Start by marking “Duncan, the Story Dragon” as Want to Read:
Duncan, the Story Dragon

Duncan, the Story Dragon

A charming story about the joys of reading that is perfect for fans of Dog Loves Books and Stellaluna.

Duncan the Dragon loves to read. When he reads a story, his imagination catches fire! Unfortunately…so does his book.

Published June 9th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Duncan, the Story Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncan, the Story Dragon

Ivonne Rovira
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who knows kids books aren't just for kids
Right from the cover — featuring an adorable dragon sporting classic Chuck Taylor Converses (shoelaces untied, naturally!) — readers can tell what a special treat they have in store with Duncan the Story Dragon.

“When Duncan read a book, the story came to life … and his imagination caught fire. Unfortunately, so did his book.” Booklovers of every age will love finding out how this fellow bibliophile solves his dilemma. Highly, highly recommended because fine children’s books aren’t just for child
Heidi-Marie
I LOVE IT! What an adorable story--and all about reading! With friends, too. So, so good. Can't wait to read this in storytime. Could work with mice, dragons, books, friends, solving problems. Love the pictures, too. Very cute.

1/27/16 Used in D is for theme. They really liked the story. Might have missed a couple of the "aww" parts, especially the end. But overall they still really liked it.

Fall 2017: I am sure I did this in movement. After, it resided at home where my stepdaughter enjoyed havin
Rachel Lee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Opening Move #1

Today we are going to read a book called, "Duncan, the Story Dragon". Who here likes dragons? [children raise/don't raise hands]. I like dragons too. Dragons can do something really cool when they breathe. Can anyone tell me what that is? [choose one child to answer that dragons breathe fire]. That's right! They breathe fire! Did you ever think that maybe breathing fire might cause a problem or two for a dragon? [children respond yes or no]. Hmm. . . interesting. What about this
Nikki Ibarra
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-award
To open this book to the audience, I would begin by telling them, "this book is named 'Duncan, the Story Dragon'. Can anyone guess what this story is about from the cover?"
After having the audience discuss the question a little, I will open the book to the cover page inside the book, which has a little more to work with and point out the supplies in the picture. I'll ask, "after seeing these supplies, can anyone make any new guesses about this story? What about the milkshake, what do you think t
Erika
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is ridiculously adorable and man does this dragon have styling shoes!
B.A. Wilson
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this! So cute! It makes my librarian heart happy.
Callie Ammons
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Duncan the story dragon is about a dragon who loves to read books. Unfortunately, from his crazy imagination he would get so excited that he would breathe fire destroying every book he read. All he wanted was to get to the end of a book. He tried his best to keep his cool but it never worked. He decided to search far and wide to find a friend to read it to him. Everyone he went up to were either scared of him or scared him. He became very discouraged and sad that he couldn’t find anyone until he ...more
Riley Thomas
Opening Move: Read some of the text to engage attention
This book begins with the sentence: Duncan the Dragon loved to read. This is a short and easy-to-understand sentence and by using it to introduce the book is a good way to grab attention. The short statement will engage listeners to find out more about this reading dragon.

Opening Move: Prompt hypothesizing based on the situation
Building off of the above opening move, I would add to their curiosity by asking students to predict or hypothesize
Matthew Hoffart
1) Raise interest about the topic: "The story we are going to be reading next is about dragons. What are some things you know about dragons from other stories, movies, tv., etc.?" (Predicted responses: they are scary, they breathe fire, they can fly people are scared of them).

2) Prompt predictions based on the title (and cover): "'Duncan the Story Dragon'...Look at the picture on the cover. What do you think this dragon likes to do?" (Predicted response: It's a dragon that loves to read books!)
Jordan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read a book, sometimes I get so interested that I just can't wait to read the ending! Every once in a while, though, I get interrupted by something and have to stop reading before I'm finished. Has that ever happened to you? How did it make you feel? In this story, a dragon named Duncan has a similar problem. What do you know about dragons? That's right, they breathe fire! They can also be kind of scary. I wonder if that will be part of Duncan's problem.

Opening moves used:
-Prompt a brief
Megan Orchard
Boys and girls, raise you hand if you love to read or love to have someone read to you. I love getting to read, whether it is just reading for fun, reading for school, or even reading aloud to you. I want you to think of something that you really love to do, it may be reading, playing a sport or instrument, or anything else you can think of. How would you feel if you weren't able to do that anymore? Today, we are going to read a story about a dragon who has that very same problem.

-Share a person
Lauren Marshall
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book we are going to read today is called Duncan, the Story Dragon. Does anybody know what a dragon is? Does anybody know a dragon breathes and blows out of his mouth? Fire. What do you think happens to the paper in the book when Duncan blows the fire from his mouth? Let’s find out if Duncan can find a way to read a book and finally get the the word, “The End.”

2018 Picture Book Nominee-Golden Sower Award.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Duncan the Dragon loves to read books. Being a dragon poses a problem for him. Duncan breathes fire, and accidentally burns his books. In his quest to find a friend who can read to him, he meets a small mouse who loves reading as much as he does. Through the stories they read, these two friends go on epic, unforgettable adventures together.

