Start by marking “Safe at Last (Slow Burn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Safe at Last (Slow Burn, #3)

Safe at Last (Slow Burn #3)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  3,975 Ratings  ·  385 Reviews
The third book in the beloved #1 bestselling author’s sexy, romantic suspense Slow Burn series…

They say young love doesn’t last, but a girl from the wrong side of the tracks with unique abilities and the hometown golden boy were determined to defy the odds. For Zack Covington, Anna-Grace—his “Gracie”—was the one. Until one night forever alters the course of their future, w
Published June 23rd 2015 by Avon (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Safe at Last, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Samie Kauchis Nope it wasn't explained. I figured it was due to trauma. That she likely suppressed them without realizing it. Once she started to let go of all the…moreNope it wasn't explained. I figured it was due to trauma. That she likely suppressed them without realizing it. Once she started to let go of all the hurt and whatnot, they "came back."(less)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
2.5 Stars

I have to say, I struggled with my rating on this one. I adore all things Maya Banks, but sadly her few recent releases have been mostly lackluster for me at best. The Breathless trilogy didn't quite work for me and so I was hesitant to try the Slow Burn trilogy. But I couldn't stay away after reading that synopsis. I'm a sucker for second chance romance and lovers reunited, and Safe At Last sounded like it would pack quite the emotional punch.

The series is very appropriately titled bec
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

It's live: * Amazon US * Amazon Uk *

Safe At Last is a contemporary second chance romance surrounded by intrigue with a dash of the supernatural.

The beginning is intriguing and engaging. It captured my attention and had me wondering what had occurred within the protagonist's shared history that had so dramatically pulled them apart all those years ago. Two people who were everything to each other..... I felt the rumblings of a misunderstanding but the conflict runs so much deeper.

The premise an
Beverly
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Zack and Gracie’s story is a story of second chance love. These two were high school sweethearts, destined to be together until one day Gracie just disappeared. For years, Zack has wondered if Gracie is alive, hurt or just hiding from him.

The story begins with Zack finding Gracie. It has been twelve years and he wants answers, but Gracie is terrified of him and angry.

"I won’t go away. I won’t forget. I’ve waited twelve years for this moment, I’ll be damned if I walk away from you like you walk
Alex is The Romance Fox
1,5 stars

Safe at Last...#3 in Maya Banks's Slow Burn Series is not doing it for me!!
I have been giving this series a chance. The first 2 books were pretty dismal and the 3rd is not much better!!!

The story started off okay but just never went anywhere. All this second chance at love...and the whole interaction between the hero and heroine was too ridiculous for words.

All that inner dialogue.......just shut up!!!! So bloody annoying. And all the repetition...over and over and over...........

Slow..
Jacqueline's Reads
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4 Forgiving Stars

Safe at Last is a standalone and is part of the Slow Burn series.

This is Zack and Gracie’s story.

Zack and Gracie were high school sweethearts and were 100% in love. I loved that there weren’t any flash backs. When you start the read, it goes to the heart of the story. Zack loved Gracie and he was going places too. He was a football player and was very good at it. Gracie and Zack were saving themselves for each other and wanted to spend the rest of their life together.

Until Graci
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review via Edelweiss.

One of my ultimate favorite themes in romance books are second chance romance and when you toss in suspense into the story line, then you have my full undivided attention. And in Maya Banks', Safe at Last , the third and final installment to the Slow Burn Series, Ms. Banks puts to test the power of LOVE. So when two people are meant for each other, will they prove love knows no time or distance?

#1safeatlast

In the first two books, we
Julie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Safe at Last by Maya Banks is a 2015 Avon publication.

This third installment in the ‘Slow Burn’ series finally found its footing for me, for the most part.

This is Zack’s story and I have to say this installment is darker than the previous two chapters in the series.

Zack was slated for a career in football and had his life all mapped out with his young girlfriend, Gracie. But, when he left for college, Gracie disappeared and Zack’s life went into a tailspin. For the last twelve years, Zack has
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
Safe at Last is the third book in the Burn series, and it’s Zack’s turn to find his happiness. Sadly, though, when he does, not only is she terrified of him, he has absolutely no idea why. Why does the girl he loved as a teenager who he thought was dead and gone feel such horror when she looks at him? She begs for him to go away and absolutely refused to even speak to him about the reasons why.

Well, get ready guys. I am a massive fan of Maya Banks, (MASSIVE) and the content in Safe at Last is tr
Anna's Herding Cats
Oh man. This one started off with such potential but just never made it anywhere and then the last 20% was just ridiculous. Totally bummed especially after enjoying the first two books.
Bj
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 "2nd Chance at Lost Love" Stars!

The third book in the Slow Burn series features threads of many different romance sub-genres, ensuring that there is a little something for every type of romance lover. From the mildly suspenseful plot and paranormal elements (featuring a heroine who has a mind reading gift) to the second chance at first love romantic overtone, Safe At Last covers a lot of ground within the romance genre landscape.

