Start by marking “The Spyglass: A Book About Faith” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Spyglass: A Book A...

Richard Paul Evans

The Spyglass: A Book About Faith

There once was a king who ruled over a darkened kingdom. Crops were planted and then failed, houses were built and then neglected, people were impoverished and dispirited. But when a traveler arrives at the crumbling palace, he shows the monarch his kingdom through the lens of an enchanted spyglass -- a spyglass that shows him his kingdom not as it is, but as it could be. ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Aladdin (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Spyglass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spyglass

Noell
Feb 03, 2017 Noell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible and teeters on the edge of prosperity gospel theology. The language was forced, the whole idea was forced. There are so many better children's books that explore faith without being heavy handed and pushy. Pass this one baby!
Lyle Willey

• 2.8
• Lexile Measure: NA
• Fountas & Pinnell Guided Reading Level: NA

Brief description
A wise, elderly visitor finds shelter for the night in the castle of a king who has long lost his sense of purpose and vision for greatness for his kingdom. When presented with a magic spyglass that allows him to see the possibilities of what cou
Dani Stephens
The Spyglass is not one of my favorite books though I do understand the importance of the story. It is a story of faith and the author does a great job of providing a vivid beginning and a vivid end. The beginning starts with a kingdom and a king who have nothing the kingdom has fallen apart and there is really nothing that seems to be worthy of the king maintaining the land. By the end of the story the kingdom and the land became very prosperous, all because of one stray visitor and his spyglas ...more
MissDziura
Feb 02, 2010 MissDziura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Spyglass is a Virtues award winning book and geared towards younger readers, although the text is clearly written more for older readers. I assumed that this book might be added to a family collection that can be read to young readers by their parents. There was quite a bit of symbolism in the illustrations in that they all began very dark to illustrate the depression of the kingdom but then became brighter as their faith increased. The story was a basic fairy tale that told of a poor kingdo ...more
Maan
Dec 08, 2011 Maan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely picture / children's book. Loved the oil paintings. The story is simple yet poignant.

Favorite Lines:

"Change requires work. But one must first see before doing."

"You have seen what might be," said the king. "Now make it so."

