Start by marking “Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good” as Want to Read:
Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good

Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good

The bishop, Bible scholar, modern heir to C. S. Lewis, and revered author of Simply Christian and Simply Jesus offers a fresh look at the Gospel, explaining why Jesus’ message is “good news” and why it is more timely and transforming today than we know.

The Gospel means good news. But if the message has been around for 2,000 years, what makes it significant today? What’s so
Published January 6th 2015 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Simply Good News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simply Good News

Start your review of Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good
Tom
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, jesus, wright, 2015
I try not to give out a lot of 5 stars (simply b/c i don't think there are many books that deserve that high of rating)..so when I do, I honestly think it is an important and good book. To me, Wright summarizes succinctly many themes and ideas found in several other of his works (both popular and scholarly). If one wants to understand Wright and where he comes from and where he is going...at least on a general level...One MUST read this book.
John
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gospel, 2018, kindle
This is a "gospel" book, in the mold of "What is the Gospel?", "The King Jesus Gospel", "The World-Tilting Gospel" and others. While I have some reservations about this book, I do believe this is the best of the few that I've read because Wright has some out of the ordinary kinds of things to say. All the writers agree that the gospel is "good news" but the question is what that means.

Where Gilbert confuses the gospel with salvation, as McKnight says, it is a "de-storified" gospel, Wright builds
James
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Wright's popular level books (Lite Wright). But it packs a wallop. Covering much the same ground as Scot McKnight's King Jesus Gospel, Wright pushes his readers to enlarge their picture of what the good news really is. He sets Jesus in the context of Israel's hope; he sets the plan of salvation in the context of the renewal of all creation; he roots heaven in the experience of resurrection and the way the kingdom breaks into the present; he looks forward to Christ's return and th ...more
Corey
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5? This book should be required reading for Christians, just not the only required reading. There's so much in here poking holes through the dualistic cultural Christianity that I was raised in and more providing a biblical and an intriguing future. I haven't read too many Wright books, but from what I can tell, he bangs on the same drum very often (which is not a bad thing), and this is the most simple explanation of why he does that. God has begun the new creation in Christ.

The reason I didn
Frank Peters
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This may possibly be my favourite book by N.T. Wright so far. It is closest in my eyes to “Surprised by Hope”. As in that book, Wright is dealing with a topic that while basic to Christianity is often misinterpreted and misunderstood. In this book, while dealing with the Good News or Gospel, Wright is excellent. He rather gently points out the false gospels of the world as well as the incomplete gospels that can be embraced by well-meaning Christians – myself included. Unusual for Wright, this p ...more
Matthew
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
It is not that I didn't like this book, in many ways I really did. But, it is my second lay level book that I have read for NT Wright and I am just not appreciating the level of writing he does intended for mass audiences. I would rather read his more technical stuff. I agreed with much of what he had to write in this book. It took me getting through 80% of the book to realize that his ultimate thesis in the book is actually making a case for a version of postmillennialism. Although, he never ac ...more
Nathan Schneider
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: salvation
Wright couches the gospel in the larger view of God's redemptive plan for salvation. He argues that the gospel is news about an event, the resurrection, and that it finds most significance in light of Israel's longing for a Messiah. Very helpful to think of salvation in terms of God's greater story, rather than just personal justification. He does address personal response to the gospel, but could have been more detailed in how someone is to respond.
Tim
Perspective changing

I really liked Wright's emphasis on the lesser thought about, lesser presented aspects of the Gospel. Very enlightening read, will check out some of the author's other books sometime.

