Start by marking “Vanquish (Triumph #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanquish (Triumph #1)

Vanquish

(Triumph #1)

Jared Roman has lived his entire life feeling unworthy, unwanted and unloved. He’s lived a life of abuse, addiction and abandonment.

Zhoe Dawson comes from a different world than him. She comes from money and social status. But with that comes the dictatorship her father runs. All Zhoe’s ever wanted is to break free of his rules, and to feel loved.

When they lea
ebook
Published July 2014

To ask other readers questions about Vanquish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanquish

Hearts on Sleeves Book Blog
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vanquish (Triumph #1) by S.J. McGran S.J. McGran
Vanquish by S.J. McGran
SYNOPSIS

Jared knows he’s no good for Zhoe. She deserves so much better than anything he’ll ever amount to. But, after just one tasteMcGran
Rob
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

Emotionally, it was quite heavy. I felt the turmoil Jared felt about his feelings towards Zhoe and whether he should tell her his secret. You know when you read a book and you really like the characters and you can see their relationship grow from a tiny seed to an almighty oak, but you know it's all going to come crashing down if one little thing is revealed....well that's this book.

I didn't want Jared to tell Zhoe, but that wouldn't be a story would it l
Angel, Book Boyfriend Blog
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
**I received this book as an ARC, in exchange for an honest review**

GREAT debut novel, loved the characters, Great start to a series I look forward to reading. This is Zhoe and Jared's story, you will fall for Jared and feel his pain as he has a secret and it effects Zhoe. I could not put this book down, its very easy to follow and has everything you look for in a book. Can't wait for the next book.....maybe it will be Jared's best friend Rico and Zhoe's best friend Ang......who I L
Now I Read Book Blog
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This is the first book in the " Triumph " series from author S.J. McGran . Warning this book is Highly addicting because once you start reading it you wont be able to out it down .

Be for I sat down to start to rad this book I knew it was going to be good. But this book was even better than what I thought it was going to be . As soon as I started reading this book I was hooked and I could not put this book down for the live of me. This book was full of a lot of emotional roller coaster of emotio
Romance Readers Retreat
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's clear right from the off that despite having never met, Zhoe and Jared are tethered to one another.
Zhoe is getting over something traumatic. Despite coming from money, her sorrow continues to pull her down and has ripped her family apart....as the saying goes, money can't buy happiness!
Jared has always thought of himself as worthless and damaged. Starting with a lonely childhood, with all the wrong examples set for a young child, he found himself travelling the wrong path in his
Renee
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I feel blessed to have found another fabulously written debut novel. This was just freakin great! I loved the characters so much but the writing was better. There were a few great treats like Zhoe and Jared the main characters. Zhoe is a grounded, smart and loving girl who goes to school and volunteers. What more could you want from a well off girl? OH the fact that she is well off but doesnt act like it. She drinks dark beer and eats famous "Lonestar burgers" I found her easy and relate able.

A
Dawn Smith
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a debut read from the immensely talented SJ McGran that totally blew me away. The plot is intricate, perfectly timed and well layed out. Vanquish is a story that will draw you in and not let you go until the very last page is turned.

Jared and Zhoe are direct opposites (or so it seems). Jared has lived an unimaginable horrific life full of pain and abuse. All that he is looking for is someone to love him. But Jared is hiding a major secret that will directly impact Zhoe’s life
Kristin
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut novel from this author. It was well written and easily flowed especially when changes POV'S.
This story is about love, romance and loss.

In the beginning, we learn about the two main characters Zhoe and Jared and how opposite their worlds are and that they have one person that connects them. At first they have no idea that they have a personal connection but they definitely have instant chemistry the first night they meet.

I don't want to spoil to much but one of them
Tara Bryant
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**read as an ARC for www.barenakedwords.co.uk**

Oh. My. Heart!! I'm so totally in love with this book! S.J. McGran wrote is book with so much emotion and love, I'm still reeling!! The characters are so relatable, and the issues throughout this book are so real, it's hard not to get sucked into this story!!

"I stare at her like a fool for a few seconds too long; I know this because she catches me. She looks up and makes direct eye contact with me. As soon as she does my breath is knocked right out
Jennifer Sons
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an arc for an honest review. This was a good book! It's up & down with your emotions, toying with your heart & mind!

It starts out pretty emotional! Cole, Zhoe's brother died 5 years prior! It's affected her & her family! She came from a rich family who now just tries to control her! Zhoe's goals, however, are nothing like her dads!

Jared has a connection to Zhoe through Cole but only him & his friend, Rico know about it! He blames himself! He had a horrible childhood
Megan
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This was a great story about love, loss, and guilt. The characters were wonderful and I really enjoyed not only the main characters, but also their friends. I was instantly drawn into the story from the first page and couldn’t put it down. I think I read the whole thing in just a few hours.

Zhoe and Jared develop a great relationship. It’s one of those where they help each other to become better versions of themselves. Jared has had a hard upbringing and deals with a lot of guilt. He’
Red Cheeks Reads
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW...I really liked this book!!! It was soo good! This book was about Jared and Zhoe's story.
This book had a lot of hot scenes in it, this couple was a lot of fun to read about. They had some fun banter going on all the time and I loved the nick names they had for each other. Zhoe liked calling him Sexy-Scary in the beginning because she really didn't know what to think about him and if he would be the right person for her. She later starts calling him Stud which I found really funny at t
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
I can’t go any less than 4 hearts for Vanquish. This had a good mix, well written and pretty much ticked all the boxes for a nice piece of escapism.

