Start by marking “Euphoria-Z (Euphoria-Z, #1)” as Want to Read:
Euphoria-Z (Euphoria-Z, #1)

Read Excerpt

Euphoria-Z

(Euphoria-Z #1)

"Crazy! Can't wait for the next one!!!!"

"while there is plenty of putrid zombiness here there is soooooooo much more!"

"It’s nice to find a new idea on how people came to be zombies."

Civilization shuts down as the world’s population fills the streets in a deadly orgy. They feel only pleasure and never pain, even as they are injured, maimed, and mutilated. The few who rem
Paperback, 1st ed., 411 pages
Published May 12th 2014 by Luke Ahearn (first published April 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Euphoria-Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Euphoria-Z

Jamie
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I tried to read this but it quickly fell apart for me. Started off decent, the first couple pages but then started to read like an outline. It became jumbled and rushed with no details. In less than 5 pages there is a failed presidential speech, angry reporters, an asteroid hits and some billionaires setup the apocalypse of the world but it fails as the virus turns them and many others to zombies. It was so rushed and jumped all over the place in way too short of a time-span. maybe it gets expla ...more
Luke Ahearn
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: zombies
Um, I wrote it. Is it ok for me to add it?
Staci
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was excited when I read the synopsis. I thought, Yea an interesting new take on the whole zombie apocalypse idea, which I love. I am addicted to The Walking Dead graphic novels. I've been reading them since they first came out.

It ABSOLUTELY hate when people leave bad star ratings and a comment like, "I couldn't even finish it", how can you leave a review for something you didn't read? For that reason ALONE I read the entire book.

I have not researched the author, so I'm not sure, but this bo
Richard A Peters
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While this was longer than a normal thriller, maybe longer than it needed to be, it was still a lot of fun and as realistic as a zombie book can get. Despite the description, I wouldn't consider this any more graphic than the typical apocalyptic tale.

The gritty and far-from-perfect heroes are a breath of fresh air in this genre. Don't expect some super warrior with a heart of gold to step in and save the day. You've got pop-culture obsessed, entitled kids and wannabe thugs trying to survive the
Diana R. Starr
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read a shameful amount of apocalyptic novels and I don't always bother with a review. This book deserved one. The author has succeeded in creating an original spin on the classic shambling zombie tale. From Chapter 1 the action is non-stop and the gore is intense, but the author manages to weave some excellent character development and philosophy into the story as well. We follow the stories of several likable characters, as well as some intensely UNlikable ones. Really an exciting read and at ...more
Desiree Putaski
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Euphoria Z is NOT for the weak stomach! Not only is the gore described in amazing detail, if bad language, racial slurs, and a constant barrage of other negative terms are a turn off for you… then you should stay away. As a matter of fact, I would suggest that you not read the excerpt either…. just stop now. If you can stomach all of that, then proceed.

This book started off a little slow, I did find myself struggling through the first couple of chapters trying to get a strong grasp on what was g
Raquel
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Raquel by: Luke Ahearn
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.

I'm not really sure how to rate this one, let alone write a review for it. It was long, very long, and the way the zombies came to be was original. I've surely never seen that anywhere before. I think this would make a great movie.

What I liked:

-The beginning. Chaos ensues as the world realizes an asteroid is headed their way. Only, the day of expected impact comes, and...nada. Everyone's left like wah, wah, waaaahhh.
-Euphoria-Z. It was
Danielle
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A particularly brutal depiction of life after a total collapse of order. I've read a couple of zombie novels but tend to watch more zombie shows. The shows I've watched can't compare to the detail of the grotesque state of the humans after they come back. There were a couple times that the descriptions made me both smile and go "eww". An added "He was wearing one shoe" at the end of a description about "flesh just gouged out of his body" seemed odd but was a nice addition.
What I liked most was
Dana Micheli
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, nothing thrills me more than an author who can take an old (even overused) idea and make it new. Imagine if vampire stories had ended with Dracula? We would have never had The Historian, True Blood or Twilight. Well, that’s what Luke Ahearn has done for zombies. While Walking Dead fans are still waiting to find out what set off the apocalypse, Euphoria Z fans are well aware of the terrifying truth. He also puts a new spin on that dystopian society we’ve seen so much of recently; in ...more
Lara Frater
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book to review. After a man made virus is release that eventually turns almost all humans into zombies, the main character Cooper searches for his sister. Meanwhile other survivors band together to make a new life where they not only have to avoid the zombies but other more devious humans. This is different then other zombie novels because of the author's detailed description on the virus from beginning to end. It's a fun read where you root for the main characters ...more
Emilie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Did not finish this book. It was straight up boring.
Patti
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was beyond bad. In one sentence, he used the same word 3 times in a six word span...and the sentence still kept going. And was then used in the next sentence. I had to re-read multiple paragraphs just to see where he was going.

