Start by marking “Damoren (Valducan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Damoren (Valducan, #1)

Damoren

(Valducan #1)

In the same vein as SUPERNATURAL, HELLBOY, and BLADE comes...DÄMOREN.

A secret society of monster hunters.
A holy revolver forged to eradicate demons.
A possessed man with a tragic past.
A rising evil bent on destroying them all.

MATT HOLLIS is the current wielder of the holy weapon, Dämoren. With it, he stalks and destroys demons.

A secret society called the VALDUCANS has ta
Published April 14th 2014 by Ragnarok Publications

To ask other readers questions about Damoren, please sign up.
Seth Skorkowsky I have no set number of books planned. Each novel is a self-contained story that builds on the stories before it. Currently I'm working on the 4th…moreI have no set number of books planned. Each novel is a self-contained story that builds on the stories before it. Currently I'm working on the 4th novel.(less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,437 books — 15,750 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
3,750 books — 11,351 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Britt
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Milestone achieved! This is officially my 100th review. I am ecstatic that this is the book that I get to review for said milestone.

Update: the lovely ladies over at Bookspren were so kind as to feature this review on their blog. You can check it out here!

This is easily a 5 star book. It has cemented itself in the top 3 spot for my favorite debut novels. Right with Malice by John Gwynne and Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. Don't ask me to rank them, because I'm not sure I could make that cho
Dan Schwent
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When Matt Hollis, a lone demon hunter with a magical pistol, is approached to join the ancient order of Valducan knights, he warily accepts. Can the Valducans put aside their suspicions and accept Matt before they are overwhelmed by a demonic force bent on ridding the world of holy weapons?

I got this ARC from Ragnarok Publications, the fine folks responsible for the Dead West series.

Firstly, Damoren, a magical pistol with an equally magical bayonet attacked, was forged from a shattered magical s
Mike (the Paladin)
Interesting book. It's a pretty good addition to the UF universes. Here we have a mythology that centers around magic weapons or as the book refers to them "holy weapons" (though the use of the word is somewhat subjective and means something different in this fictional universe than it might elsewhere). Anyway...as noted the story revolves around weapons, primarily Damoren. Lest I'm unclear there, Damoren is one of these weapons, a revolver with a knife blade under the barrel.

See...monsters can
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

To tell the truth, Dämoren didn’t start off high on my priority list of books to read when I received it for review, though it did hook my attention when I was told there would be wendigos (seriously, more books need wendigos). The cover, while very pretty, also did nothing to draw me in, showing a partial image of a bladed revolver. Hey, gunblades are neat and all -- but that also tells me very little.

Then a couple weeks
Derpa
More of this kinda stuff on Tome Raider.

I guess I am becoming more willing to give unknown, small books a go and so far I'm not regretting it at all. Then again, Michael loved this and our taste is fairly similar with fun, action packed stuff, so I guess I should have known. (To my family; if you find my mummified body under a collapsed pile of books, Michael is to blame.)

When you hear 'holy weapon' you most likely imagine it as this one single item that is so special that no other can ever rea
Mihir
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: With urban fantasies nowadays, there’s only so much being done. Faced with the usual bandwagon of vampires, werewolves, faeries, elves and other tropes, it can get a tad disappointing for an urban fantasy fan like me. Of course we have authors like Ilona Andrews, Liz Williams, Myke Cole, Tim Marquitz, and Rachel Aaron who dare to stretch the limits and pave new ground.

Seth Skorkowsky’s Dämoren was a book, which after reading the blurb, I was hop
Soo
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I tried this story in two formats: audio and ebook. If I could have managed to listen to the story, certain things would not have annoyed me as quickly as they did by reading the story. To my surprise, I did not like the way Bray narrated the story and returned the audiobook after trying to listen to it several times. I got about 20 minutes into the audio before I stopped listening.

The story comes off like a bad attempt at an anime style story. For no particular reason, different aspects of the
Anton
4.5 ⭐ my first audiobook (ever)

My experience with 'urban fantasy' genre has always been a hit & miss (with a heavy weighting on the 'miss' part). Last year I was delightfully surprised by Dresden Files that, whilst with its flaws, has quickly climbed up to my 'favourite' shelf. I have tried other books since but ended up disappointed (not to name any names)...

Anyhow, Damoren is clearly breaking this 'urban fantasy is a meh' tide for me! If you like Harry Dresden - you should enjoy Matthew Ho
Lance
Totally and completely blown away by this book!!! I loved it.
For those of you that are sitting on the fence as to whether or not to read this:
RUN DON'T WALK TO GET THIS BOOK BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY AND READ IT NOW!!!

A better review to follow.
ijeoma Agbaje
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it

Not bad, not bad at all. Blown away i was not, but i didn't want to chuck my Kindle across the room (not literally of course) while reading.
So Damoren is basically a book about people who call themselves knights/hunters who get boners (again not literally) for their weapons and also who have taken it upon themselves -such selfless humans - to rid the world of demons.
First off i think this book really pushed it with the whole i love my weapon ish. It was, as far i'm concerned a cringe fest..It wa

Eric
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

That was awesome. Damoren started off a new series with a bang, introducing a fantastic world of demons and the secret order of knights who hunt them.

