Start by marking “Something Extraordinary” as Want to Read:
Something Extraordinary

Something Extraordinary

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Amazing things are happening all around you. You just need to know where to look—and this whimsical picture book is the perfect place to start.

Have you ever wished for something extraordinary? Like the ability to fly? Or to breathe underwater? What if you could talk to animals?

It’s fun to wish for amazing things. But take a look around, and you just might find that the mos
Published June 16th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Something Extraordinary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Extraordinary

Beth
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The wish and search for something extraordinary to happen often means we are missing out on the extraordinary things that are happening all around us that are just disguised as ordinary things. The message of this book puts me in mind of The Man with the Violin and how so often beautiful things are passing us by because we are too oblivious to notice.
Hmalowski
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - made me smile and my heart sing. All about imagination and wanting great things out of life. I want to read this book by the piano and play the notes the birds sing.
Heidi-Marie
I felt this one was a bit disjointed from all the wishing to how the end is. That might just be me. I still want to try it in storytime, but this isn't one I think would do as well in the Beehives. Sometimes sweet and/or wishful gets lost on that group.

6/22/16 Used in S is for theme. Opener because I figured I would have the smaller crowd because of late-comers. I was thinking this would be meh, but it went over SO well. The kids loved seeing what the boy was wishing/imagining. And they got the
Carrie Charley Brown
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Imagination gives birth to ideas and takes delight in making the impossible possible. Ben Clanton captures this essence through both wonder-filled words and whimsical, soft illustrations, as if daring the child to look at the world in creative ways. Look for hope and possibilities through the eyes of a young boy and all of his surroundings. Look for ways to make childhood wonder stay alive, even if it means every raindrop is a different flavor. Exploration and fun are at the forefront of this jo ...more
Holly
Sometimes the ordinary is extraordinary if you just look at it a little closer. I like this book as a writing workshop starter - maybe for Slice of Life.
Heidi
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love the message that real life holds what's most extraordinary.
Whitney Rachel
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
eh.
Aliza Werner
Beautiful illustrations, but the extraordinary was pretty mundane and subtle. Left me wanting more.
Jamila
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to enjoy reading this with my son. It's a lovely picture book for little dreamers, observers, poets, philosophers, and scientists.
Sarah (YA Love)
Paul Hankins just read this in his picture book remix session at Nerd Camp. The little boy makes me think of Jack.
Ashley
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harrison, jackson
Something Extraordinary by one of our favorites Ben Clanton is a great read for the beginning of the new year! After reading this adorable story about making a wish I talked to my four year old about his wishes for the new year. Just like in the book some of his wishes were ones that may not come true but then there were others that were extraordinary! With gorgeous illustrations and text that is simple but yet brings so much meaning this story is great for ages 4-8.
storymamas
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brittany
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple story. Simple drawings. Fun for the adventurous little kid in your life.
Jean
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations! What have you wished for?
Stacie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Child finds real world can be as magical as the imagination.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Sweet and imaginative with muted colors and a delightful ending.
Janet
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I love the illustrations, and I like some of the thoughts expressed in the book, but I felt like it really lacked a story-line, and I found myself rather confused at the end.
Tara Caillavet-Morgan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While wishing for something extraordinary to happen the little boy misses what is amazing all around him.
Nicole
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
"I wish the rain came in seven different colors."
Karen W
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is important to have goals and dream big, but this book reminds us to appreciate the extraordinary things that surround us everyday.
Tasha
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy has lots and lots of different wishes that he hopes come true. He wishes to be able to fly, to breathe underwater, that the robot he drew could come to life. Then they could play together in the rain that would come in seven different colors and flavors. He wishes for fangs and a tail. He wishes to be able to talk to animals and to have lots of wild and strange pets. But in the end, he mostly wishes that something extraordinary would happen to him. Something real. And suddenly, it d ...more
Kevin Doyle
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated and well-written with powerful, poignant words. All kids wish for amazing things, and Mr. Clanton brings this point to life by drawing for us an especially bright, cool-looking little boy who has several truly unique wishes. The clever drawings that accompany these wishes will inspire readers--both young and old--to illustrate their own dreamy ideas. When the little boy wishes he had fangs, and then says "I really REALLY wish I could talk with animals."...I'm right there ...more
Juliana Lee
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes wishes do come true. This little boy wishes that the things he draws could come to life. In his imagination his robots and unusual pets come to life. When he steps he makes funny sounds and rain comes in many different colors and flavors. He even grows a bushy tail and fangs. But when he closes his notebook, everything goes back to normal. Then he makes a wish for something real and something extraordinary, and THAT wish comes true!
Diane
A child wishes for all kinds of imaginative things ("I wish the rain came in seven different colors ... and flavors!" and "I wish my drawings could come to life."), but what he really wants is for something real to happen. And when he looks around at the world, he sees some extraordinary things and that wish comes true.

Students will love all the imaginative wishes that the little boy has. I can even see my students doing some wishing of their own and illustrating those wishes. Could be a fun ext
Kate Hastings
Grades K-2. Children love making wishes! In this book, a boy shares all the things he wishes for-- rain that comes in different colors and flavors, that his drawings would come to life, that he could grow a tail and fangs. But his wishes don't come true.

This book could be used as a text to discuss realistic goals versus impossible goals-- or how sometimes a tweak can help something extraordinary happen.

Great for imagination and creativity-- have kids write their own extraordinary wishes!
Becky B
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy has many, many wishes swimming around in his imagination, but he finds the best things of all are the little miracles that happen in real life.

Loved the illustration style with just touches of color, but the conclusion of the book is best of all. A good book to encourage kids who often have their heads in the clouds to come to earth and find some real things to enjoy once in a while. (Though not minimizing the importance of imagination either.)
Erin Buhr
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever blown on a dandelion and made a wish? The little boy in this story has some extraordinary wishes, but the thing he wants the most is for something to happen. Something real. And it turns out that extraordinary things are sometimes simple and ordinary. A magical book with gentle illustrations and whimsical imagination that will have you wishing and noticing the extraordinary, ordinary things all around you.
Hannah Mousha-book
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A you boy dreams of more and yearns for magic around him in this stunning picture book that warms your heart and sparks your imagination!Ben Clanton, the author and illustrator who brought us greats like Mo's Mustache and Rex Wrecks It, brings us something a little extraordinary... Perfect for all ages!
Samantha
A collection of wishes that reveal the main character's imagination and his wonderful view of the world.

I really liked the suggestions about the rainbow rain in a variety of colors and flavors.

Watercolor and pencil illustrations perfectly complement the delicate nature of the boy's wishes. PreK-2.
Lynn
After first reading this, I didn't consider a bird singing an 'extraordinary' thing, but I've changed my mind. After thinking about it for a bit, I think we should consider anything in nature extraordinary, and should stop and enjoy them, as this lad did!
Soft browns, green/bluish tones feel like the outdoors, but in the fall when bright summer colors are gone.
  • Rufus the Writer
  • My Pen
  • To the Sea
  • One Word from Sophia
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • I Didn't Do My Homework Because...
  • The Skunk
  • This Is Sadie
  • Mustache Baby Meets His Match
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • In My Heart: A Book of Feelings
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Nasreddine
Ben Clanton is the author/illustrator of such books as Something Extraordinary, Rex Wrecks It!, Mo's Mustache, Vote for Me!, and The Table Sets Itself. When Ben isn't doodling up stories (and often when he is) he likes to cook, explore outdoors, and play basketball. Ben lives in Seattle, WA with his wife and goldendoodle pup. Find out more about Ben at www.benclanton.com.
More about Ben Clanton

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things