Start by marking “Ten zuiden van de grens” as Want to Read:
Ten zuiden van de grens

Ten zuiden van de grens

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  84,998 ratings  ·  5,285 reviews
Hajime en zijn jeugdliefde Shimamoto groeien allebei op als enig kind. Na schooltijd luisteren ze samen naar muziek, houden elkaars hand vast en praten over de toekomst. Als Hajime met zijn familie naar een andere stad verhuist, verliezen ze elkaar uit het oog.

Jaren later komen ze elkaar echter weer tegen. Hajime is de succesvolle eigenaar van een nachtclub, echtgenoot en
Published 2004 by Pandora (first published October 5th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ten zuiden van de grens, please sign up.
Iamthesword Especially if you take into account how autobiographical his protagonist is - Murakami himself ran a Jazz Bar before he became a succesful author. But…moreEspecially if you take into account how autobiographical his protagonist is - Murakami himself ran a Jazz Bar before he became a succesful author. But obviously he can: he's married to his wife since 1971...(less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Creo que lo hace (junto con muchos autores modernos) porque la vida no te presenta con sus conflictos todos resueltos, sin un hilo suelto, y todo atad…moreCreo que lo hace (junto con muchos autores modernos) porque la vida no te presenta con sus conflictos todos resueltos, sin un hilo suelto, y todo atado con un lazo bonito. La vida siempre sigue adelante; en cuanto que terminamos con una etapa, aquí está la siguiente (si es que no se superponen una a otra). Pocas personas reales son nitidamente definidas; el ser humano consciente de su vida está (y debe estar) en una condición de constante adaptación y cambio. Claro que existen personas que se limitan a respirar, comer, dormir y andar una linea recta de la cuna a la tumba, pasando por las etapas vitales una tras otra sin variación...pero no sería muy emocionante leer sobre ellos.(less)

·  84,998 ratings  ·  5,285 reviews

Start your review of Ten zuiden van de grens
Kelly Jean Egan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever Murakami book I am reading, I find myself stepping back into the same world as before, with all of the same characters and themes of wells and transience and strangely poignant details like gold lighters and classical music records and the myriad spaghetti dinners--the mundane details of everyday life spun into a dreamy tapestry. The fact that every Murakami book I read seems to feel the same is a good thing in this author's case. His tone is something quite distinct. Every time I read ...more
Ian "Marvin" Graye
A Companion Intervenes

I re-read “South of the Border” immediately after re-reading “Norwegian Wood”, as part of my training regime for Murakami’s “1Q84”.

Although they were written five years apart and were separated by “Dance Dance Dance”, they are good companion pieces.

They stand out from Murakami’s other novels because they explore love and its consequences almost exclusively.

Although some things and events go unexplained, there is little of the surrealism and absurdity that characterizes mos
B Schrodinger
The other night a friend mentioned she is reading '1Q84' at the moment and it got me all nostalgic for a Murakami experience. So choosing one at random of the ever diminishing list of Murakami's I haven't read yet I chose 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'.

What do you get? Unsurprisingly a story that is Murakami. There is an every-man protagonist, mysterious lady from the past, jazz, university protests, people with deformities... I could go on or just use the Murakami Bingo:

Desipite being
Boysie Freeman (not my real name, it's just my Internet name)
At first I dislike this book but now I am confident to say that I hate it.

It's about this shallow and whiny man who wronged every women he put his hand on (probably because he is so deep, no one can understand him since he's the only child, yes, you gotta remember how painful it is for this Hajime guy to be the only child)... except his childhood sweetheart who is so deep that she never has a real personality but some random emo appeal which cannot make me care less. The author tried so hard bu
Ahmad Sharabiani
Kokkyō no minami, Taiyō no nishi = South of the border, west of the sun, Haruki Murakami
South of the Border, West of the Sun is a short novel by Japanese author Haruki Murakami. Publication date: 1992. The novel tells the story of Hajime, starting from his childhood in a small town in Japan. Here he meets a girl, Shimamoto, who is also an only child and suffers from polio, which causes her to drag her leg as she walks. They spend most of their time together talking about their interests in life
Martine
I never fail to be impressed by the way Murakami captures mood and feelings. Even in his less fantastic novels, of which this is one, he draws you into a world that is all his, and so full of possibilities and connections that you feel you could grasp them if you reached out. Except you don't, because in Murakami's universe it's easier to stay put and wait than to get actively involved. It's about memories and reminiscences, about wishes and alternate realities, and if you were to reach out and ...more
Steven Godin
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, japan
Lost loves and existential romance haunt in what was for Murakami a tender and mellowed out novel, which oddly still had a gripping edge to it, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. Maybe it's simply down to the fact this is Murakami, and here, even though the story is a simple one, I never truly felt in the comfort zone, like there was an underlying menace, and that something unexpected was going to happen at any moment.
He loves a good sex scene does Murakami, and they can be found here also, but a
Mutasim Billah (semi-hiatus)
".....the sad truth is that certain types of things can’t go backward. Once they start going forward, no matter what you do, they can’t go back the way they were. If even one little thing goes awry, then that’s how it will stay forever."

