Start by marking “The Fear (The Enemy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fear (The Enemy, #3)

The Fear

(The Enemy #3)

The sickness struck everyone sixteen and over. Mothers and fathers, older brothers, sisters, and best friends. No one escaped its touch. And now children across London are being hunted by ferocious grown-ups who are hungry, bloodthirsty, and not giving up.
DogNut and the rest of his crew, in search of the friends they lost during the fire, set off on a deadly mission from
Published May 20th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fear, please sign up.
Yil Feliciano same with the first two books, they're sad and tragic. but it's good coz you start geting an idea about the plot of the whole story. not like in the…moresame with the first two books, they're sad and tragic. but it's good coz you start geting an idea about the plot of the whole story. not like in the first two where you're not quite sure where it's going.(less)

Fergal
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
mmm... this could be made into a TV series... if done properly would make great viewing
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What are you afraid of? Drowning, fire, suffocation, abandonment, being eaten alive, having your head used as a centerpiece? Well…all that and more can be found in Charlie Higson’s world. *grins* I love this man!

The Fear, fun, and action picks up five days before the end of the previous book, The Dead. Mr. Higson has been playing with the timeline all along, but this story just fit and locked into place with the previous books like a key in a lock. Beautiful, bloody storytelling! With patience,
Jo
I have to admit, I wasn’t looking forward to reading this book. Well, I wasn’t not looking forward to it because it’s Charlie Higson and you know you’re pretty much going to be left speechless after you’ve finished one of his books in this series but, from the synopsis I was a bit ‘meh’. I mean, there are only so many times you can read about a group of London misfits walking across the city finding other London misfits and fighting the occasional zombie. Do you get what I’m saying?

And while the
✨    jamieson   ✨
“...the smell that came out of the lorry was disgusting. Sour and rotten. 'Jesus, who's died?" he said. 'About four-fifth's of the population of the world' said Justin.
'Very funny”

HOLY FREAKIN HELL these books are so much better then I actually remember them being the first time. I cannot believe this !!

WHAT IS THE ENEMY? It's The Walking Dead meets the Gone series. In the near future, the entirety of the population over 15 is either dead, or diseased and now "zombies" (or sicko's as the kids
Darren Hagan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*No spoilers*

These books are destroying my soul and I don't think I can take it haha.

The Fear begins a few days before the start of The Enemy, and features primarily characters from The Dead as they journey across London trying to find what happened to their friends that they got separated from a year ago. It does get to a point where it happens simultaneously with The Enemy. I really liked the way that this was done and it brought the groups characters together neatly.

I keep finding myself get
Mr.G
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zombie horror really doesn't get any better than this. I've really enjoyed J.L. Bourne's Day By Day Armageddon series and Z.A. Recht's Morningstrain Trilogy, but Higson's The Enemy/The Dead/The Fear series is really superior in a number of ways.
For those unfamiliar with the series, Charlie Higson's books are set in contemporary London where a "28 Days Later" style virus has affected every adult, turning them into a ravenous flesh-eating monster. Children and young teens are unaffected and band t
Giselle
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that we got inside the head of the Mothers and Fathers - it was so uncomfortable and yet intriguing. I love the originality, and especially the realistic nature even though it's sci-fi.
Maddison
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book overall. But also really confusing, and I feel there were a lot of pointless bits in it, and a lot of random characters who all just died in the end. Confusing because in each book so far (3), there's been a different group of characters to remember, and it's so frustrating because I haven't been reading them back to back, so I really can't remember the first or second book's characters, or the events that happened. I liked this book because it tied some characters from the other books ...more
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
This series is getting better each book. I got confused with the timeline at first but now it's coming together and all fitting in. Really good book and a great addition to an exciting series.
Joe Whittington
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie lovers, gore hunters, apocalypse aficionados
Demi
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I am emotionally distraught after reading this book. holy freaking sh*t!
I finished reading The Fear last night and I am still not completely over what had happened! I totally started to bawl my eyes out once I was less than 100 pages towards the end. HOLY GUACAMOLE! Talk about an ending!
Seriously, each book in this series keeps getting better and better than the last. Just like the previous two books, The Fear was full on action-packed, gruesome, heart-wrenching and just plain insane.

