Start by marking “A Matter of Heart” as Want to Read:
A Matter of Heart

A Matter of Heart

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  548 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
Readers will happily sink into this emotionally grounded, contemporary young adult novel about the sudden end of one girl's Olympic swimming dreams and the struggles she endures before realizing there are many things that define who we are.

Sixteen-year-old Abby Lipman is on track to win the state swim championships and qualify for the Olympic trials when a fainting inciden
Published May 12th 2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Heart

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
"This isn't how its supposed to be. How can the heart of a fighter be damaged?"

This is such a meaningful novel. I enjoyed every moment I'm in Abby's head. I was with her when she was dreaming huge for her future, and I was also there when those dreams broke into pieces. But most importantly, I saw her pick it up again one by one... and dream again. Maybe different this time, but still dreaming nonetheless. And that's whats important.

We first got introduced to a competitive Abby. She was li
Daniella (Reading With Daniella)
I'm so torn about this one. It was a very heartfelt and emotional read that pulled at my heartstrings, but I didn't love it. From the first few chapters I was immediately immersed in the story and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, this didn't last the entire story. Towards the end of the book, I found that things were happening too quickly and weren't being resolved very well.

The storyline of A Matter of Heart was interesting and very unique. I've never read anything similar to it before, an
Krystianna
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review

A Matter of Heart is a whirlwind of a story. Abby Lipman has spent her entire life focusing on swimming. Every day she wakes up really early to get to the pool and then she swims again later at night. She's the fastest swimmer on her school's swim team, and this year, she knows that she could qualify for the Olympic trials. Her times keep getting better and better, until she gets diagnosed with a heart condition. Now she can't swim competitively or work herself as much as she used to, because sh
Kaitlyn Abshire
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author and The Fantastic Flying Book Club for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Abby Lipman has swam practically her whole life. When a fainting episode lands her in a doctor’s office, her Olympic dreams are on the line. She is diagnosed with a heart condition that she will live with for the rest of her life. Determined to not let her disorder get in the way of her dreams, Abby decides she will stop at nothing to achieve her dreams of winning Olympic go
nick
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

A Matter of Heart tells an interesting story of a young swimmer with Olympic aspirations who discovers that she has fatal heart conditions. This is the kind of book that could have the ability to punch readers in the heart with all kinds of emotions, but instead what I got out of it is a whole lot of frustration mainly because of the main character. Finding out that you have a deadly condition that destroys your career is never an easy thing. I mean I can't even imagine how devastating it can be
Christina Mandelski
My high school age daughter runs on her school's cross country team. She's a great athlete who puts 110% into each practice and meet. But there's another girl on the team who, when she starts running, is something to behold. Not that she doesn't train hard and work hard, but she's just got that extra something; her body knows how to move itself with perfect efficiency. Her times are incredible and she always, always wins. We've all known or heard of people like this.

And this, in a nutshell, is A
Kristen
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I went into this one with high hopes, and it had a lot of promise: swimmer discovers she has a heart condition, drama ensues. Unfortunately, it was just...okay. The story unfolded really slowly--there was little emotion or conflict until the last few chapters other than the narrator fighting with herself and making silly decisions. There's also a lot of Abby describing what her two boy love interests look like. Ugh. Okay...we get it. They're swimmers and they have nice chests...move on.

Everythin
Jillian Lopez
AMAZING. This book was seriously BEAUTIFUL. From the writing to the story and the overall idea and plot, A Matter of Heart will surely grip you from the inside and twist you all around. This is the story of a young athlete who dreams to compete in State by swimming... but when a dangerous heart condition takes over, she is hindered by its obstacles and the dangers it could lead to.

LOVED THIS BOOK.

This should really take the book spotlight next! It deserves a round of applause!! <3
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I wanted to read this one because I am drawn to the heavy contemporaries, especially those dealing with teen illness. It has kinda been my thing since loving Lurlene McDaniel in middle school--well I still do really. Plus the aspect of her swimming competitively and the Olympic goals.

