Start by marking “The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep

The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Do you struggle with getting your child to fall asleep?
In " The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep " you will follow Roger The Rabbit when he gets help from Uncle Yawn and other friends to fall asleep in the evening. Your child is quickly compelled by the story and falls asleep when you read it or after. The story is in a lovely way sleep-inducing and helps children all ove
Published April 8th 2014 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published November 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep, please sign up.
Ashley yes, the book helped my three year old fall asleep on the first night, then again the second night. the third night he didn't want to read it because…moreyes, the book helped my three year old fall asleep on the first night, then again the second night. the third night he didn't want to read it because he wised-up that it made him "sleepy". we call it the "sleepy story" and after a few days without reading it, he asked for it again last night and promptly fell asleep. I read and followed all the author's "directions" and i find it fascinating that my son really listens to the exact words in the story that encourage him to go to sleep now. he says "ok mamma" and closes his eyes, relaxes (or "belax" as he says) his body. he's so innocent, it's adorable.(less)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Although there is a slew of negative feedback for this one, I honestly don’t find this book to be entirely ineffective. My six year old daughter often has trouble falling asleep at night, and reading this book seems to do a fine job in calming her and aiding her off to dreamland.

Please note: this works on my 39-year old husband who’s pretty much snoring away before I’ve finished the intro. (Also note: he could fall asleep to the sound of explosions.)

This story begins with a rabbit who wants to
Tom Franklin
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Granted, I did not read this to a child in an attempt to get them to go to sleep. However, I did read this book.

And I found it to be creepy. Creepy a that sort of hypnotically, mind-controlling manipulating way that made me feel uneasy and unwilling to subject a child to this sort of thing.

The story is dull and poorly told. The 'secret' behind this book is the guided spoken inflections and emphasis points that Ehrlin has throughout the book. This sort of structured reading is supposed to lull a
Amanda
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
What a weird book. I get the concept of it. I'm a fan of self-hypnosis and have used it in the births of my three children with success. (Trust me, I was always aware I was fricking in labor, but I kept calm and was able to birth medication-free.) I thought this might be a nice way to help my kids relax and fall asleep.

As it turns out, it's a super boring book that's just bizarre, and it only sorta kinda worked on one kid.

First of all, the marketing of it turned me off. Why not just say it's hyp
Lynn
Dec 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Good idea, but creepy, amateurish illustrations and a narratively clumsy, un-story-like text make this a big NO for me. As both a psychologist and a children's book collector, I can say that Yes, some of the words of the book might help induce sleep, as the author is basically using instructions similar to those used in relaxation exercises and hypnotic state inductions. But this could have been so much better done, and it HAS been better done. Check the Chinaberry Childrens book catalogue or th ...more
Teddi
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I bought the e-Book and the audiobook versions. My 3 year old couldn't care less but my 7 year old, who is very difficult for me to get to sleep, requests the audiobook nightly and enjoys falling asleep to it. I'd recommend the audiobook because I find the book tedious for *me* to read out loud every night.

Edited: 1 month in and my 7 year old was asleep within 13 minutes for the audiobook.
Louise George
Sep 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Found the story long and tedious and the illustrations a bit creepy. Tried a few times to see if it would help shorten bedtime but both girls disliked it and kept shouting "stop, Mummy!" whenever I tried to read it. Opinions I've heard on this book seem to be quite polarised - I would describe it as a Marmite book - you either love it or hate it. Sadly we are in the latter category.
Chumofchance
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant.
Ehrlin's commentary on modern parent's coercive tendencies is both chilling and broadly satirical. Here there is rather disturbing narrative exposing the way parents routinely insult their children's intelligence, and in doing so show their own intellectual limitations. In the most real way possible, 'The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep' reveals to us the hellscape of childhood, where children are stripped of all agency even over their own emotions and mental states, and forced
Marya
Nov 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Wow this is awful. The pictures are ok, but the text is long and chunky and full of crazy typography with seemingly random words put in bold or italics. I know this was not written in English originally, but this translation looks like something even Google translate could top. Sentences lurch from past to present and from one subject to two subjects and from fragments to run-ons and all of it is mixed in with just plain old fashioned it doesn't sound like a native speaker expressions.

I can gue
Markku Kesti
Kirjan idea on hokea painokkaasti olet väsynyt, sinua nukuttaa, nukahdat, rauhoitu, hidasta vauhtia, nukahdat...

