Start by marking “Folk Shawls” as Want to Read:
Folk Shawls

Folk Shawls

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  653 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Shawls are currently making a huge comeback in the fashion world, but many people do not realize that the shawl has been worn for many centuries and in many cultures. This collection of patterns and traditions features shawls from around the world. From the Himalayas to Spain, from Iceland to Japan, and from Mexico to Norway, many of the shawls featured here have been take ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Folk Shawls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folk Shawls

Mckinley
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft, non-fiction, knit
Variety of shapes. Nothing for me.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, lovely, lovely book of possibilities!

I got to meet the author after reading the book and she is just as lovely!
Rachael
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adventurous knitters looking to expand their skills
Recommended to Rachael by: perusing the library shelves
Shelves: knitting
A lovely book on the craft. This book is definitely intended for the more intermediate to advanced knitter, depending on the pattern itself. If you have never knitted something before, or are a total crocheter, I do not recommend this book. Do yourself a favor and knit a simple garter stitch scarf before attempting these pretty gems.

Having knitted the "Spanish Christening Shawl" as a tester, and tried a few others out, I love this book. 4 stars because some of the techniques could have been a li
Sheila
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning knitters
Shelves: fiber-arts
The premise of this book is that each of the 25 patterns is tied to a location/knitting tradition. I felt the tie-ins were a little weak. For example, the Aran Pocket shawl's tie-in is:

"Women on the Aran Islands often wear woven plaid shawls from Scotland. The basket weave pattern and the pockets on this shawl are based on a modern Scottish woven plaid shawl."

That's it. The pattern itself is a nice, basket weave, rectangular shawl with pockets. Nothing fancy but good simple pattern. It would be
Kristen Stieffel
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Folk Shawls is mostly a pattern book. There are many great anecdotes about the countries the shawls derive from, and historical information about how the shawls were derived. The shawls are all lovely, and range from simple to complex.

Oberle does not waste the experienced knitter's time with a how-to section. There is a "techniques" chapter, but it only gives instructions for specific methods used in the patterns. These are methods that will probably be familiar to experts, but the chapter is in
Kaydee Stasik
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Most books that contain knitting patterns have only a few worth knitting. This one makes a person want to knit them ALL. The background of each shawl is given providing each a "personality." Some are plain to show off a beautiful yarn, and some are of an intricate stitch for a more plain yarn, but all of the shawls are interesting in their own way.

There are shawls for the beginning knitter and a couple of more challenging shawls where you have to turn off the television and concentrate.

The book
Lauren
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I first flipped through this collection a few years ago and was not impressed... nothing stood out to me at all. However, I checked it out again at the library recently and liked it a lot more. The knits are very traditional - lace designs mostly, inspired by different parts of the world.

I am glad that Interweave Press has stepped up their photography in the more recent books. The photography in this book is pretty bad - there are no details shots, but fully modeled shots on the author from a d
Dianne
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Have long wanted to read this book and treated myself to it recently. It does not disappoint! So far I have bookmarked 4 shawls and stoles I want to knit. Wonder how I'll feel about it after I've attempted them.

The book includes interesting information about the various styles and fashions for shawls and stoles in various cultures, and the patterns look interesting. Some are fairly daunting due to size, but none look impossibly difficult.

Another adventure in knitting coming up!
Tammy
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to
Mostly for experienced knitters. I borrowed this from the library and worked up the Prairie shawl once and the Butterfly (inspired by Native American Pow-wow) twice, then used the lace pattern from that for a cardigan just this last year.
Ellen
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Beautiful patterns, but come on - what is with all the errors? Were there ANY test knitters. After much frustration I abandoned my project from this book. Later I came to find out that the reason I couldn't make it work was the errors!
Suzanne
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Cheryle Oberle is a super person and a terrifie teacher and designer. In this shawl book she is the only model and she looks absolutely wonderful in her creations. These patterns are not easy but worth the effort.
Susan
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Interesting patterns--I'm into knitting shawls these days, but it's also interesting that she talked about traditional shawls from different national and ethnic groups--and more stitches and construction methods that were characteristic of those groups.
Maryo
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Great book on different types of shawls!
MJ
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
A couple of nice looking shawls but had to return book.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots of nice shawls.
Wylie Kay
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite knitting books. One day I will buy it and not have to keep checking it out at the library.
Dharma
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting
I liked that there was information about each of the countries in terms of the history or mythology of the shawl style. I will definitely look to getting my own copy.
Rebekah
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
My wedding shawl came from this book. I'm not really a shawl person, but these are really pretty, and make me wish I was more old school marmish so I could throw one on.
Jane
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needlework, purchased
This is a wonderful book. I have made many of the shawls and some of them many times. The instructions are clearer than any other patterns I have found to make such complex and beautiful knits.
Lavatera
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. It's one of the best knitting books around. I have already made three shawls from it and plan on making more.
Annette
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
i like how each culture has its own story about knitting
Miss Mouse
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-crafty
Pretty shawls, but not enough that I liked or thought I'd actually get around to knitting to justify adding this to my library.
Martine
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
Some of the best patterns for shawls are in this book
Linda
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber-arts
Beautiful ethnic shawl patterns.
Willa Shalit
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Fishermen's Sweaters: Twenty Exclusive Knitwear Designs for All Generations
  • Knitting Ganseys
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes

Nonfiction Deals

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99