Start by marking “Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes: A Regency and Steampunk Field Guide” as Want to Read:
Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes: A Regency and Steampunk Field Guide

Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes: A Regency and Steampunk Field Guide

Get ready to step into the back alleys of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens's London, and explore the alternative worlds of steampunk in this new guide book by fantasy author Krista D. Ball. Ball takes readers on a fascinating journey into the world of the Have-Nots, and explores the bustling, crime-ridden London during the Georgian and Victorian eras. Discover the world of ...more
Published April 24th 2014 by Tyche Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes

Start your review of Hustlers, Harlots, and Heroes: A Regency and Steampunk Field Guide
Amanda
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this quick overview of how people lived in the Regency and Victorian periods. It was very helpful to get a general sense of what was possible and probable 200+ years ago. This did spoil some classic books, which was a bummer. While it was fun to see those references, the writing style was fun enough without it. I also loved how this debunked common myths about those eras and definitely helped burst my daydreams of living back then - in a good way!
Pat Flewwelling
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some super minor textual and formatting errors, but the work is far too interesting to worry about such details. Highly, highly recommended for authors, readers, and history buffs.
Lana
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really written as a guide to writers, but if you have any interest in the Regency and Victorian eras, you'll probably enjoy this.
Lisa
A great starting point for anyone who wants to write about the Regency and Victorian era. As someone who loves steampunk, I'd recommend this to anyone interested in the eras, not just writers. There is a lot of information about all walks for life in the eras, and reference material for anyone looking to delve further.
I highly recommend this books, as well as her other book about the Medieval era, What Kings Ate and Wizards Drank.
Melanie
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched. Another goodie for the reference shelf in my personal library of Victoriana books.
Bea
I don't tend to read much non-fiction unless it's work-related. But Ball is one of my favorite fiction authors, I read and enjoyed the first book in this series, and she'd been sharing teasers from this book on Twitter and facebook, so I knew I wanted to read this. I wish she'd been my history teacher in high school or college. She has a relaxed, sometimes snarky, style that doesn't forgo thoroughness or accuracy. She's done her research and it shows but she's never dull or dry. The book is inte ...more
- ̗̀ saku ̖́-
This is an excellent, and excellently researched, nonfiction book specifically for writers of fiction set in Georgian and Victorian London, or variations thereof, such as steampunk. It mostly concerns people rarely thought about.
It’s written in an amusing, casual style that’s easy to read. Occasionally, the text proper is interspersed with short biographies of noteworthy people not frequently talked about, historical cooking recipes, and so forth. It’s very concise and rich in information. Occas
Christopher Hoare
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Krista has done it again, this book is full of information and knowledge that does not appear in the mainstream, and she has put it all together in a light hearted fun way. Tackling the minefield of 'how much is that in my money' she comes up with numbers that ring true. (Well, a Canadian has a head start from watching the Canadian dollar perform headstands whenever Wall Street hiccups.)I generally do my own equivalences but the value of the Pound in my Regency character's pocket might vary by 5 ...more
Kenneth
If you enjoy novels set in the Regency, Georgian and Victorian periods, you will enjoy this book. All of us who wondered a "double first", tutor, cornish pastie and etc will enjoy this short book.
Janelle F. Covey
Amusing and enlightening

Very enjoyable read. Full of information with a light hearted tone. It would ,of course,be very useful to writers of historical fiction but readers who never plans to set pen to paper will enjoy it as well. I enjoyed the author's wit particularly.
Steven
Great resource for steampunk or historical fictioneers but not as engaging a read for me as her fantasy reference (but that's probably because I write more fantasy than this era).
Elisabeth S. Gilliland
May 07, 2017
Pryotra
Jan 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Feast of the Mother (Witch of the Lake, #1)
  • Squire Derel (Knight Protector, #1)
  • Crown of the Sundered Empire
  • By Sea & Sky: An Esowon Story (The Sky Pirate Chronicles #1)
  • Wynter's Edge
  • Where Shadows Lie (The Last Gift, #1)
  • The Witch's Key
  • Advanced Healing Spells (Ember Academy for Young Witches, #3)
  • Prosperity for Writers: A Writer's Guide to Creating Abundance
  • Vampire Breath (Goosebumps, #49)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Haunting of Louisiana
  • Emails from an Asshole: Real People Being Stupid
  • Green Angel (Green Angel, #1)
  • The Empty Schoolhouse
  • Vegan, Virgin, Valentine (V Valentine, #1)
  • The Vagina Monologues