Ymmärrän idean ja tiedän kolmen sisaren isona veljenä, että joskus tärkeintä on saada ne sietämättömät riiviöt vain nukahtamaan, mutta käyttäkää mieluummin vaikka halkoa. Tai sitokaa ne riiviöt sänkyyn ja tunkekaa kloroformiriepu naaman ympärille. Antakaa niille mieluummin vaikka suonensisäisiä huumeita, mutta älkää opettako, että kirja on tylsä ja että sitä lukemalla nukahtaa.

Molemma
Rabia  Emine Akkök
Minnoşların uyuması konusunda hala işe yarayıp yaramadığını anlayamadığım, uyku yardımcısı kitap.
Maria
Mar 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Denne funket riktignok på min samboer(!), men var helt grusom å lese. Fysj!
Gerard Villegas
I'm suffering from insomnia and obviously I don't want to be addicted to prescription sleeping pills so what's a guy like me to do? Well read The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep which guarantees that all children will fall asleep after reading it. Therefore, I did. I read through this God-awful book and fell asleep from this stupid drawn-out plot and the creepfest drawings that is sure to keep me awake at night now! Thank you Mr. Ehrlin!

Once again whoever thought publishing this to an mainstream
Anna Nesterovich
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Scrolling down the book's page on Goodreads I found that first several reviews start with a word 'creepy', and I totally agree! This 'new way of getting children to sleep' consists of reading incredibly boring stories with repetitive phrases meant to hypnotize the kid. The foreword says that if it didn't work the first time, just read it again. Great, just read an incredibly boring story several times and, bingo, the kid is asleep!

In my world, the bed time is the time for imagination, for intere
Tortla
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, chidderbooks
The italicized soft-sleepy voice and repeated yawns and inclusions of the name of the child's name just struck me as...transparently manipulative. Which I guess is not problematic when you're desperately trying to get your kid to go to sleep.

But how exactly do those repeated "now"s come across as anything but jolting demands??
KatRi
Feb 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ei toiminut 2-vuotiaalle, enkä itse pitänyt tarinan sävyistä. Paikoin myös vähän liian pelottava juuri 2 vuotta täyttäneelle.
Zuzana
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detska-kniha
nekupila som to s cielom uspat deti,no teraz som presvedcena bybto mozno aj dokazala,lebo to je takaaaaaaa nudaaaaa.... pribeh nula bodov styl pisanie nula bodov..tie "hypnoticke" vsuvky su otras...no pre mna vyhodene peniaze
Kornet
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyssnade på den här. Somnade inte, skandal! Men 100% mys. Riktigt konstiga betoningar... :)
James Littlejohn
Mar 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Who named Roger Rabbit?

The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep is an unusual book for children designed to help them fall asleep. It will also make you want to be put to sleep.

Slogging through this creepy, repetitive story is at its best like watching an ineffective hypnotist. At its worst, it's like being stabbed in the head.

Besides the plot, prose, artwork and pacing, one of the biggest problems I had with the book is the protagonist's name: Roger. Roger the Rabbit? Really?? The author couldn't
DaViD´82
Uniká mi v čem je ona proklamovaná "přelomovost". Pracuje to pouze s všem rodičům (pokud dětem čtou) dobře známými triky, které během několika málo čtení sami vypozorují; tedy opakování stejných slov, postupné ztišování a zpomalování projevu, klidný přednes, zívání do čtení apod. Tady je to navíc napsáno kostrbatým jazykem (těžko říci, zda je to chyba překladu či originálu) čili to nejde "dobře do úst" při čtení nahlas.

Každopádně je to tak moc nudné, že nikdy nezjistíte, zda to opravdu funguj
Melissa Bennrup
Aug 17, 2015 added it
Shelves: alex
Allowing for the fact that the book is not primarily a bedtime story in the usual sense, this was the most soul destroying way of ruining the bedtime story experience I have yet come across. Having picked a night when my toddler was very tired, by the end of the story he was still awake whilst I was nearly comotose with boredom. Whether it was due to clumsy translation or necessary hypnotic style it was extremely awkward and mind numbingly boring to read. Although my son did ask for the rabbit ...more
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really wish this book was real. I guess I knew the moment I read it that there is no possible way a random book can guarantee a sleep, but as any desperate parent would and does I snapped it up.

