Start by marking “Dirt on My Shirt” as Want to Read:
Dirt on My Shirt

Dirt on My Shirt

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  441 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews

In this hilarious collection of poems, comedian Jeff Foxworthy creates a neighborhood filled with fun, family, friends, and more. Here you'll meet Cousin Lizzy, Uncle Ed and Aunt Foo Foo, cows with horns that don't go beep, dads in sweaters, also sheep. From the thrill of flying to the imaginary planet Woosocket to bonding with a friend over a shared hatred of spinach, th

Published February 26th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dirt on My Shirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirt on My Shirt

(NS) - Heather Hayman
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I have to admit that when I picked up this book, I thought that I would not be impressed by a comedian who can write poetry. Well, I was shocked as I kept my eyes glued to each page. This book is fantastic and is bound to crack anyone up. Comedian Jeff Foxworthy creates an entire neighborhood filled with fun, friends, and more. The brief poems that can be read by primary age children cover familiar topics, such as bubble baths and balloons on the escape. The fun illustrations simply add to the c ...more
Tawanda
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dirt on My Shirt is a primary book that is for readers five to eight years old. It is a book of poetry. The book has a varied selection of poetry for children to enjoy. The poetry deals with family and some other things in life that interest children. I gave the book 4 stars because I feel that is would be a very enjoyable book for children to read. It is an easy read for children. The book is a level 2 reading book which means that the book has engaging stories, longer sentences and language pl ...more
Alison
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great for poetry reading in the class! Catchy poems for seasons and children ages 4-9. Great simple illustrations to go along with each poem make it a great read aloud for a classroom!
Kristina
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought that was a cute book. my 3 kids enjoyed this book also. I actually liked all of the poems as well. I would recommend this book to others.
Janina
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-350
Cute book of funny poems and illustrations. This book has many wonderfully funny poems for kids about everything from family members to animals. Great read for kids and a great way yo introduce kids to poems.
Betsie Johnson
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
POETRY
Dirt on My Shirt is a great collection of poems by Jeff Foxworthy, and illustrated by Steve Bjorkman. There are short poems, rhyming poems, repetitive poems, and story poems. There is not one specific theme, which is why I liked it. There are poems about the outdoors, animals, family, and friends. The illustrations go really well with the poems. One of my favorite poems in the book is called "Spare Hair":
"Salamander sitting there
Salamander has no hair
His friend the bear has hair to spare
Bu
Deanna Vaughn
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of poetry by Jeff Foxworthy and illustrated by Steve Bjorkman. This is a very cute and funny collection of poetry for children to enjoy. There are poems about fun things kids do, nature, and friends, cousins, uncles, aunts, and grandma of course. I didn't realize that Jeff Foxworthy has written over twenty books, and honestly didn't expect this one to be very good. However I was very surprised by his witty poetry. I think children would really enjoy reading this and relating ...more
Alice
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I usually cringe when I read children's books written by celebrities (everyone thinks they can write a book...) and they sell not because they are necessarily good, but because the celebrity wrote the book. However, I really liked this book. It has that red neck Jeff Foxworthy flair, but it shows some real skill and intelligence to write these poems. The cadence and tempo of each poem are different...it isn't all Jeff is fat, Jeff sat, Jeff is a cat. There is a lot more depth and interests in th ...more
Jessica Davis
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book "Dirt on My Shirt" by Jeff Foxworthy is a Poetry book intended for ages 4-8.

This book is a poetry book filled with various types of poems, rhyming, short, repetitive, etc. All the poems relate to children either by friendships, family ad childhood imagination. I gave this book 4 stars because it is colorful, the illustrations were great, and had funny poems that related to children's everyday life. I feel this book would definitely be appealing to young children because of the colorful
Caryn
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children learning about poetry
Shelves: picture-books

I really enjoyed his poems! Some were really short, and others longer, but they were all good. I loved the artwork, which surprisingly wasn't mainly country/western, and neither were the themes of most of his poetry.

I enjoyed the child-like simplicity of the topics of his poems, and it brings you back to remembrances of your childhood and how you used to be!

Children who are learning to write poetry or even just learning to LIKE it would benefit from this book, because it is an easy read and ver
Cindy
"In his bestselling picture book Dirt on My Shirt, Jeff Foxworthy warmed the hearts of kids both big and little. Now, in this I Can Read edition, poems have been hand selected for beginning readers to enjoy. From meeting Auntie Brooke and Uncle Keith to searching for tadpoles and snakes, young readers will love discovering Jeff's vibrant neighborhood all for themselves.

Filled to the brim with hilarious poems and beautiful art, this book is the perfect addition to any I Can Read library!" Amazon
T
Falan Miller
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read the book "Dirt on my Shirt" by Jeff Foxworthy. It is a book filled with lots of little poems. The poems vary from goofy random ones about hide and seek to grandparents and being scared in the dark. The illustrations are really cute and silly! They go with the poems very well. The book expresses a lot of different things from, friends, how to not be scared, or just gives you a laugh.

I didn't really like this book. I loved the silly illustrations, but the poems were all over the place.

I w
Darlene
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
genre - nonfiction - poetry

reading level - 1st and 2nd grade

topics and themes - funny collection of poems

curricula use - guided reading and independent, would also use as read aloud for K

social - use to enjoy funny rhymes

literary elements - imagery, rhymes

text and pictures - the pictures are directly connected to the text

summary - This book is a good book of several poems. Most of the poems look similar, there are a few that have more than 1 stanza. This would be a good book to use for introduc
 Dena
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reading Level: 1st - 4th grade
This is a collection of fun poems by Jeff Foxworthy. Some of the poems are about common things related to kids such as getting dirty, losing your hat, and "are we there yet?" My favorite was Lost Hat. There are also some about kids and animals and/or pets, friends, nature, and extended family. My other favorites were "Noises" and "In the Night." The illustrations for each poem are a great added bonus and just as fun as the poems themselves. This is one that kids are
Chantel
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
*I'm reading a couple of these poems to the kids every night while they're getting their pjs on. The poems are sweet and gentle and they frequently make us chuckle.

