Start by marking “Love, in English (Love, in English, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love, in English (Love, in English, #1)

Love, in English

(Love, in English #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  15,172 ratings  ·  2,013 reviews
He’s thirty-eight. I’m twenty-three.

He speaks Spanish. I speak English.

He lives in Spain. I live in Canada.

He dresses in thousand-dollar suits. I’m covered in tattoos.

He’s married and has a five-year old daughter.

I’m single and can’t commit to anyone or anything.

Until now. Because when they say you can’t choose who you fall in love with, boy ain’t that the f*#king truth.

Published April 20th 2014 by Metal Blonde Books

To ask other readers questions about Love, in English, please sign up.
Alicia Violet Have you read where sea meets sky? This is primarily about Ambers cousin but its where we meet Amber for the first time, it takes place in New Zealand…moreHave you read where sea meets sky? This is primarily about Ambers cousin but its where we meet Amber for the first time, it takes place in New Zealand. :)

Karina has another stand alone series. The first book is The Pact. If you loved Love in English you will love meeting the McGregor men throughout the 5 books in that series. They dont need to be read in order at all they are all standalone. I highly recommend :)(less)

·  15,172 ratings  ·  2,013 reviews

Start your review of Love, in English (Love, in English, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
He slowly turned around. “What is love? In English.”
I raised my brows. “Love, in English, is love?”
“What is it in Spanish?”
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?”
He shook his head ever so slightly. “No. Love in Spanish is you.”
I got to hand it to Mateo, when you have a successful hit line, milk it for all it's worth.

This is not a contemporary romance. It is a fairy tale, a fantasy in which adultery is not only accepted but condoned and encouraged by everyo
Karina Halle
Jan 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"The heart is wild - isn't that what rib cages are for?"

I heard that quote the other day and it made me realize how much it relates to this book. Because the heart doesn't listen to reason nor does it want to be tamed. The heart is made to love and it will love whoever it fucking pleases.

Your heart has an open mind...and coming into this story, you should too.

This isn't horror.

This isn't scary (although love is terrifying).

This isn't suspenseful or paranormal.

This is real life.

Real life is about
Christy
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Estrella Stars!

LIVE-Amazon

LIVE- B&N

photo 860cb940-0f43-42d4-9ad1-10d0686778a3_zpsb082b3f1.jpg

Love is powerful. Love can pull people together and tear people apart. Love has no time limit, no regard for age, religion, race or social/economic status. Love is just love. You can’t control when you fall or who you fall in love with. Sometimes, it just happens.

Vera and Mateo’s story isn’t easy to read. It can be difficult for some readers to read about cheating. Especially when it’s cheating within a marriage. I guess this is a disclaimer, but I reall
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Renee
**PRICE DROP**
75% off - $.99-> http://amzn.to/1kqKPLm

11/1/2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For as long as man has been around, he has felt governed by the stars. But I do not believe this to be true. The stars may place us in each other's paths... Perhaps we were all fated to meet, to be here with each other - but it is up to us to decide to shine or not. The stars are not unreachable. They are not untouchable. and they do not control us. ... Design your own universe, make your own stars,
Alejandro
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, drama, romance
Believe it or not, I needed like a day after reading the novel to decide the rating and how to aproach my review.

I already read some novels by Karina Halle and I really like her writing style, character designing, background research for stories, etc...

I really like Karina Halle as author and I definitely will read more of her works.

So, I hope that my rating and review about this particular novel won't mislead you about my opinion about Karina Halle's work and even my overall reading experience
Emily May
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I should probably mention that I love Karina Halle. I think she's a classy, kickass lady who has had to deal with a large amount of internet trolls, but has always remained kind and respectful to all her readers. Second, I should say that I love the way she creates flawed, realistic and slightly unlikable characters but makes you love them anyway. I was addicted to her Sins & Needles trilogy, to the point where I obsessively watched out for the release dates. And I will still buy everything Hall ...more
Lucia
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Vera and Mateo:

"My name is Vera Miles.
And in the story of my life, I am the villain.
But I’m starting to think that most villains aren’t evil – they are just misunderstood.
Or victims of that most manipulative force: love. "

We don't choose love. Love choses us, attacks us, surprises us when we least expect it. You cannot ignore love, you cannot simply turn your back on love when it comes to your life. Vera Miles knows it the best and this is her story to tell. Don't judge, read it. Just rem
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo HaleLoveinEnglish1TitebySueBee_zpsa37d7ee5.jpg
 photo LIEstat0v2xBbysb_zps49631fda.gif
 photo LIE1storyxBbysb_zpsfc5d3487.gif
★★★★★! Love, in English, book 1 of 2. Sometimes the heart falls in love despite your better judgment! An against-all-odds romance!

“You and I, we were always a memory in the making.”

Books should be read in order:
Book 1: Love, in English
Book 2: Love, in Spanish

Love, in English (book 1) introduces us to astronomy student, Vera Miles, Estrella as she is heading to Madrid, Spain to spend a month teaching English to business executives at a remote resort. On the bus
Debra

★★★★★ 5 Brightly Shining stars! ** Love, in English is now LIVE on Amazon.

