Start by marking “Little Baby Buttercup” as Want to Read:
Little Baby Buttercup

Little Baby Buttercup

In this delightful love letter to a growing child, Linda Ashman and You Byun celebrate the magic of those fleeting days of early childhood. Their lively read-aloud shows the delight to be found in the world of a toddler. Every day brings new milestones and adventure—and little Buttercup is eager to reach out and experience it all, while her mother is always eager to reach ...more
Published January 29th 2015 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Baby Buttercup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Baby Buttercup

Abigail
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Looking for Children's Stories in Rhyme, or for Reassurance Tales in General
"Little Baby Buttercup, / how I love to scoop you up. / Scoop you up and hold you near. / Kiss your little baby ear." And so begins this heartwarming read-aloud picture-book for younger children, one which follows a mother and daughter through the day's activities, from gardening to visiting the park, and everything in between. Addressed to Buttercup, and told from the perspective of the mother, the narrative here offers reassurance and love.

As someone who is always recommending rhyming stories
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has got to be one of the cutest toddler books I’ve ever read. Little Baby Buttercup (Nancy Paulsen Books, 2015) is a “Mommy and Me” story about daily activities and growing up. Readers will join Buttercup, as she eats, plays with blocks, “helps” her mother in the garden, and explores the outside world of nature and busy people around her.

Author Linda Ashman tells the story using bouncy rhymes that are simple and fun, propelling the story forward. The vocabulary presents a few opportunities
V.A. Trafton
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the title and illustrations! Easy words that rhyme. Great book for beginner readers. Love all the activity! Good entertaining story time read for pre-k, kindergarten and first grades.
Patricia McLaughlin
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A book that “celebrates the magic of those fleeting days of childhood” more for the benefit of nostalgic adult readers than for toddlers living the experiences described in the chiming rhymes of this ode to Little Baby Buttercup.
Sheri
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The rhyming verse and story about a mother's love for her little girl is sweet and tender and soothing to read. I love the colorful illustrations and Linda's rhyme and meter in the text. I recommend this as a family read aloud.
Laura Salas
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A love poem/song from parent to toddler, full of all the fun a day can hold!
Tasha
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The life of a toddler is explored in this loving picture book that celebrates all of the small moments that make up a busy toddler day. Written in bouncy rhyme, the book matches the endless energy of a small child. From waking up to hugs and moving on through the day to bedtime, the day is filled with activity. Some is as simple as eating and wearing some of the food. Others are visits to the park and meeting friends there. There is even a skinned knee on the playground and some rain to add a li ...more
BillyAnn Stempel
This book is about a mother and baby relationship. The mother is always awaiting a hug from her baby. This book shows the child in both quiet and boisterous phases of growing up and the whole time the mother shows her love.

Illustrations appear to be done in colored pencil

I think this book was very sweet and innocent. It shows the undying love that a mother has for her baby. I think this book is a great read aloud for a family to do but I do not see it being used in the classroom.
Barbara
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway...thank you.
This is an adorable book that I read to my grand-daughter Anna who LOVES it!!! It's a great rhyming story about a toddler and mom with lovely illustrations. It's a wonderful book and a terrific addition to your child's library. I highly recommend.
Kristina Jean Lareau
This watercolored picturebook for toddlers shows the delights of a toddler's day. It is very sweet with lively illustrations that lean to a slight anime-feel with the rosy cheeks. This book actually runs a little long for a toddler read aloud, but some selective skipping will make it quite effective and fun.

A 3.5/5.
Kelsey
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Age: Infant-Preschool
Family: Mother, daughter

Nothing groundbreaking, but Ashman presents a lyrical mother's reverence to her growing daughter with text that is just the right amount of sweet without going overboard. Kids will love hearing the repetition of "little baby buttercup."
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Sounds just like All the World - same trite, predictable rhymes. A lot of the pictures are of the same kinds of things, too. Matte feel of the paper doesn't work so well.
Alice
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars This was a lovely baby and mother story. Well written with cute pictures...It makes me all squishy inside in a good way...Just enjoyed this one! I can just see my poor mom doing all these things when I was a baby..even though she 4 other children to worry about when I was baby!
Jill
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
just ho-hum for me
Edward Sullivan
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Good story for sharing.
Casandria
A day in the life of a toddler. Cute illustrations. Lots of love between mother and child
All About Me
Mother's Day
Toddlers
Amanda
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best of 2015 for babies/toddlers. Sweet.
Marcie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: CLEL Bell 2016
I love Linda Ashman and this does remind me of Rain.
Lacey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute little book for toddlers. My daughter and I really enjoyed reading it before nap time. The illustrations are very well done, the characters fun, and the story simple yet sweet.
Robin Raines-Bond
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable Mommy/child book. The pictures show all the things Moms and children do together. The text is sing-songy sweet. It a feel good book.
Phyllis
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A book to enjoy with a toddler.
Jessica
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's a bit saccharin, but the illustrations are really sweet and the story will make a nice shared time between moms and their baby girls.
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
The book describes the kind of sweet perfect day every mother wishes she could have with her adorable toddler.
Bonnie Demarchi
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming pictures with rhyming text celebrates a toddler spending time with her mommy. There are learning experiences everywhere. This is a great book for Baby or Toddler library storytime.
Ruth Ann
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Rhyming picture book goes through the active day of a toddler.

This is not a "letter" as the description says.
Lisa D
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book!! I loved it!!
Michelle
Sweet, rhyming story of a toddler and her momma. Beautiful illustrations.
Elisabeth
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A little busy and little long for storytime, but I think it's wonderful for one on one reads...especially because you can start and stop and come back and not lose a lot of narrative.
Rachel
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations. This would be great for storytime read alouds. The text has a very nice rhythm.
Maria Marshall
Mar 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Knit Together
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Just a Duck?
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Bear  Hare -- Where's Bear?
  • No Matter What
  • Gator Dad
  • Double Take! a New Look at Opposites
  • Duddle Puck: The Puddle Duck
  • Happy Birthday, Bunny!
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and