Start by marking “Assault or Attrition (The Arena Mode Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Assault or Attrition (The Arena Mode Saga, #2)

Assault or Attrition

(The Arena Mode Saga #2)

Thanks to an inoperable tumor pressing against his brain, Matthew Moxon was left with few options for survival. In 2041 his only chance was a multi-million dollar nanotech procedure – a price tag far out of reach until he entered ‘Arena Mode’: a no-holds-barred fighting tournament reserved for super-powered beings, where the winner would become one of the wealthiest people ...more
Published June 2014 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Assault or Attrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assault or Attrition

Keidy
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I purchased and pledged both the digital ebook and the hard copy paperback through Kickstarter.

When I first read "Arena Mode", the first book in this unique superhero battle royal novel, I was excited. "Arena Mode" was a quick and fun read with filled with ridiculous deaths, exaggerated fighting and an amazing supporting cast of super powered characters. As a sequel however, I would come to expect a lot more now that the groundwork has been laid out. There was much left unsaid about the world-bu
E
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The second book of a trilogy is often the easiest to fail at. Ms. Northcott shows her talent once again by doing exactly the opposite.

Having built upon familiar elements as a foundation towards crafting a unique and interesting universe all her own, the author now has the protagonist exploring the repercussions from choices and actions in the first novel. Here we see another tight and fast paced exploration of our protagonist fighting seemingly impossible odds.

Facing off against fanatical mobs a
Rose
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, fantasy
I’m giving this a four star but I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the first, although not enough to drop a full star. The fun and excitement you get from the first in a series is hard to match in book two.

By the end of Arena Mode, Matt Moxon had won the tournament, become a billionaire many times over and had a threat on his life by the little sister of the Russian superpower who died in the tournament. This carried on through book two…in fact, the threat was the basis of this story. For half
Sean
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
My first one-day read this year.
Excellent follow-up to Arena Mode. Excellent blend of character and action.
Read this.
Alicia
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one just as much as the first one!
John
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Randall Andrews
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a book! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more exciting, Blake amps up the action and leaves us wanting more! Nice job, moving on to the third one! @comicbookgrrl #arenamode, #blakenorthcott
John Patrick
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Arena Mode saga written by Blake Northcott. But I was worried how a followup novel to the first book Arena Mode would go. In that book the hero Matthew Moxon won. He survived a superhuman deathmatch and did it without any powers. He got the prize, got the girl, and for all intents and purposes would live happily ever after as the luckiest SOB on the planet. So what happens in book 2? Sure it would be easy to fall into the trope of a new tournament with new characte ...more
Erin L Dulle
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good book with some holes (Spoiler Alert)

After reading Arena Mode I was left wanting more and wholeheartedly thought I would get it with book 2. Maybe I set my expectations too high because I came away from this book a little frustrated and scratching my head.

Blake does a good job getting us back into the lives of Matthew Moxon and his group but does fail to explain a lot of things (for more details read the spoiler, otherwise just read the book).

The editing could use some help as I found a fe
Karsyn
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Back to wishing I could rate parts of books. I need to start a new book website where you can rate all individual parts of the book to get a complete view of it.

Didn't like as much as the first, didn't like almost the first half at ALL. It was dull and slow moving. It did finally pick up about half way through and the 2nd half was good enough to make up for the crappy first half. 2 stars for the first 50%, 5 stars for the last 50%. Decided to go with a 4 instead of a 3.

Again with the transcripts
Ryan Mangrum
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero, dystopian
Matthew Moxon has won Arena Mode and taken over the Frost corporate empire. He quickly learns money can't fix everything -- he's at odds with his new girlfriend, Taktorov's sister is raising an army to hunt him down, and much of the world bought into Taktorov being the Second Comming and hate him for killing their would be messiah. An action packed story from the start.

(view spoiler)
Arjen Schwarz
This second book in the series has a slow start as the main character tries to deal with the changes in his life following the events in Arena Mode. Despite the slowness though, I still didn't feel like putting the book away at any time so continued reading and after the first quarter/third the pace started picking up again.

While most characters are still fairly one dimensional they are interesting enough in their own way. Some of the interactions and conversations seem a bit strange at time tho
Chris Martin
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book 2 of the Arena Mode saga was a very satisfying read. I will admit, I struggled with how to rate this one because I thought the first half of the book was a little slow, but the 2nd half was incredible, like, really good. I ultimately ended up going with 4 stars because, as mentioned before, I thought the set up took a really long time but honestly I wish I could give it 4 1/2 stars because the final 2 acts are just THAT good.

I did NOT see any of the twists that happened and I don't believe
Keir
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Last week, I had no idea this book existed. When I found out, I immediately got myself a copy, and started re-reading Arena Mode.

I lost myself in this world, and lost track of time. The writing is crisp and engaging, and the characters lift off the page. It's the humanity of the leads that appeals to me, interesting in a world of superhumans. Mox is not perfect, and in spite of his advantages, is relatable.

