Start by marking “The Brush of Black Wings (Master of Crows, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Brush  of Black Wings (Master of Crows, #2)

The Brush of Black Wings

(Master of Crows #2)

During a foray into the woods of Neith, Martise stumbles upon a ruined temple and reawakens not only a power she thought lost, but also something far more malevolent. An ancient darkness, imprisoned in an eternal cage, sees a chance at freedom in a woman once held in bondage.

Desperate to save her, the Master of Crows will break the barriers of time and worlds to challenge
Published July 14th 2015 by Smashwords (first published July 13th 2015)

Start your review of The Brush of Black Wings (Master of Crows, #2)
Paige  Bookdragon

The first thought that came into my mind after reading this book is:

I WANT MORE.

The Brush of Black Wings is the sequel to the Master of Crows and let me tell you, if you loved Silhara's snappy comebacks and shades, then you will enjoy this novella.

The story takes place after a few years of being married. I just want to say that Silhara and Martise are one of the best married couples ever. It's sweet to see a guy openly shows his devotion to his wife and Silhara is a 10 out 10 in the husband dep
-ya
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it

Silhara: “Do you trust me?”
Martise: Always.
Silhara: You know that isn’t true.
Martise: I trust you when it counts most.

Ever since I read Master of Crows early this year, I have pretty much picked up every Draven’s book I can get. This sequel only has 102 kindle pages, but there is no shortage of humor, twist, and magic. The plot presents a great potential for the future installments. Fingers crossed this is not the last book for Silhara and Martise because I have become attached to these beloved
Douglas Meeks
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OK, I came in from a hard day's work and after cleaning up I thought "I will just read a few pages before bed", sadly that was NOT going to happen for several hours, curse you Grace Draven.

I started in on the story at about the 20% mark from a previous day's reading that I was forced to abandon because I am married (and have a desire to remain that way). It seems that windows have to be cleaned every 5 years or so I have been told and it was my turn (actually it is always "my turn" for this task
Kells Next Read
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm always pleased with Grace Draven's work.

I'm slowly but surely working my way through all her novellas and books. Yeah!!! ♥ ♥
Irene Sim
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I'm a bit confused by this story. It was published a year prior to "Eidolon" but it contains part of the story of the "Wraith Kings" after what happened in "Eidolon". Without wanting to spoil things, if you've read "Eidolon" and anxiously are waiting for "Ippos King" pick this up. It doesn't spoil things too much for "Master Of Crows" if you haven't read it yet (but please do if you haven't already, you're missing on a great book) and answers to the question (view spoiler)
Zeek
A novella set perhaps a few years after the ending of Master of Crows, Martise finds herself falling upon some long dormant old world magic while on a mushroom hunt for their beloved silent man servant. Not only does she awaken what appears to be an ancient demon- she awakens her own magic, thought drained and gone.

Sucked into a realm out of space and time, Silhara must rescue his wife and solve the mystery she happened upon if either of them are to survive.

Fast read, of course, and though I’m
Melindeeloo
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, x2015
4.5 stars - Novella length, Brush of Black Wings brings us back to the Master of Crows world of Crow Mage Silhara and his former apprentice, now wife, Martise. I really enjoyed this but the ending felt unfinished until I realised that it looks like this story will tie to Draven's Wraith King series -(and I was wondering how she was going to follow up Radiance and now we have an inkling.)

As always, I love Silhara and Martise, him grouchy and her beautiful to him because of his love for her. I als
Beanbag Love
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give it 4 but in all honesty, I really enjoyed it. I was bummed that the ending was abrupt, IMO, and that a thread was left hanging to be resolved in a short story to be purchased later. That feels a little like I'm being taken advantage of as a reader.

And it's not like I didn't know what was up with that thread anyway. So ... yeah, that left me with a bad taste.

