Start by marking “The Kind Worth Killing” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  56,026 Ratings  ·  6,825 Reviews
A devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder. Fans of Paula Hawkins’ The Girl on the Train will love this modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train from the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart—which the Washington Post said “should be a contender for c ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Kind Worth Killing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Natalie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jacqueline
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Holly
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Holy. Effing. Shit.

Now THIS was a damn great book. Everything I hoped both Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train would be...but weren't.
Diane
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book should be getting more attention.

The Kind Worth Killing is a smart, well-crafted psychological thriller. Fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train should be all over this novel (but I thought Kind/Killing was much better than the bestselling-but-forgettable Girl/Train).

The story opens with a man and woman, Ted and Lily, chatting in an airport lounge. Ted is upset because he recently found out his wife, Miranda, is cheating on him. Lily encourages him to talk, and says she'll help hi
Jeffrey Keeten
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
”Truthfully, I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”

We are brought up to believe that murdering someone is the worst thing we could ever do, but is it? If a person is leaving a wide wake of broken hearts and battered spirits and in some cases much, much worse, is it really the worst thin
Mischenko
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on this week's Throwback Thursday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson is a psychological thriller that will have you guessing until the end!

Just who are the kind worth killing?

If you haven't read this book, I recommend skipping my review and the blurb. There aren't any big spoilers here, but going in blind is probably the best...

The story starts out with Lily and Ted. The two strangers come together for a game of truth which tu
Carol
HA.....WHAT AN ENDING! (smile)

Murder here.....Murder there.....Murder everywhere in this page-turning mystery-thriller! I was surprised more than once, thoroughly entertained from beginning to end, and even found myself rooting for the devious and dangerous little psycho killer.....well, most of the time.

Great Read!

Jennifer Masterson
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun. 4.5 Stars. If you like psychological thrillers definitely give this one a try. The first twist totally threw me for a loop. I'm surprised The Girl on the Train was hyped more than this book was. I found a The Kind Worth Killing to be much better.
Carol (Bookaria)
I don't know how I missed this novel when it came out but I'm glad I finally read it. It was an excellent thriller!

Ted and Lily met on a flight back to the States. He shares that he recently found out his wife is cheating on him with his contractor. Ted is rich and Miranda a young and beautiful woman. In his devastation he tells Lily (jokingly) that he would kill his wife for her cheating and is surprised when Lily agrees and supports this decision. From then on the story turns darker and what f
Skyler Autumn
5 Stars

I would describe The Kind Worth Killing as a cluster fuck of mayhem that I absolutely loved. Peter Swanson takes us on a twisty turn-y action packed thriller that begins with a simple conversation between two strangers at an airport bar. After wealthy, and when I say wealthy I mean absurdly filthy stinking rich, Ted Severson confesses after one too many martinis to a beautiful mystery woman on the bar stool beside him that he caught his wife cheating on him, quickly following with a fli
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey guys, I just read the next Gone Girl!!!! Nah, just kidding. This one was actually a retelling of an oldie . . .

Houston commercial photography

which I didn’t even realize was a book. Some booknerd I am, huh? Anywho, to me there is no greater timesuck than a Hitchcock movie marathon and Strangers on a Train is one of my all-time faves.

At the airport bar before a trans-Atlantic flight, Ted meets Lily. After having one too many cocktails, Ted starts dropping truth
Linda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just imagine.......

All things in the universe line up like stepping stones for you. The right/wrong people at the right/wrong time. And this is how it plays out for the main character of Lily. She dips her fingers into the pond and the concentric circles of ripples take their effect.

"Chet, can you do me a favor?" I don't think that I'd ever used his name before, and the word sounded strange in my mouth, like a swearword I wasn't supposed to say. And so it begins.....

Peter Swanson takes us for a
Jen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this I started to categorize people I knew who pissed me off. According to this book, they would be considered the ‘kind worth killing’. Attention Grabber. Life, you’re going on hold. I need to read this!
Swanson has created a sensual thriller where 2 strangers meet at an airport and decide to play a game of truth telling. It quickly becomes a recipe for the murder of a spouse. Through brilliant twists and turns and various characters, the story comes together and is
Debra
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
WOWZA! This book sucked me in, chewed me up and spit me out. By the way, I loved every freakin minute of it. Just who is the bad guy in this book? Who is the victim? Who is to be trusted? Who will double cross you? Is there anyone you can trust? Who is a killer? Who will be killed? Oh Lord does this book keep the bodies dropping as a psycho killer keeps killing.