South of the Border, West of the Sun is a short novel by Haruki Murakami. Here, we read the story of one Hajime's journey from childhood to middle age. The novel explores themes of post-war capitalism and culture in Japan in the 20th century, infidelity in re
Eddie Watkins
This book is the literary equivalent of cloud paintings. I’m not talking John Constable’s clouds, which are dense with specificity from a keen and earthy eye; but rather New Agey cloud paintings, which are designed to be innocuous and calming, to not stimulate the eye, to induce a meditative state and readjust the spirit and turn one away from the tangible.

So South of the Border, West of the Sun is not all bad – it does satisfy all the above criteria for New Agey cloud paintings – and I have no
Jim Fonseca
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel starts out as a coming-of-age story of a young Japanese man. Like other Murakami novels we have cats, Western culture and music – both American pop and European classical music. To the cats we can add lame women because there are two in this story. Another major theme of this book is that the main character and several others are an “only child” and the characters discuss what this means. This makes a lot of sense in Japanese culture with its exceptionally low birth rate to the point ...more
Sid
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Life, with everyone, is always suspended between two possibilities ( What you want to do? And what you should do?), whenever you need to make a decision. The rest of the life moves according to the choice you make, which decides if you are going to have an *apparently-happy-looking* life or the one where your heart is satisfied with what you have and doesn't let you roam in the direction of what-ifs? The path of *what you want to do* is hard as a rock but the one I would always prefer. You can't ...more
Lisa
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book, but it did make me think about why, so at least it had that going for it.

I found Hajime an infinitely unlikeable character, but I couldn't put my finger on the details of why. He had no problem doing things that would hurt the women he claimed to "love", even as he said that there must be something wrong with him for doing so. I think of "that's just the way I am, nothing to be done" as the worst, laziest possible excuse for bad behavior toward others.

But it was
Barry Pierce
This is the novel Norwegian Wood wishes it were.
Jr Bacdayan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with Haruki Murakami’s novels. I guess it might be the resonance of loneliness emanating from all his works. It might be the fusion of pop-culture and philosophical musings. It might be the mysterious atmosphere he creates. I can’t really pin it down. Most of his novels are deceptively similar in their tones and backgrounds but each one has a different center. Each novel shows a similar scene, but each one with a different focus.

South of the Border, West of the Sun is a meditation o
Moushumi Ghosh
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked jazz music but I don’t think I qualify as a fan. But this book seems like a jazz symphony to me (I’m kind of clueless about jazz. Is there something like a “jazz symphony?”) It’s smooth, mysterious and leaves you thirsting for more.

I firmly believe that you don’t choose your books; the books choose you. Yeah, I’m one of them people who think that there is no such thing as a coincidence. So, this SOTBWFTS (short form) was a gift from a friend on my birthday.

Anyways, I jumped o
Ivana Books Are Magic
They say that Murakami is one of those authors you either love or hate. I can actually understand how his style of writing might not be for everyone’s taste, but I happen to love him. His unique writing style always had a sort of hypnotic power over me. I feel enchanted when I read his novels, almost like I’m entering some magical world. Moreover, at times it is almost like I’m in the book myself, a silent observer, but nevertheless, a person very much present. Do you know that feeling you feel ...more
Jelena
At home, we have a private joke about the two Murakamis. One Haruki Murakami, my Murakami, would be the author of “Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World”, “1Q84”, “A Wild Sheep Chase”. My boyfriend’s Murakami, the other one, is the one from “Norwegian Wood”, “Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki” or “Sputnik Sweetheart”. And by a rule of thumb, I love and admire my Murakami, and am indifferent at best (and hostile at worst) towards his.

This one is completely different, though. The protagonist, a
Ms. Smartarse
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who're not too bothered by the (lack of) plot
Published in English as South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Just out of college, I was suddenly overcome by this maddening desire to write, and do it well. So well, that everyone would want to read the things I wrote. As a matter of fact, I was so impressed with the idea, that I would tell everyone how a truly great writer could practically write about SOCKS and have a legion of followers.

... then I entered the "adult world" and realized that I had vastly overestimated my sock-story-reading-tim
Chris_P
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haruki-murakami
After having read the bulk of his work, I've come to the conclusion that one has to have a general picture of Murakami's novels in order to understand each of his stories seperately. There are some recurring themes in all of them that at first I couldn't quite get. Now, it's become easier to interpret those symbolisms.

