Start by marking “Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories

Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories

This is a handsome, limited edition collection of the best work by one of the finest short fiction writers in science fiction. There are 14 stories in all, ranging from straight SF to tales that stray into the fantasy and horror genres. Of special note is the title story, which earned the 1996 Hugo Award for Best Novelette, the 1995 Nebula Award nomination for Best Novelet ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Golden Gryphon Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories

Stephen
4.0 stars. I have not read all of the stories in this collection so my rating will only apply to the stories listed below (I will update my rating from time to time as a read more stories):

Think Like A Dinosaur - My first JPK short story. Great story about an alien form of instantaneous travel that causes a human technician to suffer a crisis of conscience. Winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novelette. Nominee for the Nebula Award for Best Novelette.
David (דוד)
Average of 3.5 stars

Contains 14 stories of mixed genres, of which two I could not really understand, hence lie unrated. Stories range from science-fiction and contemporary fantasy, to satire, horror, and comedy. Most of them are set in an SF scenario.
5-stars to The First Law of Thermodynamics, 4-stars to Think Like a Dinosaur; Faith; Rat; Monsters; and Mr. Boy, while 3-stars to the remaining five stories and 2 to one of 'em.

The writing was not easy to understand a few times, and became confusing
MB Taylor
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Reading Think Like a Dinosaur this afternoon. What an amazing collection of short stories! Given the title and the fact that Kelly won a Hugo award for the title story I was expected a collection of science fiction stories and I suppose most (though not all) of them are. Maybe I’ve been reading too much 50s and 60s SF recently, but these stories were nothing like what I expected. I’m not sure what I expected, but it certainly wasn’t this.

The title story (really a novelette) was very
John Muñoz
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lafferty. New Wave. James Tiptree Jr. A couple of things that immediately come to mind after reading, so far, six stories of this already excellent collection by acclaimed short story writer James Patrick Kelly.

I've seen and heard of this collection for several years now, recommended on sites like Goodreads and Reddit from time to time, as well as my local library. The cover being what it is - a goofy-looking dinosaur in a space suit - gives an accurate but fairly narrow impression of what I ha
Claudia Piña
Creo que eran solo historias de ciencia ficción, pero la selección es variada, lo que hace al libro mucho más entretenido.

Think like a dinosaur es particularmente memorable, pero honestamente siento que no todas las historias se adaptan a los tiempos. Si se siente un estilo y enfoque que ya no cuadra tanto con una audiencia del siglo XXI. Hombres en ácido no es un tema que me atrape en estos días.
Erin
Apr 02, 2019 marked it as dnf
While I don't think there's anything overtly wrong with the writing, I'm just not getting into it. Life is too short, yadda yadda yadda.

***Think Like a Dinosaur

***Heroics

***Pogrom

***Faith

***Big Guy

***Dancing with the Chairs
Matthew Gatheringwater
What does it take to lose your humanity? It is a common enough theme in fiction, but science fiction makes the question concrete. Are you human if you never age? What if you no longer have a body, or your body has been transformed into a living replica of the Statue of Liberty, or you have a body but most of your existence is mediated through virtual reality? What if you choose to look like a bright yellow dinosaur or give up decades of your life to become a cancer-ridden attenuated being with t ...more
Geoff
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first collection released by Golden Gryphon Press, back in 1997. It is mostly a collection of sci-fi stories, but it bounces around every genre, including one story that is just a weird tale about an acid trip by a group of friends in the 1960's. It's a very good mix of styles contained herein.

This wasn't a great collection, but it was very interesting, as I found myself reading through this collection rather effortlessly and quickly. The title story was memorable, as it tells how a
Jose
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Actually just read only "Think Like A Dinosaur" - short story, by James Patrick Kelly.

Great story about teleportation technology given to us by an alien form and
the consequences of that technology on the conscience of a human technician.

Wile
Jan 03, 2008 rated it liked it
An excellent book of short fiction from James Patrick Kelly, including the Hugo winning title story, Think Like a Dinosaur, which richly deserves the award.

James plays with genre bending a lot - a hallmark of the shift in fiction, and of this years 2008 Clarion instructors. It's a direction in fiction that shows great promise.
Andy
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, sf, short-stories
4.5 stars - Wonderful science fiction short stories. Kelly is a tremendous writer. If you haven't read him, you should.
Devin Poore
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The short story "Think Like a Dinosaur" completely flipped my mind around and turned it inside-out, in a good way. Several friends and I were just discussing it this past weekend.
ems
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, short-stories
well this one'll stick with me
Tim Hicks
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A very good collection of stories that are an easy read but also make you think both during and after.
Chelsi
Nov 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
A boring attempt to re-write the themes of the story The Cold Equation.
Mitch
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it
the title short story was especialy good
Scott Dailey
Good lunchtime read.
Science Fiction.
Craig
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
About 4 of the 15 stories first rate. 'Think like a Dinosaur' and 'Monsters' really held my attention.
Brice
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short stories ever... creates a very interesting moral question that is very difficult to answer for just about anyone.

bluetyson
Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories by James Patrick Kelly (2003)
Taylor Preston
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • The Persistence of Vision
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Heat Death of the Universe and Other Stories
  • The Book of Philip José Farmer
  • The Baum Plan for Financial Independence and Other Stories
  • Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women
James Patrick Kelly (please, call him Jim) has had an eclectic writing career. He has written novels, short stories, essays, reviews, poetry, plays and planetarium shows. His short novel Burn won the Science Fiction Writers of America's Nebula Award in 2007. He has won the World Science Fiction Society’s Hugo Award twice: in 1996, for his novelette “Think Like A Dinosaur” and in 2000, for his nove ...more