Start by marking “You Suck: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
You Suck: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy, #2)

You Suck: A Love Story

(A Love Story #2)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  45,986 ratings  ·  2,793 reviews
Being undead sucks. Literally.

Just ask C. Thomas Flood. Waking up after a fantastic night unlike anything he's ever experienced, he discovers that his girlfriend, Jody, is a vampire. And surprise! Now he's one, too. For some couples, the whole biting-and-blood thing would have been a deal breaker. But Tommy and Jody are in love, and they vow to work through their issues.

Bu
Trade Paperback, 328 pages
Published 2008 by Harper (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about You Suck, please sign up.
Mika Hi Stephanie,

I don't know if you already started but do read the first one.

The characters follows the story to the sequel and it begins where the fi…more
Hi Stephanie,

I don't know if you already started but do read the first one.

The characters follows the story to the sequel and it begins where the first one ends. I hope this helped you.
(less)
Andrew Brooks Depends on how far in denial you are 😁. I will say yes, and I've raised half a dozen human beans, with no problems. However, I've always been mindful …moreDepends on how far in denial you are 😁. I will say yes, and I've raised half a dozen human beans, with no problems. However, I've always been mindful that the hormones that the brain creates at puberty change body AND mind.
Yes, there are a couple of sexual scenes in this book, but they are not extensive (a couple pages at most), and are more ludicrous than lascivious. Heck, you have to realize EVERY vampire story (and interest therein) involves sexual components in several ways
Like his other books, it's hilarious, but this one puts some Satyr in Satire(less)

·  45,986 ratings  ·  2,793 reviews

Start your review of You Suck: A Love Story (Vampire Trilogy, #2)
Marian Willeke
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, supernatural
First of all, I would normally never even think to read this book. But as I was looking at the clearance rack, a kid, ie teenager, approached me.

"Hey, do you like vampires?"

I was disturbed how unfazed I was with the completely random question.

"Sure." Slightly wary.

"Have you heard of Moore?"

He's a vampire now? That answers a lot of questions.

"Michael Moore?" I'm riffling books hoping he'll go away.

"No, not that crazy one, this is a Christopher Moore. He's hilarious and has his own cult started."
Lyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very funny book from Christopher Moore, this one the middle book in his vampire trilogy.

Not as outrageous or imaginative as the other two, this is still vintage Moore with his unique way of dealing with a well worn fantasy subject.

Moore may have thought of this trilogy a long time ago, and so he may not be a part of the glutted market (or he is) but not even his comedic talent can completely offset the rush to vampirism that has plagued our books for a while.

description
Amanda
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Funny, with some definitely quotable moments. However, for me, Moore's vampire series is the weakest of his work. That's not an insult--I still enjoy them and definitely snicker out loud in ways that make those around me pick up their things and stealthily move away from the crazy person, but they're a little too "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" sometimes in their humor. What impresses me with Moore is that, often among all of the wacky chaos, he can sneak up on you with a beautiful turn of phrase or ...more
Rusty
This is my first Chris Moore book. I quickly realized that this was a sequel, but I was already into the story. Why? Because Moore is fricking hilarious. This is the story of two rookie vampires (Jody and Tommy) who are doing their best to avoid the law, former friends, and giving in completely to their primal natures. And of course they need a minion. Enter Abby Normal. Her greatest struggle is trying to shove down her inherent perkiness and embrace the darkness of goth, or whatever she is. Her ...more
Bruce
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Christopher Moore. I mean, I really, really love this guy's writing. I've given his books to friends, made them required reading for classes that I've taught, and generally done everything I could to help him along.

But this one...well, the title pretty much says it all. Moore slapped together a thin plot, an ongoing lovers' quarrel, some gimmicky scenes, a major deus ex machina, and an ending that is truly lame.

When the guy is on, he is fantastic. And when he's off, well, he sucks.
Debra
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, vampires
When I picked up this book to fulfill a book club requirement, I did not know that it was the second book of a trilogy. I don't feel that I missed much. I think the Author gave enough of a backstory that I did not need to go back and read the first book. For me, it did well as a stand alone book. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. I liked it. It had some clever and funny moments. The part of the book I enjoyed most was Abby's diary entries. They were fun.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Eh
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: Steamy
Overall: Still funny
Characters: Well Written
Plot: The accidental vampire and her lover still mucking things up
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Thomas C. Flood

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I wasn’t sure when I started this one if it would live up to the first one, but as I got into it, the laughs were plentiful. Floor and Abby Normal were priceless. The hilarity of taken an accidental vampire and ho
Shannon
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Years ago, I read Lamb by Christopher Moore and loved it. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or if Moore's output is just not consistent, but I hated this book. In fact, this may actually be the worst book I've ever read. I considered quitting at several points, but with books and movies I have a need to see how they end even if I don't like them, so I trudged on.

