Start by marking “Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)” as Want to Read:
Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)

Forevermore

(Only in Gooding #2)

Another unforgettable heroine!
Published January 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Forevermore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forevermore

Start your review of Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy books with a Christian message
Shelves: gentle-reads
I picked up "Forevermore" and "Fancy Pants," both by Cathy Marie Hake, at the library and read "Fancy Pants" first. After finishing that one I wasn't sure if I wanted to try "Forevermore," but I'm glad that I did. "Forevermore" was a thousand times better than "Fancy Pants."

I found the character of Hope to be quite humorous and I really liked her. She reminded me of Amelia Bedelia, only Hope actually gets things accomplished, in more of a Mary Poppins kind of way. I can see how some readers woul
Amanda Tero
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hope really annoyed me the first chapter, but after about five chapters, I completely fell in love with her. She is a total country, illiterate character who speaks her mind and is a peace maker. My only qualm is that she was a little too perfect—but for some reason, it didn’t make me hate her at all.

I really appreciated the spiritual content in this one—from page one, where Hope basically prays, “Okay, God, You led me here.” It was steady throughout the entire book.

The storyline was interesting
J.
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely charming and uplifting. It reminds me of Amelia Bedelia for adults. The clever turns of phrase were thought provoking in a way that didn't feel forced or preachy. Greatly enjoyed this one.
SheLove2Read
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Part of the "only in Gooding" series. I loved the heroine Hope. She's illiterate and doesn't speak well but she's the kind of woman who you instantly take to and wish she was your friend. I loved this book!
Mary
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cathy Marie Hake’s novel Forevermore, title perfectly describes Hope Ladley, the hardworking itinerant farm-worker whose numerous former employers always wanted more of her forever, instead of as a temporary cook for the field workers during the harvest season. But, no, Hope felt led by the spirit and gladly moved on after the harvest to the next farm she believed needed her help. That is until she arrives at the farm of widower Jakob Stauffer.

Gruff, distant, and still mourning the death of his
Delia
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hope Ladley drifts about the Texas farmlands like a dandelion "wishie"--helping out wherever she's needed, then moving on to the next place God sends her. But when she and her mule, Hattie, stop at the Stauffer farm, Hope's life takes on a drastic change. This time her heart gets tangled up as hopelessly as does her tongue on the endless string of quips she constantly misquotes (with strangely accurate results).

Jakob Stauffer farms his land while sheltering an abused sister, raising an adorable
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10+ Christian Romance lovers
Recommended to yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde! by: My sister
I thought I had read all of Cathy Marie Hake's books, but then I found this one at the library and was excited that there was another one so I got it. I liked this one a lot. I like that all the books are woven together and you can read one of them and it has little bits of other characters lives. I thought this one was very well done and had a good story line.

One thing that I don't like about Hake's writing is that for like, the first 2/3 of the story the two main characters don't like each ot
Pathway
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought for sure I had read all of Hake's books, but when riffling through my bookshelf I stumbled upon Forevermore and was pleasantly surprised. I love Hake's writing and was getting antsy for her next release, so finding one I hadn't read was a treat. As all of Hake's books I give it a 10 out of 10. She does a great job of tying in a little suspense to her historical romance books, that keep you turning the pages even faster. I read this book in 2 sittings, and although could predict how th ...more
Monkeyface
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Listened to Forevermore by Cathy Marie Hake. I fell in love with Hope Ladley she is a woman after Gods own heart. The story is about her Like a dandelion in the wind, Hope Ladley blows from one farm to the next, helping cook for the field hands during the harvest. Illiterate and often twisting cliches and Bible verses into mind-boggling observations, Hope leaves widower Jakob Stauffer baffled by her unconventional ways. But her sunny disposition and unstinting love make changes of a different ki ...more
Bobby
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
This novel has potential. Like the novels of Nicolas Sparks, this would be a better movie than book. My biggest complaint was the author's difficulty in allowing her story to "unfold." Indeed, she was often redundant, almost seeming to want to assure the reader did not miss a single point she intended. Also, her use of dialogue to build her characters detracted rather than added to the story and at times, created inconsistent cartoons, rather than the charming people intended. I liked the positi ...more
Sophie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian Historical Fiction
This is the first of Cathy Marie Hake's books I read. It made me a true fan of her writing. Hope who goes where God sends her to those in need is unable to read due most likely due to dyslexia, is a loving giving young woman. Talented in housekeeping skills she arrives at Jakob's house looking for work. Her goal is to stay as long as she is needed.

Jakob, a Texas farmer and widow, has his doubts about Hope, but his abused pregnant sister needs help and his toddler daughter needs more attention t
Carrie Daws
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness! I've never read a Cathy Marie Hake book I didn't like. I've always giggled through them, loving the characters and the predicaments so very much. I love the town of Gooding and all the fun people who live there--but Hope has stolen my heart! She is now my hands-down favorite character EVER. From her messed-up sayings to her sweet heart that somehow soothes over the worst situations, she is a woman that I would love to know. When I have a fiction book on my Kindle, I rarely make ...more
Sarah Gai
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has officially become my all time favorite book. I did not want this to ever end. The characters worked so well together and well..... Hope is amazing. The cliches were my favourite part and I found myself laughing a lot. The book left me feeling really good and looking at life the best possible way.
Thankyou so much cathy
Willowy Whisper
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent!!! The characters were so dear---and quick to fall in love with. The novel was very well written, and by the time I neared the end of the book, I couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen next!!!
Melissa
This was a sweet Christian fiction. It had great characters and a good setting. The bad guy was taken care of too easily tho and I just could not get over the main character Hopes accent. Oh well.
Ellen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book even more than the first. Although I don't think this book requires the first book to enjoy it, readers of book #1 will appreciate several repeat characters popping in here. What really charmed me about this book and persuaded me to recommend it even before I finished it, is the character of Hope. She is such a charming gal who's propensity for mangling popular sayings reminded me of a grown-up Amelia Bedelia. I dearly would like to know from the author if her character was bas ...more
Katrina Roets
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

Last night I decided to go back and see what the oldest book on my Kindle was that I hadn't read. It turns out that it was Forevermore by Cathy Marie Hake. It looked interesting so I settle in....and read until 4 am. Oops!