The king shook his head in disbelief. "How can this be? Faith is foolishness." "So says the fool," the old man said. "Faith is the beginning of all journeys. It is by faith that the seed is planted. It is by faith that the foundation is dug. It is by faith that eac
Lindy
Upper Elementary # 15 - A kingdom is in ruins, and its people are poor and its king is embarrassed of his castle. One day an old man arrives. In exchange for lodging and food, he tells the king he will show him why his kingdom is failing. True to his word, the old man takes the king out and shows him his land through a spyglass. The king sees bountiful fields and beautiful gardens. The man tells the king, "you have seen it, so go and make it so." The king takes the spyglass to the villagers and ...more
Lindy
Upper Elementary - A kingdom is in ruins, and its people are poor and its king is embarrassed of his castle. One day an old man arrives. In exchange for lodging and food, he tells the king he will show him why his kingdom is failing. True to his word, the old man takes the king out and shows him his land through a spyglass. The king sees bountiful fields and beautiful gardens. The man tells the king, "you have seen it, so go and make it so." The king takes the spyglass to the villagers and shows ...more
Rebekah
Sep 30, 2014 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the four books I read in class, this one is my all time favorite. I loved the pictures, and the story line. I really love reading what Richard Paul Evans writes. I have really enjoyed the other books he wrote, and I knew this would be as equally good. I loved how the old man showed the King what his kingdom could be like. In turn, the King showed everyone in his kingdom what they could do, by looking through the spyglass.
It is an amazing story about what people can do if they just have faith
Sheri
May 26, 2008 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kids
I was a little unsure how to rate this one. This is supposed to be a children's book, but the wording and such read like a book for adults - at least in my opinion. Anyway, really great book with a wonderful message. And maybe I should give kids more credit for what they can understand. My 6-year-old daughter sat and listened to the whole thing and said she liked it when I was done. I just read the whole thing wondering if she had any clue what it was talking about. I loved it, just not sure if ...more
Reanna Tuft
I read this to my kids and found myself skipping some of the words because they were some that even I didn't know. I was hoping this book would be an easier story to read to my children on faith but it's not. My kids are age 7 & younger so I wouldn't recommend for this age group maybe for a tween and older. The illistrations didn't even keep them entertained, I found them pretty boring myself. This book was just "ok"
Darcie
Jun 03, 2008 Darcie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first found out about this book during a church talk from the Mission Presidents wife. It is a childrens book and the message of the story is sweet and priceless. The illustrations are amazing. My children love sitting down and reading this book. My one son loves this book so much he was searching for his own spyglass and I finally found one for him. He refers to it as his treasure. A must for every home!
Greta
Mar 13, 2014 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always looking for books for my children that teach good values as part of the story. I am grateful to have stumbled upon Richard Paul Evans "Virtues Collection" at the library. I found this book much more interesting reading than "The Tower", one of the other two books in the collection, and key to the success of the teaching in this book is a focus on the principle that faith without works is dead. Four and a half stars.
Kendall Brown
Jan 27, 2014 Kendall Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
This book impressed me with the pictures. The book was a little long for kids and had a high vocabulary but overall the moral of the story was really good. It did tell a very good lesson that everything has beauty and that when you want something you have to work for it. I gave this book three stars for the long story and the high vocabulary.
Mattie Green
Sep 29, 2015 Mattie Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite. Teaches that hope and vision is one of the most influential things someone may possess, that the rich and poor alike are in need of it, and that you must find it within yourself.
Skruse08
Jan 30, 2014 Skruse08 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
A wonderful and inspiring story that teaches children the value of perspective, had work, and faith. Complete with beautiful illustrations, this book is perfect for elementary, home libraries, and even church.
Mary Feliciani
Apr 01, 2016 Mary Feliciani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another children's book with meaning. Some see this book as being about faith. I see it as having a positive outlook, or having a vision for a better world and working towards it. I like this book so much that I wish I had written it.
Spencer
Feb 03, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
This book had a great moral to it. The story was a little longer than the other picture books but it was totally worth it. The illustrations were well done. The story has a happy great ending. It was for sure my favorite of the other picture books.
Erin
Oct 22, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-fantasy
This was an excellent book with a very good message. It is definitely for older children. It is longer, with many words per page and quite a few pages. It has good meaning and there is a lot to be learned from it.
Linda
Sep 24, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My parents gave this to my daughter (who loves to read) for her 7th birthday. She brought it home and read it and said to me (and I quote), "Mom, this book was SO good". So there you have it!

Beautiful pictures and good message.
Charles Perkins
Jan 31, 2014 Charles Perkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
Really good book, with a really good story. This book really makes you think about self-perception and your belief in yourself. This book would help students who have low self-esteem to believe in their own potential.
Judith
Aug 22, 2008 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes you think of what life really looks like and how we preceive it. I try to look on the positive side but negatives pop in so this is a good book to think of to stay on the straight and narrow path. Even for adults.
Marilyn
Jul 10, 2008 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a picture book. It really is wonderful. I bought it for my elementary school library and it is well placed. If you have children, go to the library and check this out.
Camille Robison
Nov 06, 2010 Camille Robison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Camille by: Bishop Meyers
We read this book as a lesson in Sunday School. It has a good concept. This author writes all kinds of things, always with a positive message.
Olivia
Oct 23, 2013 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, children
This book is interesting and teaches a good lesson about faith. It is just long enough to make the point and not longer. The illustrations are gorgeous and surprisingly realistic.
Alicia Acosta
Aug 09, 2015 Alicia Acosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just inspiring and I love the art work, I love the story and the meaning of the message. If you want to read a short but inspiring book, then read the spyglass.
Kara
Dec 22, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uplifting
This is a great book with wonderful pictures. It has a good meaning to it that gets you to spot and think about the things going on in your life and how you can change it for the better
Jo-Ann
Sep 14, 2009 Jo-Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one to my daughter as a night time story. I loved it.
It teaches the importance of keeping your faith to strive in life.
I definitely recommend this book.
Tessa
May 06, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
This was a quality book with quality illustrations. There was some element lacking to make it truly great and I can't put my finger on it BUT a wortwhile read that we truly enjoyed.
Andrea Woods
Andrea Woods rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2008
  • Daughter of a King
  • Just the Way You Are
  • I Am a Child of God
  • Penny's Christmas Jar Miracle
  • Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter
  • The Magic Nesting Doll
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • You Are Priceless: The Parable of the Bicycle
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Charlie's Monument
  • God's Dream
  • Broken Things to Mend
  • Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...