Ted Severson meets Lily Kinter on a flight. He finds her to be both attractive and intriguing. Over drinks he shares with her that his w
Justin
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I will never understand why books like The Girl on the Train become runaway bestsellers when books like this exist. Yeah, yeah... there are similarities. This story revolves around four crazy people doing crazy stuff with plenty of crazy plot twists along the way just like that other book I mentioned. But, come on, this story is so much better. I loved how the story begins with Ted and Lily running into each other at the airport and having an interesting conversation. And, I loved how the second ...more
Debbie
I’m forever in search of the next Gone Girl, and this isn’t it. I seriously wish all the damn marketers would stop leading me on.

This book isn’t a bad psychological thriller; I just wasn’t wowed. Okay, okay, it IS twist city, and yes, that was great fun. The characters are deliciously wicked and creative in their evil ways. The writing is straightforward, and the story flows easily--no wrong moves here. The author tells a riveting story. But, but…

Each chapter title is the name of a character wh
Wendy Darling
Solidly entertaining, and a real page-turner. It got a little messy towards the end, but it's still very good.

Recommended if you liked THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN--and if you didn't, you still might like this if you thought TRAIN was too slow. (view spoiler)
Jennifer Kyle
3.5ISH Stars
(4 Stars ~ For Writing/3ish Stars~ For overall story)

description

This story was well written and highly addicting. It was a very fast paced read that doesn’t have much romance to speak of. I didn’t particularly love how things ended but did love the thrill of the ride.

"Truthfully, I don't think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example,
Will Byrnes
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’d taken enormous risks in the past two weeks, and I was lucky to have gotten away with them. But now I was done. It was over. I would live a quiet life and make sure that no one could hurt me again. I would continue to survive, knowing, as I’d known that night in the meadow, the stars pouring their light down on me, that I was special, that I was born with a different kind of morality. The morality of an animal—of a crow or a fox or an owl—and not of a normal human being.
Peter Swanson, auth
Sammy Loves Books
WOW!! Murder, Sex, and Conspiracy to Murder...
Talk about a Thrilling page turner

Lily Kintner

d

Imagine meeting an attractive stranger on a plane ride from London to the States. After sharing a few drinks, you each start to divulge secrets about your lives. It's all anonymous, so what's the harm? It's all fun until a jaded lover begins to talk about killing their unfaithful spouse.

Lily's story will suck you in and have you cheering for the antagonist.

Miranda
Miranda

Miranda is a beautiful, selfish, vixen an
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
A PROUD ADDITION TO THE TWISTER HALL OF FAME at www.booksbejeweled.com

“I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”
― Peter Swanson, The Kind Worth Killing

This first-rate domestic thriller has never gotten the attention it deserved. It won a couple of awards when it was released in 2015, but T
Dem
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dem by: Noeleen
Wonderfully twisted and chilling suspense novel that will keep you tuning the pages.

Thank you Noeleen for recommending this book as I was having a reading slump and this was just the book to make me sit up and shake of the cobwebs.

This Novel grabbed my attention from Page one with its short flowing chapters and its quirky plot which starts with a conversation in an Airport bar between two strangers and leads to some riveting reading.
A cast of despicable characters and a plot full of twists and
Norma * Traveling Sister
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoa! I gotta say that some of the twists and turns in this book definitely took me by surprise!!!

I must admit near the beginning of THE KIND WORTH KILLING by PETER SWANSON had me feeling a little bit uncomfortable and questioning the motives of our devious, scheming, and manipulative main character, Lily. I just didn't know if I could get passed the planning stages and the idea that it was okay to murder someone and Lily’s dispassionate comment that Miranda, seems like “the kind worth killing”
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery
So. Fucking. Good.
Luke Narlee
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I noticed that I marked this book as "read," but nothing else (aka: no rating or review) which I don't normally do. So, because that's abnormal for me and because I think this book deserves better, I'm going to write something about it. But, I must warn you ahead of time...I didn't get enough sleep last night and my current mood is a little delirious and strange. Enter at your own risk...

