Start by marking “The Lucky Charm (Portland Pioneers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lucky Charm (Portland Pioneers, #1)

The Lucky Charm

(Portland Pioneers #1)

Librarian's Note: An alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here and here

IT’S THE BOTTOM OF THE NINTH . . .

Izzy Dalton’s about to strike out. Her new job as the sideline reporter for the Portland Pioneers major league baseball team is problematic on several levels:

1. Baseball is her least-favorite sport. Falling behind golf, tennis, and maybe even curling.
2. What Iz
Published May 4th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services

Start your review of The Lucky Charm (Portland Pioneers, #1)
Mandi Schreiner
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, sports
Jane from Dear Author recommended this to me. I've been on a sports romance kick lately and I'm so glad I read this one. I will say it took me a few chapters for me to warm up to our hero and heroine, but I ended up really enjoying them. The hero especially becomes quite adorable.

Izzy Dalton loves journalism behind the camera, but when her boss and mentor gets pushed into an early retirement, Izzy finds herself being shipped off as a sideline reporter to Portland's Major League Baseball team, Th
Angel Lawson
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In general my tastes in fiction run from zombies to dystopians with a side of paranormal and off-beat contemporary. Rarely do I read romance because I'm not a fan of the usual tropes and everything feels so...predictable but when I found out about Beth Bolden's new romance I asked for an ARC (okay begged) because I'm a fan of her style and she's always written romance in a way that I enjoy. Not too cheesy, not too lame. No insta-love but excellent plotting, real story-telling and interesting cha ...more
Jill
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Michelle [Helen Geek]

Saly
I liked this one. The hero wasn't a jerk and typical jock but instead was nice honest and down-to-earth and super cute and understanding with the heroine. The heroine was an orphan for whom her career meant everything since it was tied up with her parent's loss so when she lands in broadcasting hell and finds herself liking the hero she does her level best to keep away. Despite understanding her reasons, the heroine did frustrate me but the thing is unfortunately women are judged by a d
Jacob Proffitt
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
This was a great little romance. I liked Izzy and Jack very well, and the dilemma keeping them apart felt, at times, insurmountable. A reporter falling for one of the team she covers is complete career suicide and the onus was completely on her. That's a lot of pressure to put on a relationship—not least because it is so unevenly distributed. I liked how well Jack held up to the frustration of having to hide how he felt for so long.

So Jack is just a great guy and lovely to be with. Completely at
Katie
Overall, this was pretty charming! And the baseball was solid, which is something I'm supremely picky about it. (Actually, it might even be what I'm most picky about in fiction. Huh.) It also felt very much like a Pacific Northwest team. The fans not caring until they do, the threat of moving, ahhhh.

There were also some really great supporting characters. (The boss was maybe a bit one dimensional.)

I think my main complaint is about how the overall relationship conflict was dealt with. Their main
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this was a freebie I downloaded and it's been sitting patiently on my TBR Shelf for 1 or 2 years. I'm giving it 4 Stars. It was a predictable story line but I like the characters and overall it was an enjoyable read.
Rochelle Allison
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet, sporty romance centering around baseball stud Jack and struggling sideline reporter Izzy. Regarding the main characters, I really enjoyed the characterizations. Izzy and Jack were nuanced and real, and their slow burn relationship made sense. They had great chemistry! I also enjoyed Noah Fox and Pilar Richardson as more peripheral figures.
Not too crazy about some of the overbearing men in the story (like Izzy's boss, Toby). We aren't supposed to like him, but sometimes his crap
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute book you can't help but like. Although there was some baseball talk, it wasn't too hard to follow. I know less about baseball than Izzy does. So when baseball talk came up I may have skimmed over it. I hate to be lost in all the nonsense. But if you are a huge fan, then you are definitely going to love the fact that the author knows her stuff. Now don’t get me wrong, I do love the game and even enjoy watching it live. But my interest mostly lies in the uniform. ;)

Now while
Clever Girl
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read. Adorable and likable characters, a lovely romance, an evil boss, a bit of intrigue and a happily ever after.