"You are my star. You are my Estrella."

I should start of by saying that I am a huge fan of Karina Halle's work. She never disappoints. Still, I was a bit nervous about starting this book. Mainly because of the angst and emotions I thought it would evoke and the slightly taboo subject matter. Of course I should have known better; there was no need to worry because once again Karina delivers an absolute winner. This time
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister

*3.5 Stars*

Karina Halle does complicated love, and does it well

A married family man with a child, plus a growing attraction for another woman has despair, destruction, and heartache written all over it.

And yet, it worked.

That's not to say this particular journey of infidelity was easy, but it was softened with just enough moral reasoning to be deemed acceptable, all while retaining its excitingly dangerous edge.

Love, in English offers a daring yet sweet contradiction, and thoroughly showcase
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
"Design your own universe, make your own stars,
write your own stories and create
your own destiny."

I love books that awake my feelings and this is definately one of them!!It's an incredible,powerful and emotional story.It captivated me from the beginning! Every time I read a new book from Karina, I'm impressed!Her writing is so unique that it evokes, lifelike situations within the reader's mind.The characters she creates are so real!

Love is unpredictable, we can't control who falls in love..T
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.75 ~ 4 Stars

This story was definitely well written, had a nice pace and made me want to apply for a passport and take a trip to Spain unfortunately, I didn’t love it.

I felt Mateo's fall for Vera had a lot to do with his want to reclaim his youth and happiness before he was injured and married...

description

Despite my feelings, their love seemed to be written in the stars, out of this universe, and all that jazz and I do believe the major majority of friends will love it.

Vera Milles is a twenty-three yea
Brandi
☆☆ 5 Shining Stars ☆☆

description

“Love is like a thief, it robs you of all thought and logic and all you have left is a heart that you can only pray is strong enough to survive the rest.”

Karina never ceases to amaze me. I absolutely adore everything she writes. Love, in English is a beautifully crafted, character driven story that will always have a special place in my heart. One of the things I appreciate most about Karina’s style is her ability to create such relatable, visceral characters – they are
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Karina Halle mentions in her acknowledgements that she worried that her first romance would be a failure, or that it was boring, or that people wouldn't connect with the characters. Well, Karina Halle...

There's no need to worry. It. Was. Amazing!

In fact, feel free to write some more...A LOT more! Granted not everyone is going to feel the way I do and that's okay.

description

However, there is one huge, glaring, warning beacon going off and if you've read the blurb, you have a good idea but I'm just going
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
3.5 STARS!!

I think Karina Halle has shown readers what a versatile writer she is – first she dazzles with fast-paced, action-packed stories such as The Artists trilogy and then a suspenseful horror romance like Donners of the Dead and now with her first contemporary romance. I think from the blurb it’s quite obvious that some form of cheating will occur – whether it be physical, emotional, or both and though it’s a touchy subject I wouldn’t be too worried about that part. I think the author addr
Navessa
Mar 26, 2014 marked it as side-eye
Cheating, huh?

Ilze
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I know I am in a minority here, but I just didn't like it.

How I felt about the story and the writing

How I felt about Mateo

And how I felt about Vera
description

And this is pretty much how I felt during the book
description

I have to say that I didn't mind cheating and I didn't mind that she was the reason why Mateo got(view spoiler), but I really fu#%king hated the fact she felt sorry for herself constantly. Don't do it or own up to it!(view spoiler)
Geri Reads
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was expecting this...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Instead I got this...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For a book who wanted to show readers the gray areas of love, this book is pretty much a cliched black and white. I was up for an unconventional heroine who fell in love with a married man. Not an easy subject to write about but if there's anyone who could have pulled this off, it would have been Karina Halle. I know this author can definitely write edgy and raw.

But no dice. Not even close.

For one, I was bored. Just bored. The first 50% was al
Kim Bailey
Thank you to the author for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

★★★★★ 5 STARS ★★★★★

Desire. Loss. Hope. Love.

Just like our main character ... this book is a brilliant, shining star. It is without doubt Karina Halle’s best work. I am still reeling from the staggering amount of true emotion this book was able to evoke.

Tears! I cried, big stupid tears … I yelled … I laughed … I swooned. And I will never think of a siesta the same way again!

sigh

It was so very perf
Dilek VT
3 out of 2,5

This book is out of focus...

Here is what happens:
- Married guy (38) meets a girl (23) and falls in love with her
- The girl falls in love with him too, although she tries not to, knowing he is married with a child. She even sleeps with another guy one night just to make her own point!!!! She wants to show that they are impossible.
- Normally, he lives in Spain, she lives in Canada.
- She is actually a student, he is a businessman (he was a footballer before but he got injured and quitt
Dee Montoya
******6++++ Estrellas Brillantes******

(BR With My book club babes, Patty, Alex, Carmen, and Rosita)

There are not enough stars to rate this book, for me this was pure perfection. A blazing story about a passionate love; the kind we all dream and fantasize about. Karina Halle words gripped my heart and emotions from the moment I started reading. Wow! truly captivating...

photo f66f1b6e-5fbe-402b-a58a-23be9170631f_zps3ef35071.jpg

Vera Miles is a twenty three year old woman from Canada, backpacking through Europe, looking for an aventure. Her last stop
Catarina
4,5 Brightly Burning Stars.

