Start by marking “Overcoming Math Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Math Anxiety

Overcoming Math Anxiety

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The new edition retains the author's pungent analysis of what makes math "hard" for otherwise successful people and how women, more than men, become victims of a gendered view of math. It has been substantially updated to incorporate new research on what we know and don't know about "sex differences" in brain organization and function, and it has been enlarged to include p ...more
Published August 17th 1995 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1978)

Adam
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a former math PhD student. Although I never had math anxiety, I'm aware that all too many people do suffer from this. (Just try telling people you're getting your PhD and watch their reaction.) It's unfortunate that, in the decades since Tobias's book was published, it seems as though only minimal progress has been made toward improving the math teaching landscape. (In my opinion this is due to entrenched interests including teachers' unions, textbook publishers, and risk-averse politicians. ...more
Liz
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with how to rate this. It did provide me with some interesting things to think about in relation to my students who struggle with math anxiety, and at least one thing that I’m going to implement in my classroom.
However, these are the things that led me to the two star review:
1. It’s outdated. (Revised in 1993, and holy cow has math education changed since then). This especially frustrated me in the chapters on gender, which attempted to explain that there was no true difference betw
Teji
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alicia
"The best therapy for emotional blocks to math is the realization that the human race took centuries or millennia to see through the midst of difficulties and paradoxes which instructors now invite us to solve in a few minutes.” –Lance Hogben p225

“Willing suspension of disbelief is a concept that comes not from mathematics or science but from literature. A reader must give the narrator an opportunity to create images and associations and to “enter” these into our minds…to carry us along in the s
Marissa  Pineda
I stumbled upon this book at the library while looking for something else. I was intrigued by the title. Other than a sort of self diagnostic test to see if you suffer from math anxiety, it really didn't provide much in the way of explaining how to overcome the affliction, should you have it. The author is a feminist and spends a lot of time ranting about how girls are directly or indirectly influenced to avoid math and I thought it was a bunch of hogwash.
Ron Moreland
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone struggling in math or knows someone who is struggling in math
I read this book more than once to help students, friends, and family with their anxiety when it comes to mathematics. The book contains many reasons as to why people have a phobia when it comes to math. The book also gives some very practical advice as to how to overcome anxiety when it comes to math. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with math or knows someone who is stuggling with math.
Erin
This book did not cure me of my math anxiety (that's a lot of pressure for a book) but it did help me to see that math anxiety is surmountable with the right tools. Some of the information is a little outdated, as girls generally aren't discouraged from math in grade school anymore. As someone who occasionally teaches math it was also helpful to see what kind of troubles they might be facing.
Matteo
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, woman-author
It's a fascinating book that talks about some approaches that have been taken to create a space for people who have traditionally been excluded from mathematics (with a focus on white women). It also serves as a primer on all of the sexist justifications dressed up as 'science' that have been used to justify the gender imbalance in math.
I wish it had more practical stuff in it, though.
Lara
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
Brought up some interesting points. Read various parts as an extra credit assignment for my math class. Don't think I would have picked it up otherwise.
Amanda
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't really have math anxiety but I saved an older version of this book from being thrown out at my old internship. Quite charming.
Gisele Phalo
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book helped me realize my hidden potential and love for math and science.
Tony Rublaitus
Jul 29, 2017
Sara
Dec 25, 2016
Kelly
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some things were interesting, but this book wasn't all that helpful.
Maryduane
Dec 10, 2008
Kate
Mar 02, 2009
Warren Acoose
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2012