I absolutely love Jack. He's kind, persistent, thoughtful, adorable, patient, charming, and he's got a great sense of humor. I liked the way Jack sees Isabel. He sees her drive, values her strength and intelligence. And the way he feels when he makes her smile...

Isabel is a strong and determined woman. She's been thrown into a new job, a job she doesn't like, doesn't want,
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
I don't like Baseball. I apologize to any of you who does, but it's just boring as hell. Isabel Dalton describes her feelings about Baseball at the beginning of the story, and it's just about word for word what I feel and think. It actually made me laugh.

What I do like, love even, is a sweet romance, and that's exactly what TheLuckyCharm is.

Izzy is alone in the world, having lost her parents, but she has Charlie, her boss. When Charlie falls ill, Izzy's job is terminated only to be sent to work
CL
Although most of the reviews I've seen are positive, unfortunately I personally found a lot lacking in this book.

There was nothing wrong with it per se, rather that it was long, drawn-out and well, boring. It took forever for Jack/Izzy to get together and whilst I usually love the build-up, this just went on and on .... and on.

Izzy's boss was an asshat and I am pretty sure that if I were Izzy I would have spoken to Human Resources about him, if only some other poor young woman wouldn't have to s
Sue
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved the characters and I loved the theme. My only problem is that it seemed like it went on forever before Izzy realized that her romance with Jack was worth fighting for. After a while I fast forwarded through my Kindle to get to the end. I still want to read Noah Fox's story even though this one was a bit sluggish.
Danielle
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm already dying for the next book!!
April
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a cute story....review to come.
Pauline
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sport
2.5 stars. Uptight, lonely journalist forced into unwanted reporting gig for a baseball team. Cocky pro baseball-player falls in love with her and is convinced she's his lucky charm. She can't have a relationship with him. He can't play without her.

Is this a debut novel? (quickly checks) hmmm... I'm going to go with yes. Ok, so with that in mind, I'll be nice and say that this book had potential, but unfortunately didn't quite meet it.

I always struggle a bit when I start out reading an author's
Sarah Anne
Read my review on my blog:
Talk Nerdy Book Blog | The Lucky Charm Review

Safety: Safe (view spoiler)

Possible Triggers: (view spoiler)

Ending: (vie
Heidi Dover
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked
Was cute, light, fun, but not a lot happened, no real pressing conflict of angst but enjoyable and likeable characters
Tressa
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed the romance between Izzy and Jack in Lucky Charm. I liked Jack’s friendship with Foxy and Izzy’s love for Charlie.
BookWorm
Cute story with likeable characters. The development of the romantic relationship seemed realistic and there were genuine reasons complicating things. The ending was unfortunately abrupt.
Stephanie
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
The Lucky Charm was quite the charm! I am a huge baseball fan (Go Rangers!) so when the opportunity came up to review this book I took. I love sports romances and The Lucky Charm was a good one.

Izabel Dalton is a workaholic who hasn't been on a date in eight months. She devotes all of her time to her job. Then Izzy finally accept a date, if you could call it that. It was BAD. Things start to go downhill from here. To make matters worse her boss, who is like a second father to her has a heart at
Kanoko
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a complimentary copy from the author for having won a giveaway and with no strings attached. This did not colour my views in any way.

The Lucky Charm is the kind of story that charms its way into your "awesome debuts" shelf with competent story-telling and a little heart. It's not terribly fascinating at first, I don't think, but it's endearing and charming and fresh. Nothing like a book that leaves you grinning and sighing in contentment by the last page.

Izzy is smart (supposed
Kristi Hampshire
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paula Radell
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
"Charm" is the operative word...3.5 Stars for The Lucky Charm

I have to admit, I hesitated to select this novel for review because I usually don't enjoy love stories based on sports or celebrities. However, the synopsis won me over and I'm glad I ventured beyond my usual choices to read The Lucky Charm. It is a light-hearted romantic comedy set against the background of a struggling professional baseball team, its quirky players and its dysfunctional media team. Izzy, the rookie reporter, and Jac
Katie(babs)
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The Lucky Charm (Portland Pioneers #1) by new to me, self-published author, Beth Bolden is one swell sport romance. Fans of Rachel Gibson or Jill Shalvis will have a ball reading this book. The heroine Izzy is one you want to hug. She is so adorable, sweet and hard working. She lives and breathes her work as an assistant to a producer at a sports network on a smaller scale like ESPN. When her loving boss has a heart attack, she’s forced to become an on-air sideline reporter for the Portland Pion ...more
Leslie
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The Lucky Charm was definitely a little charmer of a book. It’s a very sweet story between Izzy Dalton and Jack Bennett.

