The black bearded pirate who stalked me or My daddy didn't love me enough or A kleptomaniac Anne. And you know why I think so? To find out let's look into t

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
When I added this book to my TBR, I was expecting adventures and pirates. Unfortunately we got neither.

Instead, all we got in Blackhearts was romance, romance, and more romance. If there weren't going to be any ships, pirates, or adventures, I at least wanted a Blackbeard origin story but I don't think I could even consider this book even that. This book shouldn't even really be associated with Blackbeard because if we weren't told that this would be a Blackbeard origin story, you wouldn't even
Maggie
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
❝I believe if you truly love someone, then the most important thing should be their happiness, not yours.❞

If you're looking for Blackbeard and an actual adventure, Blackhearts is not it. If you're looking for a lot of historical and slow-burn romance, Blackhearts is the book you are looking for.

Blackhearts was easy to read, but really boring. There was nothing surprising besides finding out the truths towards the end. Other than that, I was bored most of the time and wasted 3 hours on this bo
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy via Edelweiss. This in no way impacted on my view.

I have been dying for this book ever since I first heard about it. Never before that I known that an origin story about the notorious pirate Blackbeard, but here we are. I preordered this book, along with quite a few others, and decided to wait as patiently as I could for my copy to arrive. I've never had any luck with Edelweiss, though I still request books from time to time. When I checked the site just before
Cait • A Page with a View
I was SO excited about the ships, harbor town, and pirates at the beginning. This seemed like it had everything I wanted in a story (because I also really like historical kitchens? random but whatever).

BUT then the plot kind of shoved all of that to the side and focused on a reallllllly obnoxious romance. It honestly read like a bad, cliche romance novel. I couldn't stand the guy's actions and didn't get a strong sense of either character. Everything fell flat. I connected with nothing and am j
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omg I freaking LOVED this book! There has to be more. Simon Teen you BETTER pick up the sequel!!!!

I am quite obsessed with Pirates. Hell Black Sails on Starz is one of my favorite shows! But what Nicole Castroman has done here is completely brilliant! She took one of the most notorious bloodthirsty, violent pirates (and also one who very little is known about in real life) and turned him into someone with a past, a backstory, a heart and I fell hard for "Teach". He was compassionate and kind an
Samantha
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lucia
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, ya

How to start my review? Blackhearts is YA historical novel set in 17th century England and while writing wasn't outstanding, story itself kept me hooked. I have a lot to say about Blackhearts - a good and a bad. Let's get to the bottom of it.

NO EMOTIONAL CONNECTION

Both main protagonists are unhappy with their current life situation. Anne is illegal child of dead merchant, was forced to work as maid in unpleasant environment and dreams of finding her extended family in West Indies. Edward "Teach"
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I knew next to nothing about Blackbeard when I picked up this novel -- or any other pirates, for that matter -- only what I've picked up in passing and that's pretty much that pirates are bad. :P I did a quick Wikipedia search on Blackbeard, though, and I liked what I found. Neither family issues nor a romance was mentioned i
Stacee
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

I didn't know much about Blackbeard except that he was a pirate, so when I saw the synopsis of Blackhearts, I was eager to read it.

Loved Anne and Teach. They're both passionate and have such plans for the future. Even though they seem to be different in the beginning, there are a lot of similarities, and I throughly enjoyed reading things evolve.

It was a bit of a slow burn, but it is ridiculously satisfying. The ending isn't exactly what I wanted, but I was satisfied. All in all, it was
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Did you guys even read that not-really-a-synopsis? Holy crap this book sounds good. How the hell can I wait until 2016 for this?

Wendy Higgins

Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Edward "Teach" D
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Just as an fyi, the events in this book all make for totally valid reasons to become a pirate. This is wonderful. I can't wait to read it again.

I can't express with words how much I loved this story. This book is the perfect combination of romance and heartbreak and I feel as though my soul has been ripped in two. I know the general story of Blackbeard but not in depth, so it was really interesting for me to see par
Celeste
Apr 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
So pretty much what you're telling me is this is a pirate novel?

Will this be THE pirate novel?

