Start by marking “The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)

The Nethergrim

(The Nethergrim Trilogy #1)

Everyone in Moorvale believes the legend: The brave knight Tristan and the famed wizard Vithric, in an epic battle decades ago, had defeated the evil Nethergrim and his minions. To this day, songs are sung and festivals held in the heroes' honor. Yet now something dark has crept over the village. First animals disappear, their only remains a pile of bones licked clean. ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nethergrim, please sign up.
Dee1 Book 2 in The Nethergrim series, The Skeleth, is planned for release May 2016.…moreBook 2 in The Nethergrim series, The Skeleth, is planned for release May 2016. (less)
Matthew Jobin I am so glad you have enjoyed Book 1 of the series. I will keep you posted about book 2, first there is the paperback release of book 1 in February…moreI am so glad you have enjoyed Book 1 of the series. I will keep you posted about book 2, first there is the paperback release of book 1 in February 2015.(less)

Start your review of The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)
Faye, la Patata
For many months now, I've been trying to find that perfect YA Fantasy book to satisfy my thirst, but have found nothing that could really satiate that intense craving. So many of them these days have vague and shitty world-building, flat characters, and plotlines that are more apt to be called "plotholes". The majority of them also put too much emphasis on the romance, so much sometimes that other important aspects are forgotten and greatly overshadowed (I am looking at you, The Winner's Curse). ...more
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
So very impressed. It was darker and grimmer than I expected, but had that thread of hope in it that reminded me of both the first Harry Potter and the Seven Realms series. I was drawn in from the start and thought it was such an enthralling adventure. I loved Edmund and Katherine and Tom, though I felt desperately sorry for him. They were believable albeit very brave 14 year olds. I loved the legends and the magic system. And I just loved the writing, it was crisp and melancholy, menacing and ...more
Dolores
What a pleasant surprise! I am not a fan of fantasy novels, but I am now a fan of the Nethergrim series. The main characters and the world building were interesting and well-drawn, with a perfect dose of medieval magic. I became so immersed in this story and it was so believable; not once did I find myself saying, "Are you kidding me?"

This is perfect for fans of "Eragon" and "Narnia". I can't wait 'til someone else I know reads this so we can talk about it.
Sydney
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS SO MUCH. My only regret is not waiting to start until all three books have been released. It's going to be a very long wait, indeed.
Lisa
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
While browsing through the book galleys at work I came across "The Nethergrim". It looked interesting and although it is written for children 10 and up, I gave it a try. I was immediately drawn into the story of three friends (Edmund, Katherine and Tom) and their lives in the tiny village of Moorvale. After mysterious animal and children disappearances, the friends are forced into battle against the evil Nethergrim and his horrible minions. The Thornbeast was especially disturbing and scary to ...more
Tess
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waiting-for-next
JUST BEAUTIFUL. Dark, yet full of hope and real human nature. This is sure to be the next big thing, it was an amazing book and I can't wait for the next one. This book is definitely worth picking up even if you don't normally like YA or fantasy, it transcends those genres. I'm going to read it again and savor it.
Sally
It has been such a long time since I've been so engrossed into a book. This book was amazing and is definitely one that I'm going to keep an eye on.

I loved Edmund. He isn't described as tall, dark, and mysterious probably because it is a middle-grade book. I'm not one who fawns over male protagonists who have everything going on for them. Edmund was really likeable and felt really real to me. Maybe it was the underdog vibe I was getting from him.

The only thing that got me a bit iffy was Edmund
Alex Scholz-lague
The Nethergrim by Matthew Jobin was absolutely stunning. When this book is out in April, I would strongly advise picking up a copy, as I couldn't stop reading. The world and characters felt truly alive to me, and I can't imagine the quality of this book when the final version is released. If you enjoy fantasy on any level, this is a must read.
Tamara Richman
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Lord of the Rings lite! Great adventure fantasy with enough dark mystery to keep middle schoolers enthralled. Would have liked more background about magic and out it works but I'm sure it will be addressed in the sequel. Great for fans of Ranger's Apprentice, Eragon, etc.
Ruth Feathers
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colin
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Oh man, what a surprise this book turned out to be. Firstly, shout out to Mr Jobin for creating a YA fantasy book that I don't want to throw out the window. Secondly, shout out to my friend and book reviewer extraordinaire Faye! For introducing this gem of a book to me in the first place!

I'm a huge Fantasy fan in general and I read everything from epic fantasy to urban fantasy but I have to say, YA fantasy is a genre I'm not too fond of these days. Most of the time,
Jacki
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, enthralling, and charming. Great for Last Apprentice or Harry Potter fans.

Review at storytimehooligans.wordpress.com/2014...
LovesHorses
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Ranger's Apprentice
The Nethergrim is the kind of new book many of us have been awaiting for a long time - a story that engrosses us fully in a world so well crafted that is seems entirely real. The middle ages world of the Nethergrim is immersive and captivating with a cast of characters that will become your friends - and your foes - that stay with you long after you finish the book. The characters and the plot have the depth and richness to make this book as entertaining for adults as it is for kids.

