Start by marking “Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good” as Want to Read:
Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good

Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good

The bishop, Bible scholar, modern heir to C. S. Lewis, and revered author of Simply Christian and Simply Jesus offers a fresh look at the Gospel, explaining why Jesus’ message is “good news” and why it is more timely and transforming today than we know.

The Gospel means good news. But if the message has been around for 2,000 years, what makes it significant today? What’s so
Published January 6th 2015 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Simply Good News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simply Good News

Tom
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, theology, wright, jesus
I try not to give out a lot of 5 stars (simply b/c i don't think there are many books that deserve that high of rating)..so when I do, I honestly think it is an important and good book. To me, Wright summarizes succinctly many themes and ideas found in several other of his works (both popular and scholarly). If one wants to understand Wright and where he comes from and where he is going...at least on a general level...One MUST read this book.
James
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Wright's popular level books (Lite Wright). But it packs a wallop. Covering much the same ground as Scot McKnight's King Jesus Gospel, Wright pushes his readers to enlarge their picture of what the good news really is. He sets Jesus in the context of Israel's hope; he sets the plan of salvation in the context of the renewal of all creation; he roots heaven in the experience of resurrection and the way the kingdom breaks into the present; he looks forward to Christ's return and th ...more
John
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2018
This is a "gospel" book, in the mold of "What is the Gospel?", "The King Jesus Gospel", "The World-Tilting Gospel" and others. While I have some reservations about this book, I do believe this is the best of the few that I've read because Wright has some out of the ordinary kinds of things to say. All the writers agree that the gospel is "good news" but the question is what that means.

Where Gilbert confuses the gospel with salvation, as McKnight says, it is a "de-storified" gospel, Wright builds
Matthew
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
It is not that I didn't like this book, in many ways I really did. But, it is my second lay level book that I have read for NT Wright and I am just not appreciating the level of writing he does intended for mass audiences. I would rather read his more technical stuff. I agreed with much of what he had to write in this book. It took me getting through 80% of the book to realize that his ultimate thesis in the book is actually making a case for a version of postmillennialism. Although, he never ac ...more
Nathan Schneider
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: salvation
Wright couches the gospel in the larger view of God's redemptive plan for salvation. He argues that the gospel is news about an event, the resurrection, and that it finds most significance in light of Israel's longing for a Messiah. Very helpful to think of salvation in terms of God's greater story, rather than just personal justification. He does address personal response to the gospel, but could have been more detailed in how someone is to respond.
Nick
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does a great job of capturing so many of Wright’s major concepts clearly and simply. Having read a lot of his books at this point, and having listened to dozens of his lectures online, I didn’t really encounter any new material here. What he did well with this book was condense, simplify, and illustrate with examples from history and current events.
Shawn Gearhart
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! I think all those in America who call themselves Christians should read it for a good perspective of the Good News of God's Kingdom coming to earth and of God Himself. Definitely a refreshing read for me.
James
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's NT Wright and it's about the most important news ever. 'nuf said.
Ken
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I appreciate NT Wright's big idea that the Gospel encompasses more than our individual salvations but includes the broader story of the restoration of the world. His points around our future not being far away in the sweet by and by but rather Heaven meets Earth and the Kingdom of God grows to fill the earth are well taken. He is easy to read and illustrates his points well.

My criticisms would be as follows:

He tends to create caricatures of others' positions

He tends to gloss over and not directl
Frank Peters
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This may possibly be my favourite book by N.T. Wright so far. It is closest in my eyes to “Surprised by Hope”. As in that book, Wright is dealing with a topic that while basic to Christianity is often misinterpreted and misunderstood. In this book, while dealing with the Good News or Gospel, Wright is excellent. He rather gently points out the false gospels of the world as well as the incomplete gospels that can be embraced by well-meaning Christians – myself included. Unusual for Wright, this p ...more
Adam Shields
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Review: While I think Simply Good News is probably going to be my suggestion for the best entry point for Wright, none of Wright's books are perfect. He has a tendency to over state his case a bit and while that is less here than most books, it is still here. I think while his point is to complicate the story and make it richer, more meaningful and more whole, there are times when he needs more summary to make sure everyone is following along.