S.J. Mcgran writes with a nice easy prose. Her characters are very likable bad bits and all and it’s very easy to visualise the whole story.

Truthfully this is nothing that hasn’t been done before, but when it’s produced in such a pleasant way like this is, it’s very easy to fall into, get lost with and lose yourself to Jared a
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved reading Vanquish. It starts off heavy and you just know it's going to be an emotional read. It starts off with Zhoe visiting her brother Cole's grave. Jared goes to visit Cole too but at the time Zhoe doesn't see him. Zhoe meets Jared latter at a club. Jared slowly puts together who Zhoe is.

Zhoe and Jared are good together. Jared keeps to himself that he knew Cole.

Jared feels guilty and responsible for Cole's death. We don't find out why he feels that way into very far into
Beth Jones
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Vanquish is SJ McGran's debut novel is full of emotions and a big secret. The struggle Jared has is felt throughout the whole book. SJ did a fantastic job to detail the feelings of the characters in such a way you too felt. It is a great read.

Jared & Zhoe has a connection to each other neither has had before. Jared has a troubled past he is a better man but still damaged too damaged for Zhoe but he is selfish and keeps her as long as he can have her. Zhoe has everything she wants
Vivienne Kauffer
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictional-arcs
Reviewed on behalf of Fictional Mens Page...

READ AND REVIEWED ON BEHALF OF FICTIONAL MENS PAGE FOR BOOK HOS

Amber
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The stunningly pure beauty of this story shines like a beacon to those lost in the darkness and despair of their own soul. It will reach deep into the farthest recesses of your heart and bring with it the warmth and light of its hope and love in order to begin a slow but powerful transformation. What you see happen before your eyes is nothing less than awe-inspiring. Love when allowed is able to systematically and confidently conquer the life-numbing guilt and/or the all-consuming unworthiness t ...more
Letty  (Cover to Cover Book Blog Reviewer)
Zhoe and Jared have both lived a life full of pain and sadness. Although their circumstances have been different, they both had absentee parents and neglect was a major factor in their upbringing.

When they meet, the instant attraction between them is too strong and neither can deny it. Being together is just what they each need and their feelings for each other grow quickly.

Zhoe is very strong, although she doesn’t believe it. She is smart and comes from money, but remain
Kim
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vanquish is not your normal wrong side of the tracks meets pampered diva love story. Jared and Zhoe are from different worlds but their desires are much the same. And their heat for each other is intense!

Vanquish is just as much Jared’s story as it is Zhoe’s. Jared first sees Zhoe in the cemetery, and he later meets her in a bar. Zhoe and Jared can’t stop eyeing each other from across the bar. Angelica, Zhoe’s best friend has been with her forever and seen her through her losses in l
Jessica Call
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply Amazing!

Wow! This book was off the charts! I couldn't stop reading every page was amazing! The sex was rock your world HOT and Jared was every girls dream hottie! Zhoe never felt heat so hot until Jared. Everyone has a past. Zhoe is falling hard and Jared is harboring a secret that could very well cost him everything. This book was beautifully written and very deep (in more ways than one) and best of all?! Author S.J. McGran brings realness to her story. Not everyone comes with everythin
Claire Ingram
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it loved it loved it
There is so many good points to this book primarily the hot sexy Jared. I need to find me one of those.
The book was a bit mushy at points but it's to be expected for a romance I am thrilled that the cliches have been avoided and the author has allowed the characters feelings to develop naturally.
The story is realistic and relatable with likeable characters
The writing style is fantastic giving great description allowing you to feel exactly what the characte
Clista
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story has heartbreak all around. Zhoe Dawson misses her murdered brother. Her parents are distant yet controlling. She has a best friend, Angelica, who provides lots of comic relief. Jared Roman has a horrid past. Neglect, abuse, drugs, regrets. He doesn't intend to open his heart for anyone. He is all hot-alpha man. The chemistry is off the charts between Zhoe and Jared. Secrets and pasts build the angst in their story.
Plenty of emotions, sexiness, and enjoyment.

There are
Lewlin
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The emotions pour off the page in this rollercoaster of a ride book.

S J McGran has written some great characters and has made changing POV's seemless.

For a debut novel, I would have to say this author is one to watch as for me, it was a 5* read and I look forward to reading more from her.
Jodi
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT.... I read it during my son's baseball game, stayed up late, got up early, read at stop lights and during my lunch just so I could finish it because it was so good I couldn't put it down! Can't wait to read her next book!!!!!
Gillian Cassia PA
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored Vanqish. Jared is the ultimate book boyfriend. I loved how the story developed into such a phenomenal love story
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Obviously. ;)
Tricia Bartley
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My review will be on Red Cheeks Reads :)
S.J. McGran
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Heidi
Feb 03, 2016
Toni Thompson
Jan 18, 2015
Born November 22, 1987, S.J. McGran is a new author with a penchant for writing, reading and reviewing romance novels.

She lives in Toledo, Ohio with her husband, cat and lots of siblings. She is a die hard Detroit Tigers fan, and has a love for ice cream and pizza.

S.J. is the author of the Triumph Series.

Triumph (3 books)