Damoren follows Matt Hollis, a demon hunter who comes into contact with the Valducans, an ancient holy order dedicated to hunting and destroying demons, using holy weapons to wage their secret war. A new treat has risen against the order, and the hunters are banding together to find out what’s behind this new evil and destroy it.

This boo
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Dämoren is the first part of the Valducan series. It's Seth Skorkowsky's debut novel.

Dämoren was a pleasant surprise for me, because it was a good and entertaining urban fantasy novel. I don't normally read urban fantasy, because there are plenty of novels which have failed to impress me. The problem with most urban fantasy novels is that there isn't anything interesting in them. This novel is fortunately different from most urban fantasy novels, because it's
Rob Hayes
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One Line Review:

Tragic back story (yes we start with it), BANG, hunting hunting just keep hunting, distrust, BANG, death, death, death, death, twist, death, death, eclipse, pain, twist, ROAAAAAARRRR, history, giggedy.

So Damoren took me a while to read. It's not that its slow but more that it starts off with A LOT of questions and takes it sweet time answering any of them (and some of them it never answers which serves the narrative quite well). When I did get into it though I really got into it!
Jack
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had this novel for awhile but did not read it until a "goodread's" member recommended it. thank's
I started reading and after the evening became morning and the following day this was a finished read... I could not stop, the novel flows very well,bringing you right into the world and fills in the pieces as the story progress's (I like when the novels just have a flow to them).
My enjoyment of this novel should be obvious as it was started and finished then I went back to my world, this has the
Clay Sanger
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a genre wildly over-populated by cheesy vampire/demon/werewolf love stories and bad supernatural detective schtick, Damoren is a breath of fresh air from the first chapter to the last.

From the start, the reader is treated to a very fresh take on the monster-hunter concept and the monstrous foes themselves -- a thread which is enjoyably woven non-stop throughout the book.

The idea of monster-slaying weapons imbued with holy or magical properties has been a staple of legendary storytelling since
Lukasz
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
While I consider myself a pacifist and have no interest in guns, I have to admit I wouldn’t mind having Dämoren at hand. Just in case. You know how it is with werewolves, vampires, and daemons – you never know when they’ll come to get you.

The thing is, the moment I took the Holy Weapon would be my last. Matt would kill me. No one, except him, can touch his beloved one.

Dämoren is an impressive debut. I came late to the party as the series is already or almost finished. That’s, actually, good – I
Veronica
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
There's nothing terribly new here but it's an enjoyable, monster hunting tale with cool characters. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator only helped to add to the enjoyment level for me. There are additional books in the series but this one ends on a solid note (i.e. no cliffhanger) that doesn't require any additional investment for those who opt out of moving on.

C.T. Phipps
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
So what if Harry Dresden was a foul-mouthed gunslinger?

That's sort of what I think about Damoren. This is somewhat unfair to the author as the character of Matt Hollis isn't that similar to Harry Dresden. He's not a pop cultured badass, for example, but a grizzled veteran with a dozen years of demon hunting. The book does make me think of Harry, though, and Stephen King's Dark Tower series to some extent. If for no other reason there's not that many demon-hunting gunslingers around.

Damoren is
Dee
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Copy Provided by Audible Inc

I’ll be the first to admit that if Damoren hadn’t been nominated for an Audie (audiobook awards) in the Paranormal category, I likely never would have picked me up. None of my friends on Goodreads have it shelved (and I get probably 90% of my recommendations from there) and it likely isn’t a book that I would have come across easily in a bookstore or browsing on Audible, but now that I have listened to it, I’m glad I did and am waiting for the next book in the
Jorge Soto
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I realize it is a hard sell to say that a book about vampires, werewolves, ghouls, and other creatures is brilliantly original, but Damoren is just that.

Seth doesn't reinvent the vampire, he embraces it. (BTW real vampires don't sparkle.) He cleverly depicts vampires and other monsters as demons having possessed humans and animals giving them the traits we are familiar with.

The story of Damoren is the story of demons, holy weapons of power, and friendship. In a world where demons exist and pre
Frank Errington
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

The story begins with 11-year old Spencer Mallory surviving an attack in his home by a group of monsters that kill the rest of his family. He's saved by a demon hunter named Clay Mercer who wields a special weapon named Dämoren.

Years later, Spencer, now known as Matt Hollis, has become a demon Hunter himself, bonded with Dämoren. As if his life isn't strange enough, he gets the following letter...

Dear Mr. Hollis,

As you can see, we have been aware of you for some time. While we have al
AudioBookReviewer
My original Damoren audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Young Spencer and his family are attacked by flesh eating monsters.  His family is lost, but luckily for him, a stranger named Clay had been tracking the demons and saves the boy’s life.  With nowhere to go, Clay takes Spencer under his wing and trains him as a tracker and killer of the many hidden creatures living among us.