The three
Booklover23
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nethergrim is being marketed a young adult or maybe middle grade fantasy, but it is definitely appealing to adults. The author manages to craft a story with layers that provides great crossover potential. The writing is so well crafted it is difficult to believe this is his first book. I got so caught up in the characters and their story that I could not put it down, I barely got any sleep for 3 days while I devoured this book! I contemplated taking time off work to stay home and read it :)

Alex
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a completely blind read for me that I was fortunate enough to pick up at Comic Con before it is to be released this coming April. What started as a, "let's try it out on the subway ride home" became a reading frenzy to the finish. Always trust a book with a map inside the cover, I say. It's hard to believe Mr. Jobin is a first time writer. As a fantasy fan and a school teacher I will recommend this book both to nerds and students alike. Mr. Jobin is a fantastic writer with a skill for ...more
Julie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great young adult novel.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This series opener has the feel of classic fantasy, yet it still comes across as fresh. Plenty of scary action and extremely likable young heroes.
Kelly Sierra
Edmund felt despair eating away at his victory. Why is the world like this? He shivered. Why does it feel so cold, so hard?
A smile flickered on Johns face, one that was neither happy nor sad. What would be the worth of goodness, in a world that always rewarded it?

Edmund is the older of two sons, and will one day inherit his fathers tavern; however, Edmund has other dreams. He wishes to be as powerful as the legendary wizard Vithric. Many years ago, a dark shadow passed over the lands, a
Mark E.
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up an advance copy from a good friend of mine, and I do not regret reading it one bit. After I kept thanking him, he suggested I join goodreads and share my thoughts instead. Here goes:

The Nethergrim is a surprisingly dark fantasy novel perfect for the early-teen crowd. It has a lot of suspense: from whodunnit to "oh please, no, don't go in there!"

It also paints a wonderfully everyday picture of life for everyday people in a setting rather like the European Dark Ages. Our heroes aren't
James Huffman
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jobin creates a fully realized world with internal myths, broad family dynamics, and complex main characters. He leaves you hungering for the next volume!
Jesse
Loved this. fast paced. well written.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy books, until I get one that I like. This one looked like standard medieval monster fighting fare, but our School Secretary Extraordinaire, Amy, really liked it, so I soldiered through. I'm glad I did, because fans of The Ranger's Apprentice or The Last Apprentice will need to read this one. There are always a handful of students who only want to read medieval fantasy, so I need to get a few new titles every year.

17938370Jobin, Matthew. The
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
I've been needing a good, solid fantasy story, and The Nethergrim worked perfectly.

The synopsis compares it to the Ranger's Apprentice series and Chronicles of Narnia, but it's definitely more Ranger's Apprentice. Not quite sure how it's supposed to be like Narnia. But whatever.

Everybody knows the story: The great knight Tristan and the wizard Vithric went to slay the Nethergrim. Sixty men went up - three men came down. But Tristan had managed to defeat the Nethergrim.

Except...that's not quite
Chi-Chi
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zbox-ya
Matthew Jobins The Nethergrim faced an uphill battle when I began reading. Its classified as a childrens book, instead of the YA book that it is. Its got a weird looking cover and even stranger back cover. The title is offputting. Honestly, after all that, I only gave it a try because I got the free ARC. So consider me shocked when I was drawn in after the first page.

The book is framed by the legend of a great hero named Tristan. Once you hear his story, you are brought to a sleepy small town
Jolandie Mielitz
Really, really good. Could easily be compared to one of the great children adventure stories.
Surprisingly eager for the next book to come out!
Nancy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legend says that the mighty knight Tristan and the powerful wizard Vithric entered the lair of the terrible Nethergrim and slew it. "And there, in those chambers, did I see with mine own eyes his works in all their dread and decaying splendor, for rotting there in that cold sanctuary lay the hoarded wealth of centuries, taken by force and fear and left to ruin in a lightless grotto. Upon the star lay seven children. The people wept for fury and for shame as the light of their torches did fall ...more
Angelica
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read! It's suspenseful, a page turner, and a crazy twist at the end!
Chapter by Chapter
Right from the get-go it was the title of author Matthew Jobins The Nethergrim that had me interested in reading. It sounded interesting, foreboding and after reading over the novels description I was interested in finding out where it would go. A middle grade novel dealing with fantasy and a bad guy way more powerful than they could even dream of being? Sounded like a great read and luckily for me it totally was.

Its been years since the evil Nethergrim was killed and main characters Edmund,
Mary
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful beginning to what promises to be a wonderful series! Beautifully written, with realistic relationships and characters who are not the cardboard stereotypes of many teen books. These characters are alive and real, and there is room left for them to grow and learn. For example, as a physically strong girl myself I could identify with Katherine and her feelings of being a misfit. In many books for teens these days, there are "girl fighters" but they all have high levels of confidence ...more
Robert
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-read
This is a phenomenal read! Action, adventure for all ages! I was hooked from the very first chapter! I was very impressed by the way the author develops his characters personalities and makes them come alive on the pages of this book. There are lessons to be learned here..read and enjoy!...Patiently awaiting Book 2.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)
  • Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • Bane and Shadow (Empire of Storms, #2)
  • Night of Dangers (The Adventurers Guild #3)
  • Zero Hour (Nick Stone, #13)
  • Hope and Red (Empire of Storms, #1)
  • De Kopiist: een mysterie in Arabisch Cordoba
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Schone handen
  • Atlas of the Celtic World
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
  • Wrath of the Storm (Mark of the Thief, #3)
  • Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, #1)
  • Rise of the Wolf (Mark of the Thief, #2)
  • The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3)
Matthew Jobin is an anthropologist and author. The Nethergrim, his debut fantasy series for young readers, was published by Philomel a division of Penguin-Random House. The Nethergrim was a finalist for the 2015 Monica Hughes Science Fiction and Fantasy Award and was named a Best Book for Teens by the New York Public Library. ...more

The Nethergrim Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Skeleth
  • De werthanknoop (De Nedergrim #3)