Start by marking “Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

(Le Morte d'Arthur Volumes #2)

An immortal story of love, adventure, chivalry, treachery and death. Edited and first published by William Caxton in 1485, Le Morte D'Arthur is Sir Thomas Malory's unique and splendid version of the Arthurian legend. Mordred's treason, the knightly exploits of Tristan, Lancelot's fatally divided loyalties and his love for Guenever, the quest for the Holy Grail; all the ele ...more
Published January 30th 1970 by Penguin Classics (first published 1485)

To ask other readers questions about Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

Scott
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myth-legend
I'm reminded of the self-referential quote from William Goldman's masterpiece The Princess Bride:

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman may as well have been writing about Le Morte d'Arthur, which includes pretty much everything on this list.

I'm glad Pe
Marie
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
What can I say about Le Morte d'Arthur that I didn't say in my review of part 1?

I had to sort of force my way through it, as an essential part of my Arthurian reading. Still, I find that it wasn't worthwhile, really. I had thought it would give me insight into modern Arthurian stuff, which seemed to have little to nothing to do with most of the lays I had read. Someone said that most things are based on Le Morte, so I thought I'd check it out.

I think most things are based on things based on Le M
Jesse
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I found, when I started reading it, that this volume was more difficult than the first. I awarded it to the fact that the first third of the book is a continuation of a the story about Tristram. I didn't really know much about this knight before reading "Le Morte", but I still don't find his story all that intriguing. I feel like it was, perhaps, just another rendition of the love triangle between Lancealot, Artur and Gwen. Only this time we have zero qualms about rooting for the adulterer.

Once
Robert
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I lived in an apartment building in 1989 that had a book swap on every floor. I was traveled each floor mining for literary gold-- and found it with this book. I love this book, it goes into detail on King Arthur and the knights of his court. It tells the major and minor story lines. I go back to it often.
russell barnes
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the way that Arthur ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

Two volumes, almost 700 pages of relentless jousts, avoiding horses, mighty buffets (that's knights groaning under sword strokes rather than tables groaning under the weight of scotch eggs and pork pies), ladies dying for love, dwarves, more tournaments, spears breaking, the quest for the Holy Grail, page upon page of listing Knight's names, further tournaments and knightly adventures featuring jousts, Arthur and Mordred meet in pos
Stephen
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A few short words cannot express how much this book meant to me and how much the teacher who I had to read it for meant. This book holds the secrets of the universe, of our society, of our pursuit of lonliness and comradery at the same time. If you want to find the cyclic nature of our society check here, if you want to find your character flaws, check here. If you want to see the world in a whole new way, read...esp this one. Thank you Professor Lynch...RIP!
Edward

Glossary of Proper Nouns
Glossary
Miriam Cihodariu
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part two of Malory's collected tales is even better than the first. By the time a reader reaches part two, they presumably had enough time to become more accustomed to the language.

Also, the second part is more story-full and lots of things tend to happen, or at least many of the 'big' things we all know from popular culture (the Guinevere-Lancelot plot, the Mordred plot, the betrayal of Arthur and his death, etc.)

Loved the Maledisant character as a more atypical female char (not evil sorceress
James Badger
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur is one of the most important Arthurian works ever published. This is not to say, however, that it is a fun read. By the time you finish volume 1, you begin to sense a very formulaic approach. This is less of a narrative and more of a catalog of Arthurian tales. Very often Malory is guilty of skipping the fun bits of the story (the phrase, "and he did many glorious deeds of arms" comes to mind) while presenting some of the less interesting bits in excruciating detail.

Wh
Greg Kerestan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After something of a slog through Volume I, this is where things get good. All the stories of any importance are here, from Lancelot falling for Guinevere hardcore, to his one-sided and doomed romance with Elaine, and most of all the surreal Grail sequence, in which the best knights are sent into a metaphysical "spiritual wasteland" where their own sins become their surroundings and enemies. Ending with a "Six Feet Under" style montage of character deaths and a dreamlike description of Arthur's ...more
Ernest B. Gilman
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christine Raya
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
roughly the first third of this volume is the conclusion of the tristram/beale isoud story, which gets pretty tedious with the tournament scenes involving various combinations of our heroes getting knocked off their horses. it picks up a bit with the quest for the grail, featuring a lot of weirdness, and the final act with launcelot betraying arthur is probably the best. the funniest scene is probably launcelot getting shot in the ass by an arrow by accident
Tracy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very handy and well done edition of the classic Arthurian legends. This book is not for the feint at heart as it is written in old english, but once you get through that roadblock there is a power to the tales that starts to shine through.
Matt
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked vol 1 better. Vol 2 has more of the well-known stories... the grail, the Lancelot love triangle, and Le Morte D'Arthur. But the moral point is layed on thick in the second vol, and it distracts from the story too much for my liking.
J. Franklin
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book took forever, but I'm finally done! It was interesting learning about King Arthur. They had waaaaay too many jousting tournaments. The Holy Grail quest is kinda boring, to be honest.
William Sharpe
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End of an epic. The end justifies the means.
Karla Labanda Ortiz
This book was hard to understand and long. It is a classic, that is true, but I cannot say that I enjoyed it very much.