The Good:
I adored the characters in this book. Hope and her mixed up cliches but tender heart drew me in and I found a new favorite heroine to add to my list. Each of the characters felt as if they were people that I had come to know and love before I clicked close on the file
Amy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hope’s quirky sayings had me hooked at the start! I didn’t read the first book in the series yet because I didn’t realize I was starting in the middle. But it sounds like these can be standalone books. I seriously enjoyed reading this book and getting to know the characters. It took just a little bit too long for the Hope and Jacob to admit that they love each other but of course that’s pretty standard in these books. I love the quotes from the Bible that they include throughout the story line a ...more
Nancy DeValve
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was clean and slightly more serious than fluffy. Set in the late 1800s in Texas, it takes a cursory look at grief, domestic abuse, a handicapped child, and the power of love. The characters are well developed and the plot was a little different than the usual.
Sometimes the author introduced a scene to build suspense and then kind of forgot to follow through. Like at one point they look out the window and think the bad guy is coming but it's somebody else, but then he nev
Rebecca
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Skimmed most of it because I had a hard time liking the protagonist. She seemed too folksy and gimmicky for me. I'm sure others would see charm in that and how she constantly mixed up proverbs and sayings, but it felt like too much. If she were a real person, I don't know if I'd enjoy being in her company for extended periods of time.
And like the first book in the series, the POV from the antagonist (a previous love interest in both cases) seemed disjointed from the main flow of the book.
Yeah.
Amy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent historical novel. A little darker than many, including themes of domestic abuse, physical limitations, and learning challenges among others. The second book in a series, it stands well on its own. I enjoyed the main characters, especially Hope's mixed-up metaphors. I would have liked to read more about the burgeoning romance between Jakob and Hope (view spoiler). ...more
Kim
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Also entertains, as the first book in the Gooding series did. These books do not have to be read in order but characters from the first story are mentioned and a warm, cozy feeling is elicited if you have already read their story. Hope reminds me of Amelia Bedilia! I can’t go higher than 3 stars for two reasons: it was a little long and drawn out for this type of book, and I was not too fond of Hope’s dialect, even though her misinterpreted sayings were very funny.
Catherine
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So after reading Fancy Pants, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this. But I did.

Enter Hope mangling cliches and setting a bad situation to rights, just like Mary Poppins. Or Anne of Green Gables - a bit, in that she talks a lot. Or Pollyana, seeking all the glad things.

So I admit I enjoy reading books about happy people as it helps me to walk on the sunny side of the street.

I was truly sad when it was over.
Faith
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The faith of Hope was so great that she can put me to shame.

She may be illiterate in an educational way but she is wise beyond measure. I adored her witticisms and how everyone was always ready to correct her until she defined why hers made more sense.

I did not much like Jakob’s brother-in-law or the way he treated Annie but then I do not have much respect for bullies.

I have read this more than three times and each time I find something new to enrich me.
BookNerd
I agree with some of the other reviews that relate Hope to Amelia Bedelia and Mary Poppins. I found Hope to be a breathe of fresh air and loved how the bond grew between Hope and Jakob. I did find it to be a little bit of a heavy read at times with all of struggles the characters were facing, but loved how they leaned on God.
Kelly
Mar 26, 2018 added it
I have to say that this is my very favorite book of the other 3 books I’ve read in this series. I love Hope, and wish I could be more like her. God will use anyone who is willing, even though they might be the most unlikely people.
Barry
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have ever read!

Hope gets all her sayings.mixed up but somehow they make sense. A wonderful book of Christian love and caring. I just love this book and will re-read it many times.
Cassidy Shaw
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hope is my favorite. She does things her own way, unapologetically, and she’s sweet and kind while she does it. An old favorite, I’ve reread this book a handful of times and am planning to do so again soon.
Hannah
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story! Hope was just endearing every time she mixed up sayings. I also loved meeting Jakob, Emmy Lou, Annie, and Phineas. This book made me laugh, cry, and smile. It is absolutely awesome!
Crystal Zacharias
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice easy read! I enjoyed how relaxing this book was. I find some of the ideas from the era it is said to be written in a bit too modern, but I quite enjoyed the story line.
And Hope's mixed up quotes were quite unique yet so fitting even though her words were wrong.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Head in the Clouds
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • To Win Her Heart
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • Gentleman of Her Dreams (Ladies of Distinction, #0.5)
  • A Change of Fortune (Ladies of Distinction, #1)
  • The Measure of a Lady
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • City Girl (Yellow Rose, #3)
  • A Tailor-Made Bride
  • A Bride Most Begrudging
  • Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas, #1)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • After a Fashion (A Class of Their Own, #1)
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • Maid to Match
As a child, Cathy Marie Hake had an imaginary playmate. Now "grown up," she indulges in a host of imaginary friends as she writes. She teasingly says she decided if those voices in her head were talking, she might as well write down what they said and make a living by doing it. She met her sweetheart in the High School department at church and married him after finishing nursing school. They live ...more

Only in Gooding (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • That Certain Spark (Only in Gooding, #4)
  • Serendipity (Only in Gooding, #5)