As much as I love his surrealistic tricks, I can't help but be equally dazzled by his more sensitive, romantic themes. This one belongs to the latter category, while it has been s
Michael
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was charmed by this sentimental novel of loss and regret over a childhood love of a boy for a girl when he was twelve. Hajime in his 30s finds his life empty and somehow inauthentic despite all the trappings of success with a healthy family and a business running a couple of jazz clubs. He grew up in post-war Japan quite lonely and alienated, part of it he attributes to his being an only child, a situation made worse by stigma he felt:

…I hated it whenever someone asked me how many brothers an
Kate
Reread April 2020;
5/5stars

I stand by this being my fave murakami contemporary. So relatable, so beautiful, so haunting. I love how much this differs from the “typical” murakami novel but also still is just as powerful.

First read July 2016;
4.5/5 stars

OKay, let's do this. This is my NINTH book I've read from Haruki Murakami - so I'm not going to talk about his writing and his style because obviously I absolutely adore it. I'm going to just talk about THIS book by him.

This seemed to me like just a
Evan
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, 2010-reads, yearning
Eh, this was Orange Crush trying to masquerade as champagne.

The book's linchpin is a lifelong unrequited or dashed youthful romance that obsesses the protagonists, Hajime (he) and Shimamoto (she), each -- unknowingly to the other -- holding a candle over a vast span of time. Unfortunately, Murakami is no Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and this glass of soda pop novel is no Love in the Time of Cholera.

I'm not a guy who requires plot, per se, but what plot there is here is perfunctory; Murakami makes thi
Piya
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating:2.5⭐

Too many questions unanswered , too much work for my little brain 🙄.I am so confused . Not sure what to feel here .This was the BOTM for our Overbooked Book club. I will say this,it's definitely a great pick for book clubs - good for discussions because most of the story is left to your own interpretation.

First the pros : Started out as a coming-of-age story.I liked the flow, enjoyed the writing , the pacing- no issues here. Although I hated Hajime from the bottom of my heart,
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Janie C.
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a life and its intersections, complications and yearnings. In simple but elegant prose, the author moves us to become the main character, feeling his heart beat in tandem with others', yet separately as a desert animal's. Fulfilment and emptiness underline the meanings of life and death, offering no answers, yet outlining the promise of new beginnings.
·Karen·
This novel (in an earlier translation Gefährliche Geliebte) gained a certain notoriety in Germany back in 2000 when it led to the acrimonious collapse of a long-running television institution, Das Literarische Quartett. It was, perhaps, inevitable. The programme was kept alive by its gladiatorial atmosphere. Four self-opinionated critics who come together to dispute the merits of a literary work, each trying hard to hold their corner and usually getting shouted down by the most self-opinionated ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
[9/10]

Strangely enough, she always appeared on quiet rainy evenings.

Shimamoto – the one that got away, first love and first deception, an elusive ghost from the past that still haunts Hajime, a middle aged bar owner in a fashionable Tokyo district. I may be getting ahead of myself, as the present novel is not constructed around flashbacks, preferring instead a linear, chronological progression for Hajime, starting with his early school days and with his unlikely friendship with a quiet, but de
vivliovision
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
keep in touch: https://twitter.com/vivliovision

Hajime is a happily married man. He is also the father of two daughters and the owner of two Jazz Clubs. At some point during his 30’s Hajime finds himself leading a typical suburban life close-enough-but-not-too-close to down-town Tokyo.

Some people would say that Hajime is one of those lucky-few-guys, who can afford a rather easy-going lifestyle, while others would argue that this sort of life is quiet dull, actually. But then again, that's exactl
Cody
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haruki-murakami
"Because everyone's seeking the same thing: an imaginary place, their own castle in the air, and their very own special corner of it." (105)

South of the Border, West of the Sun is a representation of classical Haruki Murakami lore. Murakami traces the life of Hajime, a man born of a relatively peaceful post-WWII life where, rather than the traditional struggles of poverty, war, famine, or religious identity, his struggles come from his own sense of purpose and meaning. And of course being Muraka
Prashasti
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The sad truth is that certain types of things can't go backward. Once they start going forward, no matter what you do, they can't go back the way they were. If even one little thing goes awry, then that's how it will stay forever.”

A very typical of Murakami to delineate the zest of modern-day Tokyo and to spin a nexus of episodes revolving around it. I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of Suburban Japan, that were oft mentioned in the story.
If you're someone who enjoyed reading Norwegia

• Sobre a Ficção: Conversas com Romancistas
  • The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  • Kokoro
  • No Longer Human
  • Em sẽ đến cùng cơn mưa
  • Strange Weather in Tokyo
  • Almost Transparent Blue
  • Confessions of a Mask
  • Convenience Store Woman
  • In the Miso Soup
  • Goodbye Tsugumi
  • A máquina do ódio: Notas de uma repórter sobre fake news e violência digital
  • Racismo e fascismo & O corpo escravizado e o corpo negro
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am