I liked that I got a full sense of Abby's life before she got her diagnosis. I got to see how much she loved swimming and how it has been in her blood since she was young. I got to see how much time and effort she
ExLibris_Kate
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to figure out who you are is a common theme in many YA novels, but to say that those questions stop when you become an adult would be incorrect. I think that’s why many of the themes touched upon in A Matter of Hear will resonate with both teens and adults. Abby’s swimming career is everything to her, and, in her mind, it’s everything to her father, as well. I think that her relationship with her parents is very interesting because we see one parent who seems to be living a dream through ...more
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 1.5. I've not despised a book quite the way I despised this one in a while.

Abby is possibly an Olympic-caliber swimmer, the top swimmer at her school and held to a high standard by her father. She starts having fainting spells and shortness of breath in the pool, and quickly learns she has a rare genetic heart condition that is putting her entire swimming life in jeopardy.

The big question in the book is whether she'll try to keep swimming or not. Take a wild guess as to where things
Trisha
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
"How can the heart of a fighter be damaged?"

A wonderful story that not only brings awareness to a condition many don't know about, it also brings up love and heart and what it means to compete and love it.

Abby was hard to love at first. She's so determined and headstrong and stubborn - but so true of a 16 year old. I loved her friend Jen and her swimming team. I even loved her little ones that she taught. Abby has heart.

Alec was a wonderful distraction to the story, that kept things light at tim
Claire
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! I read it twice I loved it so much. Yes, I suppose it is like many other realistic fiction books, but I think this one accurately captured how Abby (the main character) was feeling. Abby was announced with HCM, a condition that effects her heart, and as a competitive swimmer looking to get to the Olympics, the news is hard for her to hear. Overall, I loved this book, and would definitely read it again.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Amy Fellner Dominy. But it won't be my last. I truly enjoyed reading this story and admire Amy's writing style.

I found this book easy to read and I flew through it. I definitely want my teenage daughters to read this book. I feel they will enjoy it and find good messages in the story.

Overall - highly recommend, for both teens and adults who like reading YA books.
Daphne Atkeson
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strong, emotionally moving story from an author I love. Amy Dominy is a remarkable author with a vivid voice, creating characters that jump off the page, full of humor and heart. Her books are always must-buys. Highly recommend.
Abigail Fed
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I selected this book because it was about a swimmer. My favorite thing to do is swim and I thought this book would be a great fit. It definately was the right choice. While reading this book, I got the feeling that I was in the book and the characters were my friends. The author did a great job of making the book feel real even though it was fiction. I would definitely recommend this book.

This book is about a swimmer named Abby Lipman who is about to go to the Olyimpic trials when she discovers
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)
A surprisingly heartfelt story with a great internal struggle and an excellent family dynamic. The main character was well d eloped and believable, making stupid mistakes but learning a lot about herself.

Give to fans of Miranda Kenneally (for great female athletes) and Morgan Matson (for summer stories with a bit of meat to them).
Clara
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I could really do without the books surrounding disability where the main character spends a lot of time thinking about how pointless their life is now that they're disabled and how they'd rather die taking risks and pretending that their disability doesn't exist. I guess bonus points to this one for having the main character realize how screwed up that is at the end?
Mackenzie Orlosky
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Second time reading, this time for class, and the character still urkes me... She's so selfish and irritating. A very predictable book and I feel like it needed more of the "ah ha" moment from the main character. But yet, I'm a sucker for love triangles and anything related to swimming gets an extra star...
Also find it funny it was almost 2 years exactly from the 1st read to the 2nd!
Nicole Hewitt
3.5/5 Stars

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

A Matter of Heart is about one girl’s struggle to accept the loss of a dream – the loss of everything that she believes makes her who she is. The thing that makes her special. It’s a story that we can all relate to, in some respects, even if we’re not particularly sporty people (as I said above, I’m certainly not!). All of us have things that we use to define ourselves – our talents, our jobs, our friends, o
Liralen
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Abby's in high school but has Olympic-sized dreams—or, more specifically, she dreams of making it to the Olympics. With swimming times just shy of qualifying for the Olympic trials, those dreams are within the realm of possibility...until a diagnosis of a heart condition smashes her hopes.