For starters, I didn't realize right away that this book is a sequel. If this is indicated anywhere on my copy of the book, I sure
Weavre
Jun 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Blech.

I really enjoyed the last Christopher Moore novel and decided to try another, despite the fact that the plot isn't ordinarily one that would draw my attention. I picked this one because (1) it was handy on the library shelf, and (2) it was written after A Dirty Job and I thought that meant it was likely to be written at least as well.

That was a mistake. This one's going back to the library unfinished, because I'm just not wasting any more time on it. I read about a quarter of the book, in
AH

You Suck: A Love Story is a hilarious romp through San Francisco. The book focuses on Jody and Tommy, two new fledgling vampires and their rather unconventional love. Jody bites Tommy and makes him a vampire. He is not too happy with his new condition, but is easily distracted by Jody and the allure of wild monkey sex with her.

Christopher Moore’s vampires have interesting powers. They can turn to mist when necessary, which helps them get out of trouble (or causes trouble). They burn i
Will Byrnes
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy-satire
This is a laugh-out-loud novel in which vampirism meets slacker youth in San Francisco. The opening line is a classic “You bitch, you killed me! You suck!” Young Tommy Flood awakes to find that his girlfriend, Jodi, has killed him, with her bite transforming him into a creature of the night. She wanted company and the old guy who turned her only a few months back was not to her liking. He had not been able to do much about it, having been attacked, robbed and ultimately bronzed by Tommy and his ...more
Howard
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Howard by: Marian Willeke
I gave this book a five star rating because it sucked me in so hard that I stayed up all night to read it, cover to cover. I read slowly, so this is pretty intense. As the book introduces a newly converted vampire Tommy Flood, I can't help but think that this is how I would probably behave if I were suddenly transformed - that is, curious, clumsy, and full of desire for mad vampire sex. What I probably wouldn't accomplish as well as the Dark Lord Flood is the dry wit and wise cracks, which make ...more
Chris M.
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christopher Moore fans
I was expecting more from this book since Moore wrote it after Dirty Job. But, where Dirty Job was nicely crafted, well-paced, and original, You Suck was not quite the same. It is certainly an original take on a story that's been told over and over again. Vampires are not original but Moore does add some nice texture and moral complexity to the creatures. Unfortunately, I found the pacing awkward.

Moore switches back and forth from third person narrative to first person through the conceit of ha
Aaron
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ex-Goths living in SF (most of my friends?)
A hugely entertaining lightweight page turner about modern day vampires living in SF. A cast of very likable characters kept me thoroughly captivated. This is especially true of one Abby Normal, 16 year old goth girl, minion to The Vampire Flood, and part time narrator through her diary entries like this:

Chapter 16: Being the Chronicles of One Abby Normal, Completely Fucked Servant of The Vampire Flood.

OMFG! W00T!! I have failed. Left my duty undone, like so much dog poop on the blooming sidewa
Shelli
I started this and thought "Really? This is dumb." Then I looked up my friend's reviews and was like…"Hmmmm, they seem to like it." It was a challenge book for me, so I decided to keep on…hoping it would get tolerable at least. As I got further, I found that I was more interested….had a few chuckles. I started thinking…"Oh yeah, I remember these characters…they are quite funny." By 80%……I was LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!! Too funny. Christopher Moore you crack me up! Abby Normal is "the bomb!" Not quite ...more
Kara Babcock
Wing Kee
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One really amazing new character, and one really not balances this second book out.