The plot sounded good, but was poorly executed. I tried hard, because I love most things zombie and liked the idea, but damn, it was a very hard slog. I finally gave up about 75% in because I just couldn't take it anymore.
Angela Burkhead
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Welcome to the happiest place to die... the first time around. When the rich and powerful seek to gain control of the world they decide they only need a small percentage of it. Coming together in a plan to release a plague that would wipe out the majority of society, their goal was achieved at an unprecedented success rate. The people died euphorically, swarming the streets to happily partake in celebratory orgies and any and everything they could indulge in under the influence of the zombie vir ...more
BookLoversLife
I'm absolutely speechless with this book, to be honest. I struggled BIG time to finish it because there was very little I liked about this, but finish it I did. Now I've read a lot of post apocalyptic fiction but none has come close to this in relation to the overall feeling of it. I'll start off by saying that how the Zombies started was unique, I mean the fact that they start off by being extremely happy and over affectionate was unique and I liked a whole 2 characters, Cooper and Sal but othe ...more
Netanella
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
First paragraph: One year ago…
“We are coming for you, you bastard!” The shout echoed through the forest. They’d been stalking him and now they were very close, but only because he’d allowed it.

I received a free copy of this book for a fair review. Thank you, Mr. Ahearn. Nice read.

I would rate this one a 3 1/2 stars, rounded up to 4. There are many elements of this book that I enjoyed - as zombie fiction, there was lots of action, gory sequences, hair-raising near escapes, and characters that yo
Annie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

This is a fresh twist on the zompocalypse...but I still don't understand why these 9 rich dudes decided to wipe out most of the population....and they way this story hops around was really confusing at times....you really couldn't get a chance to solidly bond with anyone...that being said...Luke is a good writer...he is very descriptive, and paints a good clear picture...that is always an awesome thing in a book...especia
Lupe Dominguez
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good zombie book!
Recommended to Lupe by: Author, Luke Ahearn
Euphoria-Z is definitely NOT for the weak stomach. The gore can be pretty descriptive at times, but it's enough for the kind of book it is. The character development was fantastic, I really was pulling for Cooper the whole time, then all of a sudden, we meet new people and you just hope beyond hope that they all find each other and oh man. It was so well developed. I would read this at work and would go home, thinking about how badly I wanted to keep reading it! It was very well written, not too ...more
Marc Stern
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the author as I think he is very talented. He makes writing look very easy. The basic premise is the world is given a chance to "don't worry...be happy!" to the max. Society quickly breaks down, morality goes away quickly, people start doing things they would never -- in a normal world -- dream of doing.

Where did it come from? Was it part of a meteorite that passed through the atmosphere? Was it part of a comet's tail? Was it really a government plot to depopulate the world (not a great
Laura Thomas
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You’ll get a strong dose of zombie gore in this book. Nothing you can’t handle though.

I was all excited about the comet that was going to strike. Then, once it hit, I was as disappointed as the characters. Nothing happened. But then it did. Just not how I expected.

People got happy, strangely happy, then they died horribly and rose again. The author got creative with this. It’s nice to find a new idea on how people came to be zombies.

You’re then in the beginning of the apocalypse, but the stor
Scottnval Zeck
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival, zombie
I agreed to read this book and write a review. So here goes nothing..... I totally loved this book! I almost said no to reading it but I am soooo happy that I did! I stayed up until 5am Saturday night reading it even though i had to get up at 830 the next morning. So I loved all the characters and how I got to see all the different characters pov, even the bad guys. The main character is cooper who is going to find his sister in a nearby city. I do wish the book would have been more about him bc ...more
Jina
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
* I will try not to include spoilers.

in this book the world has ended as we know it. People are infected. Do not let their carefree and happy demeanor fool you. They take a beating and still keep going all with a smile on their face as they come to feast off you.

Cooper is one of the few who manages to keep going despite the challenge he faces as he searches for his sister. As if, zombies were not enough he has to face some pretty crazy humans as well. Acts of kindness are questioned as some huma
Brodie James
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2review
Euphoria-z by Luke Ahearn was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
This is not Luke's first book, he also owned his own computer game company and has published many books on the subject.
Luke is a talented Post Apocalyptic author and gives a refreshing new spin to how the zombie virus started. there is definitely no shortage of zombie gore in this book.

