Start by marking “Mourning Jewelry” as Want to Read:
Mourning Jewelry

Mourning Jewelry

Mourning is the new black…

The tradition of Victorian mourning jewelry began with Queen Victoria after the death of her husband, Prince Albert. Without photography, mementos of personal remembrance were used to honor the dead so that their loved ones could commemorate their memory and keep their spirits close. Ashes were placed within rings, and necklaces were made out of
Published May 8th 2014 by Raw Dog Screaming Press (first published May 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mourning Jewelry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mourning Jewelry

Start your review of Mourning Jewelry
Char
4.5/5 stars!

This poetry collection, read to me by Lesley Ann Fogle, was like a dark and stormy night, but inside my brain.

Relentlessly dark and beautifully wrought, this volume speaks to the pain of being a woman, the pain of being done wrong by men, the joy in paying those wrongs back, (in spades), and a lot more.

"Yes, suffocation would be a blessing from a world where each breath I take reminds me that I'm alone. That the life I lived was a lie, and that the person that I loved
Donald Armfield
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rawdog Screaming has a special poetry weapon and her name is Stephanie Wytovich. Her poems do more than haunt you. They crawl through your mind long after like spiders.

Some of my favorites as always. but there is only a few that I didn't care for.

-Asphyxiation
-Sleeping Next To You
-Vines are in Her Wardrobe

My overall favorite is Tag You're It. if you read one poem this yea
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wondered what Stephanie Wytovich would do as a follow up to her powerful debut poetry collection. HYSTERIA, with its themes of madness, violence and mental illness, was a shock to the system, electro-therapy in a book and it earned her a Bram Stoker nomination.

Many poets write in a similar style about the same themes for their whole careers and therefore each collection is similar to the last. Not so with MOURNING JEWELRY. The theme here is pain, loss and remembrance. The name is taken from t
Mercedes Yardley
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Ms. Wytovich's work already, and Mourning Jewelry certainly didn't disappoint. This is the type of poetry that has beautiful language, yes, but also has a grim iron skeleton to hang those pretty words on. Equal parts dark, sexy, heartwrenching, and honest, I'd recommend this to anybody who likes their poetry with teeth.
Ron
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Wytovich's first book, Hysteria, I was excited to immerse myself in another book of madness. Mourning Jewelry is a phenomenal collection of some of the best modern [horror] poetry I've read in recent years. The author has the unique ability to juxtapose a girlish innocence within the realm of a gruesome form of love and human devotion. It's worth the read just to see what I mean. One thing's for sure: I will never look at a woman's bra without considering it being lined with human fl ...more
Kyla Ward
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Although the poem this collection takes its title from is exquisite, the authors real ambition would be better reflected in something like "The ABC of Death" or "The Encyclopedia of Obsession". Short, sharp, mad and sweet, these poems have the feel of whispers, with a powerful cumulative effect. My picks are "Ballet of Knives", "Charon's Assistant", " Never Turn Off The Lights" and "Urns Make Me Drunk". Although "Xerox His Death Certificate" deserves mention for ingenuity.
Strega
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dark poetry with amazingly vibrant images.
Emily
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"No, it's not love, but it is something / and that something is painful, and I wish it would stop."

Mourning Jewelry is my third poetry collection from Stephanie Wytovich, and I loved it! Each of her collections has a theme, and it's always fun to be in that world for a bit. This book focuses on the horror involved with mourning, and I loved the absolute grimness of Mourning Jewelry.

This is a collection of about 100 poems, and I rated everything between 3.5⭐ to 5⭐, and there were so
Donald
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this more than Charlie Manson loves fruit loops!! There is certain beauty in sadness, that only some of us get, and evidently Wytovich is one. Don't over analyze and try to figure out "what it's about" or "what it means", just enjoy the mood of melancholy she creates and the beauty of her word and you'll dig this as much as I do.
Diane
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, horror, reviewed
Who would've thought one person could think of so many ways to die and be consumed by death? This author, that's who.

I will be reviewing this collection in full for Star*Line and it will probably run with audio selections on Amazing Stories at some point.
Sydney
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review appears in Issue 15 of Shroud Magazine.

During the Victorian era, people placed relics of the dead—often hair, teeth, and ashes—inside pieces of jewelry in order to keep their loved ones close. It is within the historical context of this macabre sentiment that Stephanie M. Wytovich’s new collection of poetry is set: “the concept of death photography, small portraitures of the deceased.” But as usual, this dark poetess traverses beyond the facets of the already grim backdrop of her theme and i
Nightingale
Fantastic read, with a collection of both short and long poems, here are some of my favourites:
A Match Made by the Devil
Set the World o
Suz Jay
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
“There’s is something quite intoxicating about losing someone, even if that someone is yourself. In some ways it’s a release of pain, while in others, it’s an acceptance, a welcoming of the emptiness.”

I listened to this collection on Audible then poured over each poem using the Kindle version. The thematic gems of mythology, vampires, voodoo, Shakespeare, along with the author’s raw emotion make the collection shine.

My favorites are as follows: “Charon’s Assistant” seeks a little le
Well Read Beard
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Beautifully vibrant horrific imagery in this one. Read best on a dark winter's night by fire light. The cover illustration by Steven Archer is gorgeous. I took my time with this book reading a handful of poems per sitting. I LOVED so many of them - I kind of got into Wytovich because I was on a Indy horror kick and her books came across my feed. Now I am on a poetry kick and have vowed to always have a current poetry read going throughout 2019. This is my 3rd and favorite Wytovich book so far.

T
Scott Wytovich
Sep 07, 2014

• I Am Not Your Final Girl
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Love For Slaughter
  • Turning Tables
  • Silent Spring
  • Mindfulness in Plain English
  • Dark Faith
Stephanie M. Wytovich is an American poet, novelist, and essayist. Her work has been showcased in numerous venues such as Weird Tales, Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories, Fantastic Tales of Terror, Year's Best Hardcore Horror: Volume 2, The Best Horror of the Year: Volume 8, as well as many others.

Wytovich is the Poetry Editor for Raw Dog Screaming Press, an adjunct at Western Connecticut State Uni