Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 2

Black Butler, Vol. 2

(黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] #2)

As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red...in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be "Jack the Ripper" - and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Yen Press World (first published July 27th 2007)

Start your review of Black Butler, Vol. 2
John Egbert
AUGH! It looks so creepy and I can't resist! I may have not liked the first one that much, but in the absence of D Gray Man I am willing to give you another chance.

COME BACK D GRAY MAN! I LOVE YOU!

Erhm...(this wasn't supposed to turn into whining of no new chapters -_-)

So yeah...

---

I finished, and here are my thoughts.

1. Sebastian is really, really, REALLY creepy.

2. Yana Toboso needs to just stop it with...er...THINGS SHE DOES. Like this: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2017-2...

(Gah...erm...him
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5stars

Somehow I was totally wrong in guessing who the killer is. Very nice little twist!
Needles to say that this volume was very entertaining. The pacing was much better than the first one, and the art aren't as cluttered.
Cannot wait to dive into volume 3.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
linda (flourishreader)
a great second volume including the mysterious case of Jack the Ripper . 🔪
Anusha Narasimhan
True rating: 2.5

Don't you hate it when the supporting characters are portrayed as cardboards just to make the lead look three dimensional? I know that the maid, the chef, and the gardener are shown to be bad at their work just to showcase Sebastian's brilliance, but I really can't buy into it. If they are highly incompetent that they cannot even do the basics of their job right and require Sebastian to save the day, how are they not fired? Also, why would they choose a job that they are utterly
Sophie Crane
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The Rise Of Grell Sutcliff.

This is a series which continues to get better with each volume. The main case here is the Jack the Ripper case. I won't reveal anything but it's a good take on it. Humour is used early in this volume demonstrating Sebastian's skills as a butler.

I watched the anime before reading the manga, and whilst the anime is good the manga is better. The elements of humour, fantasy and horror which make up this fantastic series really stand out in the manga. And the art is
Anna
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Feelings about a book have never been more mixed.

The Text:

The Subtext:

Let me get started by saying that the upfront text in this volume was much stronger than the first. The characters are developing quite well, the new characters introduced were intriguing and very diverse, it was much more interesting, much less confusing, and just a much stronger plot over all. It was a wildly original twist on the "Jack the Ripper" case that plagued London. I loved that aspect of it, I truly did.
Emily G
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, books-2011
An unexpected Christmas present, and I did enjoy it, but what I'm interested in is why Ciel has made a covenant with Sebastian, and that was only hinted at.

I'm still going to give it 4 stars though, purely for Sebastian's love of cats, as I am known to react the same way in the presence of felines :-)!
F.D. Gross
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, manga
As is typical with the Black Butler series, volume 2 starts of with light fluffing, the day in, day out routines of the phantom hive Butler. The other servants of the house have no real skills which leaves everything up to Sebastion. As the story continues on, things become darker, dancing on elements of investigating the killings of Jack the Ripper, notorious serial murderer.

Black Butler is reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes, which I adore, as a detective series. As the book goes on, things become
Agnė
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Heh. It was such a fun read. I loved Ceil in disguise, haha. It was precious tosee him dressed in (view spoiler). And I haven't guess who the killer is. I just haven't seen it coming. So a huge plus for it. I thought I loved the first one, and I did - it was cute and fun. But this one I've loved even more. The pacing, the drawing, the mystery. Loved it! I'm a big fan on Sebastian. Love him in this volume a lot.
Anastasiaadamov
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, manga
I miss the colors from the anime show!
Ashley Chen
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-or-manga
Okay this is my fourth time attempting to write this review. UGH. Why does it tend to disappear on me.

Anyway, I would like to say this volume was a major improvement on the last volume. I mean it is not really fair to compare the two but sorry, I gotta.

Firstly, you know I fancy Jack the Ripper stories. My, oh my, was this one good. ;)

But I like to mention again how unnecessary the "servants screw ups" are. *sigh* I mean I understand by Yana put them in the story but gosh is it every boring? I
Carrie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I liked it and I didn't like it. Compared to volume one, the story was far more focused and just flowed much better. However, I really felt like it lacked the action of the first volume, and also there wasn't nearly as much um, butlery? Is that a word? What I'm trying to say is that the first volume charmed me with the contrast between Sebastian's polish as a butler (executing the perfect table cloth trick to save "young master" from embarrassment) and his ruthlessness as an assassin ...more
Lissete Cisneros
Sibil
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second volume is pretty heavy on the emotional stuff. It's important because we learn more about Ciel and Sebastian relationship, and we just see more of them together (and this is always an amazing thing! *_*), and it's important because we met some new and very important characters. Grell, for once, Will and... yes, one of my favorite characters ever (one that could even beat Sebastian if I think enough about it), and yes I am talking about Undertaker. I freaking love him!
I am not a huge
Lori C
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim-fantasy
Mixing history and and fantasy is always a sensitive experiment, especially in the case of actual figures. It seems to always come off flawlessly or seem ridiculous. Black Butler does a grand job mixing Jack The Ripper into its world, even driving one to want to spend some time wondering if The Ripper really was some sort of demon...? ...more
CatNg ChoiEn
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much better plot then the first volume. What a bloody plot twist at the end of the arc. The reveal of the serial killer was done nicely. I like the Jack the Ripper references and them reapers tho~😂 Grell is a great addition to the current cast.
Jessica
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Wow what an unexpected plot twist and ending this volume had. I really enjoyed the story and I love the artwork.
Bookwatcher
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons, manga
Ohhhh I liked it, but I think it's not original, and I'm giving 3 stars

