Start by marking “Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi” as Want to Read:
Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi

Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  564 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Francis of Assisi is one of the most beloved of all saints. Both traditional and entirely revolutionary, he was a paradox. He was at once down to earth and reaching toward heaven, grounded in the rich history of the Church while moving toward a new understanding of the world beyond.

Globally recognized as an ecumenical teacher, Richard Rohr started out—and remains—a Fran
Published July 31st 2014 by Franciscan Media (first published July 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Eager to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eager to Love

Jon Cooper
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Currently about half way through this book.

As with almost all of Rohr's writings, this one resonates with me, deeply.

But more than anything I've read in a long time, it challenges me in a way that demands a response.

Very enjoyable read so far.

* * * * *

Finished reading Eager to Love, and it was brilliant. As I said above, very challenging, and also honest and raw. As with most of Rohr's work, engaging and readable.

Still, not a volume, I think, for those not familiar with the body of Rohr's w
Larry Smith
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults, college students, interfaith communities
Though author Richard Rohr does not delve into the biographies of Saint Francis of Assisi or of Saint Clare, he is well informed of their lives, and his real gift is understanding their lives and significance. The book's subtitle suggests how radical Francis of Assisi was and remains so in the Catholic Church. He is one of those saints that goes beyond Catholicism to be worshiped and admired in other faiths. Rorh himself is described as "an ecumenical teacher" in the book's cover description and ...more
Erin Henry
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could give it 10 stars!
It's probably best described as a brief over view of modern day Franciscan mysticism. But I found so much that I agreed with or had thought about but couldn't put into words or that challenged me to think further. I already want to read it again.
Still a 5 on the reread
Roy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
By far the best spiritual book i've read in over a decade, out of the 100's i've read. Mind blowing would be an understatement as it changed my emotional base, my attitudes and my relationships with others in a revolutionary way. I was released from the prison of my own limited mind, at least a few prisons or cells to say the least. I am not Catholic in my training nor church setting, nor Franciscan but that does not change the overwhelming effect of the writing and content of the book. If you s ...more
Jason Lyle
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I always knew Francis was an amazing man, but never fully knew his theology. The new Pope taking the Francis name has huge implications, and he chose a big set of shoes to fill. The book is quite heady. It keeps you thinking. It's pretty well written but overuse of exclamation points is a bit frustrating. But over all I really enjoyed reading this book. It has sparked an interests in Catholicism.
Matt
I love St. Francis but Richard Rohr is very hot or miss for me. Thankfully this book is all about Francis, and Rohr's description of the significance of St. Francis is both beautiful and compelling. 5 stars for the book and 3 stars for the appendices where Rohr talks about his own theological program.
Ed Cyzewski
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Typical Rohr with lots of great insights, a friendly and conversational style, but a quite a bit of jargon that feels a little too detached at times. The first half of this book was fantastic, and then the second half got pretty choppy. still lots of good ideas and worth reading, but it felt like it jumped around a bit.
Margie Dorn
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this with centering prayer group. Really excellent; we were wishing that many people would read it; it is so illuminating and expressed so well. Rohr takes the life of St. Francis and his followers and translates it to a spirituality for today that manages to combine heart and mind with an openness that is sorely needed.
Susan Bell
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read! Helped me to understand why Pope Francis seems so different from his predecessors. The Franciscan view seems to be much more welcoming.
Tara Bartal
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, I would suggest to anyone who thinks they know of St. Francis to preface this book with a good biography of St. Francis. I thought I knew about this saint but, as I delved into reading this book, I realized I did not know of him well enough.
This is a wonderfully intricate book of good theology. Richard Rohr expounds much of the typical views of Christianity and goes deeper. It is not a fast read. It wasn't for me, anyway. This is a book to take time with and read again and again. So often
Alison
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I read the first hundred or so pages waiting for some fancy idea to strike me or some shiny, intellectually adventurous thesis to emerge. I was disappointed when I found neither. Though I have long been a fan of Richard Rohr, this particular book struck me as desultory and meandering.