”I’m starting to think that most villains aren’t evil—they are just misunderstood. Or victims of that most manipulative force: love.”

What happens when two worlds collide?
Vera is a 23 years old Canadian girl, she enters on an English program in Spain. She believe she’s going to have the experience of her life. (And well, she will.)
Mateo is a 38 year old, businessman, married and with a 5 year old daughter. He doesn’t have any feelings for his wife anymore, he only st
Patrycja

Release Date: April 20, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Cliffhanger:. No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Karina Halle is one of my favorite authors; her books are always exciting, full of suspense and have the best yet the weirdest romances ever. I simply adore her! My love for her books made me break my number one rule. – I don’t deliberately read books with adultery. And look at me now, here I am rating and reviewing Love, In Engl
Amy Harmon
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Karina Halle fan. I discovered her with her Experiment in Terror series and didn't sleep for about two weeks as I devoured them one by one. When Love, In English came out I bought it immediately and I've been sneaking little pieces of it whenever I can, like the chocolate I hide from my kids in my underwear drawer. I haven't wanted it to end because then I will miss it. I will miss Vera and Mateo. And I will miss Karina. She writes effortlessly and the story flows that way, making yo ...more
Claire Contreras
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m a fan of “forbidden” romances, but I’m equally as hesitant to read them since they can go either way. Sometimes I love them, other times I loathe them. Karina Halle has managed to take a difficult subject and shed a beautiful light on it.

Love in English is not a love story, but a story about love.

Real love.

The soul mate, you know they’re meant to be together kind of love that doesn’t give you any other option but to root for them even if you know the circumstances are less than ideal.

Lik
Georgia ♥
5 Estrellas Untranslated

Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars

Compelling
Emotional
Fierce
Real

A love story with a KH twist, flair and talent.

description

Vera Miles the self-appointed villain in her own love story and Mateo Casalles the former soccer star Spaniard, married and lost in the daily stress and chaos, despaired and let down by their own families will find the stars in each others eyes and their souls will be reunited. Can love suffer distance and betrayal?

From Can
Natalie
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2020

“You and I, we were always a memory in the making.”

★★★★ ! Love, in English, book 1. Amazing, beautiful, spellbinding. A married, father falls for his exact opposite in Vera, half his age. Best read of year 2014!

Karina Halle at her best! I love, love romances with a traveling- theme, and reading Love, in English was a magical experience for me.
It made want to take the next plain to Spain. it's not often a book compels me like Love, in English did. Epic!
I absolutely loved Vera and Mateo's lo
Brenna
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's officially LIVE!
Amazon ➔ http://amzn.to/1i5S45v
B&N ➔http://bit.ly/LiE-Nook

Love, in English is a powerful story of finding love and finding yourself in the most unexpected places. It’s been a long time since a contemporary romance stole my heart and put me in a such a major book funk afterwards quite like this one did.

Vera, a twenty-three year old Canadian astronomy student is on her way to Spain. She has signed up for a program teaching conversational English to businessmen and woman. On th
Ali
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cry-baby

I need to be upfront with something. I hate adultery in books.  I'm not opposed to cheating in books, but adultery is a trigger for me.  I don't usually gravitate towards them.  Why? Because I think marriage is a truly special thing and its importance has been tarnished over the years.  Too often people enter it lightly or don't respect the commitment of it.  It is something that aggravates me, but that is just my issue and in no way a judgment on anyone else.

That being said, I had some trepidat
Alex is The Romance Fox
Intoxicating!!! Unique!!! Special!!!
Love in English by Karina Halle photo images9_zps1fc9ee00.jpg
I have been unable to get this book out of my head since I finished the last word…and the beauty of the writing by this author ……just extraordinary, just astonishing!
“What is love? In English.”
I raised my brows. “Love, in English, is love?”
“What is it in Spanish?”
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?”
He shook his head ever so slightly. “No. Love in Spanish is you.”

Vera Miles arrives in Spain to take up
Mateo keeping the peace 8 150 Jul 23, 2014 04:58AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add nook/ebook version 3 18 Jun 06, 2014 02:11PM
Another awesome BR on 24.04.2014! Join us! 76 94 May 02, 2014 10:05AM

• Our Way
  • Playing with Fire
  • Inked in Lies (The Fallen Men, #5)
  • Teacher (Voyeur, #6)
  • Coach Me
  • Hands Down
  • Heartless
  • Love Unexpected
  • The Player Next Door
  • The Hunter (Boston Belles, #1)
  • We Were Once
  • Exodus (The Ravenhood Duet, #2)
  • Him
  • Credence
  • Out of Love
  • Hush, Hush
  • The Wreckage of Us
  • Dear Ava
Karina Halle is a screenwriter, a former music & travel journalist, and the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of The Pact, A Nordic King, and Sins & Needles, as well as sixty other wild and romantic reads.

She, her musician husband, and their adopted pit bull, Bruce, live in a rainforest on an island off the coast of British Columbia, where they operate Raven Ri