Kristen
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
If you've never read anything by NT Wright, this would be a great place to start.
Lisa
This is an easy version of my favorite NT Wright ideas on what the kingdom is and what it means to follow Jesus and how that changes everything on earth. I didn’t need to read it since I’ve read thicker versions of it before, but a friend passed it on so I went through it and I can pass it on to others who don’t want the more scholarly or stiffly written versions.
Nick
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does a great job of capturing so many of Wright’s major concepts clearly and simply. Having read a lot of his books at this point, and having listened to dozens of his lectures online, I didn’t really encounter any new material here. What he did well with this book was condense, simplify, and illustrate with examples from history and current events.
Shawn Gearhart
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! I think all those in America who call themselves Christians should read it for a good perspective of the Good News of God's Kingdom coming to earth and of God Himself. Definitely a refreshing read for me.
James
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's NT Wright and it's about the most important news ever. 'nuf said.
Amgad Agaiby
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Ken
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I appreciate NT Wright's big idea that the Gospel encompasses more than our individual salvations but includes the broader story of the restoration of the world. His points around our future not being far away in the sweet by and by but rather Heaven meets Earth and the Kingdom of God grows to fill the earth are well taken. He is easy to read and illustrates his points well.

My criticisms would be as follows:

He tends to create caricatures of others' positions

He tends to gloss over and not directl
Adam Shields
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Review: While I think Simply Good News is probably going to be my suggestion for the best entry point for Wright, none of Wright's books are perfect. He has a tendency to over state his case a bit and while that is less here than most books, it is still here. I think while his point is to complicate the story and make it richer, more meaningful and more whole, there are times when he needs more summary to make sure everyone is following along.

Overall if you are new to NT Wright, this is a
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this yesterday and finished it today, which is no small feat for a Wright book.
I loved the simplicity N. T. brings to the table. He speaks conversationally, yet tackles deep philosophical issues in a method reminiscent of Socratic dialogues. I was a bit confused by his treatment of the Reformers. Did they successfully handle medieval misconceptions about God and the sacred/secular divide or not? He seems inconclusive, or at least takes for granted that his readers will know what he's
Madonna
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good by N.T. Wright was sent to me through the Good Reads program. First of all thanks for letting me read your book.

This book is one I will study for some time to come. I loved the way the Gospel was presented here and how the Good News was explained. Many of the verses were explained in ways I had not heard before and helps me to understand them much better. I really like hearing things in different ways because even when they are sai
William
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of Wright's lay-oriented books these days..."Surprised by Hope", "How God Became King", "Simply Christian", "Simply Jesus", etc....present his core thesis regarding the Gospel in narrative-historical perspective and in light of the New Perspective on Paul with each emphasising a different aspect of the Gospel. In this case, Wright emphasises the "Good News" aspect of the Gospel. If you've read Wright's other books or if you've been reading his "Christian Origins and the Question of God" ser ...more
C.J. Scott
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this introduction to The Gospel. The fuller picture of the good news and what it means in in every tense (past, present and future).

Before listening to this I had been preparing lessons etc that were on the same subject, it served as really good confirmation as well as a source of fresh insights.
Andy Brock
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply N.T. Wright

For all the words that are published by N.T. Wright, there is consistency in his approach and his theology. This is true to with this latest book. And as with his other popular books, his imagery makes these books very accessible for most readers.
Wayne
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the number of sticky notes in this book the casual observer will notice that it got my attention. The penultimate chapter "Surprised by God" is worth the purchase of the book on it's own. Longer review to follow shortly.
Jared Ulrich
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry, theology
Wright has successfully provided an overview of the Christian gospel, showing why it was good news to Jesus' original followers, as well as, why it is good news for us today. The gospel is foolishness to some, scandalous to others, and good news to those who believe Jesus is the Messiahs. Wright presents the whole picture of the gospel with the necessary "backstory", providing the appropriate context to fully understand why the gospel is good news and why it is really true.

Wright explains that
Brandon Wilkins
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good book in which NT Wright explains that the Gospel is Good News and just not good advice. The Gospel is the announcement of an event that changed the world already, will transform the future, and therefore has the power to change how we see the time between now and the future.

All in all, NT Wright does very well, he sets the Gospel in the context of the bigger story of redemptive-history, insists upon Jesus' ministry being interpreted in the light of Israel's history, and the
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simply Good News is a great book. Tom Wright has a very clear and easy way of explaining his viewpoint.