This is a tale about several people trying to survive n a zombie riddled land and not all of them are good. Sometimes fighting for surviva
RJ
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The beginning of this book is quite slow and taxing. I wonder how many readers were lost in the first few chapters. If you can get past this first part it does get better. It begins to chronicle two sets of survivors; Sal & Ron, and Cooper & Anna as they try to make their way to safety from the infected. In a plot we have seen before, some maniac wanting to depopulate the world and start over with himself or themselves in the seat of power. Of course this plan goes horribly wrong and the ...more
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Euphoria Z

Luke-Ahearn

This story was a journey. I could not believe what I was reading, and i cannot still believe the

workings of the human mind when it goes into that bad, dark place. I cannot imagine how the author could have lived the experience of that book. I suppose in writing my books, I live the experience of the characters in the book for the book to become realistic. So writing that book would have been quite exhausting for me.

Thank God that it was prophesied in the Holy book that th
T.W. Brown
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for me. And here is why...

This book starts off like gangbusters. It has a lot going on and some very interesting characters. I also applaud the "twist" on the zombie epidemic. If you have not read "The Loving Dead" then you might not be in tune with this particular twist. Personally, I love when a writer takes chances. Luke Ahearn absolutely did just that. For the most part, it paid off.

For me, it just seemed to bleed into a slurry of characters that I could not discern between. It is
Sianne Morrison
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one. A new twist on the old zombie theme. Easy to read with great story lines. Loved the way all the stories merged together towards the end in a believable, sensible ending. I will be looking out for anything else by this guy. One to re-read, after I wrestle it back off my son!

Another fantastic Good Reads giveaway.

Typos
- page 160, line 24 - "site" should be "sight"
- page 211, line 2 - "They girls" should be "The girls"
- page 295, line 21 - "Now Dale" should read "Now Tug"
Nikki
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
i've read a handful of zombie books - World War Z, Day by Day, The Remaining, etc. this is a welcome addition to the genre and it carves out its own niche very well. it's intense, gross, funny at times, and well written. it's definitely not a PG or even PG-13 zombie book - but honestly, if you're reading zombie books you should be craving the Rated R ones like this. you can't go wrong with this book...i highly recommend it!
Nikki
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Gory, Gross, Yucky. Exactly what you want in a zombie book. I had to take off some cool points for editing, predictable bad guys and unbelievable happy endings. Why are the baddies always bikers? Don't accountants, office managers, or geography teachers ever become murdering jerks in the apocalypse? Even with the clichéd bits there were a lot of neat things I hadn't read before. I will give the sequel a shot when it comes out.
Theresa
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read!! Not your usual zombie book. A virus that makes people feel good instead of sick before dying. A great group of characters and thrills to keep you on the edge of your seat. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to read a zombie book above the norm. GREAT READ!! Can hardly wait for the next one!
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gritty and very real. It makes you feel like you are going through zombie hell right along with these characters. If you are a fan of The Walking Dead you will enjoy this book!
Looking forward to the next in the series!
I've cycled through several Euphoria Cream 1 1 Oct 04, 2017 11:41PM
Writers and Authors: Euphoria-Z a post apocalyptic zombie novel 1 10 Jun 10, 2014 08:47AM
Apocalypse Whenever: 99 cents for limited time Dystopian Zombie 1 12 Jun 03, 2014 04:24PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Euphoria Z free zombie apoc novel 4 26 Jun 02, 2014 02:27PM
zombies: Free 1 3 Jun 01, 2014 04:27PM
Zombies!: Zombie novel, free 3 13 Jun 01, 2014 09:35AM
Connecting Reader...: Euphoria Z - free 1 1 May 31, 2014 09:07PM

• Revelations (The Becoming, #3)
  • Vaccination (Vaccination Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Infection
  • Pockets of the Dead (Dawnland Book #1)
  • The Smell (The Rot, #1)
  • Meat Camp
  • Hold Me (Life After the Outbreak #3)
  • Mace of the Apocalypse (Mace of the Apocalypse #1)
  • After The Virus
  • Until Morning Comes (Carlie Simmons #1)
  • Comes the Dark (The Dark Trilogy #1)
  • Love and Decay, Episode Three (Love and Decay, #3)
  • Darkbound
  • Zombie Youth: Playground Politics
  • Zocopalypse (Death Fields, #1)
  • This Would Be Paradise (This Would Be Paradise, #1)
  • Gods of the Dead (Rising #1)
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
I have over 20 years of professional game development experience. I have also authored numerous books, ran my own computer game company for ten years. I own Creative Cover Designs (www.LukeAhearn.com) and do covers for all manner of book.

Euphoria-Z (3 books)
  • Transformation (Euphoria-Z, #2)
  • Transition (Euphoria-Z, #3)