Start by marking “A Newbery Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Newbery Christmas

A Newbery Christmas

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Christmastime and the Newbery Medal seem an almost irresistable combination. For what better time than Christmas, that most family-oriented of holidays, to read stories written by authors honored as winners of the John Newbery Medal for their contribution for literature for children? This collection comprises stories by authors today's children know and love, from E.L. Kon ...more
Published October 1st 1991 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Newbery Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Newbery Christmas

Donna Davis
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read-aloud book once your child has a pretty strong working vocabulary and attention span (no pictures, just text). For my family, a large group of bibliophiles for whom the bedtime story became especially marvelous in December, this is a treasure trove.

Our family (not religious) nevertheless favor the story about the little girl who regresses when a new baby comes to the family, and how her older brother rescues her. All December long, our conversations are peppered with "Don't
Asho
I checked this out of the library thinking that it might be nice to read some of the stories aloud to my 5-year-old. Then I ended up getting sick the week before Christmas and we didn't get in as much reading time as we normally do, so I mostly ended up reading this to myself on Christmas Eve and Christmas.
That ended up being a good thing, as the majority of these stories are a little conceptually advanced for my son. We did read the Ramona Quimby story together, and that was an interesting exp
Greg Kerestan
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I couldn't tell you when it was that I read this book for the first or last time, but I had it as a treasured hardcover as a child, given to me one Christmas Eve by my Aunt Linda and Uncle Butch. We always had Christmas Eve at their house back then- dinner upstairs in the kitchen and dining room, and then games and presents and fun downstairs in the finished basement (how mysterious to elementary-age me: a FINISHED BASEMENT). Though the title of the book long escaped me, I remembered the "Merry ...more
Denise Spicer
Fourteen stories by such award-winning authors as Madeleine L’Engle, Elizabeth Yates, Eleanor Estes, Lois Lenski, Hugh Lofting, Beverly Cleary. A couple of these stories were cute, even touching, but most are fairly mediocre, especially considering they were written by such eminent writers. This compilation might be of interest to modern day 10-12 year olds, but might not. And for adult readers, it is fairly ho-hum.
Brandee Shafer
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was displayed in the children's section of our county library, and I read it aloud to my daughters, ages six and seven. The stories aren't necessarily Newberry Award-winning stories, but they were written by Newberry Award-winning authors. I find this distinction important not so much because the stories aren't necessarily award-winning (Obviously, these authors write beautifully!) as because they aren't necessarily children's stories. My suggested age ranges for these stories would va ...more
Lisa
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I completely was enthralled with most of the stories in this collection of Christmas stories written by a variety of Newberry Medal winners of the past. I also enjoyed reading their short biographies at the end of the book as well.

My favorite stories were "The Hundred Dresses", "A Full House", "Once in the Year", "A Candle for St. Bridget" and "Ramona and the Three Wise Persons", "All Through the Night".

Which one is yours?
Nikki
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fine collection of Christmas stories from Newbery Award-winning authors. Selections range from the early years of the Newberies to more recent authors like Beverly Cleary. (As this book was published in the early 90s, perhaps it's time for a sequel!) In fact, given the low price for which you can now obtain a used copy (and the only slightly higher price for a new one), this book would be worth buying if only for Cleary's classic, "Ramona, the Sheep Suit, and the Three Wise Persons." V ...more
Dondra
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is a great book. There are some stories in it that are perfect for reading on cold December nights. I would have rated this with five stars had there not been a couple stories that were, in my opinion, complete duds. Also, a few of the stories contained language that I did not appreciate at all. Because we used the book as a read-aloud for the family, we were able to skip over the objectionable words. Again overall, four stars. The best stories were worth finding among the less imp ...more
Vikki
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Newbery Christmas certainly satisfied my need for a good Christmas book. I must have one every Christmas season and this was this years! Included in this book are fourteen stories selected by Martin Greenberg and Charles Waugh. They were good, clean, childrens Christmas stories. I enjoyed every one and all of these authors.
Kathy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for read-alouds especially when the kids are moving on from golden books and the younger Christmas stories. There were enough really good stories to own the book, although not all will become annual readings. It was fun to see the authors our kids were familiar with and inspired them to re-read the Newberry books themselves.
Diane
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book of stories by Newberry award winning authors. a little uneven, but the best ones are wonderful. I particularly liked "The Christmas Apple", "All Through the Night", "Once in the Year," and "Ramona, the Sheep Suit and the three Wise Persons...." (in the last story, the three boys backed out as three wise men, so the teacher designated three girls to be "Three Wise Persons."
Jroscanyan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic collection of Christmas stories and not of your usual fare. I loved that most of the stories did not focus on Santa Claus, but more so on the spirit of Christmas and how that translates into different experiences and sacrifices.
Don LaFountaine
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a nice collection of stories centered around Christmas. Some are better than others, but none of them left me with an immense sense of joy that one would expect when finishing a Christmas Collection.
Sunny
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
I only read a few of the stories in this collection (I'll get back to more of them each Christmas), but I loved the story by Madeleine L'Engle -- a beautiful story about redemption coming in small ways with nice Biblical allusions.
Rebecca Dougherty
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I don't recommend
Casey
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
There are some really cute stories in this book.
Beth
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is an all-time family favorite book. Every Christmas Eve we read two stories from it and Coty chokes up at the same place every year. We love this book.
Shaunterria
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good compilation of Christmas stories written by Newbery authors. Not all were that engaging or notable, but a few standouts helped keep the collection readable.
Joanna
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous collection of young adult Christmas stories.
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So enjoyable! Especially loved the Ramona and Beezus story!!!!
Jenni
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenni by: Angela
Read most of it for book club but did not end up going. Good to read for the holidays
Joy Gerbode
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are some very wonderful stories, geared toward children, and written by some of our most beloved authors, such as Beverly Cleary and Madeline l'Engle. Really lovely book.
Christine
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
A few good stories, but these are not the works for which these authors were awarded the Newbury Medal, that's for sure.
Shelli
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with some of the selections that were in this book.
Amber
Dec 13, 2012
Elizabeth
Nov 27, 2015
Erica
Sep 07, 2012
Carol
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a fun anthology. Need some kids around to read it to!
Jan Holdridge
Nov 26, 2016
Karen
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.
More about Martin H. Greenberg