It does almost put me to sleep (if my child wasn't screaming next to me) with all the planned pauses, yawns and word repetition which I totally see how its expected to work, but along with I imagine very many other families, my child simply doesn't enjoy the story so begins fussing pretty much immediate
El Buscalibros | elbuscalibros.com
Que un niño no se duerma es un mal mayor. Neurológicamente entendemos que puede ser un problema de cara a su desarrollo, que necesita procesar en el sueño todo lo aprendido durante el día, para acabar estableciendo las conexiones necesarias que hagan de eso vivido un aprendizaje duradero. Pero, afectivamente, el contratiempo adquiere tintes dramáticos, porque aunque el niño no lo contemple como una desgracia, y perciba que la vida es más interesante lejos de los brazos de Morfeo, los que lo rode ...more
Panait Nicoleta
O carte pe care am achiziționat o când am văzut cât de lăudata este.
Am început sa i-o citesc când avea câteva luni,dar nu adormea...așa ca am renunțat la ea și am revenit când piciul avea 1an și 9 luni...
De 2 luni i-o citesc atât la somnul de prânz cât și de cel de seara și nu vrea sa asculte alta carte,dacă ii citesc alta carte ,se ridica in funduleț și mi indica locul unde se afla aceasta.
I-am dat 4.5 *datorită desenelor...eu vreau desenele sa fie cât mai apropiate de realitate(mă deranjează c
Tessa
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eihän tämä kielellisesti tai tarinaltaan ole kovin kummoinen, mutta toimii hyvin. Neljä kertaa olen tämän lukenut meidän 3-vuotiaille iltasaduksi, ja niistä kolme kertaa ovat nukahtaneet kesken kirjan ja yhdesti melko pian lukemisen loputtua. Minkään muun iltasadun kanssa ei ole tapahtunut vastaavaa. Suosittelen!
natycuac
Le pongo tres estrellas porq lo encuentro increíble pero a la vez no me gustó xD. Es tan malditamente efectivo, pero a la vez, como historia, está tan mal desarrollada, que uno se queda en la duda de cómo opinar al respecto. Si de verdad quiere aplicarlo, compre el audiolibro y no se arruine la cabeza tratando de leer esta cuestión.
Marybeth Trzebiatowski
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The word and vowel sound repetition is hypnotic and helps my four-year-old son wind down enough to go to sleep. Yes, the story is terrible and the grammar is worse but it does what it says on the tin and helps induce a calmer state of mind so my kiddo (and I) can get some rest.
Suvi
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibby2016
No joo, Markku on omassa arvostelussaan tiivistetysti kertonutkin kaiken oleellisen kirjasta. Kirjaihmisenä häiritsee erityisesti se, että lapselle opetetaan, että kirjat on tylsiä ja unettavia. Ja kuka ihme tätä jaksaa lukea monena iltana?
Lisa
Aug 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
Haven't yet read this, but plan to. Sounds like a perfect companion book (for children) to include in a family gift pack containing also Go the F*ck to Sleep (for the parents).
Jennifer Holden
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-oliver
Language wise It's a bit awkward to read - almost as if it's a bad translation. I can see how it works though. There's lots of repetition and directed relaxation.
Kate Ditzler
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tedious to read, but reinforces all the relaxation techniques I was trying to teach my daughter before the book came along. I think that's why it's effective for her.
audio version - saving sanity 1 3 May 04, 2016 07:45AM
  • I Wonder
  • Harris Finds His Feet
  • What's Happening to Me? (Girls Edition)
  • Don't Worry, Douglas!
  • Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad
  • Library Mouse: Home Sweet Home (Library Mouse, #5)
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • What Makes a Baby
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3: Planet of the Pies (with audio recording)
  • A House in the Woods
  • The Very Worst Thing
  • Toot
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Grumpy Cat
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • Becoming Brilliant: What Science Tells Us about Raising Successful Children
  • Please, Mr. Panda
  • Birth, Breath, and Death: Meditations on Motherhood, Chaplaincy, and Life as a Doula
Carl-Johan Forssén Ehrlin is a Swedish author who wrote the bestselling children's book The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep, written to help parents to get their child to fall asleep. Forssén Ehrlin has a background in psychology which helped him while writing the book. The rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep has topped Amazon’s best seller list.
More about Carl-Johan Forssén Ehrlin