As this is the third book in the Slow Burn Series, I feel it i
Shaleen Morris
Jun 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't finish this book. It's very repetitive. The same thoughts, statements in the H's head, over and over again. The male friend of the h just repeated what he said only ten pages, or less, before. Yes, he WAS interested in the h but realized she needed just a friend. Gah.
Twelve years. He looked for her. For twelve years. He planned their lives. Where they would live. How many kids. Then, poof, she was gone. Twelve years he's looked for her. Home. kids. Football. Twelve years.
This sounded s
Ivy Deluca
Full review posted at After Dark Book Lovers blog http://afterdarkbooklovers.com/2015/0...

The Bottom Line
Issues aside, I liked it. I did feel a bit lost at times, so I would recommend this for fans of this series. Zack was a gem of a hero, though - those who adore their alpha heroes to be completely and utterly devoted to their ladies may want to check him out. I’m glad I read it.

Ambrosia
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Where do I begin? The first 70% is depressing. (See my comment.). Then it magically changes, and the last 30% is girl power action. And throughout the book is the premise that tru wuv is forever, even if you haven't seen each other in 12 years and have made huge changes. Doesn't matter. You don't need to get to know the person again. This was a depressing snoozer. And maybe my last MB.
Kelsey
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Safe at Last is not a short book, but for me it was a one sitting book. I picked it up and couldn't put it down until I finished. It was that good!

If you've read the other Slow Burn books you'll see all of your favorite characters come back. But this book focuses on Zack. 12 years ago Zack lost the love of his life. He was never sure if Anna-Grace, or Gracie as he called her, disappeared or died. Then unexpectedly he finds her.

Gracie has been through hell. 12 years later she is just starting to
Monica **can't read fast enough**
I love second chance at love stories because of the potential for healing past hurts, clearing up misconceptions and outright deceptions, as well as seeing how lives lived completely separate come back together. In SAFE AT LAST we get all of these with Zack and Gracie's story.

Zack is left behind without knowing why the love of his life took off. Zack is suddenly dealing with a lot of life altering events all at once. He is dealing with the loss of the profession that he wanted, the love that he
Jacqueline
This was a pleasant surprise after the last one of this author's books that I tried. Pretty angsty which is fairly normal for this author. I really liked the hero who had been looking for the heroine since she disappeared 12 years ago. The heroine was okay but pretty much a nonentity. There was a fair amount of repetition in this book in people's thoughts which is also fairly normal for MB. The book sort of went off the rails at the end for me when it suddenly changed focus and tone and shifted ...more
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dreams Lost

No truer words can express Zack and Anna-Grace’s lives for the past twelve years – the years after their young love was shattered leaving both of them in a state of confusion, fury, and pain. For Zack, the years have been filled with uncertainty, not knowing if his Gracie is alive or dead and wondering why she left him if she is alive. Gracie has lived a life of fear since she was 16, allowing her past to haunt and dominate her present and her feelings of betrayal to consume her. Neit
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The third book in Slow Burn series can be read as a standalone. This 3.5 Star book will pull you in because you will also want to know, WHAT DID ZACK DO???? For me, this part dragged a little too long. It was pretty obvious it was of some kind of sexual nature. The culprit behind what happened to Gracie was not a surprise. Still, this conflict was needed to build up the tension so that Zack and Gracie could have the conversation and hopefully come together again.

I really liked Zack. He is the bo
Anne
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't say I actually HATE this book, but I think there's no point in it existing and for someone to read it.

I, too, had read the first two books in the series and while the series will never be even in my top 5 of Banks' series, they were readable. The entire story in Safe At Last could be summed up in three sentences. I listened to the audio version (thanks public library for saving me an Audible credit) and I've found if a story is weak, audio amplifies that fact. Zack blathers on and on an
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
This was a chance to mend old hurts, loss, pain. Gracie had survived the pass just barely. Only allow one to get close and that was not out of need. The was just out of circumstance. The man was just plain stubborn and determined to be that friend she needed.

Zack lived his life to fix a wrong, a death he thought occurred. He never every imagined that his Gracie would come back in to his life. And be so terrified of him. This was a new piece to a growing attraction to this series.
Krista
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
SAFE AT LAST is the third book in Maya Banks' suspenseful Slow Burn series, which seems to be focusing on women with extraordinary powers as they navigate their dangerous lives with the help of the men associated with Devereaux Security. This book focused not on a Devereaux brother, but on a key member of their team and the girl from his past that he thought dead.