I grew em
Alley Kat
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like how The Fear connected the first two books in the series. A lot of events towards the end of this book actually occurred in the first book, so I was really confused at times. There were some pretty boring parts of the book, but the suspenseful parts made up for it by a long shot. Charlie Higson proved, once again, that he can kill anyone in this series. Two of my favorite characters died together towards the end of the book, and I was slightly heartbroken over that. I thought it wa ...more
Annmarie Ager
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fear is book three in the enemy series it follow five days before the last book ends. If you have not read the series DO! This series is like no other. Any way The fear followers the story of a few groups of kids in deep trouble they are all trying to survive in a world where all the grownups seem to have been turned into zombies . While zombies and dead kids is bad enough there is also lots of other things going on that give you chills the way some kids have turned into power hungry cold be ...more
Brian
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Higson scares the crap out of me...or at least his stories do, I've never met the man himself. Higson is proof that just because an author's book get tagged as a "young adult" title doesn't mean the work is second tier. Higson is a master of plot, stringing together pieces like the series is one giant jigsaw puzzle. He does for books what J. Michael Straczynski did for television. No scene is wasted, no plot point is a throw away, it all fits together, brilliantly in the end, and believe ...more
Trisha
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
"We're the new generation. We're the survivors. We're making a whole new world here. In the future, kids are going to want to know what happened."

Wow, a very very good book 3. Although I'm tired of getting to know a whole group of kids only have most of them die by the end, I'm at least remembering who our key players are and how they are going from book to book.

But I can already tell that the order is killing me. I wish I'd read 2 first, then this one, then the next one THEN book 1 THEN book 5.
Riley Schopf
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the character Dognut. The author changes his personality through out the book. In the book before The Fear, he is a loud talkative, and kind of annoying character. But the author makes him the new main character, and makes him a leader.
Kaethe
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-ya, fiction, zombies, uk
I loathe the relentless fat-shaming, and the gratuitous sexism, and the shallow characterization, but as adventure stories I just can't stop reading them.

Library copy
Jess
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie lovers
Holy crap. I hope there's another book coming out because that was one heck of a cliffhanger.
Caitlin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ladies and gentlemen, after reading this book, I have an announcement to make: Charlie Higson is a friggin’ genius.

Having read the first three books in The Enemy series, I have become enamored with his writing abilities and absolutely shocked by how each book becomes progressively more and more fantastic, even when I don’t think it’s possible.

Higson’s ability to interweave multiple story arcs, character arcs, and plotlines without sacrificing the quality or depth of any of them is absolutely mag
Conor McHugh
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Although it couldn't help but feel like a prologue. It fills in all the gaps created by the last two books in the series. In fact, the feeling i have after reading it, closely resembles that after watching "Deathly Hallow's Part 1".
And that feeling is, WHERE IS THE REST!?

In case you didn't know, in a nutshell, this book is the third in a series (with more to come) where all adults over the age of 14 (is it 14? i think it was) have either died, or become brainless, kiddy-eating zombi
Kahleia Corpuz
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dystopians never seems to fail me on its massive death count. Although, it was quite teenage angsty which makes me feel all types of awkward. This series sometimes make me forget they are kids because of how they act. Still, a must read series for any middle school student.
Kay
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As some might be able to relate to, I was absolutely terrified about buying an entire series at once without knowing about the writer or having read anything. However, the deal was good - I bought all seven parts of The Enemy - and it turns out I have nothing to regret. There is not that much to add to my (overall extremely positive) reviews on The Enemy and The Dead. So, a quick summary will do and one tiny point of criticism that leads to my 5 stars actually being 4.5.

The Fear follows Dognut,
Angrytuna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I cannot tell you about the amount of disgust I felt when reading this. I started the series with this one and upon finishing it went to read the first two to see if it changed anything. Nope not even a little bit. If I could go back in time to avoid reading this travesty I would gladly do so. Let me tell you about some of the gory details. (view spoiler) ...more
Fionn
2.5 stars.

