Start by marking “The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)

The Voyage of the Basilisk

(The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3)

Alternate cover edition for this ASIN can be found here

Devoted readers of Lady Trent’s earlier memoirs, A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, may believe themselves already acquainted with the particulars of her historic voyage aboard the Royal Survey Ship Basilisk, but the true story of that illuminating, harrowing, and scandalous journey has never been
Published March 31st 2015 by Tor Books (first published March 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Voyage of the Basilisk, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Raj
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brandon St Mark You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a lot of relationships that you probably wouldn't understand and events that are referenced to that…moreYou could, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a lot of relationships that you probably wouldn't understand and events that are referenced to that you wouldn't know about it.

But really, the first two books are amazing, you should really give them a try!(less)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I’m happy to say that Voyage of the Basilisk was a combination of everything I’ve been hoping to see since the beginning of the series. The foremost of which being the heavy focus on dragons (and not all the other crap she included in the first book… although a lot of that is now becoming relevant, so I’m kind of eating my words). I especially appreciated the infusion of fantasy, naturalism, and archaeology into this adventure.

I feel like I’m living vicariously through the main character, and am
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/24/b...

In the interest of full disclosure, I majored in Anthropology and Evolutionary Biology so these books are like super-strength catnip to me. Written in the form of a memoir by the venerable Lady Trent, these novels are adventurous tales about our protagonist when she was a younger woman, but just as importantly they also explore her lifetime of scientific study and research. As such, I find this series extremely hard to res
Sanaa
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] Decided to give this a 4 afterall. It isn't as strong as the others but still fascinating. I loved the intriguing exploration of gender, sexuality, and gender norms in this in particular. This series is definitely for those who love anthropology, archaeology, and dragons!
Kaitlin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always another fabulous book here from Marie Brennan. I think this one wasn't quite on par with the previous two as there was a little less of a plot until the second half, but there is still so much that is truly wonderful and heartwarming with this series that I can't give it less than a 4*s.

This instalment of the series was really interesting to me becuase we follow Isabella as she and her son (now 9!!) and good friends go on a voyage around the world to study dragons. We see the ship (Th
Nikki
I think, the first time I read this, I may have observed that it’s beginning to push the bounds of credulity that Isabella (and dragons) should get tangled up in so much politics. I can’t say I actually noticed that, this time — it seems natural, when you just read the books straight through like this, because Isabella is willing to go anywhere and do just about anything for dragons. And of course, that means she’s in the least appropriate places for someone of her background (at least as far as ...more
Katie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Not as strong as the first two but it's getting 4 stars instead of three mostly for its exploration of gender and indigenous culture
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
This series is basically dragons x Jane from Tarzan; in short = g r e a t n e s s
Moonlight Reader
I had been awaiting this one with enthusiasm because Charles Darwin’s Voyage of the Beagle has always enthralled me. I’m not particularly a ship/boat person, but the idea of a scientist travelling ’round the world studying the natural world is extremely appealing to me. So, this book would be, I hoped, the opportunity to read of such a fictional voyage.

A cross-section view of the hold of The Beagle

It was quite a satisfying tale, although there wasn’t quite as much travelling as I had hoped. Nat
Nikki
I originally received this as an ARC, but then bought it anyway because I wanted a print copy so I could look at the illustrations better. I ate this up in a couple of hours. If you’ve enjoyed the previous books, this will give you more of the same: adventures, a female main character with a bright and scientific mind, interesting problems of taxonomy when it comes to dragons, politics, encounters with other cultures…

It very much mimics the style of memoirs written in the analogous time period i
All Things Urban Fantasy
THE VOYAGE OF THE BASILISK is Lady Trent's most thrilling adventure to date. With little of grinding misogyny that peppered earlier books, here Isabella takes to the seas with her research fellow Tom, her son Jake, and a stalwart captain mad enough to hunt sea serpents in their natural habitat.

Once again, Brennan offers the daily realities of biology at the turn of the century, as much hunting and politics and anthropology as it is studying natural phenomena. Those Machiavellian obstacles don't
Marielle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-own
I write down my thoughts later... I'm picking up the next one immediately!
YouKneeK
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Voyage of the Basilisk is the third book in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. Similar to the second book, there were some slow spots. However, the author makes up for them with the “fast spots”. I think she writes adventure and action scenes very well.