Zack has always been the quiet, intense brooding member of the Devereaux Security team. He has known love and lost it, when his colle
Ramblings From A Chaotic Mind
I’m not sure how to classify this book but it is most definitely not a romance. I don’t care what genre it’s hiding behind, but at the core of this book, romance is the furthest thing from what is going on. Redemption, sure. Romance? Nope. This is more women’s fiction (aka chick lit) than a romance. Shoot, I’ve read chick lit with more romance than this too actually.

Grace has been trying to get by, day after day for years. Her mantra is just to get through one more day and slowly rebuild herself
Quinn's Book Nook
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-romance
I hated this! I had so many HUGE issues with it. Full rant review soon.
The Geekery Book Review
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

What a great continuation of the Slow Burn series! I fell in love with this series, and the men of Devereaux Security, when I read In His Keeping, and reading Safe at Last just cemented my love of not only the series, but of the author too.

I don't think two characters have ever tore my insides up like Gracie and Zach together have. The missed opportunities these two dealt with, caused not by themselves, but by people who were supposed to care about them, is deliciously drawn out throughout the e
Mskychick
Jun 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: henrico-ebook
I deeply disliked this book, for so many reasons.
-we don't learn about what trauma happened to heroine until 42% of the way into the book. That was far too drawn out in my opinion. I was annoyed with the needless drawing out of this by 10% in
-Way too much talking and introspecting and agonizing. Not enough action, not enough romance
-mystery was pretty obvious. Bad guy is completely obvious
-2nd set of unrelated bad guys. It was like she couldn't help herself, Banks just had to keep piling on th
Chris- Bookaddict
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
Wow I started this only a few hrs ago. It totally consumed me. I <3 Zack!!!! Full review to come soon.
Peacock
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really wanted this book to be a 5. But too much internal dialogue. And not enough heat.
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

4 Lost Dreams Stars!

Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Avon, Sullivan and Partners via Edelweiss

I think this series started as a trilogy but blossomed into a full series as there is still so much more to happen with these characters at Devereaux Security.   In Safe at Last we finally get to find out more behind the mysterious but loyal Zack.

Since Zack as been twenty he has loved one woman.  The moment he met her as a girl he knew she was the one.  He planned for it.  Year
Raquel Bernardes
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: livros-fisicos
É o último livro desta trilogia e posso dizer que adorei. Embora no início do livro tenha ficado um pouco confusa com as personagens mas rapidamente consegui inteirar-me e devorei o livro. Adoro a escrita da Maya Banks, envolve cada personagem até ao último detalhe. O que não gostei? Da rapidez em que se apaixonam e finaliza-se a história. É muita acção e pouco romance pelo menos foi o que eu achei, gosto que seja 50/50, para que seja um bom romance.

Darcy
Meh...that is my thoughts with this one.

Zack was a little too, not quite sure, in the past, zeal for revenge, stalkerish disrespectful of Gracie. I get what happened to them was horrible, but he didn't know. So how he treated Gracie at the start of this one annoyed me. He could clearly see how terrified she was of him, yet he kept pushing her. Rubbed me the wrong way.

Gracie was bland in my book, like a frightened church mouse, who wouldn't be with what she lived through. But what annoyed me is
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to audiobook 2 11 Jan 20, 2018 02:03PM
The World of Maya...: Safe At Last 2 24 Apr 24, 2014 03:07PM
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Remembered By Moonlight (Moonlight, #9)
  • Full Throttle (Black Knights Inc., #7)
  • I Dream of Dragons (Boston Dragons, #1)
  • Fatal Strike (McClouds & Friends #10)
  • His to Take (Wicked Lovers, #9)
  • Want Me (Dark Obsession, #2)
  • Back to You (The Hurley Boys, #3)
  • Bengal's Quest (Breeds, #21; Feline Breeds, #17)
  • Master No (Masters and Mercenaries, #9)
  • Caged (Mastered, #4)
  • Edge of Darkness (T-FLAC, #10)
  • Harlequin E Shivers Box Set Volume 4: The Headmaster\Darkness Unchained\Forget Me Not\Queen of Stone
  • Master of Freedom (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven #7; 1001 Dark Nights #16)
  • Falling for a Santini (The Santinis, #7)
  • A Highlander's Obsession (Highlander's Beloved, #1)
  • I Spy a Dark Obsession (Shado Agency, #3)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.
More about Maya Banks

Slow Burn (6 books)
  • Keep Me Safe (Slow Burn, #1)
  • In His Keeping (Slow Burn, #2)
  • With Every Breath (Slow Burn, #4)
  • Just One Touch (Slow Burn, #5)
  • His Only Weakness (Slow Burn, #6)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“He hated being the object of scrutiny.” 1 likes
“The rest of the ride was a warm, fuzzy haze, her only memory arriving at the hospital and Zack's head appearing above hers when they unloaded her stretcher from the ambulance. He'd been grim and worried and lines of strain were evident in his face.

She'd given him a goofy smile and said, "Don't be sad, Zack. I'm a Valkyrie.”
0 likes