You know, the one I've been searching for my entire life that's going to knock my socks off?
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

Edward "Teach" Drummond is the son of a very wealthy merchant in Bristol, England. Anne Barrett is a half English and West Indes daughter of another respectable merchant. After her brother throws her out on the street, he ends up giving her a place at Drummond'a household working as the cook. Anne is determined to leave and find what's left of her mother's family while Teach has no intention of marrying the
Michelle
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
6/15/16: I keep staring at this book on my shelf and I keep thinking about the problems I had with it. I decided to change my review from a three star to a two star. I want someone to read the next book and tell me what happens so I don't have to read it but I kind of want to know what happens. I know that sounds weird but seriously...

2/24/16: I am a little disappointed with this book. I expected a sea voyage through the high seas filled with pirates, romance, and a thrilling adventure. I didn't
fyt
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
Please don't let it be Insta-love. Please don't let it be Insta-love. Please don't let it be Insta-love. Please don't let it be Insta-love. Please don't let it be Insta-love. Please don't let it be Insta-love.

description
Faith
OMFG THERE MUST BE A SEQUEL OR ELSE I'LL NEVER BE OKAY AGAIN EVER
.....
Review coming soon
Erin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it

The synopsis sums up the story quite well and I won't rehash the plot here. This is an origin story for the legendary Blackbeard. The entirety of the story takes place on dry land and isn't quite the swashbuckling adventure that I thought it would be. The storyline is full of predictability, but that author's note does sound promising for the future books, now that the two main characters storylines have been established.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
I have seen a few reviewers saying that this was different than they'd expected, and I totally agree. But for me, it was better. Here's what I thought the story was going to be:

And I was wary. Because I am not really a pirate story kind of girl. But since I really don't read synopses in detail 99% of the time, the actual plot escaped me until I read the book. Plus side to not ever reading what a book is fully about? Happy surprises!

Anywa
Brooks Benjamin
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There's only one explanation for this book.

Only one.

Because nothing else makes sense, really.

By the time I finished chapter one of Blackhearts I was hooked (no pirate pun intended). I was sucked into some sort of wormhole and spat out right at the beginning of the 1700s. I was there. Walking with Anne Barrett through the streets of Bristol. Standing on the docks with Edward "Teach" Drummond, gazing out toward the endless sea. The
Klinta
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Full review.

Opposed to all the people who have been disappointed, I didn't expect a pirate story. I read up about it and because I knew it wasn't a pirate book, I couldn't push myself to read it, because I love pirates.

So once I read it, I was in really weird place, I do not understand the reviews that complain about racism, women's right's or a man who's father treats him like a boy, because although it might offend someone, that is actually how things used to was. There was some fantasy bits,
Amy Leigh
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!
A powerful historical fiction that mixes romance with piracy. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book and found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. I immediately got the sequel when I finished because I have to know what happens next.

The author skillfully used her knowledge of the history of Blackbeard and the time period to construct a beautiful book about what might have happened to turn Blackbeard to a life of piracy.

Edward "Teach" Drummond has ju
Kristi
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one, so much fun to read. think I should also mention that this is not a pirate novel! I thought maybe we would get a little pirate action but it's truly an account of what happened on land that led to the man at sea. from what I can tell it's a stand alone and it works that way, but I would so totally be down for the authors interpretation on the rest of this story.

will be making a spot for this one on my bookshelf!
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Stone Field
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • Traitor Angels
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • RoseBlood
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • Love, Lies and Spies
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Unhooked
  • Tell the Wind and Fire
Nicole was lucky enough to come with her very own best friend...she has a twin sister who can read her mind and finish her sentences for her.

At the age of 13, she went to Europe for the first time and it changed her life. She loves learning about different people, languages and cultures and speaks fluent German. She knows enough Spanish to get herself into trouble and can still read the Cyrillic
More about Nicole Castroman

Blackhearts (2 books)
  • Blacksouls (Blackhearts, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“We could be on opposite sides of the world, but you would still be mine, as I am yours.” 7 likes
“You take far too many chances," she murmured.
"And you don't take nearly enough. I propose to change that.”
6 likes