Start by marking “Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)” as Want to Read:
Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)

Checkmate

(The Patrick Bowers Files #7)

In "Checkmate," critically acclaimed novelist Steven James offers the final, chilling chapter in his bestselling series, The Bowers Files.
When a clandestine FBI facility is attacked, Special Agent Patrick Bowers is drawn into the vicious, ruthless story that a killer from his past is bent on telling the world.
Clues lead to long forgotten secrets buried deep beneath upt
Published December 2nd 2014 by Signet

Linda Strong
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
The Patrick Bowers books have been among my very favorite series. It's been a fun adventure, not only figuring out all the bad guys, but the sheer pleasure of watching the relationship of Patrick and Tessa expand and change over the course of this series.

For those who haven't read this one ... go get it now and read it! It's exciting, it's dangerous, it's provocative and well worth reading.

Just a couple of things I've learned ....

1. Envenomation is the process by which venom is injected into so
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Well, that was disappointing. This is no spoiler as it happens in the first chapter of the book. So this sets the stage for disappointment.

Why would FBI agents congregate outside after getting a text from a low level agent. They are just sitting ducks. None of them bother to ask why the others are there and determine something is fishy. They are FBI for goodness sakes. It was so ridiculous I couldn’t believe this author would write something so amateurish.

Let’s not talk about a agent leaving his
J.S. Bailey
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steven James scares me.

But in a good way, I guess.

[shivers]
Melanie
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/RZFFQP53...
Review on my blog (to be posted 1/6): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Checkmate was so good! The entire story was filled with intense action/suspense -- from the beginning scene to that final, crazy ending. I was near tears for the last 50-100 pages, and that just tells you how much I love these characters because I was afraid about what was going to happen to them!

The plot for Checkmate was fantastic! Even though there were clues
CindyC26
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay tinsel town. This series needs to be made into a tv series. This is one of the most thrilling series I have ever read. That with a fantastic cast of characters and a story line that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Come on already we need this type of entertainment!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Robert Roush
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember when I picked up my first book from Steven James. It seemed like everywhere I went, the cover of the book Pawn--bright yellow with a tipped over pawn from the game of chess--jumped out at me from the bookshelf. Eventually, I had to pick up the book and give it a read. Pawn was released back in 2007 and I can't believe that eight years and eight books later, I'm writing a review of the final book in "The Bowers Files" series.

In my opinion, Steven James is an excellent example that you
Karla
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another James book I couldn't put down

Can't get enough of these characters, and am so sad this series is over. Such a perfect combination of suspense, and humor, and very thought-provoking. The story itself was seamless and I enjoyed the history lessons about Charlotte. Any book by Steven James is worth reading. Highly recommend to anyone looking for not only entertainment, but makes you think.
Kate
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fast paced story of FBI Agent Pat Bowers, walking into a mystery that brings two of his nemesis together to create murder and mayhem, the targets being fellow agents and a major home grown terrorist attack.
This is one of a series of Bower Tales, and as always is heavily plot driven, yet manages to create characters that you actually care about and can identify with...rare in fast paced detective mysteries.
Hard to put down and definitely very readable drawing the reader into a strange world.
Krista Gaddis
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Soooooooo great! I am so sad that this series is over! Im going to miss Patrick and his great attention to detail and coffee-snobbishness. Great last book and a satisfying ending! I wish there would be a ton of more books in the series so i can keep reading them but i understand everything has to end and this was great. One of my favorite book series by far!
Tim
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
The family involvement except for one situation detracts and is unnecessary. Had the author only stuck with the one, the story would have been more captivating throughout and better focused. 3 of 10 stars
Tamara Tharpe
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steven James never disappoints

The way he can author a story in a book and make it seems like you are watching it on the big screen is truly amazing. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough.
Brianna Lewis
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Steven James and have really like his Patrick Bower series. This one was definitely my favorite. It wasn't quite as dark as his others. Loved the pacing and the story line. Awesome ending. I'm sad to say goodbye to these great characters.
Candy
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Took me a while to finish this one. For some reason this ne just seemed anti-climatic. Nice wrap up to the story but I was somewhat disappointed.
Kathy
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Exciting from start to finish. Love the characters...
Tracy
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Loved the Patrick Bowers series, I am sorry to see it end. Lots of stuff going on, some relationship stuff, good suspense till the end.
Sherry Ledet
The last of this Steven James series and a great wrap up. Can't wait to see what he writes next. He has become one of my favorite authors of suspense.
Mir
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
pretty amazing as always!
Neil
It is funny, but I both loved [most of] this book and hated [parts of] this book. There are parts that drive me crazy with frustration, but, after having finished it, I think it reveals the skill and 'genius' of the author [genius might be too strong of a word, but that's okay] in telling the story. It moves at a fast pace, although it did get a bit long in the tooth by the end. It is kind of funny, but I figured out part of the ending about one hundred pages before the end of the book; I figure ...more
Shaunda
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Oh my goodness, CheckMate was the BOMB!!! I didn't want to put it down.

