Start by marking “King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table” as Want to Read:
King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table

King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A ruler said to be the model of goodness over evil and a formidable comrade in the ever-present struggle between right and wrong, the figure of King Arthur of England prevails at the heart of the Arthurian legends. The myths surrounding his reign have been recounted in endless tales. This collection includes thirteen of the best-loved legends of the man and his Knights of ...more
Published August 6th 2002 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about King Arthur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Arthur

La Mala ✌
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthuriana
3.5

A pesar de la prosa simple (es un libro para wachines mi edición) y de la esperada glorificación exagerada a los santos de la espada, Arturo es LA leyenda, y los caballeros de la mesa redonda son sus dignos profetas; cada uno con historia propia, con damsel in distress o sin ella, pero siempre con la espada lista y el corazón puesto en el Rey.

Y, ante todo, el Bro Code y Bro's before Ho's- que en esa época se conocía como el Code of Chivalry, claro.

P.D. ¿Soy muy cliché si digo que Sir Lancelo
Alex
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because in Global Perspectives we are currently learning about the middle ages; their lifestyles, their jobs and their homes. I have always been a fan of the Disney film 'The Sword in the Stone', because I really enjoy exploring the middle ages and the various stories that were told. I thought that this book would suit the category it completed well.

This book completed the category 'A book that teaches you about another time in history'.This category was very interest
Gary Hoggatt
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, all-fiction
King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table is Dover Evergreen Classic's 2002 adaptation of folklorist Andrew Lang's 1902 The Book of Romance. King Arthur consists of 13 separate stories chronicling King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, Lancelot, and other Knights of the Round Table. A few of the stories are great, and others are only okay. One fantastic aspect of the volume that runs throughout are the illustrations from the original publication by H.J. Ford.

One thing that must be kept in mind is that thes
Zachary Cawthon
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table had some fascinating stories not normally shared in everyday history lessons about the period. The tales provided a understanding of the adventures of King Arthur and his knights and also how King Arthur grew up and became king along with the background stories to the knights. Many fables revolve around such things as magic and many impossible tasks that cannot take place. These tales are supposed to represent the actual happenings of the King and his knig ...more
Johannes Kristian
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Own. Christmas present from Uncle Geoff.

That was a good book!
Tyas
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian, fantasy
If you're new to the world of Arthurian legends, this is a good introduction.
Lindri Setyaningrum
Ga terlalu tebal tapi banyak yang di-skip. Tertarik bagian romancenya aja haha. Hubungan Arthur - Guinevere - Lancelot ini menarik. Terharu ending Lancelot mengantar wanita yang dicintainya ke peristirahatan terakhir di samping suaminya. Noble knight emang :'(

Baca di sela-sela gabut pegawe baru wkwkwk
Mari
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay set of tales regarding King Arthur and the famed Knights of the Round Table, but overall, it was not for me. I found myself drifting off and towards the end, skim reading it which is never a good sign.
Mandi Almaguer
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: libros
cool day read.. because Merlin
Priyadarshni Palanikumar
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was the first time of my reading Arthurian legends. So, this review will be totally unbiased.

They were very interesting! And I really understand how the Game of Thrones books are compared to all the battles of those ages. It is a good book for a beginner in these legends, I must say.

The one thing that I didn't like very much was the meandering storyline. I have mentioned the same about the Game of Thrones books, but, that is way too much swaying. This book is not so much, but, I still los
Kristen
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a great, condensed refresher on Arthurian legend. It contains a series of short tales from King Arthur and the Knights of the Round table, basically summarizing the legends. It's missing the action and characterization that you get with other adaptations of the tales, but is instead an educational approach to the stories. I wouldn't recommend reading this before other adaptations, as you may get a bit lost, but it could still serve as a quick introductory course to a handful of the stori ...more
Elise
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Long, long ago, after Uther Pendragon died, there was no king in Britain, and every knight hoped to seize the crown for himself."

I expected it to be the basics of the legend simply by doing that thing we shouldn’t do, judging a book by it’s cover, which it was. Although a pretty decent read (done in a matter of hours due to the length) it just wasn’t that great.

As much as it stuck more true to the legends than some books do it just didn’t really hold my interest because it felt all to predictab
Aileen
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a real case of 'don't judge a book by the cover'. The front illustration on my copy made the book look like it was aimed at 5-8 year olds, but the inside was purely for the adults, from the archaic language to the small print. It told the tales of Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Gawain and all, filling in gaps that I had in my knowledge of these legends. A nice easy read.
AndrewP
May 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, re-reads
I suspect this is a very brief selection of the best known parts of Malory's work. Even being such a short work, it still shows a lot of the disjointed nature of the original book. Worth reading if you want to get a feel of the original stories.

WOW.. just realized I read this same book in 1995. Saying something that none of it was memorable :(
Ashley Vaughan
This reads like an abridged version and I think it probably is. It moves extremely fast (sometimes too fast) and is basically a highlights reel of the Arthurian legends. That said, it is actually quite good fun. The end is poignant and the tales are of adventure, honour and heroism where good eventually wins out. Fun and quick but not world-beating literature.
Andre Piucci
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"The sword itself he put in a magic stone, which floated down the stream to Camelot, that is now called Winchester.
(...) and said Arthur: far more grievous to me is the loss of my good Knights, than of my Queen; for Queens I might have in plenty, but no man had ever such a company of Knights."
Celeste Batchelor
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Sometimes Andrew Lang takes out so many of the details that it becomes a bit boring. I love stories about King Arthur, so it was not a total loss to read this book. I bought this as an "easier" read for my kids, but I don't know that it was worth it.
Michael
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
This is a very nice collection of short stories about King Arthur and his various knights. Sometimes, however, the stories seem too short and end almost as soon as they begin. Despite that, they're still fun, quick reads.
AndrewP
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Okay but written for a younger audience I think.
Liltánel
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was pretty good. I had a harder time understanding the Holy Grail stories, but all in all, it was a good book. I'll be looking for more King Arthur anthologies.
Joshua Perez
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Somewhat confusing at times. This was our reading assignment. I almost memorized the whole book.
Ella
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
  • King Arthur and His Knights
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance (The Story of the World #2)
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Trojan War
  • The Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature and Legend
  • Master Cornhill
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Idylls of the King and a Selection of Poems
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang