Start by marking “Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art” as Want to Read:
Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art

Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art

From the pages of America’s most influential magazine come eight decades of holiday cheer—plus the occasional comical coal in the stocking—in one incomparable collection. Sublime and ridiculous, sentimental and searing, Christmas at The New Yorker is a gift of great writing and drawing by literary legends and laugh-out-loud cartoonists.

Here are seasonal stories, poems, memo
Published October 12th 2004 by Random House (first published October 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas At The New Yorker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas At The New Yorker

Rachel
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
If there's a theme to this collection, it might be How Difficult Christmas Can Be For the Bourgeoisie. The writing is good, as one would expect, but really how many melancholy stories do we need about how lonely and alienated many people feel over the holidays? There are a couple of grimly humorous pieces, but, overall, unless you are one of those people who enjoy hating Christmas, this book is fairly depressing.
Susie
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I guess I just don't get the New Yorker. A few of the cartoons were funny, and maybe a couple of the stories. The rest of it was kind of "huh?"
BookLady
Siempre me ha encantado el humor del New Yorker pero esta vez, los cuentos no me atraparon tanto como otras veces. Pocos fueron los que se salvaron pero la mayoría no fueron tan buenos. Los poemas y las clásicas historietas o cuadros humorísticos fueron los mejores.
Patrick DiJusto
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is mostly a collection of fiction from the New Yorker. I generally don't agree with New Yorker fiction.
Jeannine
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was interesting for its range of authors, and a nice introduction to ones never read before. But as for Christmas cheer, or Christmas spirit - not so much. I appreciated several of the poems by Joseph Brodsky (translated by Seamus Heaney), but otherwise there was nothing memorable or moving. Darn.
Kristina Silverbears
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Perhaps the problem I'm having with this book is that it isn't a cheerful holiday collection. It isn't funny, or heartwarming or even religious. It is darn depressing, to cut to the short of it. Oh, it is well-written, edited, and in clear English. But the content isn't moving me into any Christmas spirit, which is what I expected from this kind of book. I wanted snow people, marriages, baking, and presents. I got divorce, drunkenness, and guilt. I feel tricked.
Barbara
This collection included short stories by many well known writers as would be expected from The New Yorker. I ended up skimming some of them, and skipping most of the poems. The stories were, for the most part, not what I expect from short stories. Often they were more "ironic" than substantive. This may be The New Yorker style. I don't know because I don't read the magazine. In the end, it doesn't deliver the Christmas season good feelings.
Len Knighton
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry Christmas

It would be difficult for a book to have better bookends: John Updike and Roger Angell, brilliant prose in the introduction, whimsical poetry to conclude.
Updike's first sentence sets the tone for the entire book: NEW YORK CITY IS THE CAPITAL OF THE AMERICAN CHRISTMAS. There is truly something special about a city, almost any city, at Christmas time, but The Big Apple exceeds all others. This book reflects such a pinnacle position, placing The New Yorker in a similar literary pos
Terzah
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
The first few books I'm finishing this year are all Christmas books that were started last month. I enjoyed this one greatly. Most of the stories and poems are from early- to mid-20th-century issues of the magazine and have a melancholy cast to them. But there is also a lot of humor. My favorite item was a poem by Adrienne Rich called "Landscape of the Star." You should go find a copy and read the whole thing, but here is the last stanza, a note of hope to take us into 2019:

"Our gifts shall brin
Richard Tolleson
I could have given this four stars before I got to the poetry section, which was generally topical for the year it was written, and thus not of much interest today. The stories themselves were generally engaging, if depressing. If you are looking for a respite from the usual upbeat Hallmark Channel movies and Christmas romance books that promise seasonal reading pleasure, this might be the ticket. Since it is a collection, you can read as much or as little as you want. But take my advice: skip t ...more
Christine
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I meandered through this book. I relaxed and remembered. Though I have read (and listened to) lots of pieces from The New Yorker, this book helped me understand how important it is. This compilation is almost a history of the US told through who we have been at Christmas. I appreciate many of the individual pieces in this book, but find myself enjoying more the portrait they create.
Mike
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Collection of stories, articles, comments, cartoons and poetry from the 1920’s on up. I enjoyed the stories even though the majority are quite melancholy in tone. You can get a good feel for the era in which the stories were written, especially the war years.
Lindsay
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
not in anyway what I was expecting, incredibly disappointing. filled with stories that were creepy, depressing, sketchy, not well written and just plain weird. was hoping for a fun Christmassy read but got a long read that I dreaded instead. do not read this
Jess
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Such a disappointment. The one fully enjoyable page in the whole book is a brilliant illustration by Ian Falconer. The rest is by turns maudlin, saccharin, or inscrutable. I remember reading the New Yorker with enjoyment at some point, but none of this was what I remembered.
Kristen
Not my favorite festive read, but I enjoyed it for the most part.
Pat
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good selections and some not so good! Enjoyed being able to access it when I had only a few minutes to read! Loved the poems and the art!
Patricia Tennesen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprisingly boring for the New Yorker. So much just did not appeal to me. Maybe this is why I could never be a New Yorker.
Sue Bossley
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. I finished a long time ago so I really don't remember much, just that I enjoyed it.
Wendy C. Kverne
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too dated
Deborah Gaspar
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas done New Yorker style

Good short stories. Great art work and cartoons of events past. Good poems. Very easy coast and New York but enjoyable.
Debbie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable collection of Christmas themed stories, poems, and cartoons from The New Yorker. It is the type of book one can pick up and read a bit at a time. I enjoyed it!
Dale Ann
3.5 stars - - Loved some of the stories and poems, but found others to be less interesting.
Steven Freeman
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of holiday themed stories, cartoons, and poems from the New Yorker. I enjoyed the vast majority of the stories and cartoons. Could have done without most of the poems.
Christina King-Talley
Eh...not as good as I expected...
Meade
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy stories and cartoons from the New Yorker. I almost downgraded this to 3 stars because the last few poems were all the holiday name-dropping poems, which I guess are interesting but aren't really my bag. But the rest of the collection was lovely.
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of short stories and the particular style of the New Yorker
Recommended to Rebecca by: read good review of it
Shelves: wishlist, fiction
On the whole I enjoyed reading the collection. It was the exact type of book I was looking for to read over the holiday season. What most interested me was how the stories from various eras reflected the current events and the popular writing style of the time. There were some particularly fun stories like the one that tells The Night Before Christmas in Hemingway's style. As a whole, though I found the stories to be hit or miss, and I think one has to like the type of fiction that they print in ...more
D'face
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas gift to myslef - at least I know what I like! And I liked this collection very much, perhaps the poems not so much. A wonderful collection of Christmas covers, cartoons and short stories from some of the New Yorker's best writers. Some of the stories are sad, some risque, a number are funny. I wish I had seen this book earlier as it would make a marvelous Christmas gift. There are some beautiful covers here and some classical cartoons (the Addams family children stoking the fire in t ...more
Angela
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection of stories, cartoons and poems from the New Yorker. Some of the stories were dry, and some were tearjerkers. The funny ones were my favorite, though, and there were plenty of those.

The main reason I read the collection, however was for H.L. Mencken's short story Christmas Story, which here is called "Stare Decisis." The story is one in which a man decides to throw a feast for the most down-and-out bums he can find, no sermons to sit through or other strings attached. Howe
Kate
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Like most anthologies, a mixed bag quality-wise (a little heavy on the "Greetings, Friends!" selections, which read like in-jokes among the editors), but here are all the moods of Christmas. A few of my favorites: "Schoolboy," Sally Benson; "Christmas is a Sad Season for the Poor," John Cheever; James Thurber's screamingly funny "A Visit From Saint Nicholas (in the Ernest Hemingway Manner)"; E.B White's Comments; "Occurrence on the Six-Seventeen," George Shephard; "Homecoming," William Maxwell; ...more
Mary
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Okay, more dysfunctional, crumbling literary fiction marriages than merry "ho, ho, ho"s, but really good dysfunctional, crumbling etc. nonetheless. If you're looking for jolly, cut straight to Thurber's "Night Before Christmas in the Hemingway Style," which was both dysfunctional, crumbling etc. /and/ hysterical. Mostly, though, all unhappy families look the same. Perhaps, though, my reading it straight through in one sitting created the distaste.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • A Small Miracle
  • Greyhaven
  • Jennifer and Josephine
  • The Night of Las Posadas
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
  • Saul Bass: A Life in Film and Design
  • Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Warmth Back into the Season
  • Christmas Every Day
  • Miracle and Other Christmas Stories
  • A Family Christmas
  • Wombat Divine
  • Vater und Sohn, Bd. 3
  • Winter's Tale: Winter's Tale
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry published by Condé Nast Publications. Starting as a weekly in the mid-1920s, the magazine is now published forty-seven times per year, with five of these issues covering two-week spans.
“Throughout America, Main Street has run to the suburbs and hidden in the malls, but New York still wears Christmas on its sleeve.” 0 likes
“The tree with pagan roots continues to accept grafts.” 0 likes