We loved this book! It's a great story about friendship and the imaginative world of reading that brought two friends together. Duncan The Story Dragon is a
Sara Grochowski
Duncan the Dragon loves to read. When he reads his imagination catches fire... unfortunately, so does the book. He tries everything to keep his cool - reading in the refrigerator, the bathtub, and in front of fans - but nothing works. Finally, he sets out to find a friend willing to read to him. When he finally succeeds, the book loving pair work together and are finally able to read those satisfying final words: The End. Driscoll's colorful illustrations beautiful portray Duncan's disappointmen ...more
Genetta
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read aloud book with a lovable dragon for a main character. Kids will delight in the idea of a dragon who loves to read but can't finish a book because it burns up from the fire he breathes when engrossed in a story. When Duncan finds help from the most unlikely of sidekicks, readers discover the power of learning to read. This is one of those books kids will ask parents to read over and over again. And parents will enjoy re-reading it just as much as the kids.
The Styling Librarian
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Duncan the Story Dragon by Amanda Driscoll – What a terrible problem Duncan has- he loves his books so much and gets so lost in the story, the burns them up. He begins looking outside of himself to try to finally read a complete story and hear the words “the end”. Great story, love this this book from first time picture book creator…
Bmack
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really cute book about a dragon named Duncan who wants to read a book but he gets so excited he burns the book before he has a chance to finish it. He goes to many animal friends but they are too scared to help him read the end of the book until he finds book loving mouse. Great story about loving to read and friendship
Debbie Emory
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Duncan's dream of finishing a story before he sets it on fire leads him to a new friendship and a happy ending. The illustrations of this adorable creature lure your heart into Duncan's quest. I love this brave soul who finds a way to make his dream come true.
Kayla Edwards
I am in love with Duncan! I cannot imagine being unable to finish a book and, to make matters worse, not being able to find anyone to read it to me. This is an adorable story that I will definitely be sharing with all my classes!
Rachel
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and so did the preschoolers I read it to. The poor little dragon just wants to finish a book!
Dani Kraft
Jun 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: state-award
Duncan The Story Dragon//Amanda Driscoll

First, I will sit down in a reading corner that I presume will be in my classroom. I will have all the children sit down on the rug and sit quietly in preparation for the story time. I am going to assume this is the first story time I have ever had with this group of students. I will start by saying “Who here knows what an author is?” they will all raise their hands and I will choose someone. Once somebody answers and gives an answer saying something like
Leah Grant
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
"Duncan, the Story Dragon" by Amanda Driscoll is the story of a young dragon named Duncan who loves to read books. Unfortunately, when Duncan starts imagining his stories, he accidentally lights them on fire. He tries his hardest to keep calm while reading but it doesn't work. He is never able to read the end of his books. He wants to meet a person who can read his stories for him. He is able to meet a mouse who also shares his passion for reading. Together they are able to go on many adventures ...more
Maria Mascalco
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Duncan The Story Dragon, written and illustrated by Amanda Driscoll, is the perfect read aloud for any classroom of students from grades 1-3. The story is a funny tale of Duncan, who is a dragon that loves to read, but unfortunately his books catch fire with his imagination. He comes across many animals, but every animal he asks won't read it to him, except for a teeny tiny mouse. They read the story together, which allows their imaginations to fly together.

This story is perfect for young child
Crystal
An absolutely charming story with absolutely adorable art, about a book-loving dragon named Duncan. Duncan just wants to finish a book, but every time he reads he gets so excited he accidentally sets his book on fire, and never gets to read "The end." So Duncan goes on a quest to find a friend who will read to him. After a succession of animals who avoid his request in humorous ways, he finally finds a fellow book lover brave enough to read to him, and together they enjoy books all the way to th ...more
Paige Miller
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
Duncan is a kind, gentle dragon who just wants to read a story, and actually finish one. "His imagination caught fire," along with his book. He tried everything he could think of to keep his cool, but then he had a bright idea. What if he had a friend to read to him? Will he find a friend to see past their fear of the dragon and be willing to help? This is a charming story of fortitude, books, friendship and don't forget, milkshakes.

Activity:
* Bring in mini milkshakes for the students
Lauren Dooley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a dragon named Duncan who loves to read. However, when he gets close to the ending of a book his imagination catches fire and so does his book. He catches his books on fire and is never able to make it to the end of the story. Duncan searches everywhere along the countryside to find someone to read his book for him, but cannot find anyone, until he meets a little mouse who changes it all. This was a cute book and I really enjoyed reading it. In the beginning it made me feel sa ...more
Arnela
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Duncan is a dragon that loves to read. He gets super duper excited and his imagination goes wild and he accidentally blows some fire. This ends up burning his books up and he never manages to finish a book. He'd gone and asked a few critters if they could read the book for him, but being a dragon, he sort of spooked them. When things look bleak he meets a small mouse, and seeing as they both love books the mouse is more than happy to read the stories to him. Together they go on grand adventures ...more
Margaret Boling
3/10/2018 ~~ This is on the list of Young Hoosier nominees in the Picture Book category. I adored reading it aloud this week (preK to 3rd). The word choices are impeccable and demonstrate how carefully picture books are crafted. Did you notice that pattern of "would you, could you?"
Duncan to raccoon: "Would you read this book to me?"
Duncan to possum: "Could you read this book to me?"
Duncan to bull: "Will you read this book to me?"
Duncan to mouse: "Would you, could you, will you please read this
Christy
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Fire breath is great for roasting marshmallows, but it’s not so great for reading. Duncan just wants to get to those two wonderful words, like the last sip of a chocolate milk shake: The End. Will he ever find out how the story ends?

This bright, warm tale champions determination,
Channing Anderson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like the last sip of a chocolate milkshake, children will love the book Duncan the Story Dragon. Duncan the dragon, a huge reader, has a problem. No matter what he tries, he cannot keep his imagination and books from catching fire while he reads. Follow Duncan as he searches for a solution to his problem and the joy of finally reading the last line of a story. Parents and children will LOVE this cute story about how important it is to find friends who read.
  • Ninja Bunny
  • The Storybook Knight
  • Bunny's Book Club
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • The Boy & the Book
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • How to Draw a Dragon