Overall if you are new to NT Wright, this is a
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this yesterday and finished it today, which is no small feat for a Wright book.
I loved the simplicity N. T. brings to the table. He speaks conversationally, yet tackles deep philosophical issues in a method reminiscent of Socratic dialogues. I was a bit confused by his treatment of the Reformers. Did they successfully handle medieval misconceptions about God and the sacred/secular divide or not? He seems inconclusive, or at least takes for granted that his readers will know what he's
Madonna
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good by N.T. Wright was sent to me through the Good Reads program. First of all thanks for letting me read your book.

This book is one I will study for some time to come. I loved the way the Gospel was presented here and how the Good News was explained. Many of the verses were explained in ways I had not heard before and helps me to understand them much better. I really like hearing things in different ways because even when they are sai
Радостин Марчев
Една от най-достъпните книги на Н Т Райт. От доста годни и в доста свои книги той повтаря, че често християните и дори църквата в по-голям мащаб представя една твърде непълна, окарикатурена и дори погрешна "блага вест." В повечето случаи обаче когато се е опивал да каже защо и в какво това е така то е оставало не напълно разбрано от мен. В Simply good news Н Т Райт най-после много ясно и успешно успява да дестилира и синтезира нещата, които повтаря вече от много години по един ясен и лесно разби ...more
Tim
Perspective changing

I really liked Wright's emphasis on the lesser thought about, lesser presented aspects of the Gospel. Very enlightening read, will check out some of the author's other books sometime.

Wayne
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the number of sticky notes in this book the casual observer will notice that it got my attention. The penultimate chapter "Surprised by God" is worth the purchase of the book on it's own. Longer review to follow shortly.
Andy Brock
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply N.T. Wright

For all the words that are published by N.T. Wright, there is consistency in his approach and his theology. This is true to with this latest book. And as with his other popular books, his imagery makes these books very accessible for most readers.
Kristen
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
If you've never read anything by NT Wright, this would be a great place to start.
Brandon Wilkins
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good book in which NT Wright explains that the Gospel is Good News and just not good advice. The Gospel is the announcement of an event that changed the world already, will transform the future, and therefore has the power to change how we see the time between now and the future.

All in all, NT Wright does very well, he sets the Gospel in the context of the bigger story of redemptive-history, insists upon Jesus' ministry being interpreted in the light of Israel's history, and the
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simply Good News is a great book. Tom Wright has a very clear and easy way of explaining his viewpoint.

I ummed and ahhed about whether to give the book 4 stars or 5 stars. My only complaint would be is that it doesn't go deep enough, but then these books of Wright are specifically aimed at a more accessible format. Rule of thumb, if he is 'Tom Wright' the book is less academic/theological than books written under the name NT Wright.

Anyway, I've gone for 4 stars because it just didn't seem enough
Martha
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith, nonfiction
I don't know if I just don't have the attention span for non-fiction generally or theology-related books specifically, but after sometimes promising starts, I end up dragging myself to the finish line, even with the short, supposedly light ones. (Or maybe I need to actually delve deep into something instead of skimming across the top.)

Anyway, I liked a lot of what Wright had to say, and I think the simple focus on the gospel as Good News is an important one. He addresses briefly some of the majo
Ruth
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main theme of this book is, that Christians have a tendency to take one aspect of the gospel, and focus exclusively on that as being the entire good news. And through that, they actually lose the news itself and turn it into advice or a religious system.