It's been a while since I read this, so I am currently incapable of giving a detailed review. So you are abso
Diane S ☔
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking of two lines in the poem, "Marmion" by Sir Walter Scott, taken completely out of context of course, "Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." This book was deception after deception, deceptions to cover other deceptions. Even when it looked like one thing was going to happen, something else did.

Definitely kept one reading, such a grouping of characters with little or no conscience. Well written, suspenseful and rapidl
Sandra
description

Two strangers (Ted Severson and Lily Kintner) begin talking to each other in a lounge-bar at London’s Heathrow airport. While their flight is delayed they begin to tell each other a little bit about themselves. Ted mentions that he is married and that he thinks his wife Miranda is having an affair with the house contractor, Brad. Ted says, in an offhand way, that he would like to kill his wife Miranda. Lily replies, “I think you should”. Is she joking? She offers to help him. When they get on th
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a thriller! This book has a lot of twists and feel that it was a very fun book! I was shocked at the ending which was another twist! If you haven't read this yet and love thrillers this one is a must!It all started when Faith stole Lily's boyfriend Eric from her and it never seems to stop. Scene after scene of sociopaths and murderers, and right when you think that you have it figured out another twist pops up! The ending was the thrill and I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't hold i ...more
Zoeytron
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
Check your incredulity at the door. It will not be able to withstand the strain of this story. BUT! I really don't care about that in this case because this novel entertained me from beginning to end. It's a very quick read with surprising turns of events, and a delectable ending.

I fully realize the coincidences were raining down at a pretty good clip, but I liked the story so much it just didn't matter. Eye rolling is good exercise!

(view spoiler)
Trudi

It's easy to compare this one to The Girl on the Train or even Gone Girl. It definitely has that vibe of psychologically damaged minds perpetrating dark deeds in the midst of a twisty, sinuous plot. It also shares the multiple POV narration, which when done well, can add SO MUCH to these types of stories.

As it does here. I would actually argue that The Kind Worth Killing is an even stronger and more page-turning book than The Girl On the Train (whose underwhelming ending left me sort of underwh
Elyse
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Could he possibly have secrets, as well?"

"And now I was realizing......" ( you think I'm going to tell you?)

"The day was cold and gray"...... ( of course, what mystery murder thriller do you know that happened on a bright warm sunny day?)

"I wondered of course" .....( me too) .... But I figured out the ending 50% into it.

"I pretended to be interested." ( I really really tried)

"I watched his eyes hunt my face. I knew I looked quite a bit different from when I had checked in". ( always a reason o
Iris P
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
The Kind Worth Killing

“The Kind worth Killing” by author Peter Swanson, is full of sociopathic, vengeful and backstabbing characters. It is a highly gripping, addictive and brilliantly executed psychological suspense novel.

The novel is told from the perspective of alternative narratives between the main characters and it truly takes you on a very twisted and wild ride. Although there’s bloodshed the author does not relishes in providing lots of gratuitous and gory details.

One of my pet peeves
  • The Daylight Marriage
  • A Pleasure and a Calling
  • When She Was Bad
  • The Burning Air
  • I Love You More
  • Little Black Lies
  • I Let You Go
  • The Doll Maker (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #8)
  • The Innocent Sleep
  • Lie Still
  • Under Your Skin
  • In the Blood
  • Until You're Mine (DCI Lorraine Fisher #1)
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • Don't You Cry
  • Bellweather Rhapsody
  • No One Knows
  • House of Echoes
Peter Swanson is the author of four novels: The Girl With a Clock For a Heart, an LA Times Book Award finalist; The Kind Worth Killing, winner of the New England Society Book Award, and finalist for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger; Her Every Fear, an NPR book of the year; and his most recent, All the Beautiful Lies. His books have been translated into 30 languages, and his stories, poetry, and fe ...more
More about Peter Swanson

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Everyone has a full life, even if it ends soon. All lives are complete experiences.” 24 likes
“Everyone dies, but not everyone has to see someone they love with another person. She struck the first blow.” 12 likes