But everything else that I love about this author is right on in this story. I wish it had been a full novel, but maybe
Celestine
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lendable, fantasy
The Brush of Black Wings starts out almost like this lovely little epilogue to Master of Crows, albeit five years later. It's a cold, winter morning and Silhara doesn't want Martise to get out of bed. They have an adorably sweet snuggle, but Martise must be on her way to pick mushrooms for servant/friend Gurn. Voiceless Gurn somehow brings comic relief to this oh-so-normal morning with flippant gestures about his Holy Laziness lolling about in bed. Even smelly hound Cael hasn't died and accompan ...more
♡Karlyn P♡
Apr 11, 2014 marked it as wish-list
You can take a sneak peak snippet of chapter 1 here:

Ann (annreads)
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
“His eyes, usually as black and hard as obsidian were softer now, with the sheen of a crow’s wing in sunlight. “You love me anyway,” she teased.
“That’s true,” he said softly.
“Your weakness,” she replied in equally quiet tones.
“No. My strength.” They made love, this time without the power of their combined Gifts flowing hot between them, yet Martise would argue with anyone that its absence made no difference. There was sorcery aplenty in loving the one you held most dear.”

I’m absolutely obsess
Lindaisa
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ITS ONLY A NOVELLLAAAAA

I didn’t know that…I loved it but I seriously want to cry. I love Silhara and Martise sooooo much! And I think I know whats going on with her at the end of the book too. But from the patterns of Grace Dravens writing….my suspicions might not be proved correct for a few years….GGAAAHHH!!!

The Brush of Black Wings is a nice short story that takes place a few years after Silhara of Neith, Master of Crows defeats the God of Corruption with his wife Martises help and her very u
Keri
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Grace Draven is so talented and this 2nd story with Silhara and Martise and it was just as good as the first one. Martise is kidnapped by what she thinks is a demon, via a portal that is opened on their property. Silhara wastes no time in going after his wife. Once he gets to the dark place, all is not as it seems. I do hope that we get another story, because I want to know what is going on with Martise and her "Gift". I think I know and if it is, yea!! I also would like to know what ends up hap ...more
Dr susan
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shhhh....I have an ARC!!!! I have to reread MoC because I am obsessive like that. *totally awkward nerd dancing*

First, I loved TBoBW, but I don't want to spoil anything, so this review will be very vague....mwah hah hah hah.

The story is set almost 5 years after Master of Crows. Martise goes out in the first snowfall to harvest mushrooms and finds more than mushrooms at one of the ruins in Neith's cursed woods.

Draven's deft touch for romantic fantasy with a chilly breath of horror shines in this
~maheen~
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
There are so many unanswered plot holes but I’ll let it slide for now.

It’s always like I’m seeing only the top layer of a much deeper world. It was alright though for a ‘light’ read...
Kara-karina
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was lovely to get back into relationship between Silhara and Martise five years into their marriage. My only complaint is that as a novella this book is a bad tease of things to come as it crosses path with the world of Radiance in a very peculiar way. Silhara is as usual unapologetic, forceful and rude, and I loved this about him. The Brush of Black Wings is full of secrets and promises, and I demand some sort of continuation of the story now!
h o l l i s
I feel so conflicted about this one. It's more or less a given that I really like, if not love, everything Draven writes. This couple especially has just been so wonderful to experience. I find everything the author conjures up to be fascinating and interesting, dark and hopeful, funny and sexy. But THE BRUSH OF BLACK WINGS, even though it had all of those elements, didn't really do it for me.

I liked seeing the tie-in to the Wraith Kings series. I loved the banter between Martise and Silhara. A
Alexandria
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok

description

Idk. I had really high hopes for this book, and I found the preview interesting, but all in all, I found the book really disappointing. Tbh, I read it a week ago, and let me tell you.... I don't actually remember the story anymore.

First of all, I thought this was going to be a longer book and not a novella. That was the way that it seemed like pre-release... also what the hell, the release just snuck up! It was like no release date...no release date... no release date... BAM! Its out.
Seffra
5 stars!!!!!

Wow wow woooowwww!!!! Ms. Draven has a way of storytelling!! She's phenomenal! How can someone incorporate an epic love story (2 stories), an intense villain, and such great humour!?? I don't know how but Grace Draven does it! I have a seriousl love for Silhara and Martise and even Gurn. I loved revisiting these characters and the magic. Grace Draven's writing is a gift to behold and she must never stop writing!
RachelW (BamaGal)
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow...this is the way fantasy should be written. So wonderful to be back in Martise and Silhara's lives. The gray world of Megiddo was so real you could feel it. So much more to know about Megiddo and Acseh when Draven writes more in the 'Wraith King' series. I cannot wait for that...so much more to their story.

