Jump to ratings and reviews

The Inclusive Bible: The First Egalitarian Translation

12 books2 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (2%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
Profile Image for Sonnie.
6 reviews
June 5, 2011
How could one ever remove a bible from the "currently-reading" category?

As one who believes that it is truly sinful to anthropomorphize God, and that it diminishes God to attribute human gendering to God, this translation speaks to me. Previously-published as The Inclusive New Testament, The Inclusive Psalms, and three-volume Inclusive Hebrew Scriptures, this is a version of scripture well-worth reading if only for the introductory material; along with Brian Wren's Praying Twice: The Music and Words of Congregational Song it provides excellent reasons why a male God and the use of "Lord language" for God make no sense to us in our time and context.

This is much more than a substituting of words that I personally find unacceptable for more palatable replacements. The committee comprising Priests for Equality (an ecumenical group of women and men, clergy and laity, academics and various others) went to the source material and faithfully wrote a version that is true to the original language while speaking to those of us living in the 21st Century. It brings the text to life, feeding me in both scholarly and a worshipful ways.

Although I own and use a number of translations, this is my own "go-to" bible, one that I recommend highly.
Profile Image for Abbie Watters.
166 reviews4 followers
September 24, 2013
I have several translations and paraphrases of the Bible, but I have never before found one that was dedicated to inclusive language like this.

I took it off of the "currently-reading" shelf, you NEVER finish reading the Bible.
Profile Image for Kelly.
34 reviews
July 30, 2020
[Edited 07/30/2020 for typos - KAJ]

Overall, I love this translation. It's easy to read and understand, true to the meaning of the scriptures (as compared to other translations to which I compared several passages), and true to PFE's goal.

I found quite a few typos that additional editing might have caught, but that was a minor annoyance. The Old Testament use of the tetragrammaton certainly takes care of the problematic "Lord," but when reading aloud, I'm not quite sure what to say. "Yahweh" is the most common pronunciation, but I've heard that isn't necessarily correct. I choose to use "the One who is" which corresponds well with the divine name as revealed to Moses, "I am who am."

The only thing that really bothers me is the use of the word "kindom of God" as a non-sexist alternative to "kingdom of God." "Kingdom" (in the relational/familial sense) implies a sovereign, someone "in charge"; "kindom" evokes in my mind something more like a commune. Perhaps "family of God" is a more accurate--and less contrived--alternative.
Profile Image for amin.
80 reviews
Shelved as 'agnostic-bible-reviews'
October 20, 2021
they put their ass into this translation tbh

9/10 for accuracy
i docked a point by virtue of me not speaking hebrew, thus not truly knowing how accurate it is. i cant speak on that. but they really stayed true to the hebrew, using gender neutral phrasing to refer to worshippers instead of men, using YHWH instead of the masculinisation of god.

they really tried to adapt this text into something applicable to people today, something that resonates with christians who arent men, making the people who feel alienated and hostile towards the misogynist language of the bibles of yesteryear feel seen and loved by their god, who should be other than human, and thus not male nor female, nor constrained by any gender whatsoever. gender is a human social construct.

?/10 for prose
this is not to be compared with the kjv. the bible may be a universal text for all christians but every version speaks to a different circle of believers. the kjv girlies are not looking for what the inclusive bible is giving and vice versa. the wording is very easy to understand and study. a solid bible
June 26, 2011
This is a very good Bible and I find it easy to read and understand well worth getting a copy
October 2, 2017
God's Word...Today

This translation reflects the context of ideals that are fundamental to our Christian faith without the burden of antiquated gender biases.
1 review
August 9, 2022
This would be considered a more politically correct version of the bible where male pronouns are rendered neutral where possible and any sign of the 'male patriarchy' has been suppressed. Not surprisingly it will certainly read differently than all other translations out there and I would even say that it is not a translation at all but an interpretation of the bible designed to cause the least offence to any person or type of person referenced therein. All in all, the political correctness of this publication would not be so scandalous were it not for the exclusion of the whole of chapter 18 of the book of Leviticus. There is no explanation as to why this has been removed and would lead one to question the real motive for printing a bible where large parts of it have been purposely left out stripping it of all authority and power. This publication should not be called the Bible but perhaps rather a postmodern perspective on it. Save your money and buy something authentic....
Profile Image for Jeanette Beland.
13 reviews4 followers
January 1, 2019
I was introduced to this translation of the Scriptures at a previous church. The translation is produced by Priests for Equality an organization of well known Biblical Scholars. Its attempts at providing clearer translation including gender neutral terminology, and overall soundness to original texts is impressive.

I have found it a valuable source for personal reading as well as sermon prep and overall theology work.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.