Now, Abby's in an especially interesting position because her father had hopes of the Olympics, too, until an injury ended his career—all of which begs the question, whose dreams are they anyway? Abby's, or her
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
A Matter of Heart was a roller-coaster ride of emotions. Abby is on track to become a Olympic swimmer. She's a hard worker, loves the sport, is competitive, pushes herself, and has the heart to give it her all. But then everything changes and she doesn't know how to be without swimming. It takes time before she finds herself again.

I loved the support group that Abby has. Her parents, even though her father felt like he was really pushing her to still swim - a lot of that was her own misconceptio
Tara
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Sappy cute story - loved the ending!
Kelly Hager
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge, huge fan o f Amy Fellner Dominy's and I have been since I read OyMG a few years ago. This is her third book and I think it's easily her best yet.

I think everyone has something that they consider "their thing," something that they're incredibly passionate about and something that makes their life worth living. For Abby, it's swimming. And it's not just a hobby for her; she's really good. In fact, there's a decent chance that she'll be able to make the Olympics.

And then she learns th
Shannelle
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Find more reviews and lettering on my blog The Art of Escapism.

I think there aren't enough YA books with sports in them, so I was really interested when I heard about A Matter of Heart. It was a good book in so many ways, but I really can't say if the biggest failure was the book's or mine.

A Matter of Heart is so well-written. As the chapters went by, I started to really appreciate the meaning behind the title. It doesn't only concern Abby's literal heart, but the figurative one as well.

Abby's d
Ms. Yingling
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Things are going well for Abby. She is an excellent swimmer, and might possibly make the Olympic team, a life long goal for her, as well as her father. She has a really hot boyfriend, Connor. When she gets dizzy after a swim practice, her coach demands she see a doctor, even though Abby thinks it's nothing. The doctor, a friend of her mother's, tells her bad news-- she has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, or HCM. The good news is that it's not fatal if treated, and it's treatable. The bad news is th ...more
Karen
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old swimmer, Abby Lipman is living the dream life--she's on the brink of qualifying for the Olympics, she's dating the fastest boy swimmer on the team, and aside from her dad's misplaced uber-focus on her swimming, life is good. Bit by bit, the center of her identity comes undone. What will happen to Abby if she can no longer compete? Will her boyfriend stick around to pick up the pieces? Hint: It's all about the heart.

Disclaimer: I lucked out at TLA2015 to hear the author speak abo
Jillian Heise
I really enjoy reading Amy Fellner Dominy's books, and this one was no different. In A Matter of Heart Dominy heads from middle school into high school with her characters, and does so successfully. As a former swimmer, I connected even more with some of the elements of this book, and I think any competitive athlete will relate to many aspects. But ultimately, it's a story of one girl and a dream, and what happens when she discovers a condition that means her body prevents her from being able to ...more
PinkAmy loves  &#x1f495; books&#x1f4d6;, cats&#x1f63b; and naps&#x1f6cf;
Abby is one swim meet away from making the Olympic Trials. Swimming is everything, that and her perfect boyfriend. When a newly diagnosed heart condition ends her competitive career, Abby will risk everything to make her dreams come true.

A MATTER OF HEART is a compulsively readable tale of a girl and her dreams, her values and resilience. Abby is a great character, because of her imperfections, she's at times selfish, dishonest, shallow and unkind, yet I never stopped rooting for her to be okay
Samantha
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
It went a little slowly, and wasn't as emotionally charged as it could have been, but I still really appreciate this book. It covered a subject that isn't very typical (heart conditions in young athletes), and that really made it worthwhile. I also did enjoy the characters, even if they didn't reach their peak potential. Still I give it four stars for it's research and efforts, and I hope to read more from Amy Fellner Dominy!
  • Any Way You Slice It
  • Beyond the Parallel (Parallelogram, #4)
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • dotwav
  • Love, Lucas
  • A Missing Peace
  • In Deep
Hi! I'm the author of books for teens, tweens and toddlers. Out now is a YA adventure-thriller-roadtrip-romance: THE FALL OF GRACE. I'm also the co-author of the Disney-Hyperion picture book series COOKIESAURUS REX. Book one is out now, and COOKIESAURUS CHRISTMAS is coming Sept 2018.

I live and sweat in Phoenix, Arizona with my hubby and a new puppy who is training us.

Find me online: www.amydominy
More about Amy Fellner Dominy

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99