I ummed and ahhed about whether to give the book 4 stars or 5 stars. My only complaint would be is that it doesn't go deep enough, but then these books of Wright are specifically aimed at a more accessible format. Rule of thumb, if he is 'Tom Wright' the book is less academic/theological than books written under the name NT Wright.

Anyway, I've gone for 4 stars because it just didn't seem enough
John
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The book is called "Simply Good News," N.T. Wright seems to make it complicated in places. The language he uses is easy for we non-theologians to understand. He employs analogies to make it easier for us to understand, sometimes at great lengths.
But the concepts still get into some fairly deep weeds.
My response to his book varied from chapter to chapter and paragraph to paragraph. When I agreed with what he said, I found his reasoning brilliant and loved his use of the language. When I disagree
Ruth
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main theme of this book is, that Christians have a tendency to take one aspect of the gospel, and focus exclusively on that as being the entire good news. And through that, they actually lose the news itself and turn it into advice or a religious system.

I really agree with him, and for me this book came at a time when I was beginning to see how limiting my own views have been, and I found it very liberating and encouraging to see how real healing and transformation is possible already now, h
Martha
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, faith
I don't know if I just don't have the attention span for non-fiction generally or theology-related books specifically, but after sometimes promising starts, I end up dragging myself to the finish line, even with the short, supposedly light ones. (Or maybe I need to actually delve deep into something instead of skimming across the top.)

Anyway, I liked a lot of what Wright had to say, and I think the simple focus on the gospel as Good News is an important one. He addresses briefly some of the majo
Grant
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
NT Wright has an complex writing style.
It is clear that he writes his thoughts, not to say that they are unclear, but that each sentence winds and stretches in his attempt to build the proposition, although it seems a bit argumentative at time, and thus, I found many of his sentences to be like this one, in that they tend to be long as they they carefully instruct and an idea and are filled with slight tangents or clarifying details separated by commas.
Past his sentence structure, I found his r
Jeff
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second full read-through of this book, plus I've gone back many times to peruse a chapter or two. I've been a student of NT Wright's teaching and writing for almost a decade now, and I think this is my favorite of his books. He does such an excellent job here of getting inside what the Christian gospel ("good news") meant in its original context, what that means today, and some of the most egregious ways we've misunderstood and missed it. I highly recommend this book for anyone with e ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Read Excerpts 1 6 Dec 05, 2014 08:30PM

• The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • The Unseen Realm
  • Where is God in a Coronavirus World?
  • The Bible Tells Me So: Why Defending Scripture Has Made Us Unable to Read It
  • That All Shall Be Saved: Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation
  • Gospel Allegiance: What Faith in Jesus Misses for Salvation in Christ
  • How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That's Great News
  • Angels: What the Bible Really Says About God’s Heavenly Host
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • Let Justice Roll Down
  • The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs
  • Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up
  • Darwin Devolves : The New Science About DNA That Challenges Evolution
  • Encounters with Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life's Biggest Questions
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just
  • Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi ...more

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“But many people today assume that Christianity is one or more of these things – a religion, a moral system, a philosophy. In other words, they assume that Christianity is about advice. But it wasn’t and isn’t. Christianity is, simply, good news. It is the news that something has happened as a result of which the world is a different place.” 5 likes
“The wrath of God is simply the shadow side of the love of God for his wonderful creation and his amazing human creatures. Like a great artist appalled at the way his paintings have been defaced by the very people who were supposed to be looking after them, God’s implacable rejection of evil is the natural outflowing of his creative love. God’s anger against evil is itself the determination to put things right, to get rid of the corrupt attitudes and behaviors that have spoiled his world and his human creatures. It is because God loves the glorious world he has made and is utterly determined to put everything right that he is utterly opposed to everything that spoils or destroys that creation, especially the human creatures who were supposed to be the linchpins of his plan for how that creation would flourish. That’s why, as Paul’s argument progresses in this same letter, he frames its central passage not with God’s anger but with his powerful, rescuing love (Rom. 5:1–11; 8:31–39).” 4 likes