I'm mildly ashamed to admit my own judgmental first impressions, but I certainly thank my Creator for having nudged at my heart to keep reading. This book is full of simple wisdom, which is the only kind that ultima
The
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Richard Rohr’s Eager to Love, is a deep look at the Franciscan charism. It is good read for any time of the year but especially for Advent. The subtitle: the alternative way of Francis of Assisi briefly sums up Rohr’s experience of having tried it and found it to work. Even though he would be the first to admit he is still trying it. Nonetheless is a way of being in the world that is very attractive to many. I have long felt that we are still a pre-Christian people. We are attracted to Jesus’ wa ...more
Julianne Bigler
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
This was worth reading just to learn about Francis of Assisi and St. Clare. Overall takeaway: your faith is your love given to others, not the doctrine you confess. Love. That is what matters.

Some very beautiful gems in here. I dog-eared quite a few pages. However, there were times Rohr would open a topic or make an interesting claim, and I'd want him to expand the idea, but he would drop it.

Also, I found the "spirit talk" unhelpful and irritating. Terms like interface, transpersonal, Ground of
Ashley Nichols
There is so much that I like, respect, and appreciate about Richard Rohr. I am extremely thankful for his insight and loved a lot of what he shares and explains here. However, it took me almost two months to read this because it never struck me as a book I could just curl up with for a weekend. I sometimes struggle with Rohr's readability. BUT I wanted to finish this book and now hope to dive into the actual writings of St Francis and Clare. There is a lot that Rohr touches on in this book and I ...more
Circle of Hope Pastors
I think this is Richard Rohr's best book. In it he brings all his Franciscan passion and his great capacity to integrate into an inspiring call to live out the faith with integrity in today's world -- mindful of the past, respectful of the Bible, careful to assess one's psychology but alive in the Spirit -- and brave! This is Franciscan contemplation and action at its best -- and you don't need to know much about Francis of Assisi to get it. I have been reading Richard Rohr since he was just a f ...more
Barbara Ahlquist
I'm a fan of Richard Rohr and this book has a lot of food for thought regarding the "alternative way" that St. Francis chose in following Jesus. It's doubtful that many people today would choose that way, but it would be hard to argue that it's probably not far from the Jesus way.

My problem with the book is that it seems to be written for Franciscans or, perhaps, Catholics. At least it presupposes quite a bit of knowledge about St. Francis and I wasn't expecting that based on it's title, as wel
Elizabeth Andrew
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I have become a student of St. Francis and St. Clare through the transmission of Richard Rohr--all wise ones. EAGER TO LOVE is a sweeping introduction to Franciscan spirituality, theology, and practice. As with all of Rohr's books, it is a clear and easy read with truths profoundly difficult to grow into. A sample:

“We must bear patiently not being good…and not being thought good.” --Francis

“You only know as much as you do.” —Francis

"First learn to love your life then allow yourself to fully die
Jackie St Hilaire
"You only know as much as you do"" Francis

Francis lived on the "edge" of the church position. He didn't go against any of the teachings but lived and spoke in the poverty of the spirit. Francis was a mystic not a moralist. He lived poverty of spirit and not private perfection.

Francis had a Christo Centric World View. He was a non-dual thinker, no proving who or what he stood for.

The Church was his primary arena in which the good news could be protected and disseminated.

The living body of Christ
Matt Nixon
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Richard Rohr does it again. As someone who is tired of the polarizing, dualistic religious landscape of today, Eager to Love offers hope, offers life. Rohr beautifully shares on what it means to follow after Saint Francis. Every chapter brought new, groundbreaking ideas on how to be to connected to God, myself and the other in everyday life. If you are ready for a new kind of religion that moves beyond judgement and atonement, read this.
Larry Wood
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, inspiring and challenging ! A "must read" for anyone who wants to deepen her/his faith and find practical ways to live out their lives as Christians...or any sincere believer. It gave me a new appreciation of what it means to be a Franciscan.
Nancy
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We can always love, even when we can do nothing else. As long as we can approach everything with love, we can find the good in every situation. Richard Rohr brings the Fransican love philosophy to light.
Dave Downey
It was filled with opinions - not facts. The author needed to support his thoughts better.
John
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've ever read from a Richard Rohr and it was absolutely fantastic.

