Start by marking “Clark the Shark Takes Heart” as Want to Read:
Clark the Shark Takes Heart

Clark the Shark Takes Heart

Published December 30th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Clark the Shark Takes Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clark the Shark Takes Heart

Britt, Book Habitue
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Copy received for review.

I'm a little confused and .... annoyed is too strong a word, but I can't think of a better fit, so we'll go with annoyed, by the leap from the first 2, which were focused on learning to share and getting used to school and behaving at school, to this one about having a crush on someone and telling them you like them. And then swimming off holding fins at the end.

For one, that feels too old for the target audience, concept-wise. Two, I have TWO kids in the target range an
Casey Garcia
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute book! I would read it to random children on the street :)
Amy
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the best book I ever read. I'm so glad my sister recommended this to me.
Misbah
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Anthony
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Clark the Shark, has a crush on Anna Angelfish, and tries to come up with the perfect gift to give her for her birthday. After several failed attempts to get Anna to notice him, and taking advice from his best friend Joey Mackerel, Clark finds the perfect gift, and the rest is magic under the sea.
I am in love with Clark the Shark. He is the kind of student who is all about living life BIG! In this book, he learns that a big gesture isn't always the best way to make a friend
Kate
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite, but Clark is always a cutie.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh....Clark has a crush on a girl and tries to impress her. He finally finds a heart shell. gives it to her, and she says likes him back.
Katie
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
Dating happens at a young age at Theodore Roosterfish Elementary.
Lynn Demsky
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
“It's Anna Angelfish's birthday, and Clark wants to find the perfect present for her to show her how he feels. But when he tries to make a big impression with his usual zip, bang, and BOOM, things don't go quite as planned. With help from his best friend, Joey Mackerel, our favorite boisterous shark learns that when it comes to showing that you care, something thoughtful and small could be the best of all. Featuring bright, colorful artwork from Guy Francis and hilarious read-aloud text from Bru ...more
Susan
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Clark the Shark series. In this story Clark wants to impress the girl of his dreams, Anna Angelfish, on her birthday. Clark the Shark tries several showy activities such as being a winner or a hero with no success. Finally he takes the advice of his best friend who says something small and thoughtful is best of all and has success. Clark the Shark teaches the young reader an important lesson in a thoroughly entertaining way. The clever names of the fish are delightf ...more
Alice
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars So what I like about this book. I think the School Boat, (School Bus) is great and some of the fishy subtleties . Like "Theodore Roosterfish Elementary"

But what I didn't like is what elementary school is taking about wooing a girl. I knew I liked boys in 3rd grade...but it was 3rd grade sort of things nothing serious. This shark is serious about Anna. He learns his big gestures are as well received as a small one. It is cute but the pre pre teen dating is not something I am intereste
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I Thought- This was a nice picture book. It isn’t really a Valentine’s story, but can be read as one. Clark wants to show a classmate he likes (Anna Angelfish) how he feels for her birthday. With a little help from his friends, Clark finally figures out that it’s the little things mean the most. That’s a nice message. The illustrations are fun and cartoony. They make you want to laugh out loud. Clark is a shark, but he isn’t mean. At all. He may be accident-prone, but he’s actually pretty n ...more
Jillian
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytimes
It was a cute book, but the subject of *actual* dating and relationships is a little above the target audience. Plus there's the whole thing about "winning" a girl (though it's debunked...mostly...by the end) that annoyed me.
Clark's crush isn't portrayed as a "I like her and want her to be my friend," it's very clearly a romantic relationship he wants. Kids are exposed to sexualization and objectification early enough without a book for kindergarteners telling them the ways to get girls to date
Kimberly
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm surprised to see that this one has such low ratings! I thought it was cute. As far as "holding fins" being inappropriate for the age group...uh, I very clearly remember my four-year-old little brother coming down the stairs one morning looking forlorn and, when questioned on why, responding with, "Well, my heart belongs to Heather, but I don't think she likes me back."

Preschoolers totally have crushes. It is a thing. And holding fins is like as unoffensive as you can get.
Mary
This is a simple story of what one shark does when he knows he has feelings for another fish. He tries many things, but ultimately what comes from the heart is best. It is similar to a story that might come from a cartoon with pictures to match. A slightly longer story, it is better for older audiences.
Robin Raines-Bond
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This has cute pictures, but I am confused by the content. It is written for kids age 4-8 years old, so why are we talking about dating, liking girls and how to get a girl to like you? Most kids I know in that age range think the opposite sex are yucky.
Heidi-Marie
I'm used to these books having a lesson to them. I didn't quite expect one to be how to show your interest/feelings to someone you like. Not really sure what age range it is aimed for. I mean, how soon do we want our kids to be pursuing relationships? Up to the parents I suppose.
Candy
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute!!
Shelli
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clark the Shark’s over the top attempts to impress Anna Angelfish are not working. Perhaps scaling back a bit (no pun intended) will help him catch the girl? A fun read that kiddos will enjoy.
Margaret Samuels
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
G 5yrs: "I gave it 5 stars because I like the last part that he gave a heart clam. He WAS brave because he did tricks and wants to marry a girl."
Nikol Gordon
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nothing better than hearing a story read by the author himself. Bruce Hale is awesome!!! Loved the book, loved meeting him and look forward to reading more of his works!!
Margaret Chind
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marine-life
Written, to type. Inappropriate for age-target.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Clark seeks advice from pal for wooing Anna Angelfish.
Derrick
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Meghan
Jul 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not my favorite of all the Clark the shark books. The topic of this one seems more helpful to a teenager about to start dating than a child about to start grade school.
Elani K. Villanueva
Sep 29, 2016
emmegail
rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2018
Debby
Feb 09, 2015
Robert
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A serious book addict, Bruce wanted to be a children's book author since he was in 4th grade (right after he got over wanting to be a pirate, Tarzan, and Daniel Boone). Today he's the author-illustrator of over 50 seriously funny books for kids, so some dreams do come true.

The Malted Falcon, one of his Chet Gecko Mysteries series, was an Edgar Award finalist, and Murder, My Tweet won a Little D Aw