Start by marking “Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)” as Want to Read:
Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)

Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain #4)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  489 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
There is trouble in 13th century China. A wind blows from the west and has a name--Jenghiz Khan. Pledged to help a beautiful woman warrior, St. Germain has a terrible secret--he has the power to bestow death or eternal life as a vampire.
Published July 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Path of the Eclipse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Path of the Eclipse

This installment of the Saint-Germain chronicles didn’t quite hit the spot for me—it seemed to cover a lot of ground (literally), a lot of tragedy, and did it all without much point. It wouldn’t have taken much to push it into 4 star territory, just a bit more focus. As it stands, this book felt to me very much like two excuses to push Saint-Germain into a Chinese and an Indian woman’s beds, and little else.

I can certainly see why female readers find Saint-Germain a sympathetic character—age doe
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars. This teeters on the edge of being a really good book, but then I'm a sucker for a lonely, brooding, good-guy vampire. It has elements of romance and the supernatural, but mostly it's historical fiction. Saint-Germain's supernatural characteristics are very low-key.

This is the second of these books I've read; one of the earlier ones. There are more than two dozen of them, set in various places and times throughout history. Saint-Germain is ancient (more than 3000 years old in this book
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really could not get into this one, which is too bad because I was really looking forward to exploring China and (what is now) India. However, time seemed very compressed (Saint Germain mentions being somewhere for six months....I seriously thought it had been about six days), and because of that, the relationships he builds with the various characters seemed forced and shallow. Not to mention there was simply too much going on in the book, and I very quickly drifted into "I really don't care" ...more
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series is about St. Germain, who is a vampire who has lived for centuries, and witnessed many historic events. In this, the 4th book in the series, he falls in love with a warrior princess in 12th Century China, flees heartbreak and Ghengis Khan's Mongol hordes, befriends a child god in the mountain kingdom of Tu Bo Te, and may finally lose his life at the hands of a bloodthirsty Maharani who is a devotee of the goddess of Kali, the goddess of both fertility and destruction.

I loved this boo
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 Saint Germain - Vampire/Historical Fiction

Much more historical fiction than vampire story, this book covers the 13th centure time period in Saint Germain very very long life. From China, he must flee Genghis Khan.

I do enjoy the meticulous historical details, but this was such a bloody period in the world's history -- wars between religions, border wars ... it was a bit much.

I skipped #3 Blood games (set in early Roman times) because the book sounded to violent. Will continue reading this very
The Count’s Asian adventure as it where. If you enjoyed Better in the Dark, you will most likely enjoy this chronicle of the Count’s life for the character of T’en is very much like Rangaude. The book finds the Count traveling though the Far East and even into India where we are introduced to Padremi, a slight variation of the Count’s normal women, being older than the average. It is here also that the reader sees the Count drawn to the outsiders, those at the margins of society.
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, historical
The forth novel about the vampire Count De Saint-Germain an his servant Rogerio. In this one he travels through thirteenth-century China, where he battles Genghis Khan and the Mongol hordes. Then through Tibet where he stays a while in a lamasery. [return][return]The vampire stuff isn't really horrific, but the historically accurate battle stuff is.
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good detail and description of China in the 13th century during the invasion of Ghengis Khan's Mongols. The main character, a European civilized vampire, is both odd and interesting. In my opinion, the book's main flaw is that the story could be better structured.
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Begins in China at the time of the Mongol invasions, continues through Tibet and into India. One of the best.
Sara Giacalone
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I love these books. Well-researched history plus a supernatural element... count me in!
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The cover artist has clearly never read this book.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good read!!!
Mickey Schulz
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Set in Medieaval China and India, and gives a bit of insight into Saint-Germain's history
Jan 01, 2010
Jan 10, 2009
Jun 07, 2015
Apr 20, 2012
Nov 17, 2012
  • Death and the Maiden (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #2)
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • Vampire Junction
  • Daughter of the Night (Austra Family, #4)
  • Alamut (Alamut, #1)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • The Haunted Monastery and the Chinese Maze Murders
A professional writer for more than forty years, Yarbro has sold over eighty books, more than seventy works of short fiction, and more than three dozen essays, introductions, and reviews. She also composes serious music. Her first professional writing - in 1961-1962 - was as a playwright for a now long-defunct children's theater company. By the mid-60s she had switched to writing stories and hasn' ...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...

Saint-Germain (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
  • Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)
  • Tempting Fate (Saint-Germain, #5)
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • Darker Jewels (Saint-Germain, #7)
  • Better in the Dark (Saint-Germain, #8)
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • Writ in Blood (Saint-Germain, #10)
  • Blood Roses (Saint-Germain, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
  • Timequake