This is not a biography of Francis of Assisi, it's more of an analysis of the way he lived and how radical it was and what we can do to imitate that in our current time.

Very approachable with heavy emphasis on mysticism (which is new to me) and incredibly well-balanced. I found it inspiring, convicting, and encouraging.
Julie
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
While not a quick or easy read, a very accessible summary of the "alternative way" lived by St. Francis and enlivened today by Richard Rohr.
victoria
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Douglas  Jackson
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
A good introduction to St. Francis and others as well as the ecumenical approach of Fr. Richard. Without the biographical background, it focuses on the impacts of action based spirituality and humbly effecting change by loving from the edge-how they did it and how we can continue the tradition.

Some things I want to remember:

"The search for God and the search for the True Self are finally the same search." (8) "I am that which I am seeking." (65)

On Suffering
Suffering as when we lose control. That
Joy Lenton
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Richard Rohr is one of my favourite authors. I love his slant way of seeing, his perceptions of faith and its working out in our daily lives. Here he takes an in-depth view of a well known, beloved Christian saint and brings him to life in a refreshing way. Francis of Assisi is not only associated with a truly practical theology and a mystical way of relating to God's creation, he is also Founder-friar of the Franciscan movement to which Richard Rohr himself belongs.
Therefore it is with an insid
Jean Doane
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am inspired by Richard Rohr's clear description of the pathway to nondual, mature Christianity. His style is conversational and down to earth, as befits a follower of Francis of Assisi. Friar (Father) Richard makes the revolutionary ways of Francis and Clare accessible for the modern reader. I am struck by the fact that "third tier" contemplative faith is the same for all faith traditions. It involves realizing the sacredness of all creation, including one's own self, and seeking reunion with ...more
Helena
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I truly wish I could rate this book more highly because I think it's important, I'm glad I read it, and I love Richard Rohr. But it doesn't have the same power as the other books I've read by him. It feels almost disorganized: I know what his general points are, but the way he makes them feels roundabout.

This book is worth reading if only for the appendices, which were the most meaningful and clear part for me.

I'm very glad this wasn't my first Rohr experience because I might have skipped his ot
Francine
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book really resonated with me. I've read about St. Francis...know a bit about St. Clare but this book really refreshed my understanding of them both. In addition, it gave me some insight into what is behind the thinking and actions of Pope Francis.

Father Rohr connects so many holy people in this book...saints and biblical figures that I've seen as a direct line of individuals who demonstrated faith in their time for those of us who came later. Rohr affirmed my thinking.

There is a clear affi
  • Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal
  • Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
  • Unclean: Meditations on Purity, Hospitality, and Mortality
  • Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening
  • Making All Things New: An Invitation to the Spiritual Life
  • Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation
  • Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life
  • The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse: Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church
  • Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity Without Hierarchy
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime, Volume 1 of 3
  • God Loves Sex: An Honest Conversation about Sexual Desire and Holiness
  • Rewilding the Way: Break Free to Follow an Untamed God
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships
  • The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times
  • The Zimzum of Love: A New Way of Understanding Marriage
  • Jesus: A Pilgrimage
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
Fr. Richard Rohr is a globally recognized ecumenical teacher bearing witness to the universal awakening within Christian mysticism and the Perennial Tradition. He is a Franciscan priest of the New Mexico Province and founder of the Center for Action and Contemplation (CAC) in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fr. Richard's teaching is grounded in the Franciscan alternative orthodoxy—practices of contemplat ...more
More about Richard Rohr

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“Salvation is not a divine transaction that takes place because you are morally perfect, but much more it is an organic unfolding, a becoming who you already are, an inborn sympathy with and capacity for, the very One who created you.” 4 likes
“Jesus did not come to change the mind of God about humanity (it did not need changing)! Jesus came to change the mind of humanity about God.” 3 likes