World: The world buildling is fun, from the insane premise to the rules and the characters that inhabit this weird crazy slice of San Francisco it’s a hoot. Everytime I read Moore’s book I think of Hiaasen who has the same knack for setting an absurd and hilarious stage for his characters to wander around in. This time around it’s a direct sequel so the pieces of the world are all there, there is a slight expansio
Jeff
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are many distinct umbrages I would like to take with Christopher Moore in general and this book in particular. However, I realize the problem here is more with me than it is with Moore. Like most of his work, "You Suck" is an outlandish, mildly entertaining story within a story that references previous books and resurrects old characters. Unfortunately, I simply do not have the ability to retain much of what Moore writes in my head for more than a few minutes. I finished reading this book ...more
Frank
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
YOU SUCK Christopher Moore. Actually, you're okay. The book YOU SUCK was okay too. Not great, not awful. Okay. This is my second foray into Christopher Moore and as with the first go around, I found myself fighting to care about the story. I knew this was book two of the series but I was assured by many folks it would not matter to read this first. It seemed most backstory was provided so I don't think that's where the disconnect started.

I can't place my finger on what the disconnect is, either.
C.T. Phipps
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
I enjoyed this installment of A Love Story more than I did BLOODSUCKING FIENDS. I suppose because this didn't contain a "comedic" scene about consent. In this case, the tone is also much more consistently black humor. Our protagonists are now both vampires and bodies start dropping around them constantly with a blue-skinned hooker, a returned ancient vampire fresh from being bronzed, and really bad self-control from our antiheroes. The real gem of the book, though, is Allison a.k.a Abby Normal t ...more
Caroline Åsgård
I didn't think this book was that good. The first book was funny, but the jokes in this just got too juvenile, I think. The characters just aren't interesting.
Like the first book, it is very slow paced for the most of it, and then ''the big battle'' at the end goes over pretty quickly. And again it cuts between different characters way too fast.
You don't have to read the first book to read this one, as everything is explained.
Rat-A-Tat-Tatter
Didn't suck.
Sara Hemenway
So.

This book.

I read the first one in this trilogy, Bloodsucking Fiends, probably in 8th grade or freshman year of high school. At the time, it felt edgy, and I felt a little naughty reading it. Most of all, it was funny. Sometimes a little ridiculous, but quite entertaining. After re-reading it last month, it still mostly holds up that way for me. It's a quick, fun read.

This, however, was... less fun.

I think one of the worst things about it is that the first book was published in the latter half
Lisa
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so funny that I kept cracking-up listening to this audiobook while walking the dog. Love it!
Dez Nemec
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Well that was certainly a different vampire book. I was expecting more humor, but it was pretty good. The ending definitely pushed it over into 3 stars. GREAT ending.
Sana Zameer
3.5 Stars

I thought this was better than the first book in A Love Story Trilogy. It's still full of cliches and satirical humor I enjoyed Moore's writing in this. The characters were better developed and for me Abby Normal made a good difference. Her parts were the best ones in the book.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sporadically funny, disjointed vampires-in-love story, that almost stands alone from it's prequel, Bloodsucking Fiends. Jody and Tommy are young, new vampires, just trying to make things work. But life is so complicated when you're vampires! Just figuring out who to have for dinner can be a chore!

First of all, they need a minion (okay, I loved the minion, Abby Normal) to do their daytime errands, like getting them a new apartment. They have to move, because Tommy's old gang at work has learned
Anna
May 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. There was a rape that happened (and it was played for laughs) on page 2. I tried to keep reading but I couldn't stop thinking about that situation and how it was dealt with by the main characters. I just couldn't keep reading beyond page 37.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, vampire love.

You know, I'm a lot fonder of this in retrospect, just because I'm sick to death of all the paranormal romances that don't have any humor to them.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Originally published on my book blog, TheBibliophage.com.

You Suck from Christopher Moore is the second in a trilogy called “A Love Story.” In book one, called Bloodsucking Fiends, a young woman, Jody Stroud, unexpectedly and unwillingly becomes a vampire. She then must figure out the particulars of the undead existence by herself.

As she’s floundering, Jody meets Tommy—or C. Thomas Flood, as he likes to say. Tommy’s a young Indiana-born, recent transplant to San Francisco, and he helps her during
Madison Mega-Mara...: You Suck by Christopher Moore 3 8 Sep 18, 2013 08:28AM

• Monster
  • Villa Incognito
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • Tourist Season
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Native Tongue (Skink #2)
  • Death: A Life
  • More Napalm and Silly Putty
  • Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates
  • Lucky You
  • Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas
  • Naked Came the Florida Man (Serge A. Storms #23)
  • Caduti dal muro
  • J.A.S.T. Just another spy tale
  • Il borghese Pellegrino

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums

A Love Story (3 books)
  • Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)
  • Bite Me (A Love Story, #3)