*Now that I've finished reading "Dirt on My Shirt" I've found that some of the poetry is uneven. (I don't think that "Benny" and "skinny" rhyme). Sometimes the meter is a little off. Still, there are some cute poems. Here's an example...

"My Uncle Moe has a big mustache
It's bushy as can be
When he stands up straight and tall
He looks ju
Scarlet
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
From friends to family this book covers a wide range of people and even a frog. With 32 pages of poems Jeff Foxworthy makes you laugh while reading a book of poems just as much as he does when you listen to him on the radio. Where do balloons go? What happened to a tadpole? Why is it so much fun to play in leaves and mud. All of these questions are asked and answered in the book.

Although I can't think of a lesson that you could teach with the book I can tell you that for just pure enjoyment chi
Shannon Stinnette
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I thought this book was a fun poetry book. The collection of poems range from poems about family, friends, summer days, a lost hat and even a staring contest. Mr. Foxworthy has taken simple events from childhood and used an array of sensory language to evoke emotion and meaning. I feel children will find the collections humorous and meaningful. Most of the poems are very short, often only 4 lines and each contain rhymes. There are two poems that would be useful in the classroom to teach onomatop ...more
Crys
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
This is a book of short rhyming poems. Each poem is a page in the book for a total of 16. I was skeptical about this book since Jeff Foxworthy is a comedian. Each poem was short and to the point. I even giggled reading them to my childrenn. This is a stage 2 primary appropriate reading book. Each page looks as if they are watercolored and colorful with contrast to make realistic images along with a textured look. I would read this book over again to enjoy a good giggle. The grandma poem being my ...more
Kaitlin
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
What I liked about this poetry book is it's very kid friendly and humorous. This is a book than many readers could enjoy and understand. The best part of this book is the poems are very relatable to children. This is great because it brings in good conversation and good topics students can respond to through writing. This is a book teachers could read aloud to the class or it could be in the classroom library for students to enjoy during independent reading. I would recommend this book to other ...more
Heather Brownlee
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised to see Jeff Foxworthy writing a poetry book for children. I was intrigued and glad I decided to read it. A hilarious book of poems that have random story-lines. The poems go all over and seem like the random thoughts of a child, but they are fun and short. I enjoyed the poem Making Friends, it was very sweet and still a bit silly. The story of two friends who like to make stuff.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Genre: Poetry
Grade Level: PreK-2
Grade Level Equivalent:2.3
Guided Reading: M

Dirt on My Shirt is a fun filled poetry book that can either be read as a read aloud or independently by older children. The book has short poems on every page, sometimes two to a page. The pictures are visually stimulating that every child would like.
Nick
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of the poems in this little collection are great, as are the illustrations. A few of them, though, are just not up to that level of quality. Some are hilarious, while others are just clunky doggerel. When you compare these to Silverstein or Prelutsky, they don't measure up. Also, the message in a few of the poems may not be quite what he intended. For instance, one poem on friendship says that friends can be all shapes and sizes, but have to have the same opinions. Huh?
Katie Curry
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
This hilarious book by Jeff Foxworthy is a collection of poems that will keep you and especially your students entertained.
I would use this book to introduce poetry and how it isn't just serious, but can be funny as well. I would also use this book to read a few of the poems out of for enjoyment and leisure reading time.
Angela Silvas
This is a book of poems that allows the students to create mental images and visualize what they are reading/listening to. This books has a variety of poems that students can make connections make it memorable to them. All people can relate or make a connection to at least a couple of the poems that range from Auntie Brooke who's a cook to the Dirt on My Shirt.
Romanaus Elangwe
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poem
Jeff Foxworthy (Born in 1958 in California and still lives in California)

Jeff and the illustrator, Steve Bjorkman are humorous people. The pictures and paintings on the cover and each page of the book make stories.

POEM: True Love

Cows have horns that don't go deep
Dads have sweaters, so do sheep
Turtles have tails that they can't see
I have you and you have me.
Karla
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book of poetry by Jeff Foxworthy, this was a respectable celebrity addition. The poems deal with the small everyday things kids experience, dirt, pets, friends, relatives. Some of the poems were funny. I gave the book four stars because of the clever, colorful illustrations by Steve Bjorkman.
Jeffrey
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. It had different stories of different lengths so it added a variety for the reader. Each story also had a different rhythm so it also added new feels for the stories. Also, this book was made by one of my favorite comedians, Jeff Foxworthy, so that was also another plus.
Vanessa Dougherty
This book is full of fun and witty poems. It is funny and great for children! Poems about family and animals make the poems relatable. The illustrations are fun and go nicely with the poems. I would give this to children for independent reading.
Cara Farmer
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this funny little book. It is a collection of poetry that I can just see children giggling at. I think this would be great to read to a class. As a project they could then write their own poems and the class could make a great book of poetry.
Sydney McClure
This is a funny collection of poems written by Jeff Foxworthy. This book is meant for developing readers, so from kindergarten to second grade most likely with some assistance. The poems all rhyme, so that will help students learning to read.
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Penguins!
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Cows Can't Fly
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)
  • Riding the Tiger
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • Hedgie's Surprise
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?
American comedian, mostly known for his "you might be a redneck if" jokes.

Currently he is the presenter of the game show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader"
More about Jeff Foxworthy...