Start by marking “The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #2)

The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare

(Alex Wayfare #2)

As Alex's sister loses the fight against cancer, a race for a cure sends Alex traveling back and forth through time, dodging enemy Descenders who seem to know Alex's every move before she does. Realizing her enemies have privileged information, Alex fears there is a traitor hiding within the small band of allies she's grown to trust.
A traitor who might bring Gesh straigh
Published April 26th 2016 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare, please sign up.
Echo Yes. This book happens directly after the first one and references events from the first book. You need to read the first one.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) The first book is being re-published in April by Diversion Books, so I'm assuming that they are also going to pick up the next book!
I guess they also…more
I guess they also redesigned the cover, so now they won't match :(

mith
If I'm honest with myself and the rest of you, I'm going to have to say that I didn't expect much from this book.
I read the first book around when it came out, give or take a few days. I was extremely excited and extremely let down so when news trickled in for this book, I was wary.
(Go, Cookie!)
The rating I'm giving this falls under GR's "It was okay" because there's not much to really say about it. I thought I could expect Alex to grow up in this novel, but she still seemed childish. She consta
Jen
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard one (for me) to review without spoilers, but here goes...

If you loved book one, you will love this one. Maybe even more.

It has all of the edge-of-your-seat time-travely action, and swoony romance book one had, and then some. M.G. Buehrlen leaves no question unanswered, loose end untied, or heart-string yanked. I thoroughly enjoyed the new characters and I really wish more books were in the works. It would be fun to read some of the other Descenders' life stories. :coughs: Levi :co
La Coccinelle
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I'm so disappointed. This book had the potential to be amazing, but it fell so flat. I've been waiting for this sequel for a couple of years now, wanting some resolution to the cliff-hanger ending of the first book. Not only was that cliff-hanger never really resolved, but the ending of this book reads like the end of the series. Not cool.

Please, dear author, I want some more...

The premise of this series is what I found so intriguing about the first book. A reincarnating time traveller in the
Teri
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well - I didn't think it was possible to like the second book in this series any more than the first - I was wrong.

Alex is now a little wiser, more mature, and very aware of what's expected of her. She also knows what she wants and refuses to be anyone's pawn. With her dying sister, time-travel missions, boy problems, and attempts at figuring out who's an ally and who isn't, Alex has enough on her plate to make your head spin.

With heaps of action, heartwarming family moments, new missions, and a
SpookySoto
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: I liked it 😊
2019’s around the year in 52 books challenge: #34, A book with a person's name in the title

I liked it but in this one the lack of development of the concept and world building became more evident. The novel was filled with convenient plot devices, deux ex machina resolutions. The romance became annoying, not much happened and there’s no real resolution to the overall arc, I guess it had (or has) more books planned, but to this date there are only two, so the ending is open.
Kristen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy I was able to get an early copy of this book at the SEYA Book Festival.

I absolutely loved the first one, it drew me in all the right ways. Not only is this book series interesting, it made me grow to be very attached to its cast of characters.

I love the character of Alex Wayfare. She is so determined and cares so much for the people in her life.

Once again, I loved how time travel is explored in this novel and how Alex has the skills of the people from her past life, that is just s
Jess Crafts
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
So. This is a good book. I wanted to start by saying that before I explain my very biased rating. Because I am aware enough to know it’s kind of unfair but I’m not changing it. There is a betrayal in this book. And I feel betrayed. Its as simple as that. The end of the first book promised me something and I never got it. I don’t like when that happens. I was expecting a certain kind of sequel and this wasn’t it. It was good but it wasn’t the book I was expecting.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much and I want more of it. Someone please tell me that there is going to be another book, not having another book is unacceptable.

The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare is the second book in the Alex Wayfare series and Buehrlen has done it again. This book is just as wonderful as the first book in the series, if not more so. This time around we know a lot of the main characters and we are only introduced to a couple of new ones and we know the basics of this world so by now
Alexa
Was that.... it? 'Cause if so, it was a pretty dang weak ending for this duology. I have serious trouble remembering if and what even happened that was ultimately of importance at all. I thought we'd be finding Blue in Base Life in this novel, but nope. There was barely even any time travel at all, there were two missions and one of them was barely explained and dwelled on. ... What? The revelations at the end came very abruptly, like someone had flipped a switch and I had serious whiplash (view ...more
Caroline
3.5
Just as fun a read as the first, and a bit more mature and confident.
Allison
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Loved the first book and was very excited for this one, but it was such a disappointment. I wanted the same action, intrigue, puzzles, and spark of romance that the first gave. Instead, it was 90% angst and 10% Asian exoticism. I don't like posting negative reviews, so I'm only saying this for those of you who read the first and have not read this one yet: either leave the series with the first, or wait several more years for all four books to be out. Also, be okay with plotholes and in-world lo ...more
Carla
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the first installment of Alex's story but now that I've finally read the second and last part I just remembered, and I'm so glad I decided to buy it. I like how the story is a bit different from what I'm used to while at the same time being pretty similar. I enjoyed learning more about the characters and getting to know some new ones. It's also pretty awesome to be transported to another age and place with Alex when she time travels, I love it, especially China.
Allison
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice ending, though not as good as book one. A bit predictable and the ending seemed really rushed.
Becky
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Alex only recently learned that she's a Descender, one of very few people able to travel via soulmarks through time. But traveling via soulmark has certain restrictions, restrictions that don't apply to Alex because she's been reincarnated fifty-seven times. While other Descenders can only use any given soulmark once, Alex can travel her own past lives an infinite number of times.

That's a whammy of a discovery!