These are fun, light, and quick reads. Unlike the impression one might get from the title of the first book, A Natural History of Dragons, there isn’t much science. Or fantasy for that matter. There are some descriptions of the dragons, and of cou
Rachel Brown
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The continued adventures of Lady Isabella Trent, Victorian explorer and DRAGON NATURALIST. In this volume, Isabella sails around the world on the appropriately named Basilisk, accompanied by her young son Jake, an underwater archaeologist named Suhail, and other companions.

I enjoyed this the most of the series so far. It strikes a perfect balance between action and exploration. Isabella has matured enough to be interesting in a different way from the monomaniac of the first book: still obsessiv
Vanessa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series keeps getting better and better.

Here we are in book 3 of Marie Brennan’s Lady Trent Memoirs with VOYAGE OF THE BASILISK and our heroine, Isabella Camherst, is sent on an expedition to research dragons on sea and on land. Along for the ride is her young son Jacob; Jacob’s nanny Abigail; and Tom, Isabella’s research partner.

With Isabella on board, they are bound for an adventure.

The voyage starts out as scheduled, they find their first sea dragon, and observe the beast…more close-up th
Derpa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love, series
I give up. This series is deteriorating very fast and I can't be arsed to go on. This is a year when I just don't have the energy and time to go on with things like this, so I have quite a few DNF books and I think it's fine.

My issue with the series is the protagonist. As much as she was fine in the first book, she is becoming more and more of a person I can't stand.
Isabella is spoilt. Of course now people will say nope, she isn't, she goes out to the jungles and oceans and mountains to study
imyril
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite Lady Trent to date, shamelessly pandering to me with archaeologists, diving bells, monolithic statues, and things I can't mention without even bigger spoilers. It's a thrill ride of adventures at sea with a grumpy sea captain and charming new companions - and we get to meet young Jake to boot. All the feelings, lots of fun and excellent new mysteries.

Full review to follow.

4.5 stars. I think. Just so much fun!
DJ
3.5/5 Rating: Originally posted at https://mylifemybooksmyescape.wordpre...

I want to ride a dragon-turtle!

For some reason (unknown to me) I love and are instantly drawn to books that involve any type of wooden ship sea-voyages, or explorations in exotic/foreign lands that involve interactions with the natives. Naturally, it is out of my power that I would be attracted to this series.

The third installment of Lady Trent's memoirs takes us on an exciting voyage across the seas and to isolated lands
Marina
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Second Reading Review:

The Voyage of the Basilisk is the third book in the Memoir by Lady Trent series, the first of which is The Natural History of Dragons.

The book is a little slow to start as the characters - Isabella, Tom, and this time her son Jack, and his nanny Abby, set off on an adventure around the world. They meet new characters and make new friends, including Suhail. And while I was glad for Suhail's appearance, he unfortunately rendered Tom to an almost secondary character. However,
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review

The series in general (no spoilers)

Ah, there's something so satisfying about a consistent series. I always know what to expect with the Lady Trent books, and thankfully, Voyage of the Basilisk stuck with the same tried and true formula.

Fans of the first two books can rest assured that this third installment is more of the same, and I mean that in a good way. Isabella embarks on another journey to another excitingly untamed part of the world to continue her study
Austine (NovelKnight)
We're at that point in the series where it's hard not to spoil previous books but I shall endeavor to not do so. Voyage of the Basilisk picks up a little while after the previous book,  The Tropic of Serpents , and continues the memoirs of Lady Isabella Trent as she recounts her adventures across Scirland.

If you enjoyed the previous two books, then you'll find the same honest, detailed narrative I've come to love. Isabella is now older but her view of the world has been somewhat limited until no
Jessica Strider
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pros: excellent world-building, fun protagonist, quick read

Cons: ending felt rushed

This is the third volume of Isabella, Lady Trent’s memoirs and deals with the 2 year research voyage she took on the RSS Basilik. With her she brings Tom, who accompanied her on previous journeys, her nine year old son, Jake, and his governess, Abby.

As with the other books in this series, this is a character driven fantasy novel, following the extraordinary adventures of a female dragon researcher from Scirland. W
Raven
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons, novels, adventure
I don't know why this book seems deserved the 5 stars I gave while the previous two books only 4. They're not that different with their multiple conflicts and resolutions. Maybe because of Suhail. Maybe because the plot thickens. Maybe just because I love the plot twist more.