Izzy hasn’t had the best life. After losing both of her parents she does what she thinks would make them proud; even if it may not be exactly what she wants in life. She is basically forced to take a position as a side line reporter for the Portland Pioneers. There is one major problem….she doesn’t like baseball and doesn’t know the first thing about it.

Enter Jack Bennett. He
Alison Jansen
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed sporty romance, this is the first one I've read with baseball players, and I loved it just as much as ice hockey, football and race car driving! I have to admit I love a bad boy who deep down is full of warm gooey goodness!!!

Izzy is a workaholic, she has no real friends apart from her boss, and she her parents are both dead. Although she does not acknowledge that things are missing from her life, she is a lonely person. She had so many goals in life, but right now she is stuc
Tasha
I loved this book! I brought it down 1/2 a star because I thought it ended a little abruptly; I was expecting an epilogue or, at least, one more chapter. Sigh, I really just wanted more of these characters. I especially adored Jack! He was much more of a beta hero, than the typical alpha you find in a lot of romance novels. He was funny and outrageous, sometimes, and really sweet with Izzy. He followed Izzy lead a lot of times and wasn't crazy possessive of her.

I didn't like Izzy as muc
Mika Pisueña
I love it! Everything about the novel is like a breath of fresh air. It is a very cute tale that anyone will enjoy. I think this is a very good debut novel. Good job for Ms. Beth Holden. Hoping for more Jazzy(JackXIzzy). :P

I am an enthusiast for sports romance novels and in the others that I have read, there seems to be a recurring pattern. Guy lives as the ultimate bachelor, his life revolves around the sport, money, booze and sex. Arrogant pricks that seems to think that they are God's gift to
Julia ♥Duncan♥
I'll be the first to admit that contemporary M/F isn't my favorite genre, but this came recommended by sources I trust. Some recommendations have really worked for me, unfortunately I just didn't click with most of this one.

I thought too much of the book was spent on Izzy pushing Jack away because she was concerned dating him would make her look unprofessional. I found that a very reasonable concern, I just got tired of it after about half the book and wanted the characters to move on. I wasn't

• When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Hatemates
  • Lovewrecked
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • Breakup Boot Camp
  • The Duke Who Knew Too Much (Heart of Enquiry, #1)
  • M is for Marquess (Heart of Enquiry, #2)
  • The Viscount Always Knocks Twice (Heart of Enquiry, #4)
  • Out on a Limb (Can't Help Falling Book 3)
  • Never Say Never to an Earl (Heart of Enquiry #5)
  • Hidden Hearts (The Women of Hearts, #1)
  • The Duke of Ruin (The Untouchables, #8)
  • The Duke of Lies (The Untouchables, #9)
  • The Duke of Seduction (The Untouchables, #10)
  • The Duke of Kisses (The Untouchables, #11)
  • The Duke of Distraction (The Untouchables, #12)
  • A Duke is Never Enough (The Spitfire Society #2)
  • Dreaming of the Duke (Duke's Club, #2)
A lifelong Oregonian, Beth Bolden has just recently moved to North Carolina with her supportive husband and their sweet kitten, Earl Grey. Beth still believes in Keeping Portland Weird, and intends to be just as weird in Raleigh.

Beth has been writing practically since she learned the alphabet. Unfortunately, her first foray into novel writing, titled Big Bear with Sparkly Earrings, wasn’t a bestse

Portland Pioneers (3 books)
  • Getting Lucky (Portland Pioneers #2)
  • Luck isn't a Lady (Portland Pioneers #3)