After loving the last two books I was really disappointed with this one. My main issue was the romance, love triangle, and the fact I didn't like DogNut, Brooke or Courtney at all. Most of the characters I liked from the last book weren't in this one or only showed up briefly. When the focus shifted to Justin or Shadowman I enjoyed it a lot more. It got much easier to read towards the end as well when events started catching up with the first book.
Tasha
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to keep up with the characters in this one. Just not as gripping as the first in the series. A little too much emphasis on appearances in this book with little follow up. Will be interesting to see how that develops into the rest of the series
Zach E
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book focused a lot on the characters of book 2. There were some characters from book 1 that we had, but not many. It involved a lot more mental problems than physical. It is mainly, just like the second book, to tie up loose ends and to give a backstory for new ones. The end is very abrupt. It seemed to be thrown in to set up the plot for the next book( and book 1). It is good that the author is showing more light on the infected, through Shadowman's story. It also shows us that not all the ...more
J/LOSTBOY/WILLIAMS
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't stop with these books! Felt bad for two characters tho. I don't want to give it away.....😥
Erin
When I was younger and less responsible (ha), I would sometimes stay up late into the night, as late as it took, in order to finish a really good book. It's been awhile since I did that, but I think Charlie Higson deserved it. 1:40 a.m. isn't that intense, but let's just say I'm tired now. Worth it? Yes.

The only problem with reading this way is that after awhile my brain was getting a little fuzzy; plot events started to blur together. Apology in advance for any weirdness in this review.

I really
K.
3/6/2016
On reread, I'm bumping this up to 4 stars. Reading the books back to back, it's so obvious how many threads are running through the story and how they're all starting to pull together. Yes, it's gory and horrific and heartbreaking. But it's also fun and tense and constantly intriguing, even when it's stabbing you in the feels by killing your favourite characters.

22/5/2015
3.5 stars. I don't know what it was about this book, but I didn't enjoy it QUITE as much as the previous books. I fee
Mehsi
4.5 stars.

As these books progress, they get more gory and also more disturbing.

There were just times I had to stop reading, stop going on, and sometimes I just had to skip. And at other times I wanted to know more.
There are new disgusting characters in here. We got the collector, my God, he was scary and disturbing. Taking and maiming kids, and doing God knows what to them. We also have St George (who I knew from the next book), who is a very scary, smart and organized zombie. We also got vario
Teays Valley Readers: Zombie survival book 1 4 Oct 25, 2017 06:53PM
Crazy for Young A...: The Fear (The Enemy #3) by Charlie Higson → Start Date: March 4th, 2016 80 19 Mar 12, 2016 10:05PM
The Fear: Charlie higson fan forum 9 25 Aug 15, 2013 05:35PM
Favourite character?? 1 17 Feb 09, 2013 09:11AM
Jester(The Enemy) Vs Albert(Gone) 2 17 Jul 12, 2012 09:52AM
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
  • Vulpi (Thyla, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me, #1-2)
  • Underground (The Phoenix Files, #4)
  • The Infects
  • Horizon (Aftertime, #3)
  • Soulless
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)
  • Taken
  • Contaminated (Contaminated, #1)
  • Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5)
  • The Killing Floor (The Infection, #2)
Higson was educated at Sevenoaks School and at the University of East Anglia (where his brother has taught since 1986 and is now a professor of film studies) where he met Paul Whitehouse, David Cummings and Terry Edwards. Higson, Cummings and Edwards formed the band The Higsons of which Higson was the lead singer from 1980 to 1986. They released two singles on the Specials' 2-Tone label. Higson th ...more

The Enemy (7 books)
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • The Fallen (The Enemy #5)
  • The Hunted (The Enemy #6)
  • The End (The Enemy, #7)
'Very funny”
9 likes
“If we make our own history, if we tell stories that bring us together, we'll be stronger. It'll give us something to believe in. The sickos can't do that – they're no better than animals – but we can. Every battle we win we have to tell the story over and over, so that we can win more battles. People love stories. They've told stories since even before they could write. Myths and legends, stories of heroes and villains, gods and monsters. Real things happened, the story got told and then the stories became legends. That's what we've got to do – tell our own heroic stories.” 6 likes