Blake Northcott has quickly become one of my favorite authors, and I can't wait to get my
Adam Maxwell
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second installment of the Arena Mode series is as good as the last. Here the story takes a slightly more serious tone as the cast's situation turns grim and the stakes are raised. Where Arena Mode focused on the wonder and awe of superheroism, Assault or Attrition focuses on consequence and repercussion, questioning whether any ending can be truly happy. That it does this all without losing sight of the rhythm of the original is one of the things I valued about the read. All in all, a great ...more
Andy Parkes
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reading
Having stumbled across (and enjoyed) the first book, Arena Mode I was pleased to find out a second book had been released. I wasnt entired sure how a sequal would work but it did and I enjoyed it as much as the first.

The book has a geek audience in mind and is heavily influenced by lots of other popular works. It's an easy and enjoyable read so as long as you're happy to go along for the ride it's worth checking out
Jamie Teixeira
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wishing for a more likable Matt.

I'll be honest and say Matthew is not the most likable guy. He is never able to get over his awkwardness or keep the people in his life alive or happy. All that money and genuineness at his disposal yet he couldn't figure out to quell the red army. However, I really enjoyed the book and the reappearance of Melvin. I would have liked Matt to end up with a different girl but I'm just happy they are both alive.
Jace Ferguson
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad sequel, but not as good as the first. Personally, I was turned off by the references to various real-world pop culture items. It felt gimmicky and that's probably influencing my lower rating of this entry of the series. Besides that, though, there was a good amount of action and the characters were fun. Looking forward to checking out the conclusion.
Marcus
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished the second book in the series, and preordered the third and final one also, and I wasn't disappointed. The action was there along with the same characters that one got accustomed to with the initial story along with a little more history. There were some plot twist, with a little more philosophical bent to it. This was the perfect follow-up to the first book.
Fons
Like heroin this hero also only needs one time and you're hooked. And hooked I am.

This instalment in the trilogy is just as good (or as magnificently bad) as the first one and I liked every page.

3 stars. Try not to read this one after you've read the first, I dare you.

Tony Fecteau
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love the action! Has a healthy dose of drama as well for good measure. Mox is just a regular old genius trying to make the best decisions he can. I love the technology in the book and hope we can see it in real life.
Craig Vinton
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It gets better

She wraps book one up so nicely, and then brings us to this, a sequel with more thrills, strong characters a bit of humor, and some more pulse pounding action like we have come to expect. I don't want to give anything away now do I?
Sydnie Macelroy
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. Sadly, however, it did not live up to the standard set by the first in the series. The characters continue to develop, and Northcott's skill as a writer is indisputable. The plot, however, felt contrived and awkward. Still, it was well above average.
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
1st book was better. I did finish, although without a lot of 'Hurrah!'. Still will read the 3rd book, but---set expectations very low. Author is D list---you see it, you pick it up, you read it without emotion or excitement and then promptly move on and forget it in the next breath.
Toni
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great superhuman book, but too much heartstring tug

Rather formulaic writing-it's easy to see the influences on this book from other pop culture items. Still, an entertaining story. Though there's more real life drama in it than I prefer in my escape novels.
Michael
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A second part wow.....

After winning the first tournament Moxon finds life a little different as a billionaire lol. Wait Billionaire (spoiler) and old friends reunited(spoiler) and Spoiler Spoiler........... Can't wait for next book and novella.
Arielle Urban
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Sequels are always a gamble to read, but this one didn’t disappointed. It kept up with the first book, full of action and suspense. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was excited to see all the characters come together. Definitely curious what will happen in the next one!
Loki
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Decent follow on

A decent second novel in the series, though less action and more drama than the first book in the series
Dave Johnson
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-ebook
Very fast read. Great, nerdy story. Loved it!
Brian Williams
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super fun book

I thought the second book would expose the author as not having the ability to keep a good story arch going. Well A or A delivers. Thank you.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover - Assault or Attrition by Blake Northcott 3 15 Nov 10, 2014 06:16AM
  • Flood Rising (The Water Keepers, #4)
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Firefly: A Celebration
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • Sailor Moon Box Set 1 (Vol. 1-6)
  • My So-Called Life (Angela Chase, #1)
  • Doctor Who - The What, Where, and How: A Fannish Guide to the TARDIS-Sized Pop Culture Jam
  • The Trouble with Magic (Magic, #3)
  • Nomad (Swift, #2)
  • Fire Hazard (Cape High, #8)
  • The Avengers, Volume 1
  • Claws
  • Happy Snak
  • Aeralis (The Frost Chronicles, #5)
  • Splintered Energy
  • X-Men: Empire's End
  • Eye of Ra
Blake Northcott is a Canadian author and comic book writer.

Northcott's 'Arena Mode Saga' is Kickstarter's most-funded science-fiction series of all time, and the first book in the series was nominated for Britain's prestigious BSFA (Best Novel of 2013).

The series went on to sell over 250,000 copies worldwide and has received over a thousand five-star reviews across multiple platforms.

Blake was a

The Arena Mode Saga (3 books)
  • Arena Mode (The Arena Mode Saga, #1)
  • Final Empire (The Arena Mode Saga, #3)
“People can believe whatever they want – Heaven, Hell, angels, gods – if it gives you a reason to get up in the morning or helps you sleep at night, then it’s energy well spent.” 0 likes
“People can believe whatever they want – Heaven, Hell, angels, gods – if it gives you a reason to get up in the morning or helps you sleep at night, then it’s energy well spent. But if someone wants to wax intellectual about a divine creator who is by all accounts infallible, I always had the same response: the universe’s one and only absolute is math.” 0 likes