But there's more, in her previous life Alex escaped the very people who used her abil
Dave
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great sequel

My kids loved both Alex Wayfare books. Highly recommend them. We hope there is another sequel. Both books would make great movies
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Though it’s been a couple of years since I read The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare, I actually managed to get through the sequel without a reread of book one. Of course, I’d read that book twice, so maybe it’s not the herculean feat I feel like it is. The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare is a solid sequel and will definitely please fans of the first book.

The one thing that I was missing in my reread was my grasp on exactly how the time traveling works; that much specific, detailed recall is ju
Penny
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been eagerly waiting for this book for 2 years, and I'm happy to say I was not disappointed! Picking up right after The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare left off, Alex's search for Blue in base-life is an all-consuming need. She doesn't know who she can trust but she can't do it alone, so she takes risks. Some work, but not all. Each stumbling block in her path is more deadly, and Blue just seems farther away.
Then, Alex's sister takes a turn for the worse and this throws Alex into a tailspin. He
Any Length
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great second installment of the series. It can stand alone, but is best read in order by reading "The fifty-seven lives of Alex Wayfare" first.
This book brought a few interesting developments with it and now I can't wait for the next one.
It is gripping and heart wrenching at times.
One little thing, a timing belt takes more than a few minutes to change - more like several hours actually. A mechanically minded editor would have picked that up. But the author needs to make sure that the
Jolene
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book! So many feels! I am always hesitant reading a sequel because they aren't always as good as the first but Ms. Buehrlen picks up right where the first book left off and it is action packed until the end. The main character, Alex, continues to travel back in time. This time to try and find a cure for her sister dying of cancer and she finds her soulmate, Blue, again. There are some problems that occur and Alex has to make some difficult decisions. I just love this series. The author told ...more
Kristen
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still weirdly smitten with this series. And when I get halfway through, I end up reading far into the night (like I am right now) until I finish it.

If you liked the first one, you'll like the sequel. It's a faster read--it's shorter and dives in quicker--but just as enjoyable. The historical rivets are exciting and well researched (but hey, I'm not a history buff!), and gave the series that extra hot pepper kick that it needed. Time travel books are hard, but I think Buehrlen did a great jo
MaykenAlanna
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MaykenAlanna by: Elisabeth Norton
This sequel picks up where THE 57 LIVES OF ALEX WAYFARE ended. Trying to find Blue in Base Life, Alex is hunted by Gesh as she tries to find a cure for the cancer that is killing her sister. But there is a traitor who knows into which life she descends. Blue? Levi? Alex's sub Micki? And is Jensen only playing nice, or does she really like Alex? And how much time does Alex have left to find the answers?
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
The sequel was a little whinier. And I was disappointed in the ending. While I appreciated the way things came together in a not too contrived way, I was hoping for more closure at the very end; if you read the book, you'll know what I mean. Still worth reading for the completion of the storyline.
Hollie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Karissa Goellner
It had been awhile since I read the first one so it was a bit hard for me to remember what all had happened at the start. That being said, these books would make such great movies! They're action-packed, timely, and yet have the spattered historical elements as well. I really love these books and home Buehrlen continues to write them. I ate this up from start to finish.
Keri
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I give this one 3 1/2 stars. It is a pretty good continuation of the first book and while I like the way it ends for the most part, I think there was a lot left out of the ending. I don't know if the author has plans for another book or not but I definitely think there is still more to be told of this story.
Kailey (Kathryn is looking for me)
I think it had the best ending it could have. At the same time though, it was kinda unsatisfying. I wish it was longer and that there was another one, but leaving the ending how it now is fine, I think. I still want there to be more though.
April
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Tons of action with a little history, a little romance, a little mystery and a little sci-fi. Great follow-up to the first book. Will definitely read more if there are more. :)
Tony
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I could have used a bit more. It felt rushed, but I really like this series. I hope all the publisher stuff is fixed and we can get the next few books in a timely fashion.
Emily
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MUST. HAVE. MORE!!!!
Lora
Apr 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and somehow missed that it is book two in a series. Can anyone tell me if it can be read as a standalone?

• Control (Shift, #2)
  • The Blue Woods (Twin Willows, #3)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Surviving (Existing, #2)
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • Doom of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #4)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • All Fall Down: The Landslide Diary of Abby Roberts
  • Tainted (Broken, #2)
  • The Dream Protocol (Descent #1)
  • Crimson (The Ultimate Power, #2.5)
  • Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett, #2)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Tomb of the Khan (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants #2)
  • Sleep of Death (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)
MG Buehrlen is the author of the ALEX WAYFARE series. She is a retired programmer, social media director, and tech junkie who co-developed YABooksCentral.com, the largest social network for young adult book lovers. After too many years in the computer world, she now tries to live off-grid as much as possible, writing novels instead of PHP code and exploring the unbeaten paths with her husband and ...more

Alex Wayfare (2 books)
  • The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #1)
“Because life must go on. We have to keep up appearances. We can't risk doing anything suspicious. All the greatest superheroes had other identities. They had real, everyday lives to keep them grounded and their sects safe. They had people to lice and fight for in the real world. Superman had Lois Lane. Spider-Man had--"

"Mary Jane."

"I was going to say Gwen.”
1 likes
“Little things at first. Sunlight. Melodies. Smells. They'll awaken something inside you. An image will flash. Then you'll remember deeper things. Like how you felt when he touched you. Kissed you."

I grip the armrests of the chair, trying to stay cool. "Would you stop?"

"I thought you'd want to be prepared. Those memories, they're going to feel real. And you may start having urges--"

"Oh god, please don't use that word. Why are adults always using that word?"

"What word? Urges?"

"Gah." I plus my ears.

She shrugs. "I'm just saying."

"Stop saying. And stop planting stuff in my head."

"She raises a sharp eyebrow. "I'm planting stuff in you head now? How very sci-fi of me.”
0 likes