Steven James, oh how I love thee.

The suspense alone. What about, Kurt Mason & Richard Basque??? Man they put the B in bad. Just pure de evil.

What makes a person go to the dark side?? Well CheckMate let's you see what happens.

When one really think about it, it's really scary. Because there are individuals out there that are pure evil, the news shows us this everyday. Just turn on the TV or go on the internet.

Chaos is t
Julie Graves
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Wow! Talk about edge-of-your-seat suspense! This one kept me totally engaged and totally freaked out! Patrick has two serial killers on the loose that he is trying to track down. Not sure that Basque survived his dunk in the river at the end of the last book, Patrick has his eyes open for more attacks against his family. Then another killer that Basque helped escape from prison makes an appearance. Which one is behind the attack on the FBI? Once again Tessa has agents keeping an eye on her, whic ...more
Felicia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Once again, not overly impressed with the conclusion to this series. For me, it was lacking the thrills of the rest of the series. Once again, there was nothing to figure out. We knew who the perpetrators were and if you didn't, it's more than likely because you haven't read the rest of the series. There was one minor role that the reader was able to try to figure out but it was so minor that I didn't realize there was anything to figure out. The ending was my favorite part of this book, as it w ...more
Sheila
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow--what an excellent read!! True to Steven James' writing, this book was fast-paced, riveting, suspenseful, and hard to put down. Swept up in the drama, you can't help but turn each page eagerly awaiting what will come next. If you have never read a Steven James book, you must! While this book is part of a series, you can read it just fine without reading the other books...HOWEVER, you really are going to want to read the whole series starting with The Pawn!
Tonya
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
What a way to wrap up the Patrick Bowers series! Although, it wrapped things up a little too neatly, it still kept me reading until the end. All the characters were back, but I felt like there was not enough character growth in this one compared to the other books.
Andy Clapp
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James continues the Patrick Bowers series with a book that is filled with anticipation and action. From the opening pages, the book captures the attention and I found the book to be exhilarating, exactly what I would expect from Steven James.
Aaron
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed all his books but this one was difficult to get through because of the slow pace. Wasn’t till the last 1/4 of the book that it took off.
Calvin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Jan
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to the series and one of the most enjoyable books.
Charles
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-05-may, 2017
Probably the best book in the Bowers series. Lots of closure.
Jojo Anthonio-van Zeele
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...…..
Barry Zerangue
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this Patrick Bowers series, hate to see it end, but it ended well.
Christian Fiction...: ❀Caitlyn and Melanie❀ Checkmate by Steven James 27 11 Feb 03, 2015 08:42PM

• First the Dead (Bug Man Series #3)
  • The Animal Hour
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • Centralia
  • Critical Reaction
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • Isolation
  • Valley of the Shadow
  • Strait of Hormuz (Marc Royce #3)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Double Cross (Taylor Pasbury, #2)
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Nothing to Hide (A Roland March Mystery, #3)
  • Double Helix
  • Presumed Guilty
  • By Reason of Insanity
Steven James is a national bestselling novelist whose award-winning, pulse-pounding thrillers continue to gain wide critical acclaim and a growing fan base.

After consulting with a former undercover FBI agent and doing extensive research on cybercrimes, Steven wrote his latest thriller, EVERY CROOKED PATH--a taut, twist-filled page turner that is available now wherever books are sold.

If you've nev

The Patrick Bowers Files (7 books)
  • The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1)
  • The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
  • The Bishop (The Patrick Bowers Files, #4)
  • The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files, #5)
  • The King (Patrick Bowers Files, #6)
“We want the benefits of intimacy without the risks of transparency. So our lives are always made up of games of hide-and-seek. We want to be found and yet we want to hide from the consequences of being found. Intimacy is the license that you give to someone else to hurt you the most.” 1 likes
“truth is the one thing no one needs to be protected from.” 0 likes