But, it was interesting to read about King Arthur and his knights.
Nathan Martin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can find a better Arthurian book to read. But I gave it four stars because it did eventually stop repeating itself and come to a decently nice conclusion.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
This is the second volume of Le Morte d'Arthur and shouldn't be seen as the second book of a trilogy, just a continuation, and not meant to be read alone. I agree with the reviewer who said this is not for the faint of heart, and few general readers are going to find this a great read. If you're looking for an absorbing, entertaining read with characters you can relate to and root for, you're absolutely, positively in the wrong place. Read instead Arthurian novels such as T.H. White's The Once a ...more
John Keats
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as Volume 1. The Quest for the Grail takes up a little more space than I'd like, although it's necessary to reduce Launcelot--relative to his son, Galahad--or at least to define him better as a hero of this world. Redefining is what's going on here, in this second volume. Camelot was established as the best union on earth--but everything in the world, even everything that fights against the Waste Land, is flawed, sinful, lustful, hungry. To me, that's what makes Malory so rich: the ...more
Janelle
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian, own
I first read volume one a few years back. I love fantasy and old books so I thought that I would enjoy it. I didn’t. Random knights seemed to spend all of their time seeking “worship” based on an incomprehensible set of values, women were treated horribly and most just went along with it, Merlin seems to cause death and destruction wherever he prophesied, and we really got to know any of the characters. I rated it three stars and moved on with my life.

Recently I read the The Idylls of the Queen
Brian
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
9/14/09 - 5/10
After reading some about King Arthur in the Fionavar Tapestry series, I decided to explore more. Malory's version of the Arthurian legends and the matter of Britain are one of the earliest English compilations. The books are interesting as history of the Arthurian legends, but the languange is rather stilted and the story is a bit repetitive and not too interesting. It's not a tough read, but becomes a bit boring as it devolves into a knight did this and then smote this and then di
Ke
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admire Malory for completing this tome, but again, I don't think I'm his ideal reader. To be honest, all that smotting bored me, but maybe some readers like the action-packed tales.

I wasn't sure of the tone of the story, because I thought that the sentence

"Wherefore Sir Mordred made a parliament, and called the lords together, and there he made them to choose him king; and so was he crowned at Canterbury, and held a feast there fifteen days; and afterward he drew him unto Winchester, and there
Nate
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kadri
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume features the quest for the Holy Grail and the death of pretty much everyone (not all related to the former). It's interesting. The characters obviously have their flaws and quirks, and women are there only to be saved and fought for. But everyone faints and everybody cries.

Some parts went slower than others (the jousting tournaments - oh, when is the sports part going to end?, and the lists of "who was also there".
Marty
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read both the first and second volumes in a free Kindle edition. There weren't links to the glossary, but still able to understand most of it. Now wish I had bought an annotated edition. May do that and reread but then again...I have spent a very long time on this already. The books become closer to a modern idea of a story as you move through the 21 books. Thank goodness.
Brian
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this Arthur series. It could get a bit repetitive at times, but it was really fun to read the classic Arthurian stories. I was surprised that Disney's Sword in the Stone was as close to this version of the story as it was and that Sir Lancelot could be such a jerk :-) it was a fun read overall.
Clare Farrelly
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
It was interesting to listen to the original story of Arthur. And the ending is so sad! I also found all the old English words interesting, or at least the uses of the words anyway, they were used in a context in which the meaning of those words now days would not make sense. But from the context where they were repeatedly used you can work out what they meant then.
Martin
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline Hjorth
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting but with a very repetitive language. Needs to be written out loud in order to appreciate fully. I can definitely recommend downloading the audiobook on Librivox or something like it to get the rhythm of the language incorporated in your experience of the book.

• The Quest of the Holy Grail
  • Piers Plowman
  • The Romance of the Rose
  • The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
  • Two Lives of Charlemagne
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.

Le Morte d'Arthur Volumes (4 books)
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I