I really agree with him, and for me this book came at a time when I was beginning to see how limiting my own views have been, and I found it very liberating and encouraging to see how real healing and transformation is possible already now, h
Jeff
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second full read-through of this book, plus I've gone back many times to peruse a chapter or two. I've been a student of NT Wright's teaching and writing for almost a decade now, and I think this is my favorite of his books. He does such an excellent job here of getting inside what the Christian gospel ("good news") meant in its original context, what that means today, and some of the most egregious ways we've misunderstood and missed it. I highly recommend this book for anyone with e ...more
Phillip Howell
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
There are plenty of good illustrations and I appreciate Wright’s ability to write at a popular level. Similar to his book “The Day the Revolution Began” his explanation of the gospel lacks nuance and balance, at best. There is plenty to like about this book but I suggest caution to buy everything he is selling here.

For instance, I’m glad he hammers against shallow and simplistic explanations of the gospel, but I’m not okay with how he is doing it. He makes it sound like all Protestants who beli
Joseph
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. NT Wright, in simple and clear language, reminds us of what the gospel always has been and always will be, contrasted with the reduced pictures we more often tend to hear.

As you read his explanations and citations of the Bible in context, you realize how easy it is to miss the big picture. As people in a postmodern, Western, wealthy, individualistic society, we tend to interpret the Scriptures in our own context without considering their own, and without considering how the church un
Curtis
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book about what the Gospel IS (not what it is about) and how having an undistorted view of the Gospel of Jesus Christ can help us be transformed (new creatures, biblically speaking). I really enjoyed this book, especially the last chapter where the Lord's prayer was covered in great detail, explaining how it helps see the priorities Jesus had in his prayer, and how it can help guide our lives as God intended us to live them.
Brian Sturtz
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! Ever wondered what is so good about the good news? What is the news? What does have have to do with daily living? NT Wright offers a clear eyed exploration of what makes the good news Jesus and early Christians wrote and talked both good and news. The book is designed to be readable by non-academics yet still provides plenty of rich scholarship. Don’t just add this book to your reading list. Read this book.
Filip Sekkelsten
Splendid! I can definitely see similarities between The Bible Project, NT Wright and Craig G. Bartholomew & Michael W. Goheen's "The Drama of Scripture". I agree with Wright in how he phrases the good news. This has great and fantastic consequences. It also reminds me of Howard Snyder's "Salvation Means Creation Healed". Seems the focus is in the wind, which is fabulous!
C.J. Scott
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this introduction to The Gospel. The fuller picture of the good news and what it means in in every tense (past, present and future).

Before listening to this I had been preparing lessons etc that were on the same subject, it served as really good confirmation as well as a source of fresh insights.
Benjamin Shurance
I found this to be a helpful explanation of the Gospel as good news and in terms of Kingdom, but reading it felt like wading against the current through deep water. It seemed at times that in an effort to make the book accesible to a popular audience, the author diluted or over-simplified things such to render them less meaningful.
Read Excerpts 1 6 Dec 05, 2014 08:30PM
  • Justification: God's Plan & Paul's Vision
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge
  • The Bible Tells Me So: Why Defending Scripture Has Made Us Unable to Read It
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Crucifixion
  • Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination
  • Young, Restless, No Longer Reformed: Black Holes, Love, and a Journey in and Out of Calvinism
  • A Glorious Dark: Finding Hope in the Tension Between Belief and Experience
  • Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul
  • The Drama of Doctrine: A Canonical-Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology
  • The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death of Jesus Christ
  • The Lost World of Adam and Eve: Genesis 2–3 and the Human Origins Debate
  • God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-Love of God Reorients Our World
  • Rich in Years: Finding Peace and Purpose in a Long Life
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi ...more
“When we say, “Jesus died for our sins” within a message about how to escape this nasty old world and go to heaven, it means one thing. When we say, “Jesus died for our sins” within a message about God the creator rescuing his creation from corruption, decay, and death, and rescuing us to be part of that, it means something significantly different.” 4 likes
“The good news that Jesus announced, like the good news that his first followers announced about him, was not a piece of advice, however good. It was about something that had happened, about something that would happen as a result, and about the new moment between those two, the moment in which people were in fact living, whether they realized it or not.” 3 likes