Wonderful fantasy, absolutely fantastic read. Highly recommended!!
Tamara
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update: 4/29/16
The Wraith King did get to be in another book. Read the series "Wraith Kings" before Mater of Crows.

The wraith king really deserves his own book.

This is five years after book one. And in the end, we get a little surprise (you have to understand the symptoms to understand what the author is getting at without actually saying it).
Snow
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

4-4.5 brilliant stars

review to be posted
Lady Jaye
Grace Draven writes so beautifully. I am always left in awe of her word choices. They paint such pleasant, magnificent imagery. Even in the moments when I think the writing is overwrought, I cannot help but marvel - she does it so well. She's an amazing wordsmith and I am in awe.

As for the story you can imagine my pleasure and surprise when I finally realized that Meggido is (was?) the monk left behind when Brishen and Serovek and the other guys from the Wraith Kings series, well, became Wraith
Wyrdness
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Is there anything that Grace Draven writes that I wont immediately love? She's like some fiendish word wizard that keeps me enthralled for hours at a time, ceaselessly reading until there is nothing left but the bittersweet emotion of a beloved story come to its inevitable conclusion.

A part of me wishes this had been longer simply because I didn't want it to end, but honestly it's exactly the length it should have been to avoid becoming unnecessarily dragging or too short to embroider extra deta
Danielle
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, as usual.

I'm only knocking 1/2 a star off because I wish this was a full-length book instead of a novella. I would've loved to know what's transpired within the five years of Silhara and Martise's marriage. That was my only qualm. I absolutely loved the crossover character from Eidolon (I had always wondered what happened to --name removed for spoiler--, and I'm so glad that I figured it out! I'm pretty much demanding another book from G. Draven. Not on Silhara and Martise, but from
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
Loved this novella which is set 4 years after Master of Crows. Silhara and Martise are such a sweet couple. I only wish it was a little longer and we could have found out what became of Megiddo and Acseh, and it ended in a way that left me wanting more of Silhara and Martise. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Mara
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
She spins silk into gold.
Please read these reviews:
- RachelW https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
-Wyrdnesshttps://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull
3 1/2 stars

The Brush of Black Wings is a fairly short novella that takes place 5 years after The Master of Crows. Martise and Silhara are happily married; living at Neith, awaiting the rejuvenation of Silhara’s orange grove that was destroyed during his epic battle with the god Corruption. It starts out with an idyllic morning. Martise is up early to gather the short blooming delicacy of parasol mushrooms so their faithful friend and quasi servant Gurn can whip them up into a breakfast treat. Si
Cheesecake
Martise and Silhara. Not really a stand alone book, but you could do it. I would bet you would want to go back and read the first book when you are done though. A very satisfying romance adventure on a big scale but brief format. How does the author manage to get so much down with so few words and yet you don't feel cheated in any way?! This is the sort of love I look for in stories but rarely find. The little actions of tenderness that speak volumes. The devotion! The story takes place 5 years ...more
Rose
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I cannot get enough of Silhara and Martise!!
The Brush of Black Wings is a novella/sequel to the Master of Crows, which begins with Martise and Silhara settling into the comforts of Neith. However, their lives become entangled once more in dark magic and adventure when Martise stumbles upon an ancient ruin, which leads to her being kidnapped by a demonic king. With Martise stranded in an inbetween-world; Silhara and Martise must use their arsenal of knowledge and sorcery to find each other and es
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Sep 23, 2015 11:58AM

• Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Seduced by Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1.5)
  • Crown of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #2)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Under a Winter Sky
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Curse of the Troll (The Otherworld, #6)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • Veins of Magic (The Otherworld, #2)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
I'm an author and Louisiana native living in Texas with my husband, three smalls and a big doofus dog. I have lived in Spain, hiked the Teton Mountains, honeymooned in Scotland, ridden in competition rodeo and am the great great granddaughter of a Nicaraguan president. I also hate doing laundry and refuse to iron anything.

I've loved storytelling since forever. I published my first short story with

Master of Crows (2 books)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)