Start by marking “The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today

The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today

The Way of the Lord by N. T. Wright is a book to be read with Christian pilgrimage in mind, whether one is traveling to the Holy Land physically or merely in heart and mind.Wright explores all the sites that travelers usually visit on a tour of the Holy Land, explaining not only what is to be seen but also the context of faith that makes these sites, and the events associa ...more
Published September 5th 2014 by Eerdmans (first published February 25th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Lord

Start your review of The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today
Rachel Littlejohn
"It is often said that Jerusalem is the focal point for three great religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam; but it is actually a focal point for four, because to these we must add another 'ism', namely Tourism. Tourism is the modern, secular version of pilgrimage, in which we go to famous places, or to see well-known sights, not to meet God or to receive healing or blessing, but to see things that our culture tells us we out to see, to expand our own horizons and experiences, to buy souvenir ...more
Jason
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, school
It's a shame that protestants have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, and forgotten almost all of the disciplines of the faith. Wright seeks to help them recover the practice of pilgrimage here, and has written a book that allows you to go on a pilgrimage even if your'e not going to the Holy Land. I actually read this while on tour through Israel, and it added a significant amount of spiritual depth to the archeological and historical work I was doing. I'll re-read this book every year, I t ...more
Andrew
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing ground-breaking, but challenging for most Protestants, as our view of pilgrimage is normally one of disdain. I read it on the plane to and from Israel and it was especially relevant for that trip.
Patrick Donohue
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read on Israel pilgrimage
Carol Bakker
This book occupied a delightful fortnight of winter evenings. My husband read aloud, interrupting often while we talked through an idea presented. Each chapter describes a physical pilgrimage (The Way to Damascus, to Jordan, to the Wilderness, to Galilee...) along with a metaphorical journey. Wright isn't predictable, he isn't dispensational, but he is pastoral; the reading always engendered discussion.

The Epilogue, about the Holy Land today, had a viewpoint of the Palestinians which I have sel
Christiane
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diferente de outros de seus livros, este não é um livro em que o autor se aprofunda histórica e teologicamente. É mais uma aplicação de diversos conceitos e visões do Reino, desenvolvidas por ele em outras obras, na temática do peregrino no caminho. Ainda assim, é um livro revigorante, sensação que a perspectiva de N.T. Wright constantemente me traz. Fica a ressalva de que, como em outros momentos, quando ele trata de questões políticas/globais ele o faz tendendo demais à simplificação dos probl ...more
David Bastedo
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books that give me new insights on my faith and my walk with Christ. The author has some great analogies and insights to our journey. The chapters take you on a journey through the holy land not to give you a tour, but to use the tour as a metaphor for our own spiritual journey. The section on Good Friday was especially meaningful. I believe that I will use this again during lent as my devotional. This is one of those books to read again and again.
Victor Santos
É interessantíssimo a abordagem de Wright, utilizando-se do trajeto comum de peregrinos em Israel para fazer o leitor trilhar por uma peregrinação cristã, no sentido espiritual e real do seguimento de Jesus. Com uma leitura fluída, simples e reflexiva, Wright nos leva para as bases cristãs.

Não é um livro denso teologicamente. Pelo contrário, é uma leitura popular, cristã, clara. Mas, que causa no leitor um desejo de devoção. Isso é o que mais admiro nesse autor.
Caleb Dillinger
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-books
Wow, for a 21 year old book, it remains extremely relevant, insightful, and prophetic. Its a book I'll revisit anytime I consider going to Israel or preaching on pilgrimage. It lifts up God and the gospel and the mystery of our faith. I highly recommend this book.
Robert
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a stellar read, and perfect for a Lenten (or even Easter season!) study. I get a thrill when I read beautifully written theology and preaching that explicitly tries to give Jesus the honour he is due, and I think Wright has this in spades, here.

(Oh how I wish Tom could see how his brilliant theology can pave the way for LGBTQ inclusion in the Church--but alas, this seems to be his major blind spot in recent years.)
Ricardo Tavárez
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was especially helpful during my pilgrimage to Israel. I recommend it to anyone going on pilgrimage journey.
Mark
Good preparation as I plan my trip to the Holy Land in a few weeks. Wright is a good writer with keen insight into scripture.
Kevin
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting spiritualization of the geography of Israel. Quick, devotional read. Valuable "seeds" for sermons.
Nancy Moffett
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second time through this excellent book, I particularly appreciated Wright's reflections on the holy land today.
Mark Benedict
Thanks for prepping me for Israel, NT.
Alison
Jul 05, 2009
Casey Taylor
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fun little book to treat before traveling to Israel but not the best Wright stuff.
Bill DeCamp
Jan 09, 2020
Adam
Jun 21, 2012
Meghan Safstrom Fisher
Sep 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Death Troopers (Star Wars)
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)
  • Jesus and His World
  • Glorious Companions: Five Centuries of Anglican Spirituality
  • For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball
  • Every Moment Holy
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth
  • The Losers Club
  • I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir
  • Rigoberta Menchu And The Story Of All Poor Guatemalans
  • Exodus
  • Lila
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
  • How to Survive the Apocalypse: Zombies, Cylons, Faith, and Politics at the End of the World
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi ...more

News & Interviews