I imagined the voyage of the Basilisk is not much different with how Charles Darwin sailed around the world and building his theory of evolution, only that the passengers were more interesting. You have Isabella: a woman--a
BellaGBear
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really I love practical Lady Trent and her quest for the knowledge of dragons. This book tells about another exiting part of her life. This one tells about sea dragons. Really love to know more about the dragons with every part of this series.

Also loving what Marie Brennan does with feminism and the question of gender in this series, and particulary in this book (I am not going to say more, because it would spoil the story).

And that action scene towards the ending was also simply brilliant! This
Candace
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
This is the third book in a series. The books are the fictional memoirs of Isabella, a dragon naturalist, when it was scandalous for women to study dragons. What I love about this series is the great writing, the understated magic, the great wit, all of which I usually find in novels of manner. I almost left out my favorite characteristic in that they are reminiscent of Jane Austen's books. (without the dragon's, of course)

While this was an ebook, I read book one and 2 in paper format and in all
Kitvaria Sarene
Another amazing adventure! This time we're on a sea voyage, so we see a lot more of the world. We meet new main characters, and new jobs of drakes. Of course there's also done desasters that make for an interesting plot and change the plots direction.
I am still absolutely in love with Isabellas voice and can't get enough of traveling around the world with her! She is so matter of fact and witty, I really wish I could spend a day with her.
I can only repeat myself - this is a really fantastic seri
Rebecca
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was really fun. I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than the second book in the series. This one just set off for adventure from the start and there was so much going on. The dragons were interesting, the archaeology aspects were interesting and there was even an element of humour which I really enjoyed. I just really enjoy this series. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.
Sirene
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
War das gerade der beste Lady Trent Band?
Mit jedem Teil der Reihe setzt die Autorin noch eine Schippe drauf und nicht nur die Handlung wird immer interessanter, bunter und gefährlicher! Auch die Charaktere wachsen mehr und mehr aus sich heraus und anstatt vorsichtiger zu werden, wird die Lady nur noch abenteuerlustiger und lässt sich so gar nichts vorschreiben.

Es sind ein paar Jahre ins Land gezogen, Isabella Trent macht sich bereit für eine längere Reise mit dem Schiff Basilisk. Diesmal ist sie
Christopher Sullivan
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I fell into the very pleasant world that Marie Brennan created and spent about four days here! I loved it!

This was my favorite book of the series, but seeing as I grew up on Lake Michigan and was very nearly born on a boat, that may have affected why I loved this voyage so much. I spent so much of my youth on the water. Also, yay for science! Yay for alternate earth set in a Victorian era, but with dragons! So much room for discovery and quests and it was just perfect.

I highly recommend the s
K.
Trigger warnings: battle violence, animal cruelty I guess?

3.5 stars.

Here's the thing: I really like this series. But without fail, it always takes me at least a third of the book to actually feel like I'm enjoying it. There's always something about the early stages that feels like it drags on FOREVER, and this one was no exception.

Once the Basilisk gets to the "South Pacific", everything was solid and I really really loved it. But up until that point (which in this case was about half the book

• Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • Tooth and Claw
  • Love and Romanpunk
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • Quintessence
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)
  • Horizon (Bone Universe, #3)
  • Jane Carver of Waar (Jane Carver, #1)
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • The Guns Above (Signal Airship #1)
  • Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook, #1)
  • Dragonshadow (Heartstone, #2)
  • He Drank, and Saw the Spider (Eddie LaCrosse, #5)
  • Three Princes
  • A Plunder of Souls (Thieftaker Chronicles, #3)
Marie Brennan is the author of the Doppelganger, Onyx Court, Wilders, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series of fantasy novels. Sign up for her newsletter here!

The Memoirs of Lady Trent (5 books)
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
“I have never attempted to hide that I have had two husbands in my life.
I have, however, neglected to mention that in between them, I had a wife.”
15 likes
“This will sound peculiar, I know. But this love I have for dragons, my compulsion to understand them ... I have thought of it before as though there were a dragon within me. A part of my spirit. I do not believe it is true in any mystical sense, of course; I am as human as you are. But in the metaphorical sense, yes. 'Dragon-spirited' is a good a term for me as any."

He listened to this in silence, his expression settled into the grave lines it assumed when he was deep in thought. "Do you believe you are neither male nor female?"

I almost gave a malapert answer, but caught myself in time. We had an established habit of intellectual debate, and I valued it; I would not discard it now.

"So long as my society refuses to admit of a concept of femininity that allows for such things," I said, "then one could indeed say that I stand in between.”
14 likes