Start by marking “Turn Again” as Want to Read:
Turn Again

Turn Again

“I was told you were a magic man.”

In October of 1894, the anthropologist Rebecca Ashford arrives in Kodiak, Alaska to interview a Russian prisoner with an American name and an Athabascan Indian past. Aleksandr Campbell has been sentenced to hang for a double murder, killings that took place in his homeland far to the north on the Kenai Peninsula—a little-known part of the
Published July 31st 2012 by VP&D House, Inc. (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Turn Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn Again

Start your review of Turn Again
Dana Stabenow
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
A heartbreaker of a story about a man who was a bear, at least some of the time. Aleksander Campbell, part Athabascan, part Russian, part American, is raised on the Kenai Peninsula in the traditional ways by his grandfather, Lucky Jim. It is the late 1800s when Alaska Native life (and lives) are fast disappearing in direct proportion to the influx of Americans looking for gold.

Aleksander's voice is so strong, so compelling that you are immediately sucked into a place and a time that feels so re
Carol Douglas
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Turn Again, named after Turnagain Arm, a waterway that leads into Cook Inlet, Alaska, is the story of a late 19th century Athabascan Indian man who had been convicted of a murder he did not commit and sentenced to death. A woman anthropologist from the East has come to interview him because of rumors that he can turn into a bear.

He recounts his life in a tale that shows what Alaska's Kenai Peninsula was like under Russia rule, when many Native people were still able to make a living outside the
Lila Vogt
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kris Farmen has written a robust story of the early days of western man's invasion of Cook Inlet and the clash of cultures between the indigenous inhabitants living sustainable lifestyles (sometimes barely sustainable) and the newcomers intent on their pursuit of riches to be wrung and wrestled from this northern land.

There is cross cultural romance, historical accuracy and a fair and balanced presentation of the conflicts that are presented. A.C. Campbell, the mixed blood protagonist, is a char
Tiago João
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
looking to learn Alaskan history? Curious about the gold rush ? want to learn about life in the Alaskan wilderness? curious about Indian culture? want a sobering historical account of colonization and it's effects on the land cultures and peoples ? Or do you simply want an amazing adventure ? This book has you covered on all fronts, it had me on the edge of my reading seat all the way.
Ruth
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim at a street fair because (I'll admit it) I liked the cover. I am so glad I did - what a fabulous story! Very well written, engaging, and entertaining.
Tammy Jorgenson
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"My indifference would fill the den."
I REALLY liked reading this in Ninilchik, AK! Great geographic, historic and native fantasy/myth... what more could a girl ask for? Except a nice fat red.
Mike
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by my daughter, Jeannine for my birthday in 2014. Jeannine and her family have a home in Hope, Alaska. Through this book, I learned that its Indian name was Tutsilitnu.

The story takes place in the last decade of the 1800s in the Cook Inlet region of Alaska. An Indian boy named Aleksander Campbell, or "AC" as he like to be called, is the main character in the book.

AC possesses the ability to change into a grizzly bear when he is under great duress. This is one of the mai
Mckenzie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it, loved being able to read a book and know the locations that were talked about since it it all about Alaska (makes it more vivid) but did not like the ending because it felt unfinished. Good mix of drama/mystical/romance.
Isabel Hogue
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
It's about people living during times of change in Alaska - the 1890s.
At times the language and behavior of the old-Alaska characters seemed a little modern for the time-setting, but I still enjoyed the story.
I'm especially pleased to have a copy signed by the author.
Colleen Heaney-Mead
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie, Alaskana can be pretty bad so I had low expectations. I enjoyed the epic adventure of AC. This book is not amazing literature, but it is an entertaining read.
Lynn Lovegreen
Amazing writing--one of the best books I've read lately. Great story about clashing cultures, true love, and old magic.

(added other edition to my books to show the cover)
Ann Glenn
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. Growing up in this area in Alaska and some of the historical accuracy of it made it a fascinating read for me.
Lyn
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it because I was just near the Turnagain & Kenai & was hungry for history about it. It certainly gave me that & was written well-enough. ...more
Alec Herschleb
Don Rearden
Jul 01, 2013
Mar 14, 2020
Lynn Lovegreen
See my review on the paperback edition--just added this to show the great cover.
Kenny Matson
Nov 18, 2016
David James
Oct 20, 2012

• The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel
  • Blackout (All Clear, #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Leadership: In Turbulent Times
  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (The Carls, #1)
  • The Rent Collector
  • Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
  • The Devil's Highway: A True Story
  • Here Be Dragons (Welsh Princes, #1)
  • When Death Becomes Life: Notes from a Transplant Surgeon
  • The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
  • NW