I'm so tired of the use of such figure, Jack the ripper

So when the Black Butler used it too I was annoyed.

But it's a good manga, still impeccable draw and very great demon theme.

I like A LOT and LAMO when (view spoiler)... I adored also Sebastian (view spoiler)

Great manga

But for the not so original use of Jack the Ripper I'm giving less stars than I would
Ladiibbug
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 Black Butler

Queen Victoria enlists 12 y/o Ciel Phantomhive to resolve the Jack the Ripper killings. Sebastian the butler of many seemingly supernatural talents is along as well.

Ciel balances his duties as head of a huge toy and candy company, as well as being head of Queen Victoria's secret agency, while dealing with being a 12 y/o, mainly interested in eating sweets and napping. Sebastian pursues the madman, and making time for young Ciel's etiquette lessons.

Fun, unique, love the details at
Sara
I love the devil of a butler. I do not love the cast of characters in this manga. If it weren't for the charismatic butler with his secretive, wicked smile and his dashing ways, I would not be continuing the series.

I found the premise of the story great - the hunt for Jack the Ripper. The execution of the story was a bit confusing and I was often distracted by other things going on in the background of the panels. At times it was a chore to get through. I hope #3 is better.
Elaine White
This was a really good progression from the previous plot, still the same atmosphere and troubles with the staff, which kicked off the story, then progressing into a much darker storyline. There was still the same quality and skill of illustrations. I found the plot and action scenes easier to follow this time around, and I loved the intriguing twist on the Jack the Ripper story.
Maria Kaye
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I'm pretty sure no one cared about Madam Red, I sure as hell didn't. And omg hahaha that pervy scene with Sebby helping Ciel into the corset.
Erin Dunn
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
I decided not to review this one separately but here is the review I did for the first one.

Grace Troxel
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

Next up on my queue of vacation readingBlack Butler! As I mentioned when I reviewed the first volume, Black Butler is one of my all-time favorite anime series, and Im now reading the manga that it was based on.

Black Butler is set in an alternate version of Victorian England. Ciel Phantomhive, the protagonist, is an orphan and the heir to the Funton toy empire. Ciel is always accompanied
Sophia Buhrow
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response: I don't exactly know why I waited to read this when it was just sitting on my desk at home, but now that I have, I'm kind of sad how I don't have the next one. Either way it was just as thrilling as I thought it would be, and one of my favorite characters was introduced in this volume, Grelle Sutcliff.

Plot: A letter is sent to Ciel from the queen telling of a serial killer known as "Jack the Ripper". He has been tearing prostitutes apart in the East end of London. Ciel, with
Hawra
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Again, I love her art.....!!!

The story in this volume didn't grab my attention, but I liked how it ended in vol.3.
It is interesting to observe the relationship between Ciel and Sebastian, it is more clear in the manga than the anime that Ciel knows how to treat Sebastian as he is aware of his true nature.. a demon.

I'm excited to read the rest of the series.. and in love with Grell!!!!
Jason
Jessica
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so great so far! I love how dark and twisted these are, with some comic relief with Sebastian. Definitely going to keep up with this series, all 26 volumes of it.... :)
Aubree
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story Black butler By Yana Toboso is a great comedy, horror and thriller. This is the second book of the series. If you havent read the first one I recommend reading it and then this one. The plot follows the case of Jack the Ripper. When the Queen is worried she sends out her Lap dog to go stop the killer. This volume is actually my favorite because of the new character that was introduced, Grell Sutcliff. He was a comedic relief. He was so giggly and funny. This goes along how they can ...more
Karissa
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second volume in the Black Butler series and it was even better than the first. There is some mystery and some humor and of course a lot more Ceil and Sebastian.

The London season is waning but a new terror is stalking the streets of London in the dark hours; the terror is only known as Jack the Ripper. Ciel Phantomhive is summoned to London by the Queen to solve the mystery behind Jack the Ripper and clean up the mess this killer has left behind. Of course Sebastian travels with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9 (Vampire Knight, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 巻ノ四十三
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 12 (Ouran High School Host Club, #12)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Bleach, Volume 04
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 [Tokyo Guru 2] (Tokyo Ghoul, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Tome 2 (Blue Exorcist, #2)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • Junjo Romantica, Volume 01
  • Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client (Naruto, #2)
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.

黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)