Demons can’t be killed by ordinary weapons, which will only kill the host body they po
Jesse
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I approach the fantasy genre in order to fill one of two specific needs as a reader. The first need is to explore an author’s new imagined world from the broad strokes to the nooks and crannies to absorb each and every bit of wonder the writer has managed to evoke. The second is more primal: to be carried along at whitewater pace through a ripping tale. In general, an author can meet one of those needs (for which I am grateful) but only occasionally do they meet both.
Damoren fulfills and then so
Guy Wheatley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 of 5 stars.
This is not my preferred genre, so I was surprised to be so thoroughly enthralled by it. The sensation is similar to my discovery of “The Lord of the Rings,” also not my genre. I think the reason for my enjoyment of both works falls to similar reasons.
First of all, the tapestry of the world in which this tale takes place is full and rich. It comes with an extensive history and lore which the author seems to have planned out. He carefully reveals it in a logical progression throughou
Paul Jones
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

This story just rattles along nicely. There are some interesting characters and there are even clues leading to the reveal if you put them together. All in all a fun read and I will definitely be getting books 2 to 4.
Kevin Brown
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A strong opening with a young hero wielding an unusual holy weapon to fight demons. The introduction of the Valducan group of demon fighters and their history is really well done. It feels natural because they are driven to contact our main character as part of the overall plot of the book. The members of the demon fighting group are very diverse and feel like their own people.
Paul Martin
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Fourteen years ago a pack of wendigos killed Matt Hollis’ family and damned his soul. Now, Matt is a demon hunter armed with a holy revolver named Dämoren.”

Dämoren: the first book in The Valducan series and the urban fantasy debut of Seth Skorkowsky, it is fair to say, is one hell of a ride! As Skorkowsky’s novel begins with the aforementioned Wendigo attack on Hollis’ family, two things are immediately apparent: there is going to be some no holds barred gruesomeness going down; and Skorkowsky
Tony Peak
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
After inheriting a divine weapon from a demon hunter who saved his life, Matt Hollis has spent his adulthood vanquishing these infernal monsters. Going it alone, he has sent many a demon back to Hell with a shot from his pistol, Damoren. But when other hunters from a secret order track him down, Matt isn’t sure what they want or who he can trust—save for the gun that bonded with him long ago. Even though infernal blood runs in his veins.

Seth Skorkowsky’s novel is a contemporary fantasy with enou
Steve Caldwell
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of the author before, but the synopsis sounded interesting, so I gave it a shot. I am so glad I did. The book takes a fresh look at Urban fantasy, in a world where all monsters are just Demons inhabiting humans, and a group of warriors called the Valducan Knights wield holy weapons to slay them. Matt Hollis is actually not a Valducan, but was trained by an exiled one, and he hunts demons solo. He was brought into the order to help deal with a huge uprising of Demons, not quite ...more
Bibliotropic
(Full review here: http://bibliotropic.net/2014/04/23/da...)

There was a lot of promise to this series, and it’s getting good reviews all over the place, but I’m afraid to say that it’s a series I probably won’t continue with. I want to stress that it’s not a reflection of the quality, or the demonstrated creativity of the author. It’s more because the novel just wasn’t to my taste. There are plenty of people I can guarantee that this book would appeal to, and there’s a reason that many have expr
Girls, Guns and G...: Buddy Read: Damoren / Seth Skorkowsky 30 18 Aug 08, 2017 11:55AM
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • God Touched (Demon Accords, #1)
  • John Golden: Freelance Debugger
  • Beyond the Veil (Demon Squad, #5)
  • Blue Star Priestess (Demon Lord, #3)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Nightwise (Nightwise, #1)
  • The Sisters of Witchdown (Hexed Novels, #1)
  • Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu: A Tale of Atomic Love
  • Dane Curse (Black Cape Case Files, #1)
  • Natural Consequences (Good Intentions, #2)
  • Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? (Shadow Police, #3)
  • Hungry Earth (Elemental #2)
  • Hang Wire
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • Nightmare Ink (Living Ink, #1)
Raised in the swamps and pine forests of East Texas, Seth Skorkowsky gravitated to the darker sides of fantasy, preferring horror and pulp heroes over knights in shining armor.

His debut novel, Dämoren, was published in 2014 as book #1 in the Valducan series; it was followed by Hounacier in 2015, and Ibenus in 2016. Seth has also released two sword-and-sorcery rogue collections with his Tales of th

Valducan (4 books)
  • Hounacier (Valducan, #2)
  • Ibenus (Valducan, #3)
  • Redemptor (Valducan, #4)
“She ain't no whore," the old man had grumbled. "She's a lady. And the lady likes leather.” 4 likes
“What’s this one?” Allan said, holding up a blocky pistol. “Glock,” Matt answered. Allan flipped it over. “How big is the clip for it?” “Magazine,” Matt corrected. “They always call it a clip on the telly.” “So? TV and movies also say that UV hurts vampires like sunlight, too.” Allan frowned